Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Let me off by saying the new Toxic Holocaust is amazing. I think it is their most consistent record and if the drum intro to Bitch is a total ringer for Ausgebombt by Sodom.

Here is a list of some Death Metal releases I have just picked up, like to hear what everyone thinks of them.

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (One of my favorite DM bands)
    Amorphis - The Beginning Of Times (Like their last singer more but the new guy is starting to grow on me)
    Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt (love the guitar playing)
    Arsis - United In Regret
    Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
    Enforsaken - Sinner's Intuition (haven't even opened yet)
    Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (awesome record and very diverse)
    Hearse - Dominion Reptilian (Johan from Arch Enemy's band, I love his voice)
    In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading (I love this album)
    In The Dreams - Highest Beauty (haven't even opened yet)
    Jungle Rot - Kill On Command (just got into this band with their last release)
    Mercenary - Metamorphosis (another great record and very melodic)
    Obituary - Frozen In Time (For some reason there are a few later releases I still don't have so I am slowly finishing my collection)
    Ritual Carnage - I, Infidel (could be more of a Thrash band)
    Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire (A return to form)
    Solution 45 - For Neons Past (Ex Scar Symmetry singer, also very good)
    Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth (Need to give this more time, so far like their debut much better)
    Last edited by Drago; 08-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

The new Toxic Holocaust disc, Conjure and Command, (on just one full listen, so far), sounds very decent to me. I have to listen to it more, obviously. But based on that one listen, I found it more varied (vocals, songwriting etc) than the band's previous albums. On most of the songs, there seems to be a nice mixture of mid-tempo (even slowish) moments and the contrasting thrashing, punkish aggression and intensity. I also think there's probably more leads and solos on this album, than before. I've always liked their debut disc best. But I have a hunch that this new one might just supplant it soon enough. Like I said, it needs more listens. But if you're a TH fan, you should buy it anyway. It's very listenable, at least.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Let me off by saying the new Toxic Holocaust is amazing. I think it is their most consistent record and if the drum intro to Bitch is a total ringer for Ausgebombt by Sodom.

Here is a list of some Death Metal releases I have just picked up, like to hear what everyone thinks of them.

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (One of my favorite DM bands)
    Amorphis - The Beginning Of Times (Like their last singer more but the new guy is starting to grow on me)
    Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt (love the guitar playing)
    Arsis - United In Regret
    Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
    Enforsaken - Sinner's Intuition (haven't even opened yet)
    Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (awesome record and very diverse)
    Hearse - Dominion Reptilian (Johan from Arch Enemy's band, I love his voice)
    In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading (I love this album)
    In The Dreams - Highest Beauty (haven't even opened yet)
    Jungle Rot - Kill On Command (just got into this band with their last release)
    Mercenary - Metamorphosis (another great record and very melodic)
    Obituary - Frozen In Time (For some reason there are a few later releases I still don't have so I am slowly finishing my collection)
    Ritual Carnage - I, Infidel (could be more of a Thrash band)
    Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire (A return to form)
    Solution 45 - For Neons Past (Ex Scar Symmetry singer, also very good)
    Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth (Need to give this more time, so far like their debut much better)
    Drago, I just saw this post, right after posting my reply to Symps. So, you think the new TH disc is 'amazing'. I'm hoping that's how I'd feel after listening to it later tonight. Like I just said, it has a vibe of being their 'best'.

Ok, as to your list of latest buys, I admit to not liking some of those bands at all. However, lemme comments on the ones I have heard and like myself.

Arsis is very decent. A Celebration of Guilt and United in Regret are both all-round excellent tech/melodic death albums. I think you'd feel the same. I don't think I have heard We Are The Nightmare album, in full. But then, I don't think I liked what I heard on that album too much. I'd recommend their A Diamond for Disease EP, too. It should have been a full-length instead.

I agree about Gojira. Very good band that I first heard only a few years ago, and that album is definitely a good one. Also check out my own fave Gojira sometime, i.e. the From Mars to Sirius album.

I really like Jungle Rot, and ALL their albums, overall---personal faves being their first two, Slaughter the Weak, and Dead and Buried. I've already mentioned liking Kill on Command quite a lot.

I'm a big Obituary fan, but not of Frozen in Time (and Xecutioner's Return). Their last one, Darkest Day, though, was a largely satisfying studio disc. All the albums (excepting Back from the Dead) prior to Frozen in Time sounded more impressive to me, especially Obituary's first three straight classics: Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death, and The End Complete. The 'live' album, called 'Dead' is also a worthy buy, I'd suggest.

Ritual Carnage is pretty good, no kidding. Yes, more thrashy than death, but heck, one of the several good extreme bands from Japan. 'I, Infidel' is a cracking death-thrash album.

You already know that I'm very selective when it comes to melodic-death, but Mercenary are very listenable. I haven't heard Metamorphosis yet, but I remember rather liking two of their albums (which I think I might still have): Everblack and The Hours That Remain. Some memorable melodic metal in those two albums, Drago. You gotta hear them both, if you dig their latest one.

The only Scar Symmetry I own and have heard is their pretty ordinary Dark Matter Dimensions disc. I won't mind giving it away to a big fan of the band. You talk of a 'return to form'; what was their best period and albums, then?

Sylosis sounds familiar. Ok, I just checked and found that I have their EP, Casting the Shadows. Very melodic thrash, mainly, to my ears. But yea, on second thoughts, there's some death flavours in the mix, too. Decent stuff on that EP. I'll try to see how that new Edge of the Earth album goes with me.

I have heard a lot of melodic-dm material, in the past, but since I mostly don't dig that style too much, I'm unable to recommend to you a whole new set of bands that you'd possibly fancy. Vehemence, for one, has been well regarded, though. And of course, there are many straight-up dm bands that aren't necessarily melodic, but when they decide to go down that route in some parts of some songs, they sound top-drawer.

Enough gabbing from me. Time to pull out a cool dm disc of mine, and get the guaranteed thrill of it all. You do the same, Drago.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Anyone here into old school Finnish death metal? That scene produces some of the darkest, most sinister, most rotten sounding death metal I've ever heard, but didn't skimp on quality composition or technicality. Some great bands to check out:

Demilich
    Depravity
    Purtenance
    Sentenced
    Funebre
    Abhorrence
    Convulse
    Demigod
    Lubricant
    Putrid

I haven't yet heard too much of the Finnish death metal that many fans seems to regard highly enough. Our forum friend and fellow metal fanatic here, Sabbathman, has introduced me to some very good Finnish dm bands and specific songs. So I know I should check out that scene in more depth.

