View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Australian band?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • AC/DC

34 61.82%
  • Rose Tattoo

3 5.45%
  • Buffalo

4 7.27%
  • Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

2 3.64%
  • INXS

2 3.64%
  • The Swans

0 0%
  • Midnight Oil

2 3.64%
  • Cold Chisel

0 0%
  • Wolfmother

3 5.45%
  • Other (please specify)

5 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your favourite AUSTRALIAN rock band?

Because people have been talking about a poll like this in some of the other threads, I decided to get it over with and actually make it

PS.

I know that there are tons of popular/great Aussie bands which did not make it to the final 9. Silverchair probably deserved to be in the poll and so did Powderfinger, Crowded House, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, and the list goes on and on and on. I tried to nominate bands which I've seen people talk about here, so hopefully I didn't miss the favourite Aussie band of too many members
    Last edited by Sir Kenneth; 11-23-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Voted AC/DC but thought hard about voting for Wolfmother (hadn't actually realised they were Aussie!) love what I've heard but really need to hear a little more of them. Love some of Nick Caves stuff too ... then again some of it sucks!

Off Topic - Australia ... time to kiss the Ashes goodbye!

Hey, anyone know the hot looking blond chic's name form Australia who plays guitar, I was looking at some Sturgis Bike Rally pics last night that my brother took, and he had some killer shots of her, her band played at Sturgis this year... I've been out to Bike Week a couple times, but they have new huge stages now, and mutiple big name bands playing throughout the week. She was real cute, young, and played a killer guitar...my bro couldn't remember her name or the band, anyone know who Im talking about?

Been listening to Fraternity a lot lately, so I'll pick "Other (please specify)".
    We dont see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
    Because people have been talking about a poll like this in some of the other threads, I decided to get it over with and actually make it

PS.

I know that there are tons of popular/great Aussie bands which did not make it to the final 9. Silverchair probably deserved to be in the poll and so did Powderfinger, Crowded House, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, and the list goes on and on and on. I tried to nominate bands which I've seen people talk about here, so hopefully I didn't miss the favourite Aussie band of too many members
    Oh, cheers to ya, Ken, for swiftly starting this thread on Aussie rock bands,...right after DiosSword and I talked about it, in his Canadian rock bands thread, yesterday. Cool to see this poll.

Now, excepting AC/DC, I honestly like/love all the rest of the bands on your list. I even have forum threads here, on three of them.

I'd have thought The Bee Gees, (despite being born and mostly raised in England, but they are still aussie) and phenomenally popular abroad, would figure here. A lot of Australian country music is pretty darn original and wildly popular, at home and away. Guys and gals like Keith Urban, Lee Kernaghan, Kasey Chambers, Gina Jeffreys would be fair contenders to appear on any poll. Mental As Anything, Noiseworkds, The Angels, Regurgitator, Spiderbait, Icehouse, Peter Allen are a bunch of highly reputed bands/artistes that spring to mind as worthy mentions had the poll allowed more than ten choices.

You're also right on the money about some of the other acts that you cite here, but didn't include in your final list of nine bands. I'm very tempted to choose 'Other' and mention any one of the several superb Australian 'extreme metal' bands that I've loved most, from the start. However, I'd rather not...and instead vote for one of the nine bands I see here.

At any rate, the Australian music scene (and there are reputed acts of nearly every genre here in this country) has long ago largely stepped out of the shadows of American/British influence and dominance. Today, there are tons of very talented, original, and successful Australian artistes, in every genre, many of whom are little-known outside our shores. Our annual 'The Big Day Out' festival has got to be one of the greatest musical expositions in the world, of local and foreign acts. Ken, I hope you have been there at one, in your time in Oz. There are very many music academies (and universities, and even philanthropists) to which many popular, successful Aussie bands owe a whole lot, for all kinds of sustained support they have got from them.

