Page 81 of 108 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,240 of 4291

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Jeff, in all seriousness, please don't let this volume issue, that you perceive, ruin this experience for you. The world has changed and sometimes we have to roll with it out of necessity. You will only be depriving yourself of a magical memory if you don't just try and feel the magic of this release. Let it touch you on a primal level. There is much good in "13" and everyone deserves to soak it in. It could well be the last.
    I'm not certain if you're reading my posts attentively, but I am absolutely floored with this album and intend to enjoy every drop of it.

That this should somehow mean I won't wish it had some more dynamics and wasn't digitally squashed with compression (if the CD turns out to be like this - we don't know for certain yet) is just not logic I can follow.

I love reading all these positive reviews of the new sabbath. Im really excited. 2 years ago when people questoned whether Tony and Geezer still had it i had no doubt they could still do it. I just wasnt sure about Ozzy and Bill. I have not heard the new album yet. I can wait a few days till it actually comes out.

I gave in and had a listen. I am on EOTB right now and it is giving me goosebumps all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I'm not certain if you're reading my posts attentively, but I am absolutely floored with this album and intend to enjoy every drop of it.

That this should somehow mean I won't wish it had some more dynamics and wasn't digitally squashed with compression (if the CD turns out to be like this - we don't know for certain yet) is just not logic I can follow.
    Rick brought out metallica's back to roots(ish) sound and he's done the same with sabbath!, I can put up with "loudness" if he can achieve that from my fav band!
    In rick we trust!

Edit - congrats to brad too!!!!!, big boots to fill they were but you've done a smashing job!!, well done sir!
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

I cant' wait... When I get home from vacation Sunday My Deluxe Box will be waiting on me there!!!! Imma hold off and listen then. In the meantime I am enjoying everyones reviews of the album. All sounds pretty positive. Keep'em coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    Rick brought out metallica's back to roots(ish) sound and he's done the same with sabbath!, I can put up with "loudness" if he can achieve that from my fav band!
    In rick we trust!
    So if Rick does something well then all things he does are perfect? What a fine lad he must be. "Godlike" even.

Dokay ...

I don't know much about Metallica, but wasn't Death Magnetic one of the most lambasted albums of the past few years because of horrible, compressed sound with no punch or dynamics? Iirc, the story about how bad it sounded even went mainstream with an article in the Wall Street Journal discussing how upset many of their fans were.

In rick we trust!

Edit - congrats to brad too!!!!!, big boots to fill they were but you've done a smashing job!!, well done sir!

Totally agree with ya, brad wilk deserves some applause!

So if Rick does something well then all things he does are perfect? What a fine lad he must be. "Godlike" even.

Dokay ...

I don't know much about Metallica, but wasn't Death Magnetic one of the most lambasted albums of the past few years because of horrible, compressed sound with no punch or dynamics? Iirc, the story about how bad it sounded even went mainstream with an article in the Wall Street Journal discussing how upset many of their fans were.
    I dunno jeff pal, I'm in too much of a good mood to argue!
    I can only go on what my ears like and they like the sound of 13 VERY MUCH!

Edit - I'm not saying rick is godlike, but he's a sabbath fan like all of us on here!, and we all know that without the right guidance this album may of turned out to be a disaster!
    Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 06-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    I was just messing with you. I'm not deaf and I'm on the internet right now. I've dissected TDYK plenty over the years and I was never a fan of the sound. That's just what makes you and I different people. I enjoy it and that's really all I care about.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Yes, it is loud.
    Just my 2 cent on the album production :

1.To my ears it's not loud at all ( or to rephrase not over produced or compressed).

2.If you watched Sabbath live in 2013 NZ/Australia or Japan , this is EXACTLY how they sound live , I mean the whole sound and individual instruments , the production is VERY faithful to how the sound now , yes its loud , but this sort of loudness was and will always be part of Sabbath's sound and entity (I saw them 6 times this year so far so I have pretty good idea on what I'm talking about).

3.Rick and his teams added a lot of beautiful sound/production coloring on that live sound and which I really love so far !

4.Overall , this is easily one of my all time favorite Sabbath albums in terms of production , definitely one of the top 10.
    Last edited by IRON-MaN; 06-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.

I dunno jeff pal, I'm in too much of a good mood to argue!
    I can only go on what my ears like and they like the sound of 13 VERY MUCH!
    I love it, too.

