View Poll Results: Which album is better?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heaven and Hell

47 58.02%
  • Blizzard of Ozz

24 29.63%
  • Apples and Oranges

10 12.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    He mentions it in more than one interview. This one from August 14, 1981 Did you like Black Sabbath? I wasn't a big Sabbath fan, to be honest. They were great at what they did, Obviously they did it well, and made it huge. I respect that. Let's not go into it, but I wasn't a big fan. So anyway, I was kind of wary about auditioning because I'd never been to an audition. When I did come down, he said all these guys had Marshall stacks and Echoplexes. I brought a tiny practice amp. I started tuning up and he said, "You've got the gig. I didn't even get a chance to play, and I was in a recording studio with no musicians to jam with.
    Im know he wasnt a fan but i dont think he was into h&h or mob either

Quote Originally Posted by OIM View Post
    Ive heard that story here before. Is there anything to back it up?
    Im know he wasnt a fan but i dont think he was into h&h or mob either
    I know I've read it in several sources that Rhoads really liked H&H much to Ozzy's distain. The original source is a mystery to me though, so it might be true or not.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    I know I've read it in several sources that Rhoads really liked H&H much to Ozzy's distain. The original source is a mystery to me though, so it might be true or not.
    I heard it here but I'm skeptical that its true. I could hear him say he liked A song not two whole albums from Ozzy's former bandmates.

I voted Blizzard of Oz - I like Ozzy's vocals better than RJD.
    Very good lyrics too!!!!

Blizzard has more epic songs - Mr. Crowley - Revelation Mother Earth - Suicide Solution

Ozzy couldn't have found a better new guitarist than Randy Rhoads.

Heaven and Hell does have better production though.

I heard it here but I'm skeptical that its true. I could hear him say he liked A song not two whole albums from Ozzy's former bandmates.
    Blackmore was one of his favourites, I guess considering Ronnie sang in Rainbow it mightn't be such a stretch that RR liked the Dio fronted Sabbath...if he did I'm sure he had the good sense not to mention it at work

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Blackmore was one of his favourites, I guess considering Ronnie sang in Rainbow it mightn't be such a stretch that RR liked the Dio fronted Sabbath...if he did I'm sure he had the good sense not to mention it at work
    Now that I think of it, the original quote might have been courtesy of Bob Daisley saying the band members digged H&H and were listening to it secretly behind Ozzy's back
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler

I believe Gary Sharpe-Young's book covers this.

I can't remember who it was being interviewed in the book (Daisley?) but apparently during the sessions for Blizzard they all listened to Heaven and Hell and were pretty blown away. It goes on to discuss how Ozzy became somewhat obsessed by it and couldn't believe how good it was. That even once Blizzard was completed he was asking for reassurance from they others and if they really felt it could stand up to H&H.

While I am sure Rhoads had no reason to lie in saying that he wasn't really a Sabbath fan before joining Ozzy's band, I think there can be little doubt that Heaven And Hell was a bit influential on the thinking of some of the aspects of BoO.

Both albums are fantastic, but H&H easily wins out for me. It has aged far better and there is a level of compositional maturity there which Ozzy's album just can't touch, IMO.

It makes sense that they would listen to it to try and top it. In my opinion they succeeded.

It makes sense that they would listen to it to try and top it. In my opinion they succeeded.
    I'm not sure that was the goal. If it was, IMO, they failed.

BoO is a great album and Ozzy's vocal melodies are sensational, but overall the songs on H&H just stomp all over it. "Neon Knights" alone has moments of such subtle genius it still blows me away. And the more involved stuff like the title track, "Wishing Well" and "Die Young" is simply top shelf with virtually no peer outside of Jimmy Page in terms of heavy rock composing, IMO.

To each his own. But lasting power alone Blizzard wins bar none. Look at any classic rock radio playlist

To each his own. But lasting power alone Blizzard wins bar none. Look at any classic rock radio playlist
    That means zilch to me.