The Q Club in Melbourne has been one of my favourite hang-outs for seeing and savouring quality aussie rock and other music, since my high school years. And my own Adelaide has been the city of origin of the famed Australian 'pub rock' scene, that has spawned several top bands, over the years.

Anyway, I won't rudely ramble and bore you all any further.

After a desperately difficult tug-of-war between Rose Tattoo, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Swans, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and Buffalo, all bands I adore, to varying extents...I'm gonna sweat over it no more....and sincerely vote for pioneering Aussie heavy metal honchos, Buffalo.

edit: Ady is right, Buffalo is just awesome, all on its own.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-23-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I didn't even have to think about this, Buffalo.

Volcanic Rock is one of the best hard rock albums of all time. Dave Tice is one of the best hard rock vocalists of all time. Amazing.
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie
    Hey Charlie, that's ridiculously premature, mate....Don't get too far ahead of yourself before the Ashes have even begun, eh. Last time Glenn McGrath predicted we'd win 5-0, we actually did. But ok, this time I'm punting that even with this very ordinary, inconsistent side we've got, we'd still pummel the Poms 2-1, eventually...in our backyard, this summer. So, tell Strauss and lads to kiss their wives and girlfriends real good, before embarking on their long--losing--summer tour Down Under.

edit: Ken, did you vote for the incomparable Nick Cave? I would, too, if Buffalo didn't get in the way, you know.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-23-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Gonna have to familiarize myself with Wolfmother, Buffalo, The Swans and Cold Chisel before I vote. HATE AC/DC after Back In Black. Love Midnight Oil, Icehouse (Electric Blue, right?), INXS, Nick Cave...

Gotta go do some listening... Oh what a shame, huh?
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    Hey Charlie, that's ridiculously premature, mate....Don't get too far ahead of yourself before the Ashes have even begun, eh. Last time Glenn McGrath predicted we'd win 5-0, we actually did. But ok, this time I'm punting that even with this very ordinary, inconsistent side we've got, we'd still pummel the Poms 2-1, eventually...in our backyard, this summer. So, tell Strauss and lads to kiss their wives and girlfriends real good, before embarking on their long--losing--summer tour Down Under.
    Risen to the bait like a true Aussie!

In all seriousness I think it could be close this time. But we'll be playing with 10 men since Pietersen has done sod all in ages, and they'll still pick him for his past glories!

MEN AT WORK!

kidding, I do like "Land down under" though. Went with AC/DC.

Was into Destryer 666 a while back, but as most extreme metal bands they get somewhat repetitive & more expense with headache pills.

I have I Killed The Prom Queen & Alchemist albums, the only INXS album i had was Kick '87 & Rose Tattoo's Assault & Battery '82, & did buy a copy of Buisiness As Usual from Men At Work, Acca Dacca get the vote i 'spose although their roots are from Scotland...not much is there Lol!

Think their music output's more pop 'aint it, Savage Garden, Delta Goodram, Holly Valance, Nat Imbruglia, Dani & Kylie, Tina Arena not forgetting the mighty Rolf Harris, complete with didgereedoo, wobble board, Two Little Boys & crap paintings

Shout to Bob Daisley though

Banned

Yet another poll that isn't really my thing! Since I don't know most of these bands either!

But I'll still go with AC/DC...simply put, they rock.

I voted AC/DC, Powerage is a great album, my favourite of theirs... but I wasn't familiar with Buffalo before now, who sound great from what I've heard today.

I like a bit of Virgin Black occasionally, but like a lot of gothic stuff it's variable.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

I'm only familiar with AC/DC and Wolfmother. Went with AC/DC.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

That one band with the lightning bolt in the name.

Voted for Midnight Oil - great band & they were fantastic live when I saw them
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    Voted for Midnight Oil - great band & they were fantastic live when I saw them
    Word for word, 100%.
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

edit: Ken, did you vote for the incomparable Nick Cave? I would, too, if Buffalo didn't get in the way, you know.
    Well at least if Australia wins, it won't be with generous help from South Africa And yes I voted for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

I submit this is a silly poll.