I'm just a bit confused by the attitude of some here that enjoying this album somehow means people can't have any comments about the production lest they be told to "just enjoy it."

That's ... well ... a bit weird, IMO.

But I'm also in a great mood about this album and think it is absolutely brilliant in so many ways ...

Attention joe!- what's your thoughts on new album pls?
    go to the home page and click on the link.

I love it, too.

I'm just a bit confused by the attitude of some here that enjoying this album somehow means people can't have any comments about the production lest they be told to "just enjoy it."

That's ... well ... a bit weird, IMO.

But I'm also in a great mood about this album and think it is absolutely brilliant in so many ways ...

That's the whole point in a forum bud , even I know rick ballsed up on the death magnetic album lol!. Production wise.

All the best my sab bro.

Edit-cheers under the sun! Will have a look soon.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-MaN View Post
    1.To my ears it's not loud at all ( or to rephrase not over produced or compressed).
    I think until I have the CD in my hands, I can't really comment on this with any absolute authority, but all this comment means is that you don't understand what people are talking about. The "loudness" mainly impacts the drums. Listen to Bill Ward on Paranoid or Sabotage, the way the drums just BOOM, bash, POP, SLAM, snap, slap, THRASH ...

Wilk's drumming is great here, but it has none of that slam and punch because it's all mastered so hot. Some refer to this sonic phenomenon as "wimpy loud" sound. When the whole signal is compressed like this it just takes all the peaks and valleys out of music.

Again, *I LOVE THIS ALBUM* and no matter how it was mastered, I will enjoy it. I'm just trying to add a bit of perspective to what it is people are talking about with this. For those who don't hear it, congrats. But I don't see anyone who does hear it telling you that you should care about this "loudness" factor, so maybe it's unreasonable for people to be told they shouldn't?

Banned

Well still haven't listened since I haven't gotten the album yet...no word of it being sent either...

Anyways just to weigh in on the whole loudness thing...it is annoying and it does bring an album down in many ways. Sure most of it has to do with the songs themselves, but if they sound "bad" it does make a difference no matter how good the music actually is.

Ever since I heard Rubin was producing this I was very much afraid of the loudness thing...but just base it on a stream is bit premature in my book...wait until you actually hear the album....I will.

I'm already loving this album. I won't talk too much about it until I give it a fair amount of replays, but I'm not too sure about production. The sound is definitely squashed, to my chagrin.

I agree with Jeff, it has been brickwalled and it is very audible. It isn't just loudness, it's compression. Nowhere near as bad as it was on Death Magnetic (Guitar Hero saved that album) but it is somewhat fatiguing.

I'm just trying to add a bit of perspective to what it is people are talking about with this. For those who don't hear it, congrats. But I don't see anyone who does hear it telling you that you should care about this "loudness" factor, so maybe it's unreasonable for people to be told they shouldn't?
    Well, to be fair, you did accuse people of being deaf and/or unable to use the internet. Nonetheless, if people can't hear it, then it doesn't matter. It's a difference in preference. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me. To be honest, I prefer it in this case. They were essentially founded on the principle that louder is better and in this context, it works for me.

Anyways, whatever. It's loud, it isn't loud. We're all enjoying the content and that's the most important part.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

I think until I have the CD in my hands, I can't really comment on this with any absolute authority, but all this comment means is that you don't understand what people are talking about. The "loudness" mainly impacts the drums. Listen to Bill Ward on Paranoid or Sabotage, the way the drums just BOOM, bash, POP, SLAM, snap, slap, THRASH ...

Wilk's drumming is great here, but it has none of that slam and punch because it's all mastered so hot. Some refer to this sonic phenomenon as "wimpy loud" sound. When the whole signal is compressed like this it just takes all the peaks and valleys out of music.

Again, *I LOVE THIS ALBUM* and no matter how it was mastered, I will enjoy it. I'm just trying to add a bit of perspective to what it is people are talking about with this. For those who don't hear it, congrats. But I don't see anyone who does hear it telling you that you should care about this "loudness" factor, so maybe it's unreasonable for people to be told they shouldn't?
    Well I haven't went through all the posts to be honest , I understand how the production and compression could kill the dynamics on the songs and album , yes those 'light and shades' parts are more apparent on the older records , but again this is a very sophisticated issue to discuss , cause its not only how the recording process is drastically different to those old records , but also the equipment and instruments used as well ! again Sabbath sounds exactly live as they do on '13' , I agree sometimes the dynamics suffers against all the loudness going around , but again , this is not 'Death Magnetic' where you literally can't stand hearing the songs because of the compression and very poor dynamics , there is a thin line which I believe Sabbath haven't crossed yet ! and I agree , we can't really judge till we get the best sound quality from the physical CD !

The streamed audio is heavily compressed but there are still dynamics and overall it sounds great. I do wish the drums had more headroom though, but they still sound great.

I have done a comparison with God is Dead which might give a bit of hope as far as the loudness/compression worries go. I bought the "God is Dead" mp3 and simply comparing the I Tunes stream with the mp3 I have noticed that the stream doesn't have the same degree of warmth. Basically the streamed audio is good but I am confident the actual mp3 downloads and the cd will sound better, which they should really. Can't wait to hear the vinyl though!
    Andreaus

The sound / loudness whining is annoying. .. Before 11-11-11 we all would have shat ourselves for anything from Mk1 Sabbath, but now it's wahhh, wahhh, wahhh, my ears hurt. Turn down the volume.
    Thank you.

The album is receiving a lot of negative criticism on metal hammers facebook calling it a forgettable album and monotonous! bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by joebrice1992 View Post
    The album is receiving a lot of negative criticism on metal hammers facebook calling it a forgettable album and monotonous! bastards!
    Fuck em!, let them go bum a generic metal band instead!
    Or let this forum and theirs have a charity boxing match!

Dear father(chorus) reminds me of another song but I can't recall which one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaus View Post
    The streamed audio is heavily compressed but there are still dynamics and overall it sounds great. I do wish the drums had more headroom though, but they still sound great.

I have done a comparison with God is Dead which might give a bit of hope as far as the loudness/compression worries go. I bought the "God is Dead" mp3 and simply comparing the I Tunes stream with the mp3 I have noticed that the stream doesn't have the same degree of warmth. Basically the streamed audio is good but I am confident the actual mp3 downloads and the cd will sound better, which they should really. Can't wait to hear the vinyl though!
    It's pretty common for earlier releases of songs to be more dynamic than the actual CD release. The stream is likely using the final mix and I don't predict much difference with the actual CD.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo9286 View Post
    Also, just got word from the MyPlayStore that my Super Deluxe Box Set pre-order has shipped!
    My super deluxe box set shipped today as well, still waiting for Best Buy to send me a notice that my Best Buy Exclusive was shipped.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Really like "dear father" ending
    meaning that they are done
    the last song of the last album ends exactly as the first song of the first album

fuckin perfect

Quote Originally Posted by joebrice1992 View Post
    Standard internet fair. It's rare to see positive discussion in quick blurbs via social media. Scroll through ANY YouTube video's comment section and try not to bang your head off a wall. I'll wait to see what people think via Amazon. Generally, people take some time and think those out. It's easier to grasp what the general public thinks through there.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

If 13 ends up being Sabbath's swansong then they are going out in style.

I've grown tired of this "debate," other than to say that I think to you, the mere mention or discussion of excessive digital compression constitutes "preoccupation." It's an issue for many. You'll have to live with it. As regards your odd assumption that it impacts the younger generation, I think the opposite is true. The "audiophile" labels like MFSL, Audio Fidelity and so forth seem to cater almost exclusively to fans of 60s/70s music. And I suspect that the majority of their customers are over 40.

Either you're kidding or this says it all.

Anyway, you can have a final word if you wish. I love this album and don't want to "debate" this topic any longer, but I feel strongly that people have every right to comment on the production. That they shouldn't strikes me as an odd request.
    There's only one choice Jeff, you'll have to live with it... the worlds not perfect in case you haven't noticed. Enjoy it, it may be another 35 yrs before we hear a sequel, maybe they'll have this compression thing figured out by then...

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Jeff, in all seriousness, please don't let this volume issue, that you perceive, ruin this experience for you. The world has changed and sometimes we have to roll with it out of necessity. You will only be depriving yourself of a magical memory if you don't just try and feel the magic of this release. Let it touch you on a primal level. There is much good in "13" and everyone deserves to soak it in. It could well be the last.
    Words of wisdom from a wise man...

Just think, we've only heard HALF of the Recordings for 13!!! I can't wait to put everything together & do my own sequence!! Gimmie them other 8 tracks!! Another Album's worth!!

Not that I want to start any further arguments on the 'Loudness' issue but if/when Mike X pops in he will be the best person to answer this question.

Until then I think we should leave it well alone and carry on listening to Sabbath.

I nearly gave in to temptation last night and nearly streamed the album, two notes in to EOTB and I turned it off........2 sleeps to go and I have my copy in my hand and on my phone

Just to give an idea to everybody what Jeff and others are talking about here: Take a look at this picture . This is the intro of "End of the Beginning" - a 320 kbps mp3 version of it. As you can see inside the red circles, the sound waves look like they have been cut off; they are clearly clipping and much of the dynamics are inevitably lost. If the song hadn't been mastered so loud, those straight looking lines inside the circles would have looked more like smooth hills, but that all that sound data was lost in the mixing. How does this translate into music? Well, the "BOOMS, bashes, POPS, SLAMS, snaps, slaps, and THRASHES are partly replaced by distortion and not as loud and clear as they could have been, that is all. It is not the end of the world and it frankly doesn't bother me that much. But still, the song, and the drums in particular, would have sounded better if the instruments hadn't been brought up on such a high volume.
    Last edited by UnderTheSun; 06-04-2013 at 07:45 PM.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

I think the point about compression, in this thread, goes to the fact that the topic has been raised by a couple people, and heard by the rest of us. The vast majority don't care, and don't want to be forced to care about something that doesn't bother or affect them. The people with compression concerns are in the minority, even if they are right. The rest of us are just trying to enjoy the album, and the moment, and don't care to hear about it anymore. It's not that people can't express their opinion, but stop forcing it on everyone else who doesn't share the concern. In turn, we won't try and force you to like the album. I, for one, want to enjoy this moment, and savor it, because I have waited 35 years for it. That is far too long to allow others to drag the experience down, based on something that only affects a few listeners here. I always speak honestly, and I would tell you if I thought the album is crap. It is not crap, and we should all try to celebrate the good in it.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-04-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

I think the point about compression, in this thread, goes to the fact that the topic has been raised by a couple people, and heard by the rest of us. The vast majority don't care, and don't want to be forced to care about something that doesn't bother or affect them. The people with compression concerns are in the minority, even if they are right. The rest of us are just trying to enjoy the album, and the moment, and don't care to hear about it anymore. It's not that people can't express their opinion, but stop forcing it on everyone else who doesn't share the concern. In turn, we won't try and force you to like the album. I, for one, want to enjoy this moment, and savor it, because I have waited 35 years for it. That is far too long to allow others to drag the experience down, based on something that only affects a few listeners here.
    They should start their own thread on the subject, for the 1%ers... ha! Leave the rest of us to enjoying the album...your a wise ol' Owl Wizard...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    They should start their own thread on the subject, for the 1%ers... ha! Leave the rest of us to enjoying the album...your a wise ol' Owl Wizard...
    Thank-you. Right back at you with the wise old....compliment. I like all of these guys, even with their issues, but it's time to move on. The point has been made, to mostly unsympathetic ears.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    Just to give an idea to everybody what Jeff and others are talking about here: Take a look at this picture . This is the intro of "End of the Beginning" - a 320 kbps mp3 version of it. As you can see inside the red circles, the sound waves look like they have been cut off; they are clearly clipping and much of the dynamics are inevitably lost. If the song hadn't been mastered so loud, those straight looking lines inside the circles would have looked more like smooth hills, but that all that sound data was lost in the mixing. How does this translate into music? Well, the "BOOMS, bashes, POPS, SLAMS, snaps, slaps, and THRASHES are partly replaced by distortion and not as loud and clear as they could have been, that is all. It is not the end of the world and it frankly doesn't bother me that much. But still, the song, and the drums in particular, would have sounded better if the instruments hadn't been brought up on such a high volume.
    Thx UTS, I waited 35 yrs for this... just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to point this out, but man I really don't care, the new album sounds great, I love it. 35 yrs in the making we have a Black Sabbath album with the original frontman Ozzy Osbourne, how amazing is that? This album has made me feel like 16 again, an age that I was a full blown metal head, and got excited whenever Ozzy released a new album, now here is Sabbath with an album 35 years in the making, and people complaining about sound and Rick Rubin and Ozzy's singing and so forth.

Let's be grateful and not critical, I know you are just pointing something out, but this is a time to rejoice, Ozzy has found his way back home to Sabbath!!!!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

So I heard the album today.

If you consider that we had to wait 35 years to listen to another "original" Black Sabbath album, it is great. We should be grateful for having another new album and etc.

Now, I know I'm the minority here, but my overall feeling with 13 was... "meh". A couple REALLY good songs, a rubish single and a lot of good songs. If this was released by a new band it would be awesome, but since we are talking about Sabbath, "meh" it is.

I think what made me not to like this album too much is because is just more of the same. It's like a giant version of Psycho Man and Selling my Soul to me (again, not a bad thing). Since I'm a "Tony Martin fan boy" (many have called me that) and a recent Dio enthusiast, I think Sabbath closed itself in the closet, since with the other singers they had explored diferent horizons and brought diferent aspects to the sound.

Anyway, I will listen to it again for sure. It's better than some old Sabbath Albums (Forbidden, Dehumanizer, Cross Purposes, Technical Ecstasy), but I was kind of let down.

Just my 2c.
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

I think the point about compression, in this thread, goes to the fact that the topic has been raised by a couple people, and heard by the rest of us. The vast majority don't care, and don't want to be forced to care about something that doesn't bother or affect them. The people with compression concerns are in the minority, even if they are right. The rest of us are just trying to enjoy the album, and the moment, and don't care to hear about it anymore. It's not that people can't express their opinion, but stop forcing it on everyone else who doesn't share the concern. In turn, we won't try and force you to like the album. I, for one, want to enjoy this moment, and savor it, because I have waited 35 years for it. That is far too long to allow others to drag the experience down, based on something that only affects a few listeners here. I always speak honestly, and I would tell you if I thought the album is crap. It is not crap, and we should all try to celebrate the good in it.
    Well said!

So now we've gone from a few whining about Bill Ward to now it's about sound/compression issues?

Just stop already! Yes, yes- we get it. You're all geniuses and you've figured something out that the rest of us could never do. The album sounds perfect to me. I think those who want to cuss and discuss the sound issues should have their own thread that way they can go on and on in circles with each other and leave the rest of us alone.
    "...live for today, tomorrow never comes..."

LMAO!!! right when you guys thought I was the agitator!

Thank you for taking the time to point this out, but man I really don't care, the new album sounds great, I love it. 35 yrs in the making we have a Black Sabbath album with the original frontman Ozzy Osbourne, how amazing is that? This album has made me feel like 16 again, an age that I was a full blown metal head, and got excited whenever Ozzy released a new album, now here is Sabbath with an album 35 years in the making, and people complaining about sound and Rick Rubin and Ozzy's singing and so forth.

Let's be grateful and not critical, I know you are just pointing something out, but this is a time to rejoice, Ozzy has found his way back home to Sabbath!!!!!!!
    Agreed

Thank-you. Right back at you with the wise old....compliment. I like all of these guys, even with their issues, but it's time to move on. The point has been made, to mostly unsympathetic ears.
    Agreed

I think the point about compression, in this thread, goes to the fact that the topic has been raised by a couple people, and heard by the rest of us. The vast majority don't care, and don't want to be forced to care about something that doesn't bother or affect them. The people with compression concerns are in the minority, even if they are right. The rest of us are just trying to enjoy the album, and the moment, and don't care to hear about it anymore.
    Just think, we've only heard HALF of the Recordings for 13!!! I can't wait to put everything together & do my own sequence!! Gimmie them other 8 tracks!! Another Album's worth!!
    Agreed

If 13 ends up being Sabbath's swansong then they are going out in style.
    Agreed

Really like "dear father" ending
    meaning that they are done
    the last song of the last album ends exactly as the first song of the first album

fuckin perfect
    Agreed

I could go on and on. Hopefully some of you that I've debated on other threads can understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers to what we've all been hoping for....the ultimate recording from three of the greatest artists to ever live

(and a kudos to Brad Wilk for doing something I can't imagine anyone else could've done)
    Last edited by Tha Beast; 06-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Beast View Post
    Agreed

I could go on and on. Hopefully some of you that I've debated on other threads can understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers to what we've all been hoping for....the ultimate recording from three of the greatest artists to ever live

(and a kudos to Brad Wilk for doing something I can't imagine anyone else could've done)
    Dear Father and Zeitgeist are my favorite songs LOL
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987