Banned

Default Ronnie Heavy Metal Years Ultimate Playlist.

Since Joe did his on the site (Check it out if you haven't yet, it a bloody great read! http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/11...retrospective/) I got really inspired and did the same....

Here's what I came up with:

Unlike Joe I'll be skipping the pre-Rainbow era since frankly I'm not too big of a fan of Elf and I don't own anything before that anyways...

This is not so much a playlist as it is about choosing some of my all time favourite songs...This could easily be a stupid "let's include every single song" type of a list because let's face it, Ronnie really didn't have all that many bad songs on his career, so some sort of restrictions are needed here...So I'll limit the ammount of tracks selected to max of 4 per album.

I'll also include a short description as to why I chose the song I chose.

So this goes out to Ronnie....
    And drum roll...and here we go!

Ritchie Blackmore's RAINBOW

1. The Man On The Silver Mountain
    The riff of this song is so iconic, as are the lyrics that there is absolutely no way I could leave it out....This also was the very first Rainbow song I ever heard and was instantly in love with the band.

2. Catch The Rainbow
    One of the few truly fantastic rock ballads. But this one really came alive when it was played and added the faster bit heavier instrumental middle section. The absolute best version of this song can be found on the Rainbow On Stage live album...The lyrics and the wailing guitar make this one a true classic

3. The Temple Of The King

Another slower number, the riff and the vocal melody are both absolutely suberb. I was always really gutted that this one was never played live in it's entirety...well actually Ritchie did do this with his Blacmore's Night band, but Ronnie never sang the whole version live. This song was actually featured on an old English text book I had in high school and our English teacher though the singer was Ritchie Blackmore so natrually I had to correct him on the spot.

4. Sixteenth Century Greensleeves
    Without a doubt my second favourite Rainbow song of all time and one of the greatest songs ever written. Another fantastic riff with brilliant medival inspired lyrics. I have this one as a ringtone on my phone...it's that awesome!

Rainbow RISING

1. Tarot Woman
    A rather lengthy keyboard intro that leads to a galloping riff by Ritchie. Ronnie's vocal delivery here is nothing short of amazing..another forgotten track which wasn't preformed live until on the Lock Up The Wolves Tour and only then just a part of it was played...Ronnie finally did the whole song as an opener on the brilliant Holy Diver Live Tour in 2005.

2. Starstruck
    Ritchie really was on riff fire during this album. This is about I suppose something that lot of rock band dealt with at the time, groupies who were sometimes bit too eager. Sadly this one neither was ever played live in it's entirety, just a part of during the Man On The Silver Mountain medley.

3. Stargazer
    This song is to me THE GREATEST SONG EVER WRITTEN. There is no other way to say it. There are gazzillion awesome tracks out there, but this one just takes the cake and eats it. The riff, the incredible drumming by the master Cozy Powell, the out of this world lyrics make this song a true one of a kind masterpiece. This also has the longest lyrics of any song Ronnie has ever written. This song tells a story in a very compelling way. This song hits the nail on the head with everything, the music, the lyrics, the overall vibe...this is just pure perfection.

4. A Light In The Black
    Another monster of a song, not in the same league as the previous one, but still a great epic song. Another set of amazing lyrics by Ronnie. This has a very long instrumental middle section which is nothing short of amazing...Although I can understand why that would also turn some people off...but I'm a sucker for instrumental parts.

Long Live ROCK 'n ROLL

1. Long Live Rock 'n Roll
    One of THE most iconic metal anthems of all time. An instantly recognizeable riff and great drumming again from Cozy and stellar (yet simple) lyrics from Ronnie. You just HAVE to love this song or you don't like metal/rock music.

2. LA Connection
    Another bit forgotten gem from the Rainbow catalogue. Great lyrics once again (which now have bit of a new meaning since Ronnie's not with us anymore) and musically sound, although bit different than other rockers from Rainbow.

3. Gates Of Babylon
    Another absolutely fantastic epic of ancient days...suberb lyrics and a riff that makes most other riffs shiver and shake. This one starts with a lengthy keyboard solo which sets the middle eastern feel perfectly, as does Ritchie's soloing. You can almost imagine walking in ancient Babylonia. This one also features a string section which Rainbow had never done before. This also was never done live by the band...Ronnie brought this into the set on the Master Of The Moon Pre-Tour in summer of 2004!

4. Kill The King
    The fast rocker. This one was featured in live sets long before the album...it was their concert opener since 1976. Ronnie didn't do this one live untill 2006, which was pretty strange to me...so something of a forgotten classic as well. Great fast galloping riffing and suberb vocals by Ronnie.

HEAVEN AND HELL

1. Neon Knights
    A Song that can only be described as the Paranoid of the DIO era. Exept this one is much more versatile and has much more stuff going on, but it became something of a signature song of the era. A great opener, fast and furious. This was the last song to be done for the album. When Geezer came back to the band he felt like the album needs a fast song, so they came up with this...and aren't we all glad they did!

2. Lady Evil
    Now this might be a bit of a shocker choice for some...Lady Evil instead of Children Of The Sea!?!?! But yes. I like it more. The bass intro the wah pedal work of Tony are just too suberb to pass...also the lyrics are suberb to say the least. This should have been a staple on live sets.

3. Heaven And Hell
    One of THE greatest songs ever written. A heavy metal anthem that everyone should not only know, but LOVE! I think that pretty much sums it up.

4. Lonely Is The Word
    This is probably the most personally important song for me ever. This pretty much tells the story of my life. "I've been higher that stardust, I've been seen upon the stars, I used to count in millions then, now I only count in one"...I used to be happy and have friends (or people to hang out with) now I only have myself...alone in a cold world where Lonely is the word. This song moves me everytime. It touches my soul...deeply. Tony's guitar work here is so stellar that I might even say this is his finest soloing...ever.

THE MOB RULES

1.Voodoo

One of Tony's grooviest riffs ever. This is again one of those songs that truly came alive in a live setting, with some additional jamming and soloing and brilliant adlibbing from Ronnie. The lyrics were done by Ronnie and Geezer together...Ronnie used to say that this was something that Geezer brought back with him on his many travels...

2. The Sign Of The Southern Cross
    The riff the riff the riff...This is one hell of an epic song. The longest track Sabbath did with Ronnie and it just flows so perfectly. Brilliant bass work by Geezer. This one actually has the BEST BASS LINE EVER in any song. The lyrics are very open to interpretation, which was Ronnie's style.

3. Country Girl
    This was a bit tricky choice since The Mob Rules would have been the obvious choice since it is THE GREATEST concert opener ever, but Country Girl just works on the album better...the riff is something out of this world as are the lyrics. Sadly this wasn't done live more than just handful of times in the early stages of The Mob Rules Tour...they did do the first verse as an intro to Neon Knights on The Devil You Know Tour though....but sadly not the whole song.

4. Falling Off The Edge Of The World
    3 different styles in this just 5 minute epic! Something only Black Sabbath can do! The soft intro, the doomy middle and then the song really kick in the high gear! Lyrics are about the state of the world...back then...and right now...and most likely till the world ends...untill we all fall off the edge of the world!

HOLY DIVER

1. Stand Up And Shout
    Another true metal anthem. A great live song...a sure way to wake the crowd up. Fast & furious...a great album opener. Enough said.

2. Holy Diver
    THE SONG. Just like The Man On The Silver Mountain and Heaven And Hell this one has an instantly recognizeable riff that gets stuck in your head from the first time you hear it. There is no way this one could have been left out of the list.

3. Gypsy
    Now this one should make someone go WHAT?!?! again...but yes, I like this one more than Don't Talk To Stranges of Rainbow In The Dark. A fast one with rather different vocal style...I think this is the closest to shotgun vocals Ronnie ever came. A really fun song to listen to.

4. Shame On The Night
    This was an obvious choice. Very much in the same vain musically than the album closers of the two Sabbath albums with Ronnie...slower, bit epical. Great lyrics and a great solo work from Viv.

THE LAST IN LINE

1. We Rock
    Yet another fantastic album opener and a great metal anthem. This became DIO's encore song and a crowd favourite pretty fast and I can fully understand why.

2. I Speed At Night
    Now I can see some of your jaws dropping again "He didn't pick The Last In Line!?!?!" No He did not. Actually as all DIO's title tracks go that one has to be one my least favourites so I'll be skipping it and include I Speed At Night instead...which again is closer to my heart. I love the night time myself and eventhough I do not have a motorcycle I can still relate to this song.

3. One Night In The City
    Brilliant little drum intro on this one. Also I like the bit different love story feel to this one (which was something Ronnie liked to write about). A nice little epic, with very good lyrics.

4. Egypt (The Chains Are On)
    Yet another stellar album closer! A true epic once again. This time from the ancient Egypt the land of the pharaoes, slaves and sand. Lyrics and music are both simply just out of this world...This might very well be THE BEST song from the band DIO ever.

SACRED HEART

1. King Of Rock 'n Roll
    Obviously. Great rock anthem again and a fast and furious opener...this was actually written about Ronnie's greatest rival at the time Ozzy Osbourne. A really good concert opener as well..This wasn't done all that often but on few tours Ronnie pulled this one out, in the late 90s and again in the 2004 tour.

2. Sacred Heart

This one has the epic feel to it again...and as title tracks go this is one of the best ones. Actually this is one of my least favourite DIO albums, but the this song is pure gold. When it was preformed live back in 1985/6 it was morphed into an over 10 minute monster.

3. Rock 'n Roll Children
    Another bit twisted love story from Ronnie. A very special song...since aren't we all nothing but Rock 'n Roll Children!

4. Just Another Day
    A fast rocker. It was actually a bit of a toss between this and Another Lie, both good tracks and stand clearly above all the other songs that I haven't mentioned here. The lyrics make this one stand out bit more than Another Lie.

DREAM EVIL

1. Night People

This actually started off as a jam song from the Rainbow days. A bit different opener, but great non the less...cool lyrics and fantastic guitar playing from the BEST DIO guitarist ever mr. Craig Goldy!

2. Dream Evil
    Probably my second favourite DIO title track after Holy Diver. The riff is suberb as are the lyrics. A pure classic in virtually every way.

3. Sunset Superman

One of my all time favourite DIO tunes. The riff is simple yet incredibly powerful. The lyrics are also very interesting and this clearly was a very important song for Ronnie since it was the most often played song from the album on his live sets.

4. Overlove.

THE GREATEST GUITAR INTRO EVER! That pretty much sums it up. Seriously. I've never heard anything that even comes close to this. This alone proves what an amazing guitar player Craig Goldy truly is.

LOCK UP THE WOLVES

1. Wild One

Then we're on my least favourite DIO album...this was a bit of a mish mash for me...Rowan Robertson was very young at the time and clearly talented, but perhaps not quite talented enough for a band of DIO's stature.
    However this one has some great tracks too...and (surprise surprise) the album opener is one of the best ones! A really fast and furious one...Ronnie tries some new vocals technics here and they don't really work, but regardless this is a brilliant song.

2. Hey Angel

This is brobably my least favourite of the 4 but still miles above anything else on the album and the lyrics save this one.

3. Lock Up The Wolves

The longest DIO track ever clocking over 9 (!!) minutes. It does have a long "clock" intro though which could have been shortened a bit as far as I'm concerned. But this is a very doomy song. And has without a doubt the best guitar work of Robertson as well.

4. Evil On Queen Street

The lyrics bring this song into the classic list. Also musically it is very strong.
    But this album clearly does suffer from lack of musical talent...part from Simon Wright who does an amazing job...and became the second main DIO drummer after he rejoined the band in 1998 after Vinny went to play with Black Sabbath because Bill Ward had a heart attack and was unable to preform.

DEHUMANIZER

1. Computer God
    This is the toughest group of 4 out of all albums, since this was, not only the first Black Sabbath album or the first Ronnie album for me, but the first ever heavy metal album as well. I fell instantly love with the music and vocals from the very first song which was the monsterful Computer God!
    A very super doomy song with great lyrics and a fantastic slow part in the middle. One of the best Sabbath songs ever.

2. After All (The Dead)
    This song has the SECOND greatest guitar intro ever made! Actually it is so great that even the game designer John Romero wanted to use it as a song for one of the levels on DOOM II but for some reason wasn't allowed to so he just pretty much copied it and it baceme The Demon Is Dead for the level Refuelling Base. The second greatest piece of game music ever (after the Hell March of Red Alert)...but I digress...the song is another ultra doomy one with stellar lyrics about death. I suppose Ronnie now knows exactly what comes After All...

3. TV Crimes
    I know you might think I'm just going from start to finish on this album, but the first 3 songs are just incredible. The lyrics on this one are probably among the best ever by Ronnie. This is about a group of really evil people TV Evangelists, who are only out there to get rich by any means necessary! The guitar work, the bass line and the superb drumming by Vinny all make this song one of the best fast rockers in the history of Sabbath.

4. I
    The ultimate ego boost song. This is about each and everyone..about the individual...Also the shortest song title ever I'd imagine.
    Another fantastic guitar intro by Tony and some suberb lyrics by Ronnie. Not at all a surprise that this became a live favourite especially after the band got back together again in 2007.

STRANGE HIGHWAYS

1. Jesus, Mary & The Holy Ghost

Yet again a stellar album opener. This also introduced Tracy G. His guitar playing style was very very different from any of his predecessors and a lot of people hated him because of that, but I always liked his style as well...it needs bit more to get into but once you do it works well. This song again has some great religious undertones in it's lyrics and musically this one is really strong too.

2. Strange Highways
    Another title track jackpot for Ronnie. A very simple doomy riff that really shows the uniqueness of Tracy G. Lyrically this one is very strong as well, although not the easiest to comprehend.

3. Evilution
    This is my absolute favourite from the album! The music, the lyrics, this is a pretty much complete package. Fast yet doomy. Lyrically this is about goverment...very poignant I'd say.

4. Here's To You
    Actually just picking 4 songs from this album was just as tough as from Dehumanizer since this actually is one of my favourite DIO albums. I love the darker, doomy feel...but there is one anthem like song on it as well and that is Here's To You. A fast and furious song that's clearly dedicated to the fans. Gotta love it.

ANGRY MACHINES

1. Institutional Man
    A lot of people say that this is the worst DIO album, but I strongly disagree. I like it quite a bit actually. It's not quite as dark and it's predecessor was but it is still among the darkest of DIO albums. And it's starts with not a fast rocker but a more of an epical song, which is actually one of my favourites eventhough it might not be the best opener in the history.

2. Black
    Now this is a fast one and this should have been the opener. A great short track with a rather catchy riff.

3. Hunter Of The Heart

The BEST track of the album, hands down. A fantastic song. The bass intro alone is pure gold.

4. This Is Your Life
    It was very difficult again to choose only 4 songs from the album and end up leaving songs like Double Monday and Golden Rules (both which are amazing track) out. But this is one of a kind in all of Ronnie's catalogue. It's just Ronnie and Scott Warren with piano. The only pure heart felt ballad Ronnie has ever done. This grew into a whole new meaning and popularity after Ronnie passed away.

MAGICA

1. Fever Dreams
    My absolute favourite DIO album of all time! Now it will be truly hard to choose only 4 songs. But them are the "rules".
    Fever Dreams has a monster of a riff. Actually a fellow I used to know who wasn't really a metal fan at all absolutely loved this song...so much I had to burn this song onto a cd for him! Fantastic song with fantastic lyrics

2. Eriel
    The guitar solo in the end alone puts this song on the list. This is a bit on the softer side of the songs but it still has that something special that only Ronnie could give. A magical song.

3. Challis
    Another absolutely stellar riff. This is my absolute favourite from the album! Sadly this one wasn't preformed live after the Magica tour...I'm sure this could have become a crowd favourite! Gotta love the lyrics too.

4. Losing My Insanity
    The guitar intro again...my god how great it is. Craig Goldy really has an amazing talent of writing brilliantly odd guitar intros! Also lyrically this is suberb and lots of fun.
    As I said it was really hard to choose only 4 songs...it's like making out which fingers you could live without.

KILLING THE DRAGON

1. Killing The Dragon
    Another jackpot on both categories, album opener and title track.
    I still say Doug Aldridge wasn't the best possible fit for DIO with his more 80s style of playing, but damn this is still a suberb album.

2. Better In The Dark
    My absolute favourite from the album. Suberb song, and the bass line in the middle is pure gold. Sadly this one was never preformed live...it should have...oh yes.

3. Rock 'n Roll
    This was written shortly after the horrible 9/11 attacks. A very dark times in a lot of poeple...and what do some radio stations do? They ban rock and metal music...how damn stupid is that!??! In hard times I've found that the best thing to help you get by is music...it shouldn't be banned and Ronnie found it as absurd as I and wrote this simply entitled song about it.
    Strong and very powerful song.

4. Throw Away Children
    Another very powerful song. This was written as a charity song for the Children Of The Night foundation where both Ronnie and Wendy were active members. A great but touching message in this song. Makes you think.

MASTER OF THE MOON

1. One More For The Road
    Another hit as openers go. Pure gold. This isn't what you first think it's about ...actually this is about the witch trails. A very interesting song with brilliant lyrics.

2. The End Of The World
    How could I not list a song entitled The End Of The World? Seriously...an amazing title. Lyrically very strong and thought provoking as well.

3. Shivers
    A faster, bit more groovier song. The lyrics are bit intentionally cheesy which makes it even more special. Some great guitar work by Craig here again!

4. The Eyes
    The epic song of the album...the funky keyboard sounds in this one really makes it stand out. Scott clearly had some fun doing this one! The riff is also very strong and heavy. Lyrically this is about paranoia, about fearing that there are constantly people out there watching me.

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

1. Fear
    This album was a real wet dream come true for me, who always thought this line up of Black Sabbath was/is THE BEST so this album has a very special place in my heart since I never ever would have thought we'd have another album from these masters.
    Fear is one of my absolute favourites, the riff is suberb and the lyrics a so brilliant.

2. Bible Black
    This song pretty much sums up everything Black Sabbath is and was and will ever be. The soft acoustical intro is almost surreal to hear on a Sabbath album (and yes this IS a Sabbath album) and the lyrics are incredible, something only Ronnie can do.

3. Rock 'n Roll Angel

The change of tempos on this one is what makes this very special. This is very unique song in the whole of Sabbath catalogue which makes it truly stand out. Also this has some very strong (although bit odd) lyrics.

4. Follow The Tears
    Another song that truly speaks to me personally. This is about loneliness and that is something I truly know a lot about. So lyrically this is very close to my heart and it touches me greatly everytime I listen to it.
    Also musically this has to be one of the heaviest songs Sabbath has ever done! A true DOOM FEST this one!
    Yet again I find myself wanting to add a song after song on the list but only 4...damn only 4 allowed! So I can't mention songs like Neverwhere or Breaking Into Heaven...damn it!

Then I'll put on a couple of other songs here (4 actually) that Ronnie has done over the years with various people

1. Stars
    This was the classic Hear 'n Aid song...a fantastic song with a huuuuge list of members...including Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Don Dokken, Yngwie Malmsteen, Brad Gillis, Vivian Campbell, Craig Goldy (That's right the current and future DIO guitarrist on the same track!!!), Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Ted Nugent and Tommy Aldridge...just to name a few.
    A great touching song with some tremendious talent.

2. The Devil Cried
    One of the 3 new songs done for the compilation BLACK SABBATH - The DIO Years. And as far as I'm concerned the best one. Not that the other ones weren't great either, but this one just stands above the others...mainly due to the suberb riff and great lyrics.

3. Electra
    The last ever released (and perhaps even recorded) DIO song which was supposed to be on the Magica II album that Ronnie was supposed to release in 2010, but sadly cancer had other plans and we were robbed what might have very well have been Ronnie's magnum opus.

4. Metal Will Never Die

And this song was the last ever vocal preformance of Ronnie James Dio..The master. The legend.
    I keep on pondering did he already knew the time he recorded this that he would never get the chance to do anything else again...a truly sad though and it gives this song a really special meaning. This was done for the Rods album Bitten By The Beast...written by Ronnie's Cousin and old band mate from Elves David Rock Feinstein.
    But as the song says...no matter what Metal Will Never Die and legend of metal will never die...they always live on in our hearts and minds and souls.

And so I conclude this ultimate Ronnie James Dio "play list"...

Ofcourse I could have added the few covers Ronnie did as well (he didn't do many but he did do some including Dream On, Welcome To My Nightmare and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen) but I thought that wouldn't quite fit the overall theme here...

Feel free to comment and feel free to make out lists of your own as well! I'm always happily reading people's song lists.

Long Live Rock 'n Roll
    Long Live Ronnie James Dio

The master, the legend, the icon, the hero...man like no other.

Charger, had no choice but to reply here after reading your thread...its great!!

JOE'S piece on dio in the news section is over the top awesome!! and then u follow up with such a well thought out piece, kudos!!

my interest lies with sabbath yet i own and enjoy DIO'S entire career of "as good as it gets song writing!"

i had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Ronnie on a handfull of occasions... one nite late when he was at WDHA radio in nj, we happen tobe there and he came out to the parking lot with Tracy G, and just stayed and talked the 5 of us for abt an hour, he is the definition of CLASS!! and hands down one of the greatest singers any genre to walk this planet!!

we talked Jesus, yes Jesus.... iommi, lots on dehumanizer and we also talked strange highways... my favorite NON-SABBATH dio cd , tied with blackmores rainbow...

and thats where i will start: non sab: streetwalker, man on a silver mountain, invisible, give her the gun, but a song i just love to hear him do is by purple MISTREATED!!! what a voice!!

SABBATH: DIO ERA SABBATH IS SO ESSENTIAL TO THE GREATNESS AND LEGACY OF THIS BANDS HISTORY!! EVERY SONG ON ALL 5 CDS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!!!!!!

1 LONELY IS THE WORD- simply the best!!
    2 OVER N OVER- my goodness!!
    (off live at hammersmith dio is unreal on war pigs! off live evil dio does the best version of nib these ears have ever heard!)
    3 BURIED ALIVE- MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE DIO ERA SAB SONG OF ALL TIME!!!! AND MY NUMBER 3 FAVORITE SABBATH SONG EVER!!
    4 DEVIL CRIED- love all 3, but this tune is just so great!!
    5 BIBLE BLACK- tobe honest tdyk cd is the hardest one for me to pick a favorite from... wow what a great SABBATH cd!!!

i love bad blood, the next time, and i spy - consider them all sabbath, but i must say GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN is one of my top 25 sabbath songs of all time, I JUST LOOOOOOVE IT!!!!

God bless

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Charger, had no choice but to reply here after reading your thread...its great!!

JOE'S piece on dio in the news section is over the top awesome!! and then u follow up with such a well thought out piece, kudos!!

my interest lies with sabbath yet i own and enjoy DIO'S entire career of "as good as it gets song writing!"

i had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Ronnie on a handfull of occasions... one nite late when he was at WDHA radio in nj, we happen tobe there and he came out to the parking lot with Tracy G, and just stayed and talked the 5 of us for abt an hour, he is the definition of CLASS!! and hands down one of the greatest singers any genre to walk this planet!!

we talked Jesus, yes Jesus.... iommi, lots on dehumanizer and we also talked strange highways... my favorite NON-SABBATH dio cd , tied with blackmores rainbow...

and thats where i will start: non sab: streetwalker, man on a silver mountain, invisible, give her the gun, but a song i just love to hear him do is by purple MISTREATED!!! what a voice!!

SABBATH: DIO ERA SABBATH IS SO ESSENTIAL TO THE GREATNESS AND LEGACY OF THIS BANDS HISTORY!! EVERY SONG ON ALL 5 CDS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!!!!!!

1 LONELY IS THE WORD- simply the best!!
    2 OVER N OVER- my goodness!!
    (off live at hammersmith dio is unreal on war pigs! off live evil dio does the best version of nib these ears have ever heard!)
    3 BURIED ALIVE- MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE DIO ERA SAB SONG OF ALL TIME!!!! AND MY NUMBER 3 FAVORITE SABBATH SONG EVER!!
    4 DEVIL CRIED- love all 3, but this tune is just so great!!
    5 BIBLE BLACK- tobe honest tdyk cd is the hardest one for me to pick a favorite from... wow what a great SABBATH cd!!!

i love bad blood, the next time, and i spy - consider them all sabbath, but i must say GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN is one of my top 25 sabbath songs of all time, I JUST LOOOOOOVE IT!!!!

God bless
    Yes Ronnie James Dio was a legend in his own time, and now that he has passed on over to the other side, he is a bigger legend even.

Ronnie was a true gentleman, respectful and mannerful, he conducted himself well.

God bless him and his family.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

RONNIE JAMES DIO. Even writing his name here elevates me. Knowing his music, owning the multitude of his albums, remembering the shows I saw and heard, recalling all the joy he brought into my life...all this makes me happy and proud, beyond any words I could write here.

For the last 9 years I've listened to different music almost exclusively along certain themes and eras which I've been scheming and planning over. Recently, my way of listening to any music, band or album, has been strongly guided by a strange inner drive, "my blood has drawn" me towards a certain musical experience - I haven't had to make any choices as to what I listen next, the music itself has made the decision for me. Magic!

The 4th anniversary of Dio's passing is drawing near. Last weekend I experienced a strong urge to make a special Dio-esque setlist. The idea of honouring the three letters of DIO by choosing three songs from each of his albums just dawned on me without any planning. So I had to choose three great songs from each of the albums, by the "command" of this idea. I also had to choose a few beloved bonus tracks * just because I love them. I had to omit the songs from the album "Angry Machines" because it's still missing from my collection. As it turned out, completely without any planning, the setlist now consists of a total of 67 songs, appropriately in the honour of Dio.