This is a board for a band that's a metal band. OF COURSE AC/DC is going to win the poll. Although "technically", they're not really from Australia, anyway.

But outside of INXS, I've never heard of the others.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

AC/DC

Although I do really like Wolfmother
    "I can honestly say its truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    ... HATE AC/DC after Back In Black.
    Thank u ...I thought i was alone in that one...BON AC/DC

Then I would have to say... Bee Gees ...

Good enough fer Ozzy good enough for me... http://youtu.be/TWhj0e60jyc ... jk. jk...Nothing sucks harder than this...well maybe except Jenna...but thats another story/site...

Also worth notice...

Little River Band ...http://youtu.be/mFLdHx2ZXUA

And yes, even after all these years....Disco still sucks,

Mackie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

This is a board for a band that's a metal band. OF COURSE AC/DC is going to win the poll. Although "technically", they're not really from Australia, anyway.

Hi Joe - if you're not familiar with Midnight Oil - check them out - here's a link to their one hit in the US - beds are burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E - RLP had a thread on them as well - http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...light=midnight

One other on the Poll that I always liked is Rose Tattoo - great band love Angry's voice - Butcher & Fast Eddy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2bWmOT6Ds

One not on the poll that I also like is Heaven - their first 2 LP's are great - in the begining - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlNd3VZm3lc
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

I didn't vote AC/DC because they are so much better than anyone else on this list it just isn't even fair, so i voted for Other. I didn't see Men At Work on the list and they were an amazing band. They were all much more talented and deeper than their hits. Check out songs like Down By The Sea, No Restrictions, No Sign Of Yesterday, Blue For You and Touching The Untouchables. Much more rock oriented than their singles.

Actually solo Colin Hay is fantastic and he is a great songwriter and lyricist. Check out some of his stuff as well. I am not kidding!!!
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Men at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

Oh come off it, Joe.. For starters, all of these few recent poll threads have been explicitly about Rock bands, on this supposedly all-Metal board. Besides, even AC/DC isn't exactly 'metal' in the estimation of an apparent majority of the band's fans and non-fans, alike. AC/DC is definitely no more metal than, say, Van Halen. I don't see too many people calling VH metal, though I'd argue they (and yes AC/DC, too) are
    'heavy metal' in some ways. But both of these bands are almost universally, and mostly fairly, described as 'Hard Rock'.

Also, this isn't a 'silly poll' at all. If anything, what's actually slightly silly and sad, is the fact that so few American and other rock/metal fans around the world, rightly or wrongly, know so damn little of some of these otherwise very talented and acclaimed Australian acts. AC/DC has run away with this poll, NOT because they are Metal, in a group of Rock bands, as you implied, but because they happen to be such a huge block-buster best-selling band, internationally, and basically the ONLY band so many members here seem to have ever heard and known about. Look how you yourself admit to not knowing any of the bands named here, excepting the very international, very successful, very cool INXS.

Finally, Acca Dacca are actually as much 'Australian' as very many other non-musician, non-famous, non-native (naturalised or any other) citizens of my great country. Of course, it's another thing altogether how I wish that sucky band indeed weren't at all Australian in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth
    Well at least if Australia wins, it won't be with generous help from South Africa And yes I voted for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Oh well, we had the South African Kepler Wessels open our batting in Tests, for a few years. But then we always had several even better players than Wessels in the side, even back then. We were never in the way England rely so hugely on KP, and another southie, Jonathan Trott. I hope one of our bowlers can make KP his bunny this time.

Other that that, Charlie is definitely spot-on about the Ashes series starting tomorrow, to be potentially one of the closest, cliff-hanging cricketing contests, we Aussies have had in recent memory against the old enemy. I'm still wagering serious money on us winning the series 2-1.

Yea, I noticed you cite Nick Cave as one of your elite favourite lyricists, in another thread. I will totally second that, by saying I feel the same way. Nick's lyrics, aided by his mesmerising singing, is nothing short of breathtakingly beautiful. Ken, who are your #s 2 & 3, on your poll list?