Classic Rock Radio programmers are asleep at the wheel, and should never be referenced as proof positive of anything but utter laziness.

Not to mention that if I went by what they think I'd probably be under the impression that "Crazy Train" was Ozzy's only solo song before the No More Tears album.

I can understand your frustration with rock radio but that's just one example of how the songs from that album are still everywhere. The album and its songs are also on a ton of rock top whatever lists and usually ahead of H&H and its tracks.
    Last edited by OIM; 06-17-2014 at 05:30 PM.

I can understand your frustration with rock radio but that's just one example of how the songs from that album are still everywhere. it's also on a ton of rock top 10 lists usually ahead of H&H
    So by this logic, I take it that you think AC/DC is the best band ever?

Personally, I don't care much about popularity. If I used that as a measuring stick for quality then I'd just listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller on repeat.

I think Blizzard sounds more dated than H&H and maybe even its popularity contributes to that. The guitar tones are like a poor man's Tom Scholz and the songs are overall not as good as Diary, IMO. I just don't think it's as good an album as H&H even if overall Ozzy will always be my favorite Sabbath singer over Ronnie.

If radio play is considered, Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley are the only songs I hear regularly on rock radio. Actually, I don't think I've ever (sadly) heard other cuts from Blizzard on radio. From H&H I hear the title track, Neon Knights, COS and Die Young pretty regularly. I've even heard Walk Away once

I think Ozzy is often seen as more of an "singles" artist with lots of big hits spread all over the 80's/early 90's and the deeper cuts are under appreciated than with Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I'm not sure that was the goal. If it was, IMO, they failed.

BoO is a great album and Ozzy's vocal melodies are sensational, but overall the songs on H&H just stomp all over it. "Neon Knights" alone has moments of such subtle genius it still blows me away. And the more involved stuff like the title track, "Wishing Well" and "Die Young" is simply top shelf with virtually no peer outside of Jimmy Page in terms of heavy rock composing, IMO.
    I prefer BoO over HaH, but they are both great works. I just prefer Ozzy over Dio, and I agree that Ozzy's vocal harmonies are second to none. Nice nod to Jimmy by the way. I agree that Tony and Jimmy are both pretty amazing at their craft.

As an aside to anyone who may have PM'd me: my PM feature still does not work.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

If radio play is considered, Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley are the only songs I hear regularly on rock radio. Actually, I don't think I've ever (sadly) heard other cuts from Blizzard on radio. From H&H I hear the title track, Neon Knights, COS and Die Young pretty regularly. I've even heard Walk Away once I think Ozzy is often seen as more of an "singles" artist with lots of big hits spread all over the 80's/early 90's and the deeper cuts are under appreciated than with Sabbath.
    Where do you live? In canada on fm radio they never play dio sabbath

Where do you live? In canada on fm radio they never play dio sabbath
    I can vouch for that. I don't think I have ever once heard a DIO Sabbath song, or a Tony Martin Sabbath song, on Canadian radio....ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    I can vouch for that. I don't think I have ever once heard a DIO Sabbath song, or a Tony Martin Sabbath song, on Canadian radio....ever.
    Me either. Not once.

Finland. Never heard Martin-era Sabbath either though aside from Headless Cross when they were doinga retrospect on Sabbath on Radio Rock.

Banned

If radio play is considered, Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley are the only songs I hear regularly on rock radio. Actually, I don't think I've ever (sadly) heard other cuts from Blizzard on radio. From H&H I hear the title track, Neon Knights, COS and Die Young pretty regularly. I've even heard Walk Away once
    About two years ago or so the entire Heaven And Hell album was in play at Radio Rock's night jukebox...even Wishing Well and Walk Away! Which was really cool!

And I can testify again that there really aren't that many Blizzard songs in play that I've heard...I'll add I Don't Know to the list though....that's in rather steady rotation as well.

