Banned

Default Happy 70th Birthday Ronnie!

This would have been the master's 70th Birthday today!

Knowing Ronnie he would have had a show to celebrate...maybe a solo set and followed by Heaven & Hell set!

Happy birthday Ronnie! Miss you. You ARE the greatest!

Been spamming my Facebook with his music today.
    Since he's the dirty bastard that brought me into heavy metal, he deserves a special salute.
    "I'll SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Bittersweet day, great memories all around though! I wonder if he would have still been performing if he were alive and healthy today. I wonder if we ever would have gotten the rest of Magica. Mostly now though I wonder if Wendy is ever going to finish and put out that damn book for us already!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Banned

I think the book won't be out until next year...If I remember correctly...sadly a long wait ahead of us!

I'm pretty sure Ronnie would still be preforming...maybe not quite as much as few years ago, but I doubt he would have retired yet...considering how incredibly strong his voice was up until the very last show he did!

We would definitely have magica II and a new H&H album as well by now...I'm sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I think the book won't be out until next year...If I remember correctly...sadly a long wait ahead of us!

I'm pretty sure Ronnie would still be preforming...maybe not quite as much as few years ago, but I doubt he would have retired yet...considering how incredibly strong his voice was up until the very last show he did!

We would definitely have magica II and a new H&H album as well by now...I'm sure of it.
    Yeah and the worst part is that as much as I loved "Magica" I simply cannot stop thinking about how awesome Magica II would have been. Listening to "Temple of the King" right now, remembering all the good times, all the times I felt so empowered to hear one of his songs because it made me feel like there was at least ONE person in this world that understood. Well there isn't anyone anymore I guess, I will probably never get over that.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Banned

I thought Ronnie's bandmates were going to finish up what work the did do on Magica II with Ronnie and release it? I want them to finish the record. One last hurrah for the master.

He lives on through us. Long Live The King! Happy Birthday Ronnie James Dio. \,,/

Happy Birthday! I am sure RJD is celebrating on the other side somewhere. I played all his music today Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven and Hell to celebrate that he was born and gave us such great music that will not be forgotten. Maybe someone can clear this up. I have read that Vivian Campbell wants to get the original members of DIO and perform the music again. VC has to be kidding the bad mouthing he did about RJD. Has anyone else heard anything. Sorry there could not be another singer doing Dio songs. No one can be Ronnie James Dio there was only one great singer.
    As you walk this path of life may you be greeted with kindness,compassion and happiness!

Happy Birthday RJD - yeah it is a bittersweet day - I too listened to Dio's music today in rememberance and like you Charger think he would be still playing shows & making music - really makes me sad when I think what could have been with another H&H LP
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Happy Birthday Ronnie, Here's a tribute I made for the fallen metal hero
    http://edtradernet.weebly.com/dio-tribute.html
    Pain and Poison Roses

Happy Birthday and RIP to a true Rock God. He will live on forever through his music and fans.

Happy Birthday RJD, it still makes me sad that the greatest voice ever has been silenced...Long Live The King

And on a related note, RJD would have decided if he would retire on his 70th birthday, according to Geezer:

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Butler
    Today, July 10th, Ronnie should have been celebrating his 70th birthday, and probably would have been if he’d had his health checked regularly. I once asked him if he’d ever thought about retiring- he said he would make that decision on his 70th birthday- that is why today is so poignant.I think I know what his decision would have been……..
    http://www.geezerbutler.com/2012/07/rjd70/
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Happy "Belated" Birthday to RJD! (Here at least, was spot on on my FB page). Geezer mentioned on his FB page that this July 10th was bittersweet, as Ronnie had told him he would think about retiring on his 70th birthday. I spent the 10th listening to all things Dio as a tribute, and this weekend I was able to catch a Dio Sabbath and an all around Dio Tribute band. Brought back a lot of memories of seeing him live. The Dio Sabbath band was incredible, with a female vocalist, and a guitar player who was pretty much spot on as Tony.

RIP RJD
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

He was just too young to go....RJD had still more to give in this world...so sad....

You know, no one his age ever gravitated or morphed into Hevay Metal... he's the same age relatively as the Beatles and Stones, Ronnie was truly the Grand Wizard of Heavy Metal, as he was the oldest member... he wasn't the first, but his career started out in the late 50's, no one even comes close to evolving from the 50's R&R "crooner" era to making some of the heaviest records ever recorded and being a beacon for the Heavy Metal genre...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    You know, no one his age ever gravitated or morphed into Hevay Metal... he's the same age relatively as the Beatles and Stones, Ronnie was truly the Grand Wizard of Heavy Metal, as he was the oldest member... he wasn't the first, but his career started out in the late 50's, no one even comes close to evolving from the 50's R&R "crooner" era to making some of the heaviest records ever recorded and being a beacon for the Heavy Metal genre...
    That's a very good point...come to think of it, RJD developed his singing from that soft R&B style to his raspy rock delivery quite quickly, considering he was 30 years old already! I guess his tenures with bands like Ronnie & The Redcaps were crucial to the development of his signature sound we all know and love. The man was truly versatile
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 12-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Legend has it that a 'crooner' like Christopher Lee (yes, the actor!!) released a heavy metal record................

Christopher Lee ... 'People are beginning to look upon me as a metal singer'. Photograph: EPA

The man who played Dracula, Saruman and the Man with the Golden Gun is now to portray Charlemagne – through the medium of song. Actor Christopher Lee is to release an album of "symphonic metal", telling the story of his own direct ancestor, the first Holy Roman Emperor.
    "To my surprise and indeed great pleasure, I have suddenly found that there is another string to my bow," Sir Christopher said in a video message. Due on 15 March, Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross features the 87-year-old singing and acting alongside a full orchestra, choir, and a large cast of undisclosed guest vocalists. "There's a lot of characters in this particular album," Lee explained. "A lot. There's Charlemagne himself of course, which I sing, and then there's young Charlemagne, Charlemagne's father, Charlemagne's brother, ... [even] the Pope."
    There's also, er, some heavy-duty headbanging, courtesy of Italian composer Marco Sabiu. As half of 1980s production duo the Rapino Brothers, Sabiu helped create hits by Kylie Minogue and Take That. More recently, Sabiu worked with both Françoise Hardy and Luciano Pavarotti. According to the project's website, the lyrics were written by Marie-Claire Calvet, "a graduate from Bristol University". Calvet's MySpace states that she is a fan of such metal luminaries as Judy Garland, Jacques Brel and Oasis.
    "It's pretty unexpected," Lee admitted. Although he has previously worked on metal projects – narrating several records by Italian band Rhapsody of Fire, and collaborating briefly with Manowar – he has never released an album before. This particular project resonated not just with the actor's dark, storm-whipped soul – but with his family tree. "I am through the Carandini family [his mother's] actually descended from Charlemagne," he revealed.
    "It's fascinating for me that at this stage in my life, people are beginning to look upon me as a metal singer," Lee said. "When this comes out as a complete album, it's going to be sensational."
    Listen to samples from Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross.