Page 1 of 108 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default New Album Called "13"

New Album called "13". I've also gotten word that the album is "13" not "Thirteen".

Due June 2013

New Drummer is Brad Wilk.

Discuss.

(Yes, I know a few threads have been posted already, but I want to consolidate discussions in one place.)

----

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND (January 13, 2013)–Today, the 13th of January 2013, rock legends BLACK SABBATH have announced the title of their new album, 13, which will be released this June (exact date TBA). The original BLACK SABBATH–OZZY OSBOURNE (vocals), TONY IOMMI (guitar) and GEEZER BUTLER (bass)–have recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles and were joined at the sessions by drummer Brad Wilk (Rage Against The Machine). Produced by Rick Rubin (seven-time Grammy winner, two of those as Producer of the Year), the album will be released on Vertigo (worldwide) and Vertigo/Republic in the U.S. 13 marks the Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees’ return to Vertigo, the band’s original label; it’s the group’s first studio album together since 1978’s Never Say Die! They have sold over 70 million albums together.
    In advance of the album’s release, BLACK SABBATH will head to New Zealand, Australia and Japan for live performances (see below for tour dates). Additional tour plans will be revealed in the coming months.
    BLACK SABBATH’s initial tour dates are as follows:

DATE CITY VENUE
    Sat 4/20 Auckland, New Zealand Vector Arena
    Mon 4/22 Auckland, New Zealand Vector Arena
    Thu 4/25 Brisbane, Australia Entertainment Centre
    Sat 4/27 Sydney, Australia All Phones Arena
    Mon 4/29 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
    Wed 5/1 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
    Sat 5/4 Perth, Australia Perth Arena
    Sun 5/12 Tokyo, Japan Ozzfest – Makuhari Messe
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 01-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Can't wait. I actually like the title. I'm eager to hear how they sound together after all these years.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Cool ! its upon us finally! I'd say its an innocuous title. Thinking about it, seems to me it would be a bit juvenile for men in their early to mid 60's to name their album something on par with a Death Metal band. So I don't hate the title. Rick Rubin is said to have played the band their first album, and proposed to the guys "Suppose you just recorded this album, what do you do next?" Well didn't they already do that? Is it safe to guess Rubin never listened to Paranoid? Or is this meant in some way that Paranoid and everything that came after should be ignored? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an old school sound; but Rubin did the same thing with Metallica 6 years ago and the results were songs like Day That Never Comes, which really did sound like an exercise in self parody. I'll keep an open mind, and I give Iommi much more credit for being able to think constructively then James Hetfield, and implement new riffs that might be obvious who they come from vs.the other Sabbath song it sounds a lot like. If its at least as good as The Devil You Know I will go ape shit in June.

Also VERY VERY glad Clufetos is out. Brad Wilk has great feel and can really hit a heavy groove. I'm a fair weather Rage Against The Machine fan due to the Rappish vocals and Gimmicky guitar playing but Ive always liked their drummer.
    Last edited by devstorm; 01-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Fuck,its going to be so good!! 13 a great title! Fucking can't wait when they come to NZ

Can't wait to hear what the new album 35 years in the making will sound like, I know it will an awesome one just like all the eight albums released with Ozzy were and still are.

God bless Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Bill, and God bless Black Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I'm keeping my hopes in check. Why? Ozzy's voice. It's been shot for awhile and the heavy vocal tricks/layering/processing may be okay for his solo albums but will not fit a Sabbath album... so I'm leaving plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised.

I think I can fap to this hehe
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Look on the bright side. At least it isn't "Black Sabbath vol. 9".
    Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
    No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
    I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
    I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Great news! I wasn't that excited about the title at first, but thinking about it (13 being unlucky and a bad omen and all) it really works. I've never paid that much attention to Brad Wilk's drumming so I'm listening to RATM and Audioslave to form an opinion.

From Walsall, near Birmingham, UK. Now live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I think there's gonna be something relevant in the title. I'm not sure it's as simple as just plain old '13'. There's something else in it. As has been said already, it's '13' and not 'Thirteen'. Released on the 13th in the year of 13. What next? 13 songs? Is there something in the 'one (1)' and the 'three (3)'? I'm guessing it's not just a red herring.

Brad Wilk? Sounds like one of those fake products that try to knock off the real one by having a similar name like Adibas or Naik, in the way these guys are ripping of black sabbath, BRING BILL BACK!
    Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

Hmmmm. Well he does have the same initials as Bill. They've swapped a BW for a BW.

In fact, if his name had been BRAD WILL, it would have been an anagram of BILL WARD.

Glad to finally see an official announcement. The album was originally announced for April, but I hope they play at least one new song on their tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconosphere View Post
    I think there's gonna be something relevant in the title. I'm not sure it's as simple as just plain old '13'. There's something else in it. As has been said already, it's '13' and not 'Thirteen'. Released on the 13th in the year of 13. What next? 13 songs? Is there something in the 'one (1)' and the 'three (3)'? I'm guessing it's not just a red herring.
    Its been said before that the album will be 13 songs indeed (15 songs recorded , the studio album to be 13 and 2 bonus tracks to apparently appear on other album editions) , I'm fine with the album title , it's not their most original but it could certainly have a much deeper meaning when we have an over look on the album theme and song titles , I just hope the album artwork will be something a bit more special ! also notice that Brad is mentioned as a session drummer and which could basically mean that Tommy might be the one to keep touring with the band live ! my guess is that they don't want to tag anyone as a permanent member to keep that 'original line up' tag as intact as possible !