In the UK, Planet Rock play Dio-Sabbath quite a lot I think I may even have heard them play a Martin-Sabbath the other month!
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    About two years ago or so the entire Heaven And Hell album was in play at Radio Rock's night jukebox...even Wishing Well and Walk Away! Which was really cool!

And I can testify again that there really aren't that many Blizzard songs in play that I've heard...I'll add I Don't Know to the list though....that's in rather steady rotation as well.
    That's cool! I know H&H was played in it's entirety as part of the "top 100 rock albums of all time" listing, but that is news to me.

And yeah, I Don't Know is certainly on a regular rotation of the Blizzard songs (and a great song it is!). Still stand by my earlier statement that Ozzy is probably seen more as a "singles" artist by the masses. You hear a lot of Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Bark, Shot In The Dark, Mama, No More Tears an Dreamer but not lot of deeper cuts like you do with Sabbath or even DIO.
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-18-2014 at 05:43 AM.

I can understand your frustration with rock radio but that's just one example of how the songs from that album are still everywhere. The album and its songs are also on a ton of rock top whatever lists and usually ahead of H&H and its tracks.
    OIM i love ya buddy , but the above 2 statements are so far from the truth in the world of music it's not even funny .... Blizzard is considered a very well achieved release , on the other hand HEAVEN N HE is considered a benchmark that very few albums from any genre are on par with.

Heaven n Hell is one of the most influential albums of all time , graded by experts on a scale you would be hard pressed to ever find Blizzard on .... don't mistake popularity with credibility , one is a great listen , the other is a timeless landmark achievement.... and if your talking the test of time , and this has nothing to do with Osbourne vs Dio , both the best at what they bring to the table obviously , but I know your thoughts on Osbourne , so I'm just reminding in today's world the ONLY release in Ozzy's career , sabbath or otherwise to be as relevant today as it was back then on par with Heaven n hell .... is paranoid.

In the music business we will use "A love supreme" by Coltrane as a perfect example of an album released at a perfect time to catch fire .... much like Blizzard. ..... on the other hand during conversation Miles "kind of blue" is the pinnacle most would use to describe a standard setting benchmark such as Heaven n Hell.

It's funny a bit , cause on these forums there is a tendency to believe that the Oz man as a collective whole is much more then he actually is , the guy as a part of Sabbath was brilliant , groundbreaking and on a level matched by very few .... as a solo artist the man released 2 truly important releases and then that is it ...... outside of popularity alone , the achievements beyond are what they are.

Also by a few there is a misperception of how the annuals of one Ronnie James Dio is perceived in the music world ..... the guy is an iconic legend based solely on his TALENTS , professionalism and character , besides the fact that he has been part of some of the most important albums of our generation.

As for radio play , my goodness , outside of crazy train .... the epic tracks off heaven n hell here in NJ are ALWAYS in rotation .... tho it means nothing.

Aa for metal / rock critics .... "what is that silly one??" Just to use as an example of fans of our genre , oh got it ....

Blizzard a 73% user average rating , 15 reviews over 12 years .... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums...ard_of_Ozz/810

Heaven n hell a 90% user average rating , 15 reviews over 12 years .... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums...m_tabs_reviews

Not that it matters , but sticking with the fans of our music .... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....322563/page-4

Even the consensus of these guys .... http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...lizzard-of-Ozz

..... you know when I leave the forums and I'm not involved in the countless runs of my existence , I'm then very much involved with true metal maniacs , fans of Sabbath , musicians and so called experts .... and In those world's as great of an album that Blizzard is , truly as I said before it is a mere whimper in comparison to the Majesty that is HEAVEN N HELL!!!