@kamikazetom
    Great to see you as a fan of the magnificent Midnight Oil, Tom. Yea, I remember writing a long thread OP on them, and subsequent comments. Did you post on that thread?

You're so right about Rose Tattoo. The Tatts (our affectionate nickname for the band) were a rollicking bunch of rockers. Searing bluesy hard rock with quite a heavy metallic edge to their sound, as well. And gosh, thanks for reminding me of Heaven. Another ace band, no kidding. And if we ever happen to bump into each other in Aus, I'd give you a swell tour of the 'punk' scene, here down under.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-24-2010 at 07:36 AM.

AC/DC will win, unfortunately

Buffalo is the best band on the list easily. If you are a Sabbath fan and haven't heard Buffalo you are seriously missing out.. Some of the riffs could easily be Sabbath riffs. If you haven't listened to them, go and look up Shylock!!

Another really good Aussie band is Band of Light.. They aren't heavy though, they are more rock
    Last edited by BackStreetKid; 11-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Won't you help me Mr. Jesus?

Anyone who has followed any of my posts on here, knows this was a no brainer for me.

AC/DC
    "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Emphasis on "favorite." I actually really, really like INXS, Midnight Oil, and Wolfmother. But like the English poll and the Canadian poll, the Australian poll for me unfortunately has one dominant band pitted against lots of otherwise solid ones. Sure they're a one trick pony in the Brian Johnson era, but its a GREAT trick! As I've said elsewhere, standing in Gillette Stadium in January, with 2 minutes left to go in the game and the Patriots leading by 3, "the bell" starts tolling as the Patriots' defense mans the line of scrimmage. Chill inspiring, which is what music is all about.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    I didn't even have to think about this, Buffalo.

Volcanic Rock is one of the best hard rock albums of all time. Dave Tice is one of the best hard rock vocalists of all time. Amazing.
    I wasn't familiar with 'em, but I checked 'em out due to praise from a number of you guys.

Liking them... I've ordered Volcanic Rock for starters.

Any suggestions/comments from you guys that know their stuff on the rest of their albums? Which album next, any to be avoided etc?

Cheers!

EDIT: Just ordered 'Only Want You For Your Body' too
    Last edited by Totentanz; 11-24-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

I voted for Rose Tattoo before I noticed a selection for other.

In that case Radio Birdman.
    "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    I wasn't familiar with 'em, but I checked 'em out due to praise from a number of you guys.

Liking them... I've ordered Volcanic Rock for starters.

Any suggestions/comments from you guys that know their stuff on the rest of their albums? Which album next, any to be avoided etc?

Cheers!

EDIT: Just ordered 'Only Want You For Your Body' too
    I own Dead Forever ('72), Volcanic Rock ('73) and Only Want You For Your Body ('74). They are all great albums.

RLP has told me in the past that Mother's Choice ('76) is a worthy purchase too, but I haven't got around to buying it yet. He doesn't think much of their 5th and last studio release, Average Rock 'n' Roller ('77), if I remember rightly.
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

^^
    Ady obviously remembers our exchanges on Buffalo perfectly well---and he's bang on correct about those first three albums being Buffalo's best and the 'essentials' for new fans. And yea, Mother's Choice is a very good, satisfying one to have, as well. Both of you should try and buy and hear it sometime. Buffalo's final studio outing, Average Rock n' Roller, was actually very aptly titled, because I sure felt that the album was, at best, just rather average and unremarkable.

tanz, you made a smart decision to get the out & out classic Volcanic Rock and the extremely enjoyable (and tantalisingly titled ) Only Want You For Your Body. It's an excellent album.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules Mob
    I actually really, really like INXS, Midnight Oil, and Wolfmother. But like the English poll and the Canadian poll, the Australian poll for me unfortunately has one dominant band pitted against lots of otherwise solid ones.
    Hey, Mob, I never knew (or remembered) you being so fond of INXS. I thought that, besides myself, it was ONLY ex-member devilmaycare who liked them as much as I did. Of course, INXS have had their share of dud songs and albums, but their good stuff on their early albums..and even latter albums, is just genuinely original, honest, cool pop-rock music.

