Default Can anyone recommend any Black Sabbath books?

I'm looking for one that covers every lineup of the band and dishes the dirt on the various bust-ups etc.

I've read reviews about Iommi's book being a bit tedious, and tbh, I find the best music biographies to be written by outside writers anyway, but I do want an author who is actually well-versed and knows the subject well.

Does such a book exist on Sabbath?

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post

I've read reviews about Iommi's book being a bit tedious, and tbh, I find the best music biographies to be written by outside writers anyway, but I do want an author who is actually well-versed and knows the subject well.
    I like Iommis book. Straight from the horses mouth as it were. Way better than Ozzys, even if that's also a pretty good, entertaining read.

Doom Let Loose was pretty good, probably the best one I've read yet.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I'm looking for one that covers every lineup of the band and dishes the dirt on the various bust-ups etc.

Not particularly what you asked for, but the best Sabbath book is "How Black Was Our Sabbath?" by David Tangye and Graham Wright, who were the assistants to Ozzy and Bill respectively in the 70s.

I haven't read "Doom Let Loose" so I can't comment on it, but I'd say Mick Wall's Sabbath book probably fits best what you are after...and it is full of wrong information and some obvious pettiness from the author.
    I've only followed these guys since the late 80s but there's stuff in there I know is wrong.

Iommi's book is a fluff piece and very very cautious of saying anything about the Osbournes (the meal ticket) and is also full of wrong information that even a lightweight fan could spot.

Ozzy's book is hilarious but he barely talks about the music and making it, and contains a more than modest amount of blatant lies on the subject (because they hate Bob Daisley and try to remove and omit him and other key contributors from the Ozzy story)

Bob Daisley's book "For Facts Sake" is the ultimate book on Ozzy's classic era- much to the Osbournes/nutswingers chargrin.
    It covers (in detail) the writing and recording of Blizzard, Diary, Bark At The Moon and to a lesser extent every Ozzy studio album up to Ozzmosis.
    Bob was Ozzy's lyricist during this time, and studio bass player too (he didn't play on The Ultimate Sin).
    It is chock full of rare and previously unseen photos and original lyric sheets etc.
    It also covers Bob's time in Sabbath (bass and lyrics on "The eternal Idol") as well as his time in Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Mungo Jerry and heaps of other bands.

Bob kept a diary all those years so it isn't as vague and incorrect as other books.
    It's very funny to contrast Ozzy's book against Bob's, because Bob's is full of photographic evidence and truth and Ozzy's is full of...well, shit basically-when it comes to the music/business side of it anyway.

Have you read it yet OID?
    Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 11-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Have you read it yet OID?
    I have not read it yet Wheels, but thanks for the reminder.

Wheels I was just searching for the book on Barnes and Noble, which doesn't even have it, and Amazon and eBay are asking for a ridiculous amount of money, the lowest I could find is in the $60 range and as high as $130, crazy will keep looking though.

NOTE:
    I was just able to get a new copy on Amazon, Hardcover for $39.00 being sold by Bob himself, unbelievable how everyone else has skyrocketed the price, they are going used for $120 softcover edition, at least I got it.

Thanks again for the reminder Wheels.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 11-29-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Good man OID, I promise you won't regret spending that $39.
    I bought mine off Bob's website too.
    You'll be blown away by the Blizzard of Ozz content in there
    Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 11-29-2019 at 06:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheels Of Confusion For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (11-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Good man OID, I promise you won't regret spending that $39.
    I bought mine off Bob's website too.
    You'll be blown away by the Blizzard of Ozz content in there
    Just got my book today Wheels, that was pretty quick, I’ll probably find some time to start reading this Christmas holiday.

You’re a good man too Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Doom Let Loose was pretty good, probably the best one I've read yet.
    I like the look of this one, although it’s quite pricey. Will keep my eye on eBay and see if I can get a good price! Thanks for the tip!

Popoff's Doom Let Loose has a lot of historical information mostly through quotes from interviews, as does the Garry Sharpe-Young book Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, but they aren't totally current (up to 2005 or so). Popoff's FAQ Sabbath book also has good information. My book is thorough through 2017 with the various line-up changes, but it's not a gossip piece, so it doesn't get too deep in the drama, but rather focuses on the music itself by framing with what is happening with the band in society in general. It was painstakingly researched, but if certain things weren't verifiable (perhaps some of the "dishing the dirt" you might be looking for) I either omitted it or absolved myself by saying something like "according to Mick Wall. . ." You can get it on Amazon, and you can browse on google books to search for certain info you may want: https://www.amazon.com/Experiencing-.../dp/1442256915