Default RJD Cancer Research Fund

Saw this on Blabbermouth and found it a little curious:
    "The Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Fund, which was founded in memory of the late singer who died in 2010, has raised over $450,000 for cancer research. Later this year, the fund will team up with Christie's, an international company that offers art auctions and private sales to clients, for a guitar and bass auction in New York City, with all proceeds going to the fund. Almost 100 instruments have been donated, including guitars from many superstars such as Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Sting, METALLICA, SLAYER and Geddy Lee."

I guess I can see Metallica, Slayer and Slash supporting RJD's fund but I was happily surprised to see Eddie Van Halen, Geddy Lee, and Sting of all people. Not that I wouldn't expect those three to donate for a good cause but I didn't realize they even knew about Ronnie. Those three would have seemed to have been in a different musical genre entirely although I guess Van Halen and Rush can be considered hard rock but not metal.

Krish

Quote Originally Posted by Krish View Post
    Eddie Van Halen, Geddy Lee, and Sting of all people... I didn't realize they even knew about Ronnie.
    Why wouldn't world-famous acts know about other world-famous acts?

Bewildered,
    PAULIE