My thread on Midnight Oil tells all about my immense admiration for and enjoyment of that iconic Australian rock band's career output. Wolfmother is a must-hear for fans of Zeppelin, Sabbath and other '70s rock stalwarts.

Yea, I understand your predicament on the British and Canadian band polls..and now on this Australian one. Though, you probably realise how inclusion of those 'dominant' bands was almost inevitable. On this poll, though, I reckon if more people had, at least, heard more of the other bands Kenneth named, AC/DC would not necessarily be so dominant at all, and this poll would be a lot less lop-sided than it unsurprisingly is, right now. Mate, you really must try out Buffalo and Rose Tattoo, in more depth.

I'm just listening Shylock from Buffalo, and I'm impressed. The main riff is great - I think of a mix between Symptom of the Universe and Whole Lotta Love. Another band I need to get acquainted with. So much bands, so little time...
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

AC/DC and Wolfmother are great bands, but AC/DC is way better I voted for AC/DC.
    RIP Ronnie James Dio! We will always remmember you as very good person, as the voice of the Universe! As the one who passed the final frontier in the music with his voice! A kind person with voice that even God haven't heard! You always will live in our soul, cause dreamers never die!

Of course, AC/DC are the best known, even though I think the only one of them that is actually Aussie-born is Phil Rudd. I think Malcolm Young is the only one who actually lives in Australia. I believe Angus Young lives in Holland (Dutch wife), Cliff Williams is in Hawaii, Brian Johnson in Florida and Phil Rudd in New Zealand.

I clicked Rose Tattoo. Back in the day I thought they were quite good doing stuff like "Scarred For Life." Angry Anderson...this little bald guy who could quite possibly kick the shit out of someone three times his size!

As RLP knows, back in the '80s I had an Aussie penpal ( Michele in Melbourne ) and she was always sending me tapes of Australian bands.

My pick would be HEAVEN, featuring RLP's fellow South Australian Allan Fryer, who nearly got the AC/DC gig that went to Brian Johnson. They did the BEST song I can think of about just why we love heavy metal, "In The Beginning:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrTnSVFE-BQ

There were so many others she told me about...Boss, Bengal Tigers, Mortal Sin (sent me an autographed LP from them)...that for whatever reason never got known outside of their homeland.

Jimmy Barnes has a good voice, very powerful.

Outside the heavy rock realm, Midnight Oil have done some interesting things.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Hey, Mob, I never knew (or remembered) you being so fond of INXS.
    I'm not sure its come up RLP, so it's understandable. I think it would be unusual to find an American music fan who is roughly my age (I'd say any American between 38 and 50) who is not at least a casual fan of INXS. Without checking, I would think Listen Like Thieves was released in or around 1984 or 1985, when I was a senior in high school. Everybody I knew had that album. What You Need was all over MTV at that time, (although the title track is the best song on the album) and when I went to college in the fall of 1985, that cassette got a lot of play.

Kick is one of those albums that I think everyone should own. The title track and Mystify remain two of my favorite songs, and I still spin that disc, in its entirety, somewhat regularly. I own X and Welcome to Wherever You Are as well, and still find myself occasionally in the mood for them.

Mate, you really must try out Buffalo and Rose Tattoo, in more depth.
    I'm always up for referrals. I take it Volcanic Rock is a good leaping off point for Buffalo. What do you suggest for Rose Tattoo?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Yea, I think INXS were really cool in so many different ways, not least because of the Farris brothers' justly-praised musical and songwriting talents, and Michael Hutchence's frontman glamour and showmanship. And of course, his superb singing voice. I find a tune like Shine Like It Does, for just one random example, stirringly beautiful. INXS had come up in conversation, just by chance, in the the Band vs Band or some similar thread, where I remember how dmc and I had traded admiring thoughts on the band and stuff. Have you heard their last album, 'Elegantly Wasted'? It isn't their 'best' disc, but it's definitely worth having, if only for the first half of the album---six straight great songs.

Now, Rose Tattoo is an all-time legend in Australian rock. I'd say ANY one of their first four albums, is a great place to start with this great old band.. i.e. the self-titled debut, 'Rose Tattoo', 'Assault & Battery', 'Scarred for Life', 'Southern Stars', with the first three of these pretty much essential listening. I have got all of 'em on vinyl. The Tatts were very original, and very LOUD, hard drivin' rockers. I have heard but never got around to buying their final (post-reunion) album of a couple of years ago, called 'Blood Brothers'. The band have toured and performed in the States a few times in the early eighties, during their very brief career. TRM, try to get an album of theirs, whenever you want or can do so. I hope you find them as good as I say they are.

edit: Axl Rose is apparently a lifetime admirer of Rose Tattoo; the two bands toured together more than once. GNR covered a few Tatts songs as well. Thank god, though, that Axl didn't begin to think that he had some kind of cosmic connection to Rose Tattoo or that he could even front the band someday lol---given the obvious 'Rose' reference in their respective names.

@DiosSword
    Mate, I remember your reminiscing about your long-lost penpal Michelle from Melbourne, and her admirable habit of promoting cool Australian bands and albums to you. Thank god, you at least heeded some of her honest advice on all this.

Yea, you're obviously right about Heaven (good on ya for voting for them, too). And oh yes, I'm not the only South Australian to be proud of a guy like Allan Fryer. You're also right about a powerhouse singer like Jimmy Barnes. Sword, I think you really should hear more of a living legend like Nick Cave. I have had my few disagreements with the man (on specific political and religious matters), but his voice, his music and lyrics, have largely retained my long-standing, lasting respect and admiration. There are many reasons why a majority of otherwise very accomplished, acclaimed Australian artistes have conventionally been little-known, much less heard, outside Australia---but things have changed quite a lot--if not yet enough--in the last 10-15 years. When a 'poll' like this on a forum board like ours, pans out the way it has, it tells me that, on one level, it's actually better than many Australian musicians and fans even expect form audiences abroad---but it also reveals there's still some way to go yet before Australian rock-metal, at least, get as much name- recognition and due appreciation overseas, as so many American and British bands, quite justifiably, do already.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Gotta vote for AccaϟDecca, and I don't care what anyone says about them, I like them and they rock.

Wolfmother came second, and I'm just as surprised they're from Australia.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    Day three first test response....

Personally I am an afficionado of The Church

@kamikazetom
    Great to see you as a fan of the magnificent Midnight Oil, Tom. Yea, I remember writing a long thread OP on them, and subsequent comments. Did you post on that thread?

You're so right about Rose Tattoo. The Tatts (our affectionate nickname for the band) were a rollicking bunch of rockers. Searing bluesy hard rock with quite a heavy metallic edge to their sound, as well. And gosh, thanks for reminding me of Heaven. Another ace band, no kidding. And if we ever happen to bump into each other in Aus, I'd give you a swell tour of the 'punk' scene, here down under.
    Hey RLP - sorry it took so long for me to respond to this - yes I did post on the Midnight oil thread - Actually have gotten several of the CD's you recommended - really like the live Scream in blue & the 10 to 1 CD - slowly getting them all - just recently got the re-issue of Diesel & Dust with the bonus DVD. This thread did get me to break out my old vinyl of the Tatts & Heaven & convert them to CD - still wishing I could find the Heaven LP's on CD one day & if I ever make it to Australia I will take you up on checking out the punk scene - same if you are ever in Dallas let me know & I will give you a tour of the Dallas Punk, Blues, & Metal scene - actually this sounds like a thread topic - what local bands/clubs are worth checking out if someone was to visit your city.