Default True Norwegian Black Metal

Can anyone recomend a good Norwegian Black Metal band and an album from that band, true Norwegian Black Metal?

The only Black Metal I've listened to is stuff from my era, like Mercyful Fate and Venom, I'd appreciate the help, thank you in advance.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Soria Moria, Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Check out this thread:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...ciation-thread

As for my own taste, Darkthrone (from Blaze In The Northern Sky to Sardonic Wrath it's pure BM, later albums have more Punk and "Black n' Roll"-influences, but still great.) and early Mayhem (Deathcrush, the demo's and live-recordings with Dead (Live In Leipzig and Dawn Of The Black Hearts) and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas are their best, but their latest, Ordo Ad Chao is pretty good too) was the best.

My personal favorite is Darkthrone - Ravishing Grimness.

Newer bands, which isn't pure BM, i'll recommend Shining (Blackjazz) or if you're into the more (good) "poppy" stuff; Kvelertak (BM, Hard Rock, Rock N' Roll, Hardcore Punk.)

Other appreciated bands would be Enslaved, Emperor, Khold or Windir, which is a bit too epic/symphonic/"viking"-sounding for my taste.

But stay the hell away from pop-bands like Satyricon and Dimmu Borgir...

That moron Kristian Vikernes was spot on when it came to the sound, but it don't matter how good it sounds if the music is rubbish.
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 12-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friðar ok forn siðr

Varg Vikernes/Burzum is amazing, don't listen to Billy. Check out Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

I’ve read the book Lords Of Chaos years ago, it was a good read I enjoyed it very much, and now there’s a movie out about it, which I plan on seeing it.

I’ve also been watching documentaries about Black Metal and find the whole thing intriguing and sick at the same time, these people’s views are extreme and demented, I’m talking about the days of Euronymous and the Count and Faust and so on.

The only Black Metal I like is King Diamond if that’s even Black Metal, Mercyful Fate and Venom, which I don’t listen to anymore really, because of the blasphemous lyrics, but the other stuff I heard like Mayhem is just noise to me the guy Dead who killed himself, how can you even call that singing? I just can’t get into it.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I’ve read the book Lords Of Chaos years ago, it was a good read I enjoyed it very much, and now there’s a movie out about it, which I plan on seeing it.

I’ve also been watching documentaries about Black Metal and find the whole thing intriguing and sick at the same time, these people’s views are extreme and demented, I’m talking about the days of Euronymous and the Count and Faust and so on.

The only Black Metal I like is King Diamond if that’s even Black Metal, Mercyful Fate and Venom, which I don’t listen to anymore really, because of the blasphemous lyrics, but the other stuff I heard like Mayhem is just noise to me the guy Dead who killed himself, how can you even call that singing? I just can’t get into it.
    I'm big into black metal but I am picky about lyrical content. A band can shriek about anything "evil" they like but I won't listen to any BM that specifically targets a people or particular religion. You can rage against God and talk about demons and Satan all you like but don't use names like Jehovah, Jesus, etc...or just naming Christianity or Hindu or whatever. Keep your religious bigotry and politics out of the music. Rage against all religions and all gods and the whole world but don't be specific. I'm not an atheist but someone screaming about hating God in general or what not doesn't phase me. I don't mind nationalistic pride either as long as it isn't done to denigrate other peoples. A band like Drudkh for example .

The thing is Black Metal is supposed to be the most extreme, darkest music and anything that is extreme and dark is fair game for the genre. I own over 3,000 CDs and I'd say I have about 350 Black Metal cds. I'd have tons more if not for the lyrical issues mentioned above.

As far as Norwegians I don't think you could go wrong with Immortal and Taake.

Quote Originally Posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    I'm big into black metal but I am picky about lyrical content. A band can shriek about anything "evil" they like but I won't listen to any BM that specifically targets a people or particular religion. You can rage against God and talk about demons and Satan all you like but don't use names like Jehovah, Jesus, etc...or just naming Christianity or Hindu or whatever. Keep your religious bigotry and politics out of the music. Rage against all religions and all gods and the whole world but don't be specific. I'm not an atheist but someone screaming about hating God in general or what not doesn't phase me. I don't mind nationalistic pride either as long as it isn't done to denigrate other peoples. A band like Drudkh for example .