Now, of the ones you listed here, I have properly heard Demilich, Sentenced, Demigod, and Abhorrence. I like Demilich and Abhorrence best. It's just too bad that Demilich had split so damn quickly, after delivering that death metal tour-de-force debut disc, Nespithe. The self-titled Abhorrence EP was also a cool, brief, blasting release. Sentenced are a very mixed bag for me; the swell stuff interspersed with the sucky. Demigod, though, is very impressive. Their Slumber of Sullen Eyes is definitely an old-school dm classic.

I just think that some of the consistently cool extreme metal from Europe originates in Holland and Belgium, for example.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I agree about Ritual Carnage. Great, underrated band.

Dayna

death metal is ok if your into this type ofmusic!! although some death metal isnt that bad.!!

^

And let me guess, Dayna,...you aren't exactly any kind of death metal fan, right?

I swear death metal is not merely "ok", but absolutely awesome for many fans "into this type of music". And no, trust me, there's just tons of death metal that "isn't that bad".

Btw, really curious so I have to ask...which DM do YOU find isn't that bad, after all?

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    ^

And let me guess, Dayna,...you aren't exactly any kind of death metal fan, right?

I swear death metal is not merely "ok", but absolutely awesome for many fans "into this type of music". And no, trust me, there's just tons of death metal that "isn't that bad".

Btw, really curious so I have to ask...which DM do YOU find isn't that bad, after all?

Given Dayma's signature is a link to an electrical retailers website, I'm suspecting they're a spammer!
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Damn, I hadn't even noticed that, Charlie. Maybe (she?) is a spam chick who somehow strayed into a death metal thread, of all things.

^^^^ Let's bump this conversation back to the top of the heap and see if we can jump start it.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Oh well, maybe the day YOU begin routinely listening to, and learning to love DM, Franklin, is the day this thread will be full of your posts, as it is with so many of mine already.

Meantime, I'm currently listening to a lot of some of what I consider to be among the best 'modern/new' death metal bands, i.e. Cephalic Carnage, Cattle Decapitation, Origin, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Severed Savior, Hour of Penance, The Red Chord and a few others. Although I listen to 4-5 (of my favourite) different metal sub-genres throughout the month, I realise that death metal alone is something that could probably occupy all of my listening hours if that's what I wanted----there's just so very many brilliant bands and ace albums in the genre.

Just bought and been cranking the new Revocation. Excellent release. The guitar player is insane!!! Anyone else pick this up yet?

Thanks for responding to my thread RLP. Sorry I disappeared for awhile. I really dig the new Mercenary and love Death Metal like that. I know it has a ton of melody but I really dig the contrast between styles. Soilwork is still one of my favorite bands. Pick up Holographic Universe by Scar Symmetry. All of their releases with Christian singing shreds. Not a huge fan of Vehemence. I live in Phoenix so I have seen them a few times and my band has played with them in fact over the last couple of years.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Just bought and been cranking the new Revocation. Excellent release. The guitar player is insane!!! Anyone else pick this up yet?

Thanks for responding to my thread RLP. Sorry I disappeared for awhile. I really dig the new Mercenary and love Death Metal like that. I know it has a ton of melody but I really dig the contrast between styles. Soilwork is still one of my favorite bands. Pick up Holographic Universe by Scar Symmetry. All of their releases with Christian singing shreds. Not a huge fan of Vehemence. I live in Phoenix so I have seen them a few times and my band has played with them in fact over the last couple of years.
    It is very good!
    One day when your end is near
    I'll be laughing at your fear
    When you're gone there'll be no one
    Who'll be fucking up my fun No one!

Anybody listen to Pig Destroyer?

Oh well, maybe the day YOU begin routinely listening to, and learning to love DM, Franklin, is the day this thread will be full of your posts, as it is with so many of mine already.
    I don't know enough about it to contribute anything worthwhile; however, I am reading the many posts on this thread.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Ha, you bet I do, Symps. I'm a huge fan of Pig Destroyer, and I've mentioned them in the forums before. Some fans consider PD ONLY grindcore, while others (like myself) hear much death metal in their sound as well. So, what have you heard of them, so far?

I love ALL their albums, but my top two are Prowler in the Yard and Terrifyer. The other albums are: 38 Counts of Battery (fantastic compilation of all their early material), Phantom Limb and Natasha. They are also absolutely awesome LIVE!

You also ought to hear out equally awesome bands like Agoraphobic Nosebleed (ANb) and Discordance Axis. These two are out and out Grindcore, though. And heck, this is a Death Metal thread.

Re: Franklin

Thanks for dropping by and reading the stuff the few of us keep posting here. But since when has "not knowing enough about it" ever stopped anybody here from commenting on DM? . I mean, you must be aware of the standard jibe about supposed 'cookie monster' vocals and all the rest of it that comes up here, from time to time, from non-fans and haters of DM. But hey, like you started digging thrash, I won't bet against you maybe somewhat liking death metal, in the future.

I heard prowler in the yard and it was great so ima get more I have been into Dystopia lately omg they are good!

Prowler in the Yard is a winner, no kidding. Symps, if you genuinely dig PD, and the Prowler album, I really think you ought to get Terrifyer, next. Or even 38 Counts of Battery for a full taste of PD's early, excellent material.

Which Dystopia? The American hardcore/sludge metal act?? If it's that, then I gotta say I really like their self-titled debut full-length album, a lot.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 08-30-2011 at 06:17 AM.

I will check them out fore sure man...........The other day I bought the new Exhumed album and instantly love it! I cant wait to explore them moree i really enjoyed Gore metal by them also!

Symps, it's swell to know that you're really digging some of these absolutely ace acts. I'm a longtime Exhumed fanatic, and love ALL their albums. Yea, Gore Metal is a genuinely great record that helped make me such a big fan of the band. And I reckon it's a great place to begin for any curious new fan, though their '92 outing, Goregasm, was a fine effort, too.

I've heard Exhumed's latest disc, All Guts, No Glory, just twice, so far. I loved it a lot. Just a face-melting 35 minutes of top-drawer 'death-grind' music you'd only expect from this classic band. The six-year-long wait, since their last full-length, was well worth it. . I do miss old members like Col Jones (drums) and Mike Beams (guitar, vocals), though.