Too bad the album will be released in June though ! I guess it might be for marketing reasons , I believe they will probably be hitting the U.S by the time it gets released and heavily promote it by touring rather than releasing it a couple of months earlier and tour the U.S later in June ! I believe a single will be released sometime in between to keep the anticipation as high as possible ...

I really would want to have a look at the new album art, too

Quote Originally Posted by Die Young View Post
    Brad Wilk? Sounds like one of those fake products that try to knock off the real one by having a similar name like Adibas or Naik, in the way these guys are ripping of black sabbath, BRING BILL BACK!
    Oh for fuck's sake... Give it a rest already!

Banned

I don't mind the title but am a little surprised they went with 13 as its not very original & it was only 2 years ago Megadeth had an album called Th1rt3en. Maybe there's more in the title

Don't know enough about Brad Wilk to really comment on his abilities, but I trust they've picked the right guy. Do we know if he's going to be the touring drummer as well?

Hope they preview some new songs on the upcoming Australian tour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Sab View Post
    The album was originally announced for April, but I hope they play at least one new song on their tour.
    Me too. Part of the appeal of these upcoming concerts for me (aside from obvious reasons) was hearing the band finally play some new songs for the first time in decades.

I'm seeing them on April 20th. I hope they at least have a new single out by then.

Its been after so long feels great to be back on this forum. Got to know that the new album is titled 13. I am really not sure of it really. They could have chosen something better. I guess Megadeth's last album was also thirteen.

As far as the drummer is concerned I am not sure whether he is good or bad. But the real question is that will he be touring with Sabbath? I feel they should get someone better than Tommy from Ozzy's band.

Banned

The title is a serious dissapointment.

Seriously 13?? What the fuck? I mean Megadeth just released an album called 13 and they had a pretty damn good reason to call it that (since it was their 13th record) but just to name an album 13 because it's released in 2013 has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. This can not be Geezer's doing considering the great album titles he's come up with in the past (Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know)...

I've already said what I thought about this Brad Wilk guy....the band's he's played with are absolutely horrible..totally unlistenable stuff for me... For the life of me I just cannot understand why they didn't use Kenny Aronoff...

I have a feeling that this was just the first in a line of dissapointments regarding this album...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    New Album called "13". I've also gotten word that the album is "13" not "Thirteen".

Due June 2013

New Drummer is Brad Wilk.

Discuss.

(Yes, I know a few threads have been posted already, but I want to consolidate discussions in one place.)
    I hope your consolidation lasts, so that there will be no more new threads about the new album, separate (sub)threads for the revealed tracklist, the cover artwork, different editions, and so on...

As there has been much bad fortune for Black Sabbath, I hope the title "13" now becomes our new lucky number! I think it's a great title, 13th of January, 2013, maybe 13 tracks on it, and a perfect reminder of the release date of their first album too.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

I am anxious to hear this record. Saw the press release yesterday and it put a big smile on my face. I am even more excited at the fact they will be touring. 2013 is going to be a great year for music!
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post

Seriously 13?? What the fuck? I mean Megadeth just released an album called 13 and they had a pretty damn good reason to call it that (since it was their 13th record) but just to name an album 13 because it's released in 2013 has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. This can not be Geezer's doing considering the great album titles he's come up with in the past (Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know)...

I've already said what I thought about this Brad Wilk guy....the band's he's played with are absolutely horrible..totally unlistenable stuff for me... For the life of me I just cannot understand why they didn't use Kenny Aronoff...

I have a feeling that this was just the first in a line of dissapointments regarding this album...
    I totally agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm
    Thinking about it, seems to me it would be a bit juvenile for men in their early to mid 60's to name their album something on par with a Death Metal band.
    You're sure right about that. In 2005 death metal band Six Feet Under released an album called "13" (with digits) including a track named the same name. Them, Megadeth, and now... Sabbath? I'm disappointed. Ultimately the music is what matters, but 13 is the tritest title they've conjured up to date and I cannot think of a good reason for associating themselves with acts such Six Feet Under. Perhaps Ozzy's gonna growl on the album too? I'd prefer Ice-T over that to be honest.

Too much negativity going on in here for my liking.
    So on that note, I am going to post a link to do with an album they released 30 years ago this year.
    This is the building they recorded it in >>>> http://goo.gl/maps/yqYlq

As you were.

The album title is fine. It isn't like Paranoid is the most original title either. Let the tracks speak for themselves. Do you really think Sabbath concern themselves what Six Feet Under and Megadeth are calling their albums? If for some reason this title fit for the three of them the fact the title has been used wasn't going to stop them. Again, this would be the 13th album if you include all of Ozzy and Dio's releases. I think their is some significance their.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

13? Really? They might as well call it Poop Salad! [/sarcasm]

Not the most original title I agree, and the song title "God is Dead" is also not terribly original. If these titles are an indication of uninspired, bland music to follow however, then we should all break the crystal ball and follow the sign of the southern cross [/dadaist hyperbole] Bring on the music!

I've gone out of my way to listen to some of Brad Wilk's soloing and his versatility behind that kit isn't very well demonstrated with Rage or Audioslave. That man has more groove than quite a lot of drummers I thought they could've put behind that kit ... he even has more groove than present-day Ward. And for me to say that, says a lot, because Ward is one of my heroes (and influence that started me on drumming).

Wilk will be great.

"13" is just as good an album name as any, really. Don't know why everyone is making a big deal ... it's merely a label meant to label and nothing more. Something distinctive to remember and differentiate it from other albums from the same band. (Although I will say that I like its meaning based on Icon's thoughts ... and I agree with him, although it could be that we're looking too into things, too ... whatever )
    Last edited by Ryan Porter; 01-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Black Sabbath - 13... I can't quite decide if it's worse than Technical Ecstasy or at the same low level, it isn't good at least that I can tell you :D Anyway, I still have a feeling that the music might just be better than a lot of us expect it to be. And then there's of course some statistics showing it shouldn't be (Ozzy's solo albums, questionable drummer). I guess I can't help feeling a bit optimistic about this...
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Too much negativity going on in here for my liking.
    So on that note, I am going to post a link to do with an album they released 30 years ago this year.
    This is the building they recorded it in >>>> http://goo.gl/maps/yqYlq

As you were.
    Actually I find all this negativity kind of ironic when I think of the name '13' , the general vibe and attitude here really sort of gives the name some credibility on their own ! , I have zero doubts this album would be a total killer and probably one of their very best records , I also believe that the biggest surprise on the album will be the quality melody lines and Ozzy's finest vocals performance since God know when ! I'm not saying its going to be as good as the early days , but I'm sure it will be raw , dry and much more human than how sounds on his solo records for last 20 years or so ! no auto tune and coloring vocals shit on this one , Ozzy voice might not hold on lengthy tours these days but I hope Ozzy will prove me wrong and deliver on this new record !

What a downer,man. Why not keep an open mind,listen to the shit when it comes out then rant and rave if you don't like it. Guess the glass is half empty,eh?

1 missing, 3 remain

My thoughts? New drummer, no Bill. I guess it's time to move on and see how the album fairs then.
    Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer-
    Bit disappointed at the title, not original at all. Megadeth released "Thirt3en" in 2011.
    Sentiments exactly...
    Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

I've already got the conspiracy theory...its to delete 7th Star and the TM albums from history. Born Again was the 11th album, and then counting 7th Star - Tyr as Iommi solo Dehumanizer is the 12th studio album. It backs up an old Oz statement about his and Dio's eras being the only legit ones. Thus we have "13" studio albums
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Speaking of boring album titles, wouldn't Volume 4 be the most boring one?
    Last edited by LouiST; 01-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.

^Doesn't count on the fact the original album name was supposed to be Snowblind. If anything though, I would much prefer Volume 9 over 13. But alas, another album after The Devil You Know. It's a good thing that there is a new album now.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Holy shit I honest to God guessed the album title months ago! I'll take that as a good sign!

13 comes up a lot in my life, I've been thinking about getting it as a tattoo.
    "Too many people advising me, but they don't know what my eyes see." ~ The Writ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Webster View Post
    13 comes up a lot in my life, I've been thinking about getting it as a tattoo.
    Cool. You now have another reason to get it

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

the album titles don't matter too much these days but im glad they chose a simple title and not something that tries to sound evil.

Gotta agree with Icono, the negativity bummer here for the most part is about as meaningful as a cheap bag of Mexican brown weed.

So I'll be a bit more glass 1/2 filled guy with what we do know.

First and most important is the music end of it.

Brad Wilk is a good, solid drummer. While not asked to display a lot of flash in RATM behind Zach and Morello, his playing was very propulsive behind that band.
    And while he got to stretch out a bit more in Audioslave, again, between the 2 bands, they primarily played a lot of upbeat, faster numbers, which I think should bode well for the new album.
    The thing that I haven't seen from Wilk is a sense of swing/groove like Ward had, but again, within the context of RATM/Audioslave, there wasn't alot of swing/grooving, going on.

13 tracks on the album. Since this seems to be a single disk cd (maybe a double vinyl), it appears that we are going to get an instrumental prelude or two, thats part of the Sabbath dna that we all like so much.

Name of the album- while its great to have a cool name on the album, album titles as have been noted, aren't much of a Sabbath strength.
    In fact I thought their last album, TDYK, was clever and among the best they've ever had, despite the fact I was less than impressed with the artwork.
    But again, thats part of the Sabbath legacy, imo.

Well to wrap this up, I'm excited we're getting new music from Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony.
    Happy for Brad Wilk to be in the chair, and really looking forward to hearing what he has to say about being asked, and in the same room with the fellas, creating this new music.

Tony's fought off cancer, they've got tour dates coming up in a couple months with more promised, and a new album due out in less than 6 months.
    Its a good time to be a Sabbath fan, imo.