Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Where would you rank 13 among the Great Eight?

1. Sabotage
    2. 13
    3. Vol. 4
    4. Paranoid
    5. Master of Reality
    6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    7. Technical Ecstasy
    8. Never Say Die
    9. Black Sabbath

I would rank it as high as #2. I don't think it surpasses my favorite album (Sabotage), but I think that this album would have crushed the others if it had been released in the 70s. I really think we'd be raving about the sheer heaviness of it.

Like any true Sabbath fan, my list 1-9 could change today! This list is far different from what I've posted previously so - that's just how I'm feeling at the moment.

Also, what do we call this now? We've got the "great eight" and the "sacred six", but now there are nine. The best I've been able to come up with is the "nuclear nine". I thought about the "nasty nine" but that might just be lamer. "nightmare nine"? "fine nine"?

Come on people, we've got to name this list!
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

1. Paranoid / Vol. 4 (couldn't really decide for years which goes second)
    3. Master Of Reality
    4. Black Sabbath
    5. Sabotage
    6. 13
    7. Sabbath Blood Sabbath
    8. TE

100980. Never Say Die

btw
    Did anyone expect that we would actually be able to compare new album to the old ones, rank it even in top 6
    Thanks for that again you bloody sabbath, I can repeat it over and over
    Last edited by Kid Lebowski; 06-16-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

It certainly is better than TE, not quite sure about NSD!, there's some great outstanding tunes there, but atleast among top 7/8... Time will tell if it climbs even higher on the list...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Right now, I've got all nine albums loaded in WMP and playing random.
    It's interesting to hear the 13 tracks interspersed with the other 8 albums.
    I'm still processing this ranking and may be revising soon.

Banned

Not up to par with the classic 5½ albums but I do think it's better than Techincal Ecstacy for sure and about 1000 times better than Never Say Die.
    Also I'd say it's quite a bit better than the second half of Sabotage.

But some tracks on 13 are much much better than some tracks on some of the first 5½...just the overall feel isn't the same. But then again, I'm not sure it's really fair to compare this with the old ones...it's just bit too difficult to do anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    But then again, I'm not sure it's really fair to compare this with the old ones...
    That is an utterly true statement. It's a time-difference of 35-43 years here...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

I'm so sad to see Never Say Die so hated upon here, I love it more than Paranoid and Master of Reality, but then again I'm really weird like that.
    I guess my ranking for Ozzy albums has to go like this:

1. Sabotage
    2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Vol. 4
    5. Never Say Die
    6. Paranoid
    7. 13
    8. Master of Reality
    9. Technical Ecstasy

13 is still doing a lot of growing though, so this is of course subject to change.

1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    2. Master of Reality
    3. Paranoid
    4. Sabotage
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. Volume 4
    7. Technical Ecstasy
    8. 13
    9. Never Say Die

1. Vol. 4
    2. Paranoid
    3. Sabotage
    4. Master of Reality
    5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    6. 13
    7. Black Sabbath
    8. Never Say Die
    9. Technical Ecstasy

1. Sabotage
    2. Paranoid
    3. Vol. 4
    4. SBS
    5. MOR
    6. Black Sabbath
    7. TE
    8. NSD
    9. 13

I'd call it the Devine Nine......
    Paranoid
    Sabotage
    Master of reality
    Black sabbath
    Vol 4
    13(broke into my top 6!)
    Sabbath bloody sabbath
    Technical ecstasy
    Never say die
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Would Reunion have to be included, being it has two new tracks on it? Just like The Dio Years, has three new tracks.

1.) Black Sabbath
    2.) Vol. 4
    3.) Sabotage
    4.) Paranoid
    5.) Master Of Reality
    6.) 13
    7.) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    8.) Technical Ecstasy
    9.) Never Say Die!

It's hard for me to number them in the order I like them, because I love them all.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 06-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Same bottom 3 oid ,
    Apart from paranoid and never say die the rest shuffle about on a weekly basis.

Let's be real. What great band at this age and wealth could match their peak? There's only been one instance where a band or solo artist suddenly matched or bettered their creative peak (but that was within ten years). Not the Stones, the Who, Floyd, Led Zep, Queen, Springsteen, Elvis Costello, James Brown, Prince, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, Miles Davis, etc...none of them delivered an undisputed masterpiece even ten years after their peak let alone 30. Only Bob Dylan with "Blood On The Tracks" (1975) roughly ten years after his 1964-1967 genius period was able to bounce back with another peak (that lasted one album). But for the past 38 years Dylan has had great moments but nowhere near his peaks of 1964-1967 & 1975.

So the odds were vanishing small that Dio Sabbath could do it in 2009 and Ozzy Sabbath could do it in 2013. Didn't happen either time but both incarnations delivered an admirable album.

With that I go...

Ozzy:

1. Black Sabbath
    2. Paranoid
    3. Vol. 4
    4. Master of Reality
    6. Sabaotage
    7. Technical Ecstasy
    8. 13
    9. Never Say Die

Dio:
    1. Heaven & Hell
    2. The Bob Rules
    3. Dehumanizer
    4. The Devil You Know
    Last edited by DARKEST LIGHT; 06-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    Same bottom 3 oid ,
    Apart from paranoid and never say die the rest shuffle about on a weekly basis.
    You mean same bottom 4, me too they always shuffle and 13 is still pretty new, but Black Sabbath the debut will always be my number 1.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    You mean same bottom 4, me too they always shuffle and 13 is still pretty new, but Black Sabbath the debut will always be my number 1.
    Yeah man, 13 is new so it could climb up my charts with time or fall down my chart with time,
    Dio ones..
    Mob rules
    Dehumanizer
    Heaven and hell
    The devil you know

Its early days, but as much as I like the new album its still probably 9th. The reason I fell in love with Sabbath all those years ago was mainly down to Tony's guitar and Ozzy's voice, Tony's as good as ever but as good as Ozzy sounds on 13 he still aint a patch on the 70's material, even though NSD was a fairly weak album I still think Ozzy sounded brilliant on it. I know its impossible for a 64yr old to sound like a 24yr old, I know that, but I don't really like his voice these days, sorry.
    Do you believe a word what the good book says?
    Or is it just a holy fairytale and God is Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    Let's be real. What great band at this age and wealth could match their peak?
    David Bowie - Hours... (1999), Heathen (2002), 27 years after Ziggy Stardust (which wasn't even his best album in the 70's, The Man Who Sold The World was, so really 29 years...)
    Gong - 2023 (2009), 35 years after The Radio Gnome triology

And probably lots of others i don't remember right now...
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    Its early days, but as much as I like the new album its still probably 9th. The reason I fell in love with Sabbath all those years ago was mainly down to Tony's guitar and Ozzy's voice, Tony's as good as ever but as good as Ozzy sounds on 13 he still aint a patch on the 70's material, even though NSD was a fairly weak album I still think Ozzy sounded brilliant on it. I know its impossible for a 64yr old to sound like a 24yr old, I know that, but I don't really like his voice these days, sorry.
    Valid point mate, I was more worried his voice was gonna sound like scream or black rain. I thought that quad bike accident he had may of done damage to his vocal chords,
    Love his voice on zeitgeist and age of reason!,
    He's really gave it his all has ozz on this album.

Yeah man, 13 is new so it could climb up my charts with time or fall down my chart with time,
    Dio ones..
    Mob rules
    Dehumanizer
    Heaven and hell
    The devil you know
    The Dio ones for me are:

1.) Mob Rules
    2.) Heaven And Hell
    3.) The Devil You Know
    4.) Dehumanizer

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    The Dio ones for me are:

1.) Mob Rules
    2.) Heaven And Hell
    3.) The Devil You Know
    4.) Dehumanizer
    Couldn't get into the devil you know, dunno why?

I was surprised to see Vol. 4 at the top of lists on here. I always felt that that album was kinda "Bleh" primarily because of the mix. The Songs are actually pretty good, Live I'v heard em sound amazing. But the record standing up to the rest, no way. Just too muddy & Ozzy's voice is way too low in the mix on too many tracks. It's a Toss up with Master Of Reality and Sabotage for me. When I was 13 (!), I picked up my first Sabbath tapes, yes cassettes were the thing of my day, they were Master Of Reality and Paraniod and I got em for probably 1 dollar each at the flea market, they looked brand new, like they were just sitting there waiting for me . I was getting into rock music thanks to my then girlfriend and I must have seen Ozzy with Sabbath on MTV (They would play Iron Man & Paranoid videos sometimes) so I was like oh cool, Ozzy's old band. I knew of Ozzy since I was a little kid as my uncle had a lot of his records including Bark At the Moon and Speak of the Devil. Anyway, I could not believe my ears when I took these 2 albums home and listened to them in my room with my headphones. It really just opened up a whole new world of music for me. Depth that I had never experienced, Ill never forget that. With all of that Nostalgia behind me, i'd be hard to put anything above the way MOR affected me. As an adult I feel there is a bit more "Meat on the Bones" with Sabotage, but I never heard this album till years n years later, I was probably 21 or 22 at that time. With 13, its kind of the same thing. I can listen to it front to back, bonus tracks included, and dig every single track! As others have said, it may very well end up being their greatest record ever but as of right now, it just does not have that type of nostalgia built up just yet. That takes years. Anyway, here's my list!

1. Master of Reality
    2. Sabotage
    3. Thirteen
    4. Paranoid
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    7. Vol. 4
    8. Technical Ecstasy
    9. Never