If you liked Gore Metal so much, you really must hear all the others, i.e. Slaughtercult (my favourite), Anatomy is Destiny, and Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated. Even the 2CD compilation release, Platters of Splatter is a good buy for fans who like to begin with 'best of' type releases. They also have a whole bunch of really cool early 'split' releases, (all of which I own). I don't think you can find them anymore, but do check out their other albums, including the new one.

And, although this is the Death Metal thread, I suppose death-grind belongs here as well. So, if you dig Exhumed, I'd urge you to try out another similarly cool band: Impaled (a band Exhumed has shared personnel with, and is regularly compared to by fans; I love Exhumed more, btw. ) If you've never heard any Cattle Decapitation, then you ought to sample them, too.

Death metal's been jiving with me a lot better lately! I think I was trying too hard a few months ago to get into it or something, because after stepping back for a little while and returning to some of the stuff I listened to before that didn't click with me I'm finding myself enjoying this time around. Even some of the vocals that I was having trouble swallowing.

Definitely a firm believer in Deicide and Vital Remains now (more so than I was before, Glen Benton's vocals and all), also been checking out various songs from Cannibal Corpse, Vader, and Decapitated. Any body like Decapitated?
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Ya man I am really enjoying them...and also ya Death metal and Death-grind/grindcore should have been included in the title some of ym fav bands are Death-Grind

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder86 View Post
    Death metal's been jiving with me a lot better lately! I think I was trying too hard a few months ago to get into it or something, because after stepping back for a little while and returning to some of the stuff I listened to before that didn't click with me I'm finding myself enjoying this time around. Even some of the vocals that I was having trouble swallowing.

Definitely a firm believer in Deicide and Vital Remains now (more so than I was before, Glen Benton's vocals and all), also been checking out various songs from Cannibal Corpse, Vader, and Decapitated. Any body like Decapitated?
    Man its great your getting into some death metal..if you read through the thread we have given each other lots of great recommendations and chatted about lots of great classic's..Happy listening!

I wish there were at least a handful more DM fans/posters on this thread---then we could eventually even take over the forum.

Seriously, it's cool to see you, and new recruits like cwilder, so enthusiastic about this great genre.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder86

Cool. You came around (to liking dm) much sooner than I expected. And yea, there shouldn't ever be any pressure at all--to desperately try and like any specific genre. Of course, one can make an effort to listen extensively, to a good mix of reputed bands, and give it some time to properly appraise his own true estimation of the specific genre and some of its bands. Liking any genre in any genuine way cannot be a forced thing. That just wouldn't last.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you say that you're really liking both Deicide and Vital Remains, after giving both bands a serious second chance. If you love Deicide, welcome aboard! I've always loved Cannibal Corpse, so I'd give you a thumbs up for checking them out. Why not try out the entire Tomb of the Mutilated album, for starters? Vader is pretty cool, overall, though they have a few average albums, as well.

I rate Decapitated very highly. Precocious bunch of players from Poland and a powerhouse band. Their debut, Winds of Creation, has always been regarded as something of a true classic in the 'brutal-tech' dm field. While it's a very good album, I actually still like their second and third albums best, i.e. Nihility and Negation best. Intense, unrelenting and the fourth one, Organic Hallicunosis, was also outstanding for the most part, but pretty ordinary in other sections. The new one, Carnival Is Forever, overall, feels like a disappointment to me. But it's still quite listenable.

wilder, don't wanna burden you with too much, too soon, but since you are starting to dig dm so much, why not randomly try out a few other quality bands like Pestilence, Monstrosity, Krisiun, Aborted, Aeon, Severe Torture and such. There's just loads of awesomeness that DM has always offered its most consistent fans.

Surely I will drool with RLP while waiting for this surprising release...

NILE: Previously Unreleased 1994 Recordings To See Light Of Day - Sep. 16, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=163375

"Worship The Animal - 1994 The Lost Recordings", featuring the
    original NILE lineup of Karl Sanders, Chief Spires and Pete Hammoura,
    will be released as a collector's-edition digipak on October 11 via
    Goomba Music. These previously unreleased recordings pre-date NILE's
    groundbreaking debut album, "Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren-Ka".

With four critically acclaimed albums, a few EPs and several world
    tours under their belt, NILE has raised the bar for extreme metal
    bands musically, lyrically and conceptually. Their withering live
    performances are nothing short of legendary.

Formed in 1993 by Karl Sanders (guitar/vocals), Chief Spires
    (bass/vocals), and Pete Hammoura (drums), NILE wasted little time
    combining their interest in Egyptian history, culture and lore with
    the ferocity of modern death metal. Using a symphonic approach to
    songwriting and arrangement, NILE unleashed an uncompromising attack
    that fused unique, technical death metal with organic Middle Eastern
    tones. Their unique lyrical approach was inspired by Sanders'
    interpretation of ancient Egyptian inscriptions, temple carvings,
    papyri, hieroglyphics and tomb paintings depicting ancient battles,
    rituals and religious ceremonies. Each following year brought a new
    recording, which marked a large step forward in their musical
    evolution.

Recorded in 1994, "Worship The Animal" set the tone for what would
    become one of extreme metal's most popular bands.

"Worship The Animal" track listing:

01. La Chant Du Cygre
    02. Worship The Animal
    03. Nepenthe
    04. Surrounded By Fright
    05. Mecca
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

^ haha, Sabbathman, drool I did when I first heard of this, only last week, while searching something brutal-dm related, late at night.

Yea absolutely, I'm definitely gonna check out this release, the soonest I can. Funnily enough, this could be (at 35 mins) one of the longest 'EPs' I have ever heard. Maybe Pig Destroyer's excellent 'Natasha' ep was longer. If by any chance, Anthrax's 'Worship Music' fails to float my boat, I'm sort of betting something like Nile's 'Worship the Animal' very likely will.

Thanks anyway, for sharing this, mate. When it comes to DM, you know who you're talkin' to.

edit: just curious about which are your top Nile albums?
    Mine have nearly always been Catacombs and Annihilation of the Wicked. Also, your excerpt above states the band's "four critically acclaimed" albums. I'd argue that the last one, 'Those Whom the Gods Detest' was very well-received by fans and critics--certainly more praised than 'Ithyphallic' was. So, that makes it 'five' formidable albums, though I always liked Black Seeds, the least.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 09-18-2011 at 06:12 AM.

edit: just curious about which are your top Nile albums?
    I think the entire Nile discography represents the top of the line in all of brutal death metal. I adore their top-notch song-writing, the huge Oriental sound and the stories of the songs. It's just like custom-made for me: brutal death metal combined with Oriental sounds and tales from the old world. For me it's really a career-spanning voyage, I never listen to one or two Nile albums at a time, I always go through the whole production when I start, Karl Sanders' solo albums included. It's simply impossible to get enough of Nile's music, it's just too epic & fulfilling for a one lifetime. Every time I finish my Nile theme, I feel like leaving an amazing world of magic behind me, every time I decide that I will return soon...