God Bless

"Popularity doesn't matter, what matters is what the experts tell us to think" - John Lennon

Ok, so not really John Lennon. Here's another quote though

"I don't care if my album sells a single copy, what really matters is if it gets a good review" - No Artist Ever

Banned

And yeah, I Don't Know is certainly on a regular rotation of the Blizzard songs (and a great song it is!). Still stand by my earlier statement that Ozzy is probably seen more as a "singles" artist by the masses. You hear a lot of Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Bark, Shot In The Dark, Mama, No More Tears an Dreamer but not lot of deeper cuts like you do with Sabbath or even DIO.
    That is very very true indeed. Those are the only songs that really play on Radio Rock...sometimes Not Going Away but that was a single too anyways so...it just validates your point.

Talk about deeper cuts from DIO I just heard Just Another Day a while back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
    "Popularity doesn't matter, what matters is what the experts tell us to think" - John Lennon

Ok, so not really John Lennon. Here's another quote though

"I don't care if my album sells a single copy, what really matters is if it gets a good review" - No Artist Ever
    Oh so true. That's why "13" is a piece of crap...... because it sold as well as Saturday Night Fever.

People will always twist and contort facts to suit their agenda. I'm just glad I like both albums.

And, yes, I do love "13", despite the fact that it committed the evil sin of selling well. Maybe it's a pop album, but it works for me.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Oh so true. That's why "13" is a piece of crap...... because it sold as well as Saturday Night Fever.

People will always twist and contort facts to suit their agenda. I'm just glad I like both albums.
    Did you mean both 13 and Saturday Night Fever or both H&H and BoO? I must confess I don't think I ever listened to Saturday Night Fever. Something about the cover turned me off.

I should clarify that for my part, I certainly don't hold it against an album for selling well. If H&H were 50x Platinum, I'd still rate it above BoO.

To me, Heaven and Hell is simply a better album than Blizzard Of Ozz. Both albums are in a realm of sales where discussion of such strikes me as somewhat irrelevant. Both were highly successful and I don't feel sorry for either album in this regard. Blizzard was even more successful (though not in the UK) and especially as the years have passed. I'm just saying that I hardly think the fact that "Crazy Train" has been adopted by the masses as an easy to swallow "Ozzy" pill argues the point that it has aged better. I just don't think it has. H&H sounds like a cohesive ensemble performing at the highest level. The production has also aged gracefully. The writing and arranging by Dio and Iommi was simply on a different level from everything else going on at the time, IMO.

Blizzard sort of took some cues from H&H and Ozzy is off the charts on it but it also gets caught up in some clichéd hard rock that without Ozzy's voice wouldn't amount to squat. I mean, stuff like "Steal Away" and "No Bone Movies" just sound like UFO outtakes. Ozzy's voice saves them but come on! Dio, Iommi, Butler and Ward were fully developed MUSICIANS, not wankers. They had a full arsenal of unique rock tricks up their sleeves and abilities to craft deeply textured compositions. Heaven and Hell strikes as a complete statement. A mature, thoroughly developed group of musicians striving to attain a new sound to build a future upon. BoO has this component in many ways, but in other ways it tries too hard and doesn't always have the compositional depth to even be discussed in the same breath as H&H.

Jeff I'm thinking you may be romanticizing Heaven & Hell because it's the first black Sabbath album you ever heard. Completely understandable

Jeff I'm thinking you may be romanticizing Heaven & Hell because it's the first black Sabbath album you ever heard. Completely understandable
    You must be confusing me with another member of the forum.

Never Say Die! was the first Black Sabbath album I ever heard.

A mature, thoroughly developed group of musicians striving to attain a new sound to build a future upon. BoO has this component in many ways, but in other ways it tries too hard and doesn't always have the compositional depth to even be discussed in the same breath as H&H.
    I like how you go into a bit of detail Jeff. I wonder if you could explain a bit more what you mean by "compositional depth", maybe an example of such from H&H and an example that shows how the songs off BoO don't have that. And the maturity thing as well, is that just because of the mustaches? That was a joke, but is there something in the music that sounds mature on H&H and not so much on BoO, and if so, what is it? I expect you have some good examples, no offense intended.

I like how you go into a bit of detail Jeff. I wonder if you could explain a bit more what you mean by "compositional depth", maybe an example of such from H&H and an example that shows how the songs off BoO don't have that. And the maturity thing as well, is that just because of the mustaches? That was a joke, but is there something in the music that sounds mature on H&H and not so much on BoO, and if so, what is it? I expect you have some good examples, no offense intended.
    Well, even as a musician with 35 years experience, I know enough to know this all comes down to opinion and there is no "expert" when it comes to differing tastes.

So, IMO, I'll just say that the arrangements and harmonic developments on H&H are so far beyond most of BoO that to compare the two would be downright silly. I'd put the title track, "Wishing Well" and "Die Young" up against anything even by bands like Yes who specialize in more thought out and developed arrangements. The mood changes and thoroughly worked out themes are absolutely off the charts. BoO is a great rock and roll album with an amazing vocal melody architect and sensational backing band. Heaven and Hell is a fucking epic statement and one of the highest caliber rock music endeavors. It is a statement executed with amazing dexterity but also restraint and the overall musical brand is somehow never outweighed by individual showmanship.

So, IMO, I'll just say that the arrangements and harmonic developments on H&H are so far beyond most of BoO that to compare the two would be downright silly.
    That is a comparison you realize. You just called yourself silly! Nyah hah!

Anyways, good enough for me, thanks Jeff!

The only thing i care about is that H&H is leading in the polls. ^^^ Great points Jeff. I agree with most of that.

That is a comparison you realize. You just called yourself silly! Nyah hah!
    Heh. True.

But my point was really that they are different types of albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    That is very very true indeed. Those are the only songs that really play on Radio Rock...sometimes Not Going Away but that was a single too anyways so...it just validates your point.

Talk about deeper cuts from DIO I just heard Just Another Day a while back!
    They also play Holy Diver a lot on New York's Rock Radio, and not just the title track.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    OIM i love ya buddy , but the above 2 statements are so far from the truth in the world of music it's not even funny .... Blizzard is considered a very well achieved release , on the other hand HEAVEN N HE is considered a benchmark that very few albums from any genre are on par with.

Heaven n Hell is one of the most influential albums of all time , graded by experts on a scale you would be hard pressed to ever find Blizzard on .... don't mistake popularity with credibility , one is a great listen , the other is a timeless landmark achievement.... and if your talking the test of time , and this has nothing to do with Osbourne vs Dio , both the best at what they bring to the table obviously , but I know your thoughts on Osbourne , so I'm just reminding in today's world the ONLY release in Ozzy's career , sabbath or otherwise to be as relevant today as it was back then on par with Heaven n hell .... is paranoid.

In the music business we will use "A love supreme" by Coltrane as a perfect example of an album released at a perfect time to catch fire .... much like Blizzard. ..... on the other hand during conversation Miles "kind of blue" is the pinnacle most would use to describe a standard setting benchmark such as Heaven n Hell.

It's funny a bit , cause on these forums there is a tendency to believe that the Oz man as a collective whole is much more then he actually is , the guy as a part of Sabbath was brilliant , groundbreaking and on a level matched by very few .... as a solo artist the man released 2 truly important releases and then that is it ...... outside of popularity alone , the achievements beyond are what they are.

Also by a few there is a misperception of how the annuals of one Ronnie James Dio is perceived in the music world ..... the guy is an iconic legend based solely on his TALENTS , professionalism and character , besides the fact that he has been part of some of the most important albums of our generation.

As for radio play , my goodness , outside of crazy train .... the epic tracks off heaven n hell here in NJ are ALWAYS in rotation .... tho it means nothing.

Aa for metal / rock critics .... "what is that silly one??" Just to use as an example of fans of our genre , oh got it ....

