Default Remembering Ronnie

I decided to honor my favorite musician of all time today by listening through a selection of songs (had to skip most of them due to time restrictions obviously) from all of his career. So far I've gone through:

Love Pains - Ronnie Dio and the Prophets
    10 More Days to Brenda - Ronnie Dio and the Prophets
    Walking in Different Circles - Ronnie Dio and the Prophets
    Amber Velvet - The Elves
    West Virginia - The Elves
    Wakeup Sunshine - The Elves
    Smile for me Lady - The Elves
    Never More - ELF
    Rainbow - ELF
    Do the Same Thing - ELF
    Blanche - ELF
    Wonderworld - ELF
    Self Portrait - Rainbow
    Temple of the King - Rainbow
    Stargazer - Rainbow
    Light in the Black - Rainbow
    Still I'm Sad (live) - Rainbow
    L.A. Connection - Rainbow
    Gates of Babylon - Rainbow
    Wishing Well - Black Sabbath
    Die Young - Black Sabbath
    Falling off the Edge of the World - Black Sabbath
    Over and Over - Black Sabbath

and I'm currently listening to Shame on the Night from the Holy Diver album. I will finish off with Breaking into Heaven sometime this evening, picking at least one song off each album, and probably listening throug the whole Magica album as well.

How do you honor this wonderful musician and person on this day?
    Last edited by Josef_K; 05-16-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

I've mentioned on this forum recently that I was first exposed to Dio thanks to Mob Rules. That was an important album for me and going forward from that point Dio would become a constant voice in my life between Rainbow, Sabbath, and Dio albums. Its times like this that I am particularly grateful for Iommi, Butler, and Dio burying the hatchet and taking their amazing body of work around the world in a way that I'd always wanted them to. I'll admit here, I got a little choked up watching songs like Edge of the World, and particularly Southern Cross, live for the first time; since at one point I thought I'd never get the chance to see those with the original band. In addition seeing him play Stargazer the last time I saw the band DIO live was just as awe inspiring.

Cheers Ronnie! And Thanks for so much amazing music. I have Holy Diver cue'd up on my Media player today as well as Rising, Mob Rules & TDYK. I plan to make it a Dio day at work.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Can't believe three years have gone by. I've been getting re-acquainted with Rainbow-Live in Munich and the 18 minute jam tracks on it. Ronnie's live-only lyrics to Still I'm Sad will be heard today!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Banned

I've been going through a lot of his material today...

It's hard indeed to believe it's been 3 years already...feels almost like yesterday I got the horrible news...

But Ronnie will live on in our hearts and souls forever and as long as we keep his music and memory alive he never really dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Can't believe three years have gone by. I've been getting re-acquainted with Rainbow-Live in Munich and the 18 minute jam tracks on it. Ronnie's live-only lyrics to Still I'm Sad will be heard today!
    I love that version, also listened to it today (but I listened to the Düsseldorf gig which is audio-only on my mp3, I have the Munich gig on DVD as well though). Love that song and how they did it live with the keyboard and drum solos, really five musicians in their prime (well ok, Dio had several "primes" I guess but still).

As for my musical journey, I've just finished "This is Your Life" and will now proceed to the whole "Magica" album. It's been extremely rewarding to do this as I have moved on to focus on other bands it can take months before I revisit some of these albums, listenening to all of them at least partially on one day is probably the way I will be honoring this day in the future as well.
    Last edited by Josef_K; 05-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)

My first album!!!:

Ah, I knew the anniversary of RJD's passing was right around now but it got pushed to the back of my mind with one thing and another, so I only just saw this thread to remind me, but I played "The Dio Years" good and loud at work today anyway! I think it might be time for some more RJD now I'm home.

RIP RJD- I see a rainbow rising...
    Follow mens' eyes, As they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining, Weave the fabric of their dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    I've mentioned on this forum recently that I was first exposed to Dio thanks to Mob Rules. That was an important album for me and going forward from that point Dio would become a constant voice in my life between Rainbow, Sabbath, and Dio albums. Its times like this that I am particularly grateful for Iommi, Butler, and Dio burying the hatchet and taking their amazing body of work around the world in a way that I'd always wanted them to. I'll admit here, I got a little choked up watching songs like Edge of the World, and particularly Southern Cross, live for the first time; since at one point I thought I'd never get the chance to see those with the original band. In addition seeing him play Stargazer the last time I saw the band DIO live was just as awe inspiring.

Cheers Ronnie! And Thanks for so much amazing music. I have Holy Diver cue'd up on my Media player today as well as Rising, Mob Rules & TDYK. I plan to make it a Dio day at work.
    Well said 'devstorm'. I'm incredibly proud and honored to have seen this lineup of Sabbath grace the stage once again in the last three years of Ronnie's life. I firmly believe he concluded his career with the people he wanted to: Tony, Geezer, and Vinny. Ronnie's passing clearly laid to rest perhaps the greatest "Mach II/III" lineup incarnation in the history of popular music. Long live Dio-era Black Sabbath. R.I.P. Ronnie.