DIO - three letters, three great songs from each of the albums from the years 1972-2009...

1. Elf - First Avenue (4:24)
    2. Elf - Dixie Lee Junction (5:11)
    3. Elf - Love Me Like A Woman (3:49)
    4. Elf - L.A. 59 (4:21)
    5. Elf - Ain't It All Amusing (5:01)
    6. Elf - Rainbow (4:00)
    7. Elf - Prentice Wood (4:37)
    8. Elf - Good Time Music (4:30)
    9. Elf - Wonderworld (5:03)
    10. Rainbow - Man On The Silver Mountain (4:41)
    11. Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow (6:31)
    12. Rainbow - The Temple Of The King (4:45)
    13. Rainbow - Tarot Woman (6:04)
    14. Rainbow - Starstruck (4:08)
    15. Rainbow - Stargazer (8:32)
    16. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (4:24)
    17. Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon (6:51)
    18. Rainbow - Kill The King (4:30)
    19. Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea (Deluxe Edition 2010) (5:34)
    20. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell (Deluxe Edition 2010) (6:58)
    21. Black Sabbath - Lonely Is The Word (Deluxe Edition 2010) (5:50)
    22. Dio - Kerry Livgren - To Live For The King (4:55) *
    23. Black Sabbath - The Sign Of The Southern Cross (Deluxe Edition 2010) (7:47)
    24. Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (Deluxe Edition 2010) (3:16)
    25. Black Sabbath - Falling Off The Edge Of The World (Deluxe Edition 2010) (5:03)
    26. Dio - Holy Diver (Universal 2012) (5:50)
    27. Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers (Universal 2012) (4:51)
    28. Dio - Shame On The Night (Universal 2012) (5:16)
    29. Dio - We Rock (Universal 2012) (4:34)
    30. Dio - The Last In Line (Universal 2012) (5:43)
    31. Dio - Egypt (The Chains Are On) (Universal 2012) (6:57)
    32. Dio - King Of Rock And Roll (Universal 2012) (3:41)
    33. Dio - Sacred Heart (Universal 2012) (6:26)
    34. Dio - Rock 'N' Roll Children (Universal 2012) (4:31)
    35. Dio - Time To Burn *
    36. Dio - Hear 'n' Aid - We're Stars (7:17) *
    37. Dio - Night People (4:08)
    38. Dio - All The Fools Sailed Away (7:14)
    39. Dio - I Could Have Been A Dreamer (4:47)
    40. Dio - Lock Up The Wolves (8:32)
    41. Dio - Why Are They Watching Me (5:04)
    42. Dio - My Eyes (6:36)
    43. Black Sabbath - Computer God (Deluxe Edition 2011) (6:15)
    44. Black Sabbath - After All (The Dead) (Deluxe Edition 2011) (5:41)
    45. Black Sabbath - I (Deluxe Edition 2011) (5:13)
    46. Dio - Strange Highways (6:54)
    47. Dio - Hollywood Black (5:09)
    48. Dio - Pain (4:13)
    49. Dio - Malmsteen - Dream On (4:28) *
    50. Dio - Lord Of The Last Day (4:04)
    51. Dio - Fever Dreams (4:37)
    52. Dio - As Long As It's Not About Love (6:04)
    53. Dio - Killing The Dragon (4:25)
    54. Dio - Push (4:08)
    55. Dio - Throw Away Children (5:35)
    56. Dio - Welcome To My Nightmare (5:14) *
    57. Dio - Master Of The Moon (4:19)
    58. Dio - The Man Who Would Be King (4:58)
    59. Dio - The Eyes (6:27)
    60. Eddie Ojeda - Tonight (featuring Ronnie James Dio) (3:26) *
    61. Black Sabbath - The Devil Cried (6:01)
    62. Black Sabbath - Shadow Of The Wind (5:40)
    63. Black Sabbath - Ear In The Wall (4:04)
    64. Dio - Electra (5:57) *
    65. Heaven & Hell - Bible Black (6:26)
    66. Heaven & Hell - Rock And Roll Angel (6:02)
    67. Heaven & Hell - Follow The Tears (6:09)

I've been going through this mammoth set since this Monday, 4 more songs to go...

RONNIE JAMES DIO
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

I will always keep Ronnie's memory alive by playing his music.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)