Even though all Nile albums form this one huge musical voyage for me, the albums also have many highlights.

"In The Beginning", which is a compilation of 1995's "Festivals Of Atonement" and 1997's "Ramses Bringer Of War" releases, has nothing but great songs, but I would gladly mention some of them individually. To start, "Divine Intent" and "Black Hand Of Set" are some of greatest songs from the early Nile days, also the songs "Wrought" and "Extinct" come to my mind. The songs on "Ramses Bringer Of War" are great too, especially the fierce title track, they're all found on the debut "Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka". I like the merciless choke-holding intensity of the first album, it's only little over 30 minutes long and yet it feels like a grander opus in terms of the amount of great songs, the atmosphere and the energy it gives. Songs like "Smashing The Antiu", "Barra Edinazzu", the freaky intermission "Kudurru Maglu", the brilliant and ferocious "Serpent Headed Mask", again "Ramses Bringer Of War" as a new version, the heavy & epic "Stones Of Sorrow", another war-themed song "Die Rache Krieg Lied der Assyriche"...Maybe the best song on the album is the closing track "Beneath Eternal Oceans Of Sand", it feels to me as one of the most complete & defining Nile songs.

"Black Seeds Of Vengeance" is a huge album with many mind-blowing songs with many atmospheric intermission pieces setting the mood before the actual songs. Of course the title track is a stone cold classic and a live favourite, I love the storyline..."Defiling The Gates Of Ishtar" is a blood-freezing song, an otherworldly feeling when one delves into the story of the song and the power of its delivery. My personal favourite on this album, the song I yearn to hear live one day, is the magnificent "Masturbating The War God", it's a sadistically heavy assault of riffs and searing lead sections and the rhythm section really drives it with a devastating force, the story is one of Nile's most horrifying to date...After many violent songs the album descends into a more reflective & yet very massive hymn that is "To Dream Of Ur" which is clearly one of the grandest songs in the Nile history. One could think that this song ends the album, but no...we'll get the epic reptile ritual in the form of "The Nameless City Of The Accursed" and the closing pathos of "Khetti Satha Shemsu"...Fantastic album.

My Nile enthuasiasm started at the same moment when I first heard the song "The Blessed Dead" from the majestic album "In Their Darkened Shrines". What a great story from the old days of Egypt. This album is filled to the brim with powerful songs from start to finish. "Execration Text" is something I especially like, the musical content and the story of cursing someone in the afterlife too..."Sarcofagus" is of course one the essentials on this album. "Unas Slayer Of The Gods" is easily one of the best in the line of lengthy epics, paying a considerable homage to the Candlemass classic "The Well Of Souls" and presenting one of the greatest stories Nile ever produced with their music. "I Whisper In The Ear Of The Dead" is a straightforward killer, a good opener for any death metal theme night. The main body of this album, the 4-verse epic title opus "In Their Darkened Shrines" marks the moment when Nile truly became one of the gods of death metal. A band that can make a mammoth song entirety like this on their 3rd full length album is surely a force to be reckoned with. The story forms a movie in my head, I love to follow the lyrics while I listen to the song, I can immerse myself right into the middle of the scenery, a great story indeed. Nile doesn't focus on individual bodies, guts & gore. They focus on much grander sceneries and storylines where brutality is counted with larger numbers. "In Their Darkened Shrines" is surely one of the essential Nile albums for me and anyone with a taste for great death metal, this album could very well be my personal favourite if I had to choose which part of this "Nile voyage" I like best...

Nile returns with a vengeance with the vicious album "Annihilation Of The Wicked". The album opens with their greatest intro "Dusk Falls Upon The Temple Of The Serpent On The Mount Of Sunrise" which reflects the decline of the Ancient Egypt...and then the actual first song "Cast Down the Heretic" cuts the head with a razor sharp & insanely heavy iron grip. Easily one of the most extreme songs of Nile. The following song "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" tells another great story, the Crocodile god Sebek. I love the stories that Nile tells with their music! After having an almost overkill of warming up with the first 2 songs, the album moves forward with a huge epic song "User Maat-Re", over 9 minutes of perfection and majesty. The next song "The Burning Pits Of The Duat" describes the Egyptian equivalent of Hell and is delivered with some of the most unbelievable ferocity that makes the listener think that this could be the soundtrack of that infernal place...Once the punishment is over, comes one of the most monstrous titles in the band's production, a great song titled "Chapter Of Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Crescent Shaped Horns". The next song "Lashed To The Slave Stick" tells about a painful torture device and is a live favourite. No wonder, the song is a vitriolic showcase of in-your-face death metal. The instrumental "Spawn Of Uamenti" brings to my mind some underground hall where evil black creatures rise from flames...this heralding the next super-epic title track "Annihilation Of The Wicked", where 8 and a half minutes is used to showcase the majesty and might of Nile. Truly a great song that outshines countless songs in the genre if it came to that. And as if this song wasn't enough, the closing epic "Von Unausspreclichen Kulten" ups the ante even higher, with almost 10 minutes of grand and merciless excellence where the band pours down just about everything they've got. After the album is through, I feel breathless and stunned.

When I first started listening to Nile, I used to listen to "In Their Darkened Shrines" and "Annihilation Of The Wicked" side by side, turn by turn...a fantastic duo of albums bringing forth an insane amount of some of the greatest pieces of death metal. To answer RLP's question: maybe, just maybe these 2 albums are my favourites, but only if I had to choose...

I still can't get completely over the loss when I had to sit out the first Nile show in Finland back in the spring of 2006...fortunately I've seen Nile live for 3 times already in 2007 - 2011.