The thing is Black Metal is supposed to be the most extreme, darkest music and anything that is extreme and dark is fair game for the genre. I own over 3,000 CDs and I'd say I have about 350 Black Metal cds. I'd have tons more if not for the lyrical issues mentioned above.

As far as Norwegians I don't think you could go wrong with Immortal and Taake.
    Hey DL good to see you back, my favorite Black Metal band is Mercyful Fate and I don’t even listen to them anymore because of the lyrics, all the other stuff just sounds like noise to me.

I tried listening to the classic stuff like Bathory and Mayhem and I couldn’t stand it.

Here's some of my favourite black metal-albums from the norwegian scene. All of them are great and well worth checking out!

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
    Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
    Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

Mayhem - Deathcrush (EP)
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
    Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Gorgoroth - Under The Sign Of Hell
    Gorgoroth - Instinctus Bestialis

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
    Burzum - Det Som Engang Var

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
    Satyricon - The Age Of Nero

I was watching a documentary yesterday titled Light In Darkness, about Christian Black Metal also known as Unblack Metal, how can this be?

I was watching a documentary yesterday titled Light In Darkness, about Christian Black Metal also known as Unblack Metal, how can this be?
    Christian black metal is a contradiction in and of itself. Such a genre can't exist.

My favorite Black Metal band is Mercyful Fate and I don’t even listen to them anymore because of the lyrics
    Hate to break it to you, but Mercyful Fate is not, have never been nor will they ever be black metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but Mercyful Fate is not, have never been nor will they ever be black metal.
    Don’t hate to break it to me Ala, I’m learning new things all the time!

I always read they were the first wave of Black Metal along with Venom who coined the term with their Black Metal album and Báthory.

What would they be then, Mercyful Fate that is?

Hey DL good to see you back, my favorite Black Metal band is Mercyful Fate and I don’t even listen to them anymore because of the lyrics, all the other stuff just sounds like noise to me.

I tried listening to the classic stuff like Bathory and Mayhem and I couldn’t stand it.
    And I understand that. I can't even adequately explain why I got so heavily into BM. I like Death Metal far far less. Oddly the chaos and escapism (and atmosphere) is actually soothing to me when I listen to it. I thought it was ludicrous at first and I guess it still is. Do I like it because it's just so extreme? That's not my personality. To me it's just like watching a horror or occult movie. Spooky fiction I don't take seriously. Overall the audience for this stuff is small so I wouldn't be perplexed if I were you by you not liking it. It's much easier to "sing" like a BM vocalist than to sing like Ozzy or Dio. Most BM vocalists are indistinguishable from each other. Ozzy is Ozzy and you know it's Ozzy when you hear Ozzy. Same could be said of King Diamond (although I hate his voice). Yes BM is is silly stuff. An acquired taste if ever here was one. And like you I am discerning when it comes to lyrics.

Christian black metal is a contradiction in and of itself. Such a genre can't exist.
    In theory and fundamentally that is true BUT BM became a very technical style so one can play BM an sing about something other than satan, anti-Christianity, etc..

Granted I cannot listen to a Christian BM band praising Jesus through Black metal BUT some Christian BM sing about Armageddon or angels crushing satan and his demons in war. That works. That said I still find it hard to listen to these bands. I have a few cds (Antestor, Winterdemons, A Hill To Die Upon and Hortor) but since I don't take the "evil" BM serious (it's just so damn silly when you get down to it) and am entertained by the evil fiction of it (like a spooky movie) I just don't get the same enjoyment or escapism from Christian-themed BM. I'll take Southern Black Gospel singing about Christ for that. Soulful.

Musically they are straight Heavy Metal but lyrically they can be considered BM but to me a band must both sound like BM and have the BM lyrics to really be actual BM. But who cares? Metal heads are the biggest snobs, elitists, purists of any music genre.

And Venom was the first band to call themselves a black metal band but they are really a thrash metal band.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 03-15-2019 at 02:03 PM.

That’s what I thought and said when I heard of Christian Black Metal, an oxymoron.
    And I understand that. I can't even adequately explain why I got so heavily into BM. I like Death Metal far far less. Oddly the chaos and escapism (and atmosphere) is actually soothing to me when I listen to it. I thought it was ludicrous at first and I guess it still is. Do I like it because it's just so extreme? That's not my personality. To me it's just like watching a horror or occult movie. Spooky fiction I don't take seriously. Overall the audience for this stuff is small so I wouldn't be perplexed if I were you by you not liking it. It's much easier to "sing" like a BM vocalist than to sing like Ozzy or Dio. Most BM vocalists are indistinguishable from each other. Ozzy is Ozzy and you know it's Ozzy when you hear Ozzy. Same could be said of King Diamond (although I hate his voice). Yes BM is is silly stuff. An acquired taste if ever here was one. And like you I am discerning when it comes to lyrics.
    You are right and I agree with you DL, regarding the singing, It’s not my thing I guess and I just don’t get all the genre thing I love Metal and Hard Rock and that’s all the names I know, but Black Metal I know I don’t like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    And Venom was the first band to call themselves a black metal band but they are really a trash metal band.
    VENOM METAL!!!!! Not chick Metal!!!!!

Don’t hate to break it to me Ala, I’m learning new things all the time!

I always read they were the first wave of Black Metal along with Venom who coined the term with their Black Metal album and Báthory.

As should we all be

I would agree that Mercyful Fate helped inspire the first wave of black metal due to their lyrical themes and overall dark imagery. But the music is straight up heavy metal.

In theory and fundamentally that is true BUT BM became a very technical style so one can play BM an sing about something other than satan, anti-Christianity, etc..

Granted I cannot listen to a Christian BM band praising Jesus through Black metal BUT some Christian BM sing about Armageddon or angels crushing satan and his demons in war. That works. That said I still find it hard to listen to these bands. I have a few cds (Antestor, Winterdemons, A Hill To Die Upon and Hortor) but since I don't take the "evil" BM serious (it's just so damn silly when you get down to it) and am entertained by the evil fiction of it (like a spooky movie) I just don't get the same enjoyment or escapism from Christian-themed BM. I'll take Southern Black Gospel singing about Christ for that. Soulful.
    Yeah, I agree that black metal has evolved into being more a style of metal and not necessarily contingent on the lyrical themes. I mean, just look at the american bands like Wolves In The Throne Room. But christian black metal? Even if they play the style of music we label as black metal it just contradicts itself. I understand that there are bands like this, but I'll never accept it.

Yeah, I agree that black metal has evolved into being more a style of metal and not necessarily contingent on the lyrical themes. I mean, just look at the american bands like Wolves In The Throne Room. But christian black metal? Even if they play the style of music we label as black metal it just contradicts itself. I understand that there are bands like this, but I'll never accept it.
    I really can’t accept it either, I mean it just doesn’t make sense and even if they are singing about God in a good way, the music itself just doesn’t grab me, if I can’t understand what someone is saying or sing along with it, it’s not for me.

Thank you all for weighing in on this.

I prefer Thrash Metal. I can´t stand the so called growl singing in black and death metal.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 03-15-2019 at 02:02 PM.

I prefer Trash Metal. I can´t stand the so called growl singing in black and death metal.
    I’m with you K, I can’t stand it either, how do I know what they’re singing about if I can’t understand them.
    I’m not knocking that type of music or people who like it, it’s just not my bag.

I prefer Trash Metal. I can´t stand the so called growl singing in black and death metal.
    *Thrash Metal

I’m with you K, I can’t stand it either, how do I know what they’re singing about if I can’t understand them.
    I’m not knocking that type of music or people who like it, it’s just not my bag.
    It's not my bag either.The instrumental part can be pretty good sometimes,but the growling just ruins it for me.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 03-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.

It's not my bag either.The instrumental part can be pretty good sometimes,but the growling just ruins it for me.
    K, you’re my pal!