Thread: Download or CD?

Default Download or CD?

OK, I am finaly getting a computer for the house. Yeah I know, I am probably the only person under 50 who does not have a home computer of some kind. Anyway, I am very old school, I will be 43 soon, and I have albums, 8 tracks, cassettes, and cds! Just love having something actually in my hand to look at. After I purchase the computer I will still have a few bucks in my pocket. So the question I have is should I download music and welcome the digital/download world or should I stay old school and keep buying cds?
    "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Personally I will always buy CDs (given the option) and then rip them to MP3 files for when I want to copy them to my Walkman. I like the booklets which come with CDs the cover art and so on, MP3s are too impersonal.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

I as well will be buying CDs till they are no longer available and I also put them in Itunes for my Ipod and easy listening while I am on the computer. If you do decide too buy digitally and download you might want to stick to Lossless audio formats.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

CDs. They are generally cheaper and have lossless quality.
    Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
    No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
    I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
    I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Buy CD .... If your money can follow your greed and your passion . For many reasons : physical support , covert art , the booklet ...
    mp3 is very practical but the sound isn't always better .
    I' m old school . This last year I came back to my old vinyls and, now , I enjoy their great and original sound !
    I discuss with some of marketing professionals who say the CD support is dead . I hope they 're wrong .

IMO you should stick to CDs, but then again if space is a problem digital media might be something to consider. I will keep buying stuff on CD or vinyl depending on how much I think I will need that special feeling which vinyl gives. Also some artists, like Yes for exampe, have cover artwork that demand vinyl. I will buy CDs if they are cheaper or if I really need the music while driving ^^
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Thanks guys! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I do love having cds! So I will keep on buying.

CDs, if you can find them for a reasonable price. The trouble I have with digital files is they use a lossy format (usually) that has lower fidelity. If you've looked at DVDs side by side with Blu-Ray or you've looked at photos that came out of digital cameras ten years ago, you've seen how over time digital formats begin to look worse and worse in comparison with new formats. Of course, the same thing could eventually happen to CDs (the music industry unsuccessfully tried to push toward a higher-fidelity CD a few years back), but I would think it would be worse with lossy-format MP3 files.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Banned

CDs ofcourse...I don't really buy any of that mp3 crap. Why spend money on an inferior product when you can actually get the real thing?

The day cds go out is the day I'll stop getting new music.

Quote Originally Posted by DISCMAN1969 View Post
    Thanks guys! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I do love having cds! So I will keep on buying.

Great decision! Sifting through a stack of CDs is a joy - physical products with artwork and notes, feels like an actual collection. A physical music collection is an achievement to be proud of, to nurture and develop, and proudly watch it grow.

Mp3s can go to Hell! Curse you Mp3s! Crappy-format soulless inferior junk.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

As somebody who has always bought albums on CDs, and will continue for as long as CDs are available, I'd just instinctively tell you to stick to CDs, ---but only if you're genuinely willing to do so---not for the sake of being old-school and conventional, or out of fear of not being able to properly access and store digital downloads etc. The only obvious downside to CDs, in my eyes, is the inevitable inconvenience of storage space, as collections swell. I speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie
    MP3s are too impersonal.
    Not to speak of just how utterly crappy they sound to my ears. Also, I can't stand iPods, never bought one, nor feel the urge to ever use one. CDs are the real deal to me, in several different ways.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Great decision! Sifting through a stack of CDs is a joy - physical products with artwork and notes, feels like an actual collection. A physical music collection is an achievement to be proud of, to nurture and develop, and proudly watch it grow.

Mate, you nailed it! This should be a sticky post, for the ages
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Well I think tonight I may go to the store and see what I can get for 70 bucks. I know I should just order online since most stores now carry hardly anything. So what I don't find tonight I will order tomorrow!

So the question I have is should I download music and welcome the digital/download world or should I stay old school and keep buying cds?
    Carry on buying albums on CD by all means, but downloading bootlegs of live shows is a great thing to get into.
    >>TECHNICIńNS ÷F SPŇCE
    SHIP EŇRTH THIS IS
    Y÷‹R CńPTŇIN SPEńKING
    Y÷‹R ōŇPTŇIN IS DEA˝D<<

OK, I am finaly getting a computer for the house. Yeah I know, I am probably the only person under 50 who does not have a home computer of some kind.
    I have a degree in computer science from 1992...and I did not own a computer until I got married in 1999!

I have never downloaded music and have no plans to. I didn't get a CD player until 1991. I still have a few cassettes (no 8-tracks or vinyl outside of some collectibles/autographs), though a lot of them are wearing-out and sounding like they were recorded underwater. I think my oldest one is probably Gary Moore's Wild Frontier, which I bought in Canada (10/Virgin Records) as a new release in 1987. The cassette itself is black...so are several other Canadian issue cassettes I have (Lee Aaron, Metal Queen). Other than that, probably the Def Leppard High 'N Dry with the remixed "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" and "Me And My Wine," which I got sometime in the late '80s.

So, I'm an old troglodyte...and proud of it!

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Well I think tonight I may go to the store and see what I can get for 70 bucks. I know I should just order online since most stores now carry hardly anything. So what I don't find tonight I will order tomorrow!
    That's my dilemma...no brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy and FYE around here) hardly have anything to speak of, though I have better luck when I go over to Canada and shop at Sunrise Records (even though with the Canadian and American dollars being more or less equal it's not the bargain it used to be). I used to go to Sam The Record Man but they are semi-extinct now. I do occasionally find some good stuff used at FYE, though.