After I had taken control of the entire available Nile discography, I had the priviledge of anticipating a whole new album. "Ithyphallic" was released in July 2007 and proves that even though Nile had already made more weighty & more violently sharp albums one after the other, they could raise the bar yet again. This album also marked the time when I first saw Nile live, with the same friend who first introduced Nile to me. I remember the show started with the album opener "What Can Be Safely Written", a mighty opener indeed. "As He Creates So He Destroys" tells another great story of an idiot god who creates and destroys worlds by playing insane notes with his pipe, this song has become a live favourite too because it just, well, creates and destroys! Another monster title "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water" takes the listener to the shores and depths of Nile again, where the evil crocodile deity dwells in hiding and in hunger...also a live favourite. One of the best songs on the album is the doomy & heavier than hell "Eat Of The Dead". Fantastic lyrical work and the wall of riffs is astounding on this. Returning to the more violent aspects of the band, the fast & vicious "Laying Fire Upon Apep" hits with an irresistible force, telling the story of the evil snake god Apep. The instrumental masterpiece "The Infinity Of Stone" brings back the vibe of Karl Sander's more ambient solo efforts. What a fantastic mindscape this song brings, the core of Nile's whole existence. Whatever happens, the stone is infinite and so is Nile. The album closes with a magnificent, career-encompassing epic "Even The Gods Must Die", an intriguing story of how the gods themselves are immortal too. A great song from start to finish, easily among the greatest Nile songs of all time with the likes of "Masturbating...", "Unas...", "User...", "Annihilation..." and "Von...". After listening to this album, bearing in mind what great works Nile has already made, it always feels amazing that this was just another bend in the long river of Nile's musical excellence.

"Those Whom The Gods Detest" is an all-out assault of death metal excellence. This album proves that Nile is a real cornucopia of the genre, a bottomless well of great riffs and melodies, a philosophy of always delving into new historic tales and striving to hone the song writing towards perfection. Even if Nile has already made many perfect, flawless works on their albums, "Those Whom The Gods Detest" keeps the standard high and at many times takes it even further. The album opens with an intro-like rising before crushing everything with the actual riff work. "Kafir!" tells of the people of Kafiristan, the rebels of that area. Heavy metal is about rebellion againts the conformity enforced by the ruling authority, "Kafir!" is an angry statement in that regard. "Hittite Dung Incantation" just goes to show that even if the title could sound like fun, the content is nothing but fierce punishment. En evil spell summoned from cattle dung! I wonder what the outcome looks like..."Utterances Of The Crawling Dead" brings out more of the mythical side of Nile, the dead can speak in the world of Nile..."Those Whom The Gods Detest" represents one of the most powerful and bone-cracking songs of the album, a great live song too. Same goes with the eerie "4th Arra Of Dagon", telling about the old acquaintance, the god Dagon, of whom Karl Sanders has played a song before on his first solo album. "Permitting The Noble Dead To Descend To The Underworld" paints a picturesque experience from the afterlife with a mind-gripping power, a real movie-like audio-visuality, I can almost see the journey from this world to the underworld through some cosmic pathway...The instrumental "Yezd Desert Ghul Ritual In The Abandoned Towers Of Silence" takes the listener to middle Iran, the infamous Yezd desert where ancient cults took their dead to the solitary towers where the vultures ate the bodies...no-one was allowed to go to the towers as long as the vultures flew there, the dead had to be given their peace to enter from this world to another..."Kem Khefa Kheshef" may sound even stupid to some people, but this song is not to be overlooked because of its title, this is another fiercely hard-hitting song, a real killer that pounds away with power. "The Eye Of Ra"...even when I looked at the title before the album was released, I knew this song would be among the greatest ever. And my expectations were topped! Ra is the god of sun, one of the most important figures in Nile's history and this song truly lives up to its title. "Iskander Dhul Kharnon" tells the myriad story of the apocalypse where Alexander the Great had the power to build strong gates of iron in order to prevent evil forces from entering this world, only he has the power to open those gates again...

The Blessed Dead at Pakkahuone, Tampere, Nov. 23rd 2007
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 09-18-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Picture link

My favorite death metal bands:

The Chasm (Especially Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm, absolutely monumental death metal that creates a haunting soundscape)
    Demigod (Slumber of Sullen Eyes and earlier)
    Demilich (What can I say? This is just really weird, but top-quality death metal. This is what would be released if aliens visited, and tried to mimic our death metal.)
    Cryptopsy (Once Was Not and earlier)
    Morbid Angel (Altars and Blessed only really, tbh)
    Dead Congregation (True poseur-destroying death metal. Like, or leave the hall.)
    Arghoslent (Yes they may be a racist band, but this is some good traditional metal-influenced death metal, Incorrigible Bigotry especially... and if you disagree, enjoy being wrong.)
    Deicide (The Stench of Redemption especially)
    Cannibal Corpse (The Bleeding and earlier only)
    Carcass (More grind early on than death metal, but Necroticism has a special place in my heart as my first Carcass album.)
    At The Gates (Everything other than that atrocious Slaughter of the Soul)
    Death (Symbolic and Human especially.)
    Obscura (Really intense melodic technical death metal... Cosmogenesis is still wrecking my shit.)
    Devourment (More slam death than actual death metal, but a tasty band regardless.)
    Immersed (Local death metal from Ottawa, Ontario. If you haven't heard then, check out their album In the Ire of Creation... and prepare for some good death metal.)
    Arsis (A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond for Disease only.)
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Bought my first real death metal CD the other day.

Vital Remains - Icons Of Evil

Okay, so technically I have had some death metal albums before but not really if this makes any sense. Opeth was the only death metal band I liked for a very long time but I consider them more prog death.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

PARADISE LOST, MY DYING BRIDE, AT THE GATES Members Join Forces In
    VALLENFYRE - Sep. 2, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=162744

Century Media Records has revealed more details about its latest
    signing, the U.K. death metal band VALLENFYRE. The group is the
    brainchild of Gregor Mackintosh, songwriter and guitarist of PARADISE
    LOST, and features members of MY DYING BRIDE, AT THE GATES and DOOM.

VALLENFYRE just released the "Desecration / Iconoclast" seven-inch
    single (limited to 500 copies) on Imperium Productions. Samples of
    both tracks can be found on the band's official web site.
    http://www.vallenfyre.co.uk/

VALLENFYRE is:

* Gregor Mackintosh (PARADISE LOST) - Vocals and Lead Guitar
    * Hamish Glencross (MY DYING BRIDE) - Rhythm and Lead Guitars
    * Mully - Rhythm Guitars
    * Scoot (DOOM, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND) - Bass
    * Adrian Erlandsson (AT THE GATES, PARADISE LOST) - Drums

The sound of VALLENFYRE goes back to Gregor's youth.

"I was first introduced to more extreme music by my older brother in
    1981." Gregor says. "Over the next few years in my early teens, I grew
    to love various early hardcore punk bands like DISCHARGE, ENGLISH
    DOGS, CONFLICT, etc. Around a similar time I was becoming aware of
    other more metal music like MOTÖRHEAD and BLACK SABBATH. In '84/85' I
    got into bands who were fusing these styles like HELLHAMMER, ANTISECT
    and AMEBIX. A couple of years later I started tape-trading with people
    all around the world, which enabled me to hear lots of really cool,
    interesting, extreme music. AUTOPSY, NAPALM DEATH, MORBID ANGEL,
    REPULSION, NIHILIST are some of the more well-known names I started to
    get into, but there were many, many more which never gained the same
    notoriety. At the same time, I formed PARADISE LOST with my friends.
    Our early stuff was a bit of a mixture of all this stuff but we also
    had a lot of doom influence from the likes of CANDLEMASS, TROUBLE and
    ST. VITUS."

The events that led to the conception and formation of VALLENFYRE are
    not particularly happy or pretty ones.

"In the late summer of 2009, my father, John Mackintosh, was diagnosed
    with prostate cancer," Gregor explained. "Later in the autumn as his
    treatment progressed, PARADISE LOST embarked on their European tour to
    support the latest album ['Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us']. A
    week into this, I received a call from my mother telling me that the
    doctors had found cancer in his lungs and it was terminal. He only had
    weeks to live. I made the decision to leave the tour, leaving my very
    able guitar tech Milly [not be confused with VALLENFYRE's Mully] to
    take my place. I went and stayed with my parents for the next few
    weeks. After a very sad and painful time, he passed away on the 2nd
    December early in the morning. Over the next few weeks I experienced
    all the famous stages of grief. It started to become very
    self-destructive so I decided to channel it into creating something.
    To pay respects to the man that drove us to our very first gigs
    because none of us could drive. The only dad I knew that listened to
    BOLT THROWER's 'Peel Sessions' on the radio. The guy who gave me my
    first chord book. I decided that I was going to go right back to the
    beginning. To my roots in death, crust and doom. It all started very
    angst ridden. This wasn't originally meant for anyone else to hear. It
    was a release. After recording some material, I realized that I was
    actually enjoying doing this but I wanted friends involved so it could
    actually become real fun."

The tracks on the seven-inch single and the upcoming album were
    recorded between December 2010 and April 2011.

Added Gregor: "The album is called 'A Fragile King', which is a
    reference to my father's battle with cancer. The lyrics are
    predominantly about the same thing, but also include gripes with
    society, religion, politics and relationships as well. It's all pretty
    grim."

"A Fragile King" will be released on October 31 in Europe and on
    November 1 in North America.

VALLENFYRE is not a one-off project but will continue as a band that
    will also play live in 2012.

Im liking the new Decapitated. Although they downplayed the Death Metal to it in some respects. So I'm miss that element to the band to some degree. They're playing in my area next month and I'm really glad I'll be able to see them again. Other then that Im still mostly listening to Death's Human re-issue from June. It's a masterpiece already, but now presented with 100 times better sound quality. It just never ceases to amaze me.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

dev, good that you mentioned this today, cos I was thinking of asking you via PM, exactly about this, i.e. your take on Decapitated's latest, Carnival Is Foreverr. Although I don't think it's a totally dispensable, dud disc at all, I have to say that I'm still feeling more than a little cheated and underwhelmed by it, all around. I know how much you liked their last one, Organic Hallucinosis, and after initially not liking it much, I, too, came around to liking it quite a lot. Now, I hope I have an encore with 'CIF', cos right now I'm finding it a definite disappointment in a number of ways, not least of which is the needless, blatant toning down of Decapitated's otherwise unrelenting brutal-technical death metal tempest. The riffing, overall, sounds largely lacklustre and somewhat strangely derivative of certain mediocre, so-called 'mathcore' acts---and I don't mean it merely in the staccato styled riffs that isn't alien to Decapitated anyway. I just think the songwriting, the lyrics, and even the drumming all appear to be rather ordinary. Not as bad as Morbid Angel's latest one, but then Decapitated is arguably a much better band than MA, and haven't made a bad record, so far. Despite Decapitated's recent many troubles, I still expected a much better album, no kidding.

Other than this, I wonder if you have heard any of the latest albums from the following:

Vader- 'Welcome to the Morbid Reich'
    Vomitory - 'Opus Mortis VIII'
    Deicide - 'To Hell With God'
    Dying Fetus - History Repeats EP
    [1. Fade Into Obscurity (Dehumanized cover)

2. Unchallenged Hate (Napalm Death cover)

3. Gorehog (Broken Hope cover)

4. Rohypnol

5. Unleashed Upon Mankind (Bolt Thrower cover)

6. Twisted Truth (Pestilence cover)

7. Born in a Casket (Cannibal Corpse cover) ]

Origin - 'Entity'
    Macabre - 'Grim Scary Tales'
    Exhumed - 'All Guts, No Glory'
    Fleshgod Apocalypse - 'Agony'
    Pestilence - 'Doctrine'
    Hate Eternal - 'Phoenix Amongst the Ashes'

Also, dev, has all the Death albums been excellently re-issued, like 'Human' is?
    Wormrot - 'Dirge' (grindcore)
    Jungle Rot - 'Kill On Command'
    Haemorrhage - 'Hospital Carnage'

^ I reckon I mostly like all of these albums above, to different degrees, of course.

Well RLP as I said I think Carnival is a cool album. Considering I never expected a follow up after the devastating loss of Vitek, I'd say any release from the band is a sort of triumph in my opinion. For what it is I think it crosses over into something thrashy, or "whatever-core" then something like Winds of Creation. But I could see them going that route back when I first heard the riffs on Hallucinosis. But again, it would have been cooler if they grounded themselves a bit more in Death Metal on this one. Its no surprise how Vogg is a fan of Dimebag. I get a sort of Pantera vibe on this at times. But to me Voggs riffs are still 10 times as hooky and 10 times more interesting then Pantera. So I am digging the album, but it doesnt knock Organic off the top of my favorite Decapitated albums list.

I dont like the new Vader album (Although I love the new Star Wars Blu Ray set!!! Lol!!). My friend had it in his car one day & I was generally unimpressed with both the songs, sound quality. Peters voice has gotten worse. I like Necropolis a lot but this one is a dud imo.

The Deicide album is much much better then its predecessor. And Ive listened to it on & off since its release. Although maybe still not as good as Stench for me, its still definitely enjoyable.

