Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default God is Dead? video premiere

http://www.universal-music.de/black-...70/god-is-dead

A premiere coz it's like a mini movie. A whole 9 minutes of it.

Ideal for conspiracy theory junkies.
    Last edited by Lolzeyes; 06-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.

This might get nominated for an Oscar as a short film.
    Last edited by ZepHead; 06-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Wow, absolutely stunning. I cannot believe how good this video is. Unreal. I theorized, a while back, that the title "13" might be linked to Psalm 13, and this video certainly refers to a Godless, secular, and self-indulgent world that is counting down to the end times; notice how the watch turned to a burning "13"?. A burning "13" appears several times in the video, and fits into theory fairly well.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

From Walsall, near Birmingham, UK. Now live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Here's the reason why they called it '13'.
    http://youtu.be/zFRg3NAGbO8

Great video...really dark. And to your point NID, doesn't it look like a watch in the "1" of the 13 logo on the album cover? Hmmm

Th hell is that
    is it fan made or something
    I didn't like it at all

----------

now, if you are thinking about how to boo at me please stop
    It's just my opinion
    I expected it no less than you

Wow. I generally love artsy stuff with my graphics background, but that was...quite bad. It looked like a high school project. A lot of stock footage randomly thrown about. I see where they were trying to go with it, but yeah...I'll just stick to the song.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

The concept of the video is good , but the result is eh... mediocre. There are many parts that seems over the top, like the scene of the man drinking wine. And the cops look weird.

But comparing this to Bible Black and all the Sabbath's music videos, I'd say God is Dead is quite good.
    Last edited by LouiST; 06-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Actually the best Sabbath video was the fan made one for Bible Black...

See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZEMkJ1SW8

The video is lame...

I was a bit worried when I read it was going to be directed by that Zeitgeist guy, but I was pleasantly surprised. I read the comments in this thread before watching and I expected it to suck big time a la Bible Black, but I quite like this video. Especially the part where the main character throws his cross to the ground. Some clips are straight out of some the Zeitgeist movies though; I remember seeing those cops near the end before. I suspect it's Geezer who's behind this collaboration, but does anybody know for sure?

Edit: For those of you who haven't heard of Zeitgeist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist:_The_Movie

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    Wow. I generally love artsy stuff with my graphics background, but that was...quite bad. It looked like a high school project. A lot of stock footage randomly thrown about. I see where they were trying to go with it, but yeah...I'll just stick to the song.
    Fully agreed! And may I add that the closing eye in the end was predictable as fuck

Interestingly enough the video actually shares many same elements with this fan made lyric video that I actually dig quite a lot, check it out!

"The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Music videos have never been their thing, really. Shame.

I'm just glad they finally made an album!
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

So far I've only seen the video once, and that was on my IPhone, so I will need to give it another look. I am surprised, based on what I saw, that so few like it. The meaning is strong: so many people abandoning their faith, after seeing what tragedies and gluttony (guy stuffing shrimp in his mouth) is going on in the world. It asks the question, "how can I believe that there is a God, when mankind is so evil?". It suggests that we are in the 13th hour (note the watch) of our countdown to destruction and the end times, when the wrong are right, and the right are wrong (ie: the police). This video has meaning and commentary, and I dug it right away; maybe not for the quality, but for the fact that the band is making a very interesting statement and not just glorifying dragons and stuff. No?
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-10-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Once again, just like with Bible Black, they couldn't be arsed making a half decent video. Just more stock footage combined with some pretty shoddy video. I bet the catering for the crew and cast was the largest expense when making this. How hard is it really to get those 3 guys and a drummer of their choosing in front of a wall of amps and film them rocking out with some snazzy angles and camera work? Super simple, and would be infinitely better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    So far I've only seen the video once, and that was on my IPhone, so I will need to give it another look. I am surprised, based on what I saw, that so few like it. The meaning is strong: so many people abandoning their faith, after seeing what tragedies and gluttony is going on in the world. It asks the question, "how can I believe that there is a God, when mankind is so evil?". It suggests that we are in the 13th hour (note the watch) of our countdown to destruction and the end times, when the wrong are right, and the right are wrong (ie: the police). This video has meaning and commentary, and I dug it right away; maybe not for the quality, but for the fact that the band is making a very interesting statement and not just glorifying dragons and stuff. No?
    Agreed. I think the concept is quite good. It's what I imagined really. It was just very poorly executed, IMO. Considering the stature of the band and a seemingly limitless budget, it could have been much, much better.

Oh well...they're not of the music video era anyway. I wasn't expecting to be blown away.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

ARE VIDEOS RELAVENT ANYMORE? LOL! I mean really? Check any video out now by rock bands, it's usualy a shot of the band playing or simulating playing live... who cares, didn't MTV give up the music video thing like 20 yrs ago...???

Quote Originally Posted by David86 View Post
    Music videos have never been their thing, really. Shame.
    They were better when they went with more of a "live concert" feel to their videos. "Hard Road," for example.

"Neon Knights" and "Die Young" were two of the most brilliant videos ever done by anyone, but they weren't "videos" like people think of them. And Lyndsey Clennell couldn't repeat that formula when he did the two videos for Born Again, because he couldn't leave the live concert footage alone and instead added a bunch of B-grade "horror film" stuff to them. Not necessary and unlike his work on the Heaven and Hell videos, those have aged horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    ARE VIDEOS RELAVENT ANYMORE? LOL! I mean really? Check any video out now by rock bands, it's usualy a shot of the band playing or simulating playing live... who cares, didn't MTV give up the music video thing like 20 yrs ago...???
    As far as MTV goes, it's dead. But they're still very much alive in the YouTube and Viveo era. Especially now that they can track views. With the state of music sales in general, a solid music video that makes its rounds, where you share with the click of a button, it can make all the difference in the world.

The Bible Black fan made video is the best I've ever seen released by Sabbath or in that case, "Heaven & Hell", it's a combo of scenes mixed with live playing, beats any of the BS videos before or since, the guy, the fan, is very, very talented.... I posted the link to it above for those who haven't seen it...

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    As far as MTV goes, it's dead. But they're still very much alive in the YouTube and Viveo era. Especially now that they can track views. With the state of music sales in general, a solid music video that makes its rounds, where you share with the click of a button, it can make all the difference in the world.
    "A world of difference", I'm not so sure Hipster, I'm not one of those people who thinks anytime anything fails by a band it's because of "marketing", or lack of...good music will sell, period... if this album doesn't hit it "big", it's because people aren't all that interested and didn't dig the music, not because of a bad video, or "lack of marketing.." etc... I thought that H&H's TDYK was very heavily marketed, and even though it debuted high on the top album list on it's release, (sales of course in the digital cyber age are nothing compared to the old vinyl days), people tried comparing TDYK with MOR in terms of chart #, but in terms of sale's MOR slaughtered TDYK, it's not even a close call there... and the TDYK quickly faded once the die hards whent out and purchased their copy(s).

Personally, if I'm a band, I wouldn't waste much time or $ on a video... most people load them into their phones or MP3's and just listen... I don't think people spend all that much time on Youtube, other than to check out a song to see how it sounds maybe before buying....

I don't think people spend all that much time on Youtube, other than to check out a song to see how it sounds maybe before buying....
    I can appreciate your opinion, but that really couldn't be any less true. YouTube is MASSIVE and a quality video can make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be expensive and over the top, just quality. Nearly everything to do with this album marketing wise up to this point has included YouTube. A solid visual to go along with a great song can propel it to even greater heights, especially with the option to tune it at any given time with limitless play counts.

As far as Sabbath and this particular video, I can't imagine the 3 of them care at all. I'm sure they were each just glad to not have to be a part of filming it. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    Thx for sharing this: i prefer it over the other one.

Also - is it me or does this audio mix have extra reverb space added to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
    Once again, just like with Bible Black, they couldn't be arsed making a half decent video. Just more stock footage combined with some pretty shoddy video. I bet the catering for the crew and cast was the largest expense when making this. How hard is it really to get those 3 guys and a drummer of their choosing in front of a wall of amps and film them rocking out with some snazzy angles and camera work? Super simple, and would be infinitely better than this.
    Yes. My feelings exactly. Oh well.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

I think it's a really cool video, which emphasize the lyrics well. And the eyelid shutting is a great effect.
    But what i loved the most is they didn't just include the "christian" god, but also the "jewish" and "muslim" god.

And another funny thing, you can actually see Bill Ward in some of those Paris 1970-clips, just barely behind Geezer. Wonder if his lawyers've got anything to say about that..?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

I like it!, it's not them playing safe either.
    Good vid for a great song
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    But what i loved the most is they didn't just include the "christian" god, but also the "jewish" and "muslim" god.
    I agree definitely. You don't see that often when it comes to Sabbath, but this was a very interesting detail.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Oh my gosh this video sucks! What a missed opportunity. Love the song but the video is dull and boring. 9 minutes worth of dull and boring, aaargh!!

Okay, I had a chance to see the video on a big screen now, and I agree that the quality is fairly average, but I still hold by my statement that the messaging is strong and topical, and for that reason I respect the video and what they have done here. I generally have no use for videos anymore; they are a memory of the '80's for me that I am more than willing to let go. Most are dated and laughable. I still give them kudos for this one, especially for the fact that it is very relevant and required them to take some risks.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniors Eyes View Post
    Oh my gosh this video sucks! What a missed opportunity. Love the song but the video is dull and boring. 9 minutes worth of dull and boring, aaargh!!
    I think that second video is dull and boring. We all know the destructive force of a nuke... we don't need to watch 8 minutes of it...IMHO

My expectations for the music video were pretty low. And those expectations were met when this video came out. haha. Like David86 said, music videos have never been something Sabbath has done well. I don't really care if the video is lame, amazing, or somewhere in between because I won't be watching the videos but listening to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    I was a bit worried when I read it was going to be directed by that Zeitgeist guy, but I was pleasantly surprised. I read the comments in this thread before watching and I expected it to suck big time a la Bible Black, but I quite like this video. Especially the part where the main character throws his cross to the ground. Some clips are straight out of some the Zeitgeist movies though; I remember seeing those cops near the end before. I suspect it's Geezer who's behind this collaboration, but does anybody know for sure?

Edit: For those of you who haven't heard of Zeitgeist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist:_The_Movie
    Wasn't even aware that zeitgeist was a movie, may have to give it a watch considering I think the music vid for gid is cool and my fav track of 13 is "zeitgeist".
    It's obviously now apparent that the film was a large influence on the album in some ways.
    The film any good?
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

I just watched it. It's OK, but I won't watch it again. I really don't like conceptual videos, as they never depict what I visualize from my listening experience. I also don't want the images from the official video to be recalled when I listen.
    "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

Just as bad as any other Black Sabbath music video, nothing surprising there :D

...I'll put the 'God Is Dead' video on par with 'Bible Black': TERRIBLE! Both videos should have just featured the BAND which I would have been more than content with. That said, as someone posted earlier, I agree, Black Sabbath have never seemed comfortable making music videos to begin with. I'll just enjoy the audio. Interesting comments everybody pro and con.

I dig the video for "God Is Dead?". Powerful, very surreal and sorta abstract. Love how the Sabbath logo gargoyle pops up in the chick's makeup compact mirror: flashing like lightning. Nice touch. The fast-moving white action is cool, too. Digging this video.

Was looking forward to it but I wasn't really into it. The Video Genre is a tricky thing. Hopefully we do get a great Sabbath video for this album though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolzeyes View Post
    http://www.universal-music.de/black-...70/god-is-dead

A premiere coz it's like a mini movie. A whole 9 minutes of it.

Ideal for conspiracy theory junkies.
    Awful video. As predictable and pedestrian as the song. Yawn. I'm going to put on "Damaged Soul" to get that out of my mind

I'm not too fond of this. They could have easily brought out some portable Go Pro camera's to the shows in April and had some roadies film them playing the song, and edited it all on a frigging Laptop on the bus. Making video's can be a long boring day (Or couple of days) for a band. So I get why they didn't want to go to the trouble. But I think this video was a waste of shrimp, a briefcase, and computer generated wine. I'd say it was a waste of time for a bunch of extra's but they would have probably been waiting tables, and cleaning other people's houses instead of standing around a fake street corner, reacting to nothing. So for them I'd say they JOB WELL DONE ! They probably had fun. But it's no fun watching this.

Actually the best Sabbath video was the fan made one for Bible Black...

See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZEMkJ1SW8
    I like the Bible Black fan vid a lot. But I think the fan made, Ear in the Wall is just as good. I wonder if the same person/people might have done both?

The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

After seeing it for the 2nd time i still think it's great. Right up there with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Zero The Hero as Sabbaths best videos.
    Only thing missing is Ozzy jumping into the ocean from an oil-rig to swim with dolphins in the end...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    I'm not too fond of this. They could have easily brought out some portable Go Pro camera's to the shows in April and had some roadies film them playing the song, and edited it all on a frigging Laptop on the bus. Making video's can be a long boring day (Or couple of days) for a band. So I get why they didn't want to go to the trouble. But I think this video was a waste of shrimp, a briefcase, and computer generated wine. I'd say it was a waste of time for a bunch of extra's but they would have probably been waiting tables, and cleaning other people's houses instead of standing around a fake street corner, reacting to nothing. So for them I'd say they JOB WELL DONE ! They probably had fun. But it's no fun watching this.

I like the Bible Black fan vid a lot. But I think the fan made, Ear in the Wall is just as good. I wonder if the same person/people might have done both?

I believe the same person did both vids.... I hate the song EITW though so I never really watched the video...

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

I think alot of peoPle have a 15 second attention span and like those who don't like the song GID because it's "too long", can't hang with the video, they'd rather just see a standard video of the band playing on stage... LOL! At least the video shows some thought, as did the lyrics to the song, something most bands never do... usually it's just "my bad stripper girlfriend stuff..."
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.