I remember well the days of Musicland, Sam Goody (which I think were the same) and much-missed mom-and-pop record shops.
    Last edited by DiosSword; 08-07-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Like a lot of posters have already said, buy the CD and then rip them into MP3's. I rip mine at 256 VBR to get a higher quality sound. They take up more space, but memory is cheap these days. I have a 1 TB hard drive on my computer and a 1.5 TB drive as a back up. I highly recommend a back up hard drive if you decide to do MP3's of any type.

I purchase most of my CDs online either through Amazon or direct from the bands. I still buy mostly CDs, however if I will buy MP3s from Amazon and iTunes. There are a number of albums that I was having issues locating (most being out of print), and a used copy was very expensive, but a download was $9.99, so in those instances I buy the download. It's funny, I purchase my CDs, I immediately rip them into MP3s, and then listen to the album through my computer or iPod while looking through the CD booklet. So my CDs technically never get played. They go to my CD rack and sit. Every once in a blue moon I put a CD on my stereo, but for the most part they get played as MP3s on my iPod on one of my 2 docks, or using the Sync system in my F-150.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I have a degree in computer science from 1992...and I did not own a computer until I got married in 1999!

I have never downloaded music and have no plans to. I didn't get a CD player until 1991. I still have a few cassettes (no 8-tracks or vinyl outside of some collectibles/autographs), though a lot of them are wearing-out and sounding like they were recorded underwater. I think my oldest one is probably Gary Moore's Wild Frontier, which I bought in Canada (10/Virgin Records) as a new release in 1987. The cassette itself is black...so are several other Canadian issue cassettes I have (Lee Aaron, Metal Queen). Other than that, probably the Def Leppard High 'N Dry with the remixed "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" and "Me And My Wine," which I got sometime in the late '80s.

So, I'm an old troglodyte...and proud of it!

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

That's my dilemma...no brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy and FYE around here) hardly have anything to speak of, though I have better luck when I go over to Canada and shop at Sunrise Records (even though with the Canadian and American dollars being more or less equal it's not the bargain it used to be). I used to go to Sam The Record Man but they are semi-extinct now. I do occasionally find some good stuff used at FYE, though.

I remember well the days of Musicland, Sam Goody (which I think were the same) and much-missed mom-and-pop record shops.
    I hear ya, man! I miss the days of just going to a record store and getting what you need. We had a Wall To Wall near us when I was a late teen. All my money went to that store buying albums.

Now all we have is Walmart, Target and Best Buy and none of them carry a whole lot.

As far as what I purchased? Nothing! Had to use the 70 for the car and buy new tires! Ah real life always gets in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post

I've got to join the bandwagon with RLP, your post really sums up my view perfectly!

It's a different feeling and situation when I listen to cd's versus listening to digital files. When I play music from my computer (most of which is ripped from my cd's though) it works as background music, and I don't pay attention to it in the same way that I do when I blast a cd - or better yet, a vinyl - through the speakers/headphones. When I listen to physical mediums, it has my full, undivided attention. And it's just a whole different experience when you listen to an album as an entity and hold the actual cover in your hands and possibly browse the liner notes.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I will always buy CD’s or Vinyl only, never MP3’s.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I buy cds. I have full collections of my favourite bands. So i get them to keep that intact. And i am quite old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSabbath View Post
    I buy cds. I have full collections of my favourite bands. So i get them to keep that intact. And i am quite old fashioned.
    There is nothing like holding an album of your favorite artist in your hand and looking at the artwork and reading the liner notes.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

CraigSabbath (12-21-2018)

CD---- by a country mile! ...

Ideally, compact discs of course. Download? Sure, but it has to be lossless. If you get lossy files first, there will be a day when you wanna get lossless audio of the same song/album. That would make lossy downloads a huge waste of time at the end.

Truth is, I can't tell the exact difference between lossy and lossless files, but listening to lossless audio do make me feel better.
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

I do Cds, LPs and lately I have been downloading stuff on Bandcamp. I love the Bandcamp site and app!

Honestly I love CDs but they take up so much space. I go for 320kbps MP3. Its not lossless but it sounds the exact same, I'm pretty sure any loss on the files is out of a normal human's range of hearing.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

I think you should download rather than use cd. Currently there are many download tools as well as conversion. I often use youtubeconverter to download favorite songs from youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenka113 View Post
    I think you should download rather than use cd. Currently there are many download tools as well as conversion. I often use youtubeconverter to download favorite songs from youtube.
    I'll only ever purchase physical copies, the YouTube converter sounds good though, I've tried using it but can't figure it out.

I still buy CD's.

There is a retro-type shop over in Canada that I like that has classic CD's.

Balls to overpriced vinyl now that costs three times what I paid for it back in the '70s/'80s.

Balls to MP3's.

CD's until I die.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I still buy CD's.

There is a retro-type shop over in Canada that I like that has classic CD's.

Balls to overpriced vinyl now that costs three times what I paid for it back in the '70s/'80s.

Balls to MP3's.

CD's until I die.
    Same here, I do buy vinyl once in awhile when it's Sabbath.