Ive never been a Dying Fetus listener. I remember seeing them live with Cannibal & not liking them much at all. But them doing covers might be a different experience. Ill have to check out some samples somewhere.

I really respect Origin for their skills as musicians. But what Ive heard sometimes is perhaps a bit too chaotic to me. I havent heard the newest one though so perhaps Ill check it out.

Not a fan of Macabre.
    Not a fan of Exhumed.
    Never heard Fleshgod.

I want to like Pestilence Doctrine. But again like the difference between Testimony & Spheres this latest one doesn't expand on the direction of the great Resurrection Macabre at all, it's Totally off in a different realm. It almost reminds me of Roots era Sepultura. Im a bit bummed by that one. Although a couple tracks are listenable. Not what I was hoping for at all.

I wanted to like that Hate Eternal. But I think it sounds terrible. The mix does no courtesy to the music. Being a musician I have a pretty well trained ear to make sense out of chaotic riffs. But this mix is so awful I cant make out half of whats going on except for drumming and vocals. In actuality though I think the only H.E.album Ive ever really liked (equally songs & the production) is I monarch. There are some great epic riffs on that one.

Dont know Wormrot
    Never liked Jungle Rot
    Dont know Haemorrhage.

as for the Death albums Symbolic & Perseverance are the others that have so far been re-released. I dont think the Symbolic was part of the Relapse deal that is currently in place. So that one may surface yet again with more extra's. I know that Thought Patterns is next to come. Not sure if they'll go back to Spiritual, Leprosy or Gore at all. But Id personally love a new mix of Spiritual.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    as for the Death albums Symbolic & Perseverance are the others that have so far been re-released. I dont think the Symbolic was part of the Relapse deal that is currently in place. So that one may surface yet again with more extra's. I know that Thought Patterns is next to come. Not sure if they'll go back to Spiritual, Leprosy or Gore at all. But Id personally love a new mix of Spiritual.
    Since the 1999 reissues of Death albums (and digipack reprints only a few years back) only the albums "The Sound Of Perseverance" and "Human" have been reissued again as 2 & 3 CD editions. "Individual Thought Patterns" is next. They do have a strange running order with this reissue series, but oh well.

http://deathband.bandcamp.com/

06.10.2011, 14:46:48
    Xtreem Music offers a free 2CD compilation incl. DEMIGOD, FUNEBRE, DEMILICH, DISGRACE...

http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=news&id=15649

To commemorate the 100th release on the 10th anniversary of Spanish Extreme Metal label Xtreem Music, here's a very special release. A 100% free downloadable double-CD, the 4th label sampler showcasing 24 bands from past, present and upcoming releases on the Xtreem Cult Series. Almost 2 hours with one song of each band, only re-issues from cult underground gems.

Killer cover artwork courtesy of Finnish cult artist Turkka Rantanen (Demigod, Demilich, Paganizer, Adramelech, Depravity, Ribspreader...)
    - http://tgrantanen.free.fr.

DOWNLOAD THE COMPILATION NOW FROM HERE. http://www.compilation.xtreemmusic.com/

The compilation includes:

CD1:
    01. Demigod - As I Behold I Despise
    02. Rottrevore - Conspiracised
    03. Funebre - Shiver
    04. Revenant - The Burning Ground
    05. Sacrilege - Insurrection
    06. Dissect - Gals of the Eternal Solstice
    07. Adramelech - Heroes in Godly Blaze
    08. Morpheus Descends - The Way af All Flesh
    09. Lethal Aggression - Outcast/Proud Johnny/I'll Fight
    10. Unbounded Terror - Dreamlord
    11. Cartilage - Why Do I Watch the Dawn?
    12. Apparition - Curse of the Sunrise

CD2:
    01. Demilich - The Echo (Replacement)
    02. Supuration - Hypertrophy - Sordid and Outrageous Emanation
    03. Multiplex - Raise the Ecstatic
    04. Purtenance - A Dark Cloud Arises
    05. Necrophiliac - Gorefruit Trasure
    06. Killing Addiction - Omega Factor
    07. Abhorer - Abandonment of Chastity
    08. Disgrace - Unity's Interlude Dyes Blind Tomorrow
    09. Apostasy - Fraud in the Name of God
    10. Phlegethon - Ornaments
    11. Altar - Nothing Human
    12. Absorbed - Off-World Endeavour

any new finds? I have been really into Demigod lately!

Just ordered The new Blotted Science Ep The Animation Of Entomology. Pretty cool release from Webster/Jarzonbek. I only wish at times it was a little more straight-forward Death Metal. But with Jarzonbek you're never going to get anything straight-forward. So hoping for that isn't very realistic. But its cool, chaotic, and they play every note possible on a guitar neck at one point or another. Sometimes more then once .

It was 6.95 to order as a Download on Amazon. I figured Id get it that way & if I loved it, I'd order the Physical disc from Jarzombeks site directly. So far its good. Im giving it a few more days to decide on that.

^ dev, I got the new Blotted Science ep just over a week ago, but only listened to it for the first time, last night. I like it a fair bit so far, and guessing that I'm gonna like it even more with 2-3 more listens. It's been a 4-year long wait since BS's superb debut disc, The Machinations of Dementia, and this EP may well turn out to be the perfect foretaste of another quality full-length release soon. This is the uncommon sort of 'progressive' DM that I always dig. I know this isn't an obvious parallel at all, but fans of Opeth might wanna try out Blotted Science--and maybe even find they like the band more than they do Opeth (as is my case).

Extreme Noise Terror has returned after a three-hear haitus, with a re-release of their very early record, in fact their full-length album debut, A Holocaust in Your Head. This new one is called Holocaust In My Head. This should be a decent buy and listen.

Absu, has put out their own latest disc, 'Abzu', just over two years after their s-t album. I'm thinking over whether to buy it soon.

Other than that, I think I've already mentioned a few big-ticket extreme metal records scheduled for October release. Looking forward to them all.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 10-09-2011 at 04:14 AM.

Went to see Decapitated & Decrepit Birth last night at the Whiskey A Go-go in Hollywood. Truly mind blowing. Firstly, I cant remember the last time I saw this many Metalheads at the Whiskey. Definitely near capacity, which is great to see. Ive seen Decapitated live before but never with quite this much energy. I will say previous experiences were them opening for other bands, so perhaps that had something to do with their demeanor. This was the first time I saw them as a Headliner. Since the only constant in the band is Vogg, I was somewhat concerned with how the new guys would sound on the older material. As good of a release as Carnival is, the new material is in a bit of a different realm of Death Metal then earlier albums. But gladly the new lineup delivered flawless & faithful renditions of Decapitated classics such as Winds of Creation, Day 69, and Spheres of Madness. The new album material also sounded much more powerful live.

Its odd but Decrepit Birth is a band that has eluded me at just about every turn since I heard their debut album 7 or 8 years ago. It seems every time Ive gone to see a show they were playing at I catch the last few notes of the last song, or I miss them completely. Arriving at the Whiskey at about 10 pm I expected D.B. to start around 11. Nope they were 1 - 2 songs into their set already. So I was very glad to finally get some time to see the band in action. I have to say even their most proggy- jazzy material was 100 times better live then on album. Which is the way it should be I suppose. AlsoI was unaware that Derek Boyer was touring with the band. So it was great to see him slamming it out with these guys after the numerous Suffocation shows Ive seen in the last 7 or 8 years.

Anyway just a great pair of bands late on a Monday night in Los Angeles. And I gotta say REASONABLY PRICE MERCH!! I picked up a killer 2sided Decapitated Shirt for $20. Its been ages since I paid that little for such an elaborate shirt.

Decapitated are heading north up the West coast after their show up in SF tonight then up to Canada. Anyone in a city they're playing Id say definitely head out to the show. It was great to see such a killer onslaught of Crushing Death Metal.
    Last edited by devstorm; 10-12-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Let's trade places and lives, dev.

Swell for you to have had the chance to see and savour both of these dynamic death metal bands, upfront.

Although I earlier talked of how I wasn't wowed by Decapitated's latest disc, I still think it was a very listenable album, overall. Besides, I wouldn't ever pass up a chance to see Decapitated, onstage. And I sense that Carnival might even win me over somewhat, when performed LIVE.

Decrepit Birth is also a very impressive bunch of extreme metallers. Despite slamming a few aspects of their last, very popular album, Diminishing Between Worlds, I, nonetheless, appreciate their aims on that album, and moderately liked the results. I still think their biggest claim to fame must be their landmark brutal-tech dm debut disc, '...And Time Begins'. I also really liked their latest album, 'Polarity', so I'm back in the fan fold. But as an aside, I gotta say how I've always loved DB's label mates (at Unique Leader), Deeds of Flesh much more.

It's such a hard luck story of how I have gone without seeing some of my favourite extreme bands for nearly a year, or more. How I wish in vain that Decapitated would head down under to our shores in the coming summer.

dev, your earlier remark about 'proggy-jazzy' material reminds me of the likes of Atheist, and their last album of last year, 'Jupiter'. Then there was Cynic's comeback with 'Traced in Air' of a few years ago. Have you heard (and liked them)? I don't remember whether you like other related bands like Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist, or Australia's Psycroptic. or Canada's Gorguts etc etc....

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm
    Never heard Fleshgod.
    Dont know Wormrot
    Dont know Haemorrhage.
    Fleshgod Apocalypse is a very impressive tech-dm band from Italy. Their twin peaks are their debut, 'Oracles', and this year's 'Agony'. The Mafia EP of last year is also worth checking out. These releases make me a definite FA fan.
    http://www.myspace.com/fleshgodapocalypse

Wormrot is an out and out grindcore act from Singapore, of all places. These young guys are pretty cool players of grind, and the all more remarkable to have sprung up from such an improbable locale, i.e. strait-laced Singapore. Grind fans are taking note of these Asian hell-raisers.
    http://www.myspace.com/wormrotgrind

Heamorrhage is a classic 'goregrind' act from Spain. They have been around since the early-'90s, and I have been a fan for nearly as long, from when I first heard their debut, 'Emetic Cult'. Their new album 'Hospital Carnage' shows this band is still out for blood and still brilliant.
    http://myspace.com/haemorrhage

Also, happy to hear that you liked Deicide's new 'To Hell With God' album. I largely liked it too, but I still have my pet peeves with the overdoing of the new 'melodic' angle to the band's sound, since the arrival of Ralph Santolla. I remember dissing certain things about Stench, though I admit it's a very strong, convincing album, all round. I have even come around to better appreciating the last one, 'Till Death Do Us Part'. Now, 'To Hell With God', despite being chock full of the by-now melodic, careening soloing, is actually a more appealing death metal album, than put out by many of Deicide's (often younger) contemporaries. Maybe I just badly miss the blatantly meaner, more menacing onslaught of the Hoffmann brothers on Deicide's lead guitars, but I know how I'd definitely be a lot happier with the toning down of the overkill of Santolla's melody-fests. Jack Owen should be more involved, and bring a bit more of a brutal edge of old to the playing, overall.

I appreciate your comments about Hate Eternal. Plenty of my fellow fans of the band seem to feel similarly. Erik Rutan has also been roundly panned for his 'production' values (in both HE, and Cannibal Corpse). Many fans seem to hate the supposedly dirty, thick, muddy, 'shitty' sound he brings to the albums he's been involved in. I don't know, but I think some of these complaints are a bit overdone. Now, I can concede that some of the music on HE's first two albums and their last two, can possibly seem to be overly complex, chaotic and ultimately unsatisfying. For me, though, there's something uniquely uncompromising and unrelenting about Hate Eternal's sound that I've always found really admirable, and more importantly, just a real thrill to listen to. Erik is the absolute authentic article when it comes to devotion to his craft and the cause of extreme metal, in general. I love the guy's attitude, acumen and artistic accomplishments. I really liked the new 'Phoenix Amongst the Ashes' album. I agree that 'I, Monarch' is arguably their finest hour, though I really liked their first two albums just as much.

Origin's new one, 'Entity' is a cool album. A little more complex, elaborate, (longer running time), with a bit more 'melody' to the playing, I just found Entity to be a very worthy listen. My respect for, and enjoyment of this band has steadily grown over the years. 'III' is still my favourite Origin album.

I share your disappointment with Pestilence's 'Doctrine' album. After the resurgent 'Resurrection Macabre' record, I had every reason and right to expect much better. But Doctrine, while not a wholly sucky album at all, feels like a big let-down, nonetheless.

Lastly, sorry to hear that you're no fan of Dying Fetus. I've always been a very avid Fetus fanatic, haha.

Gosh, I seem to gab the most on this particular thread. I think a third of the posts here are mine. That's what chatter about Death Metal always brings out of me. LOL

Got this as a bonus promo piece as a part of my Exodus order...a nice surprise & fierce music!