Thread: Gzr

Default Gzr

I have never given Geezers solo band an honest chance, I have only just briefly listened to two or three songs from the Plastic Planet album and I can't say I like it... unfortunately.

I was wondering what your opinion on GZR is? I mean, since I love literally everything he did in sabbath there should be something for me in his solo releases. Which songs are your personal favorites?
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Black Science is the most commercial of the three and the one I like best. Plastic Planet has it's moments but (if I remember correctly- it's a while since I played it) is a little heavier almost Thrash/Death Metal in it's approach. I only played Ohmwork a couple of times and can't reallu remember it ... so it obviously didn't grab me.

Actually, to my shame, I haven't played any of them for a while, so I'll have to give all three a listen later.

Banned

Black Science is a masterpiece! It has a real 50s 60s sci-fi feel to it...I love it.

Plastic Planet is probably the weakest of the three...also Bell's vocals are far inferior compared to Brown's...

Ohmwork is pretty close with Black Science...it has some really catchy tunes...namely I Believe, Misfit and Pseudocide (which contains vocals from Lisa Rieffel of the brilliant band Killola).

These are all very different from Sabbath...the sound is much more industrial and as said almost trashy...but there are some traditional elements in them as well...but they most definitely reguire several listens before they open up fully.

Man in A Suitcase, actually the whole 2nd album is awesome
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Thank you for your comments! I am going to listen some to "Black Science" then I guess, cos I really didn't like the singer in Plastic Planet... like u said almost a hint of death metal, or at least heavy thrash metal.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

only ever heard beach skeleton and i thought it was ok. that was the japanese bonus from black science.
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

Played Black Science last night (didn't have time to listen to all three), and it's so much better than I remembered, and I knew it was good too. As I said before I hadn't played it for a while (2-3 years maybe) ... what a mistake-a to make-a!

I really must give the other two a chance.

I have the first two albums, each has its own different strengths and weaknesses, never heard Ohmwork yet for some reason.

It's always G//Z/R ("Geezer," with a slash for each "E"). Go figure. Even the last one doesn't look like it at first glance, but yup, it's there.

I am a huge fan of Mr. Butler, and *love* proper thrash metal, but I have never liked any of these solo outings - It's not *real* thrash, and doesn't sound anything like his bass playing to me. It smacks of "nu-metal" to me - I have never liked Fear Factory, Slipknot, etc. Yawn. Even the bass playing (on what I've heard from it, anyway) was some of the least exploratory / imaginitive stuff he's ever done IMHO. Not that it necessarily has to be, of course - But there's just nothing in this that appeals to me. For the record, I *do* like the solo track I heard that had Jimi Bell playing on it, but that was never properly released - It's more traditional metal than the released stuff, quite good I thought. But what do I know.

An opinion from a bassist who loves the man but not that band (sorry).

All the best,
    PAULIE

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie 88 View Post
    It's always G//Z/R ("Geezer," with a slash for each "E"). Go figure. Even the last one doesn't look like it at first glance, but yup, it's there.

My copy of Black Science is by Geezer not G//Z/R, go figure?

Anyhow, just played Ohmwork for the first time since it came out ... I really don't remember any of it, but I think on this listening I could get to like it, very heavy, very uncompromising ... the vocal style might take a bit of getting used to.

I loved Black Science the minute I heard it. The song Xodiak has an absolutely killer riff.

The only problem I have with it are some of the lyrics are pretty damn goofy. The lyrics to Unspeakable Elvis and Area Code 51 both make me cringe. It's a shame when you consider what a master lyrisist Geezer is.

I do have Plastic Planet but don't listen to it much and I haven't heard Ohmwork yet. I wonder if Geezer's gonna get the band back together for another album soon.

I will have to listen to them all again, as I recall I liked plastic planet more than the other two. Maybe I didnt give black science enough of a listen.

I would really like to say I like GZR but the vocals completely turn me off to it. They are just way too guttural for my tastes.