Blizzard a 73% user average rating , 15 reviews over 12 years .... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums...ard_of_Ozz/810

Heaven n hell a 90% user average rating , 15 reviews over 12 years .... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums...m_tabs_reviews

Not that it matters , but sticking with the fans of our music .... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....322563/page-4

Even the consensus of these guys .... http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...lizzard-of-Ozz

..... you know when I leave the forums and I'm not involved in the countless runs of my existence , I'm then very much involved with true metal maniacs , fans of Sabbath , musicians and so called experts .... and In those world's as great of an album that Blizzard is , truly as I said before it is a mere whimper in comparison to the Majesty that is HEAVEN N HELL!!!

God Bless
    Perfectly said doc! You know how I feel about heaven and hell!!

Well, even as a musician with 35 years experience, I know enough to know this all comes down to opinion and there is no "expert" when it comes to differing tastes.

So, IMO, I'll just say that the arrangements and harmonic developments on H&H are so far beyond most of BoO that to compare the two would be downright silly. I'd put the title track, "Wishing Well" and "Die Young" up against anything even by bands like Yes who specialize in more thought out and developed arrangements. The mood changes and thoroughly worked out themes are absolutely off the charts. BoO is a great rock and roll album with an amazing vocal melody architect and sensational backing band. Heaven and Hell is a fucking epic statement and one of the highest caliber rock music endeavors. It is a statement executed with amazing dexterity but also restraint and the overall musical brand is somehow never outweighed by individual showmanship.
    Excellent perspective. My choice has always been Blizzard.

My favorite music is determined by my personal tastes and preferences. I am not a musician, I only dabble a bit in writing and poetry. I do not put much stock in popularity contests, polls, and the opinions of critics and so-called experts. When comparing bands and individual musicians, there are always more technically sound performers, faster guitar players, etc. In the end, every one will choose his own favorites. For me, Ozzy's unique vocal style and versatility make him my top choice. Each album brings something new, in Sabbath, or solo. Compare Black Sabbath with Sabotage. Blizzard with No More Tears. I respect Dio, but his vocal style is often redundant. I believe that several of Ozzy's solo albums were both excellent and influential. His solo career did not crash and burn after Diary. Ozzy has cultivated some great guitar players- Randy, Jake, and Zakk. I do not like Changes and Mama. Shot in the Dark was one of my least favorite tracks on the Ultimate Sin, however I rate all of Ozzy's solo albums as good to excellent. Meanwhile, Tony kept Black Sabbath alive and kept the great riffs rolling. Unfortunately, the unbeatable wall of sound created by Tony, Geezer, and Bill did not remain in tact. I do not share Doc's love of Black Sabbath post Ian Gillan. There is a lot of great material in the 40+ year history of Black Sabbath and I always prefer the combination of Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Bill.

I mentioned it before, but I could and can always relate to the lyrics in (classic) Ozzy songs much more than Dio's as a young fella and even now.
    Like the original Sabbath, the songs aren't usually about knights and dragons and are generally more about living your life the best you can.
    I like fantasy and sword and sorcery imagery just fine, but for the most part Ozzy's songs were more "mature" lyrically as far as I'm concerned and set them apart from Iron Maiden and all that.
    Kind of like what Sabman just touched upon, I find that Dio could overdo things vocally, and some of his lyrics are pretty nonsensical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    I mentioned it before, but I could and can always relate to the lyrics in (classic) Ozzy songs much more than Dio's as a young fella and even now.
    Like the original Sabbath, the songs aren't usually about knights and dragons and are generally more about living your life the best you can.
    I like fantasy and sword and sorcery imagery just fine, but for the most part Ozzy's songs were more "mature" lyrically as far as I'm concerned and set them apart from Iron Maiden and all that.
    Kind of like what Sabman just touched upon, I find that Dio could overdo things vocally, and some of his lyrics are pretty nonsensical to me.
    I can relate to this, but I feel H&H is Dio's high point. And the lyrics are not exactly Geezer Butler at his best but they range from more than tolerable to very good.

I suppose the way some feel about Dio "overdoing" things is the way I feel about Randy Rhoads' guitar playing. I guess that's why in the final analysis, I find the Ozzy/Iommi combination to be untouchable.