Tough to beleive it's been 3 years - I did break out my deluxe editions of the Dio CD's & listened to them today (as well as my other Cd's). RIP Ronnie & thanks for all the great music & shows over the years - you are missed.
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Ronnie James Dio, was a light in the black, he left us too soon, he will always be remembered and live on in our hearts and souls, true legends never die.

R.I.P. brother you are loved and thought of always and forever.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I ended up watching the Radio City DVD with my fiance today to celebrate his life. Still a superb live set, and only makes it worse that he's gone. He still had so much left to do.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. You'll be missed every day.

"God is dead" & much missed.

It's so hard to believe that three years have passed by since the greatest voice ever was silenced.

I'm planning on celebrating the man and his music today by listening to his most classic albums: The three Rainbow discs, H&H, Mob Rules, Holy Diver and The Last In Line. And I'm going to finish it with his final gift to this world, the brilliant The Devil You Know.

This video still drives me on the brink of tearing up. And it's not an easy task to make me tear up, although I am an emotional person.

R.I.P. Ronnie, you are sorely missed
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    It's so hard to believe that three years have passed by since the greatest voice ever was silenced.

I'm planning on celebrating the man and his music today by listening to his most classic albums: The three Rainbow discs, H&H, Mob Rules, Holy Diver and The Last In Line. And I'm going to finish it with his final gift to this world, the brilliant The Devil You Know.

This video still drives me on the brink of tearing up. And it's not an easy task to make me tear up, although I am an emotional person.

Great video there brother, made me all teary eyed as well.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Life is a strange occurrence to say the absolute least. There he is singing on records and videos (amazingly as usual) but he's not really there. Sigh. I guess I take comfort in knowing that he knew the impact he had on so many people. My two musical heroes are gone, Ronnie James Dio and Freddie Mercury and I'm only 43. That bites...hard.

I can't get over how powerful this performance is. The whole band is on fire, but RJD's performance is just mind blowing. The power, the vibrato, the emotion...Live Evil is a prime example of his phrasing and ad libbing abilities. Every performance was a little different from the previous one.

"The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I can't get over how powerful this performance is. The whole band is on fire, but RJD's performance is just mind blowing. The power, the vibrato, the emotion...Live Evil is a prime example of his phrasing and ad libbing abilities. Every performance was a little different from the previous one.

Yeah I completely agree with you, that version of "Voodoo" is really 100% what I mean when I say that a band is "on fire". Dio's ad libbing is not only fitting in melody and timing, but also in the words he uses which are just so right for the song. Sure there's nothing poetic about "there's evil there, somewhere" at all, but he says it in such a way that he really means it, similar to what I was getting at in another thread on Ozzy's ability to pull off the song "Black Sabbath".

As for Children of the Sea, that version was the first one I heard (off the Dio Years album) and I still have some issues listening to the studio version haha :D This one is simply superior in every way, Live Evil could have been a really big record if they had wanted to stay together.

My first album!!!:

In case anyone missed it, Geezer visited RJD's grave on May 16th (from his facebook official page) .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Sadness felled the supernaut....

Four years ago today. I remember hearing the news on 93.3 KDKB while driving. Stunned to say the least. As I write this I'm listening to 'Eddie Trunk Rocks' on Q104.3. 'Man On the Silver Mountain', 'Neon Knights', and 'Stand Up And Shout' are played back-to-back. Gone but NEVER forgotten! Ronnie James Dio: R.I.P. ...
    Last edited by A Sabbath Historian; 05-16-2014 at 10:29 PM.

R.I.P. Ronnie, you are gone only in the physical sense, not in the musica and joy you conveyed, that will always live on forever in our hearts and souls.

You were and always will be the King Of Rock-N-Roll!!!

R.I.P. Ronnie - your music will last forever
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    Yeah I completely agree with you, that version of "Voodoo" is really 100% what I mean when I say that a band is "on fire". Dio's ad libbing is not only fitting in melody and timing, but also in the words he uses which are just so right for the song. Sure there's nothing poetic about "there's evil there, somewhere" at all, but he says it in such a way that he really means it, similar to what I was getting at in another thread on Ozzy's ability to pull off the song "Black Sabbath".

As for Children of the Sea, that version was the first one I heard (off the Dio Years album) and I still have some issues listening to the studio version haha :D This one is simply superior in every way, Live Evil could have been a really big record if they had wanted to stay together.
    Very true! Live Evil, H&H and Mob Rules would have kept on selling had this lineup not broken up so soon. The video would have been released too.

8 years have gone since the Man went back to the Silver Mountain...

This playlist is compiled from 20 releases and shows why Dio will always be one of the greatest titans of rock & metal...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8xoh-VbpiEhVzc

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Of course the day is dedicated to our beloved vocalist and i will make and hear a mix from his Rainbow, Sabbath and solo career days.

Dio is one of my favorite artists and i really like his work. The albums which did with Rainbow and Black Sabbath, belong in my favorite albums of all time. H&H, Mob rules, did the 1-2 punch for me. It is remarkable that the same lineup (except the drummer), gave us two astonishing albums the one after the other and those two albums are splendid.

Both of these albums are full of gems but the most definitive for me which shows the peak of everyone in the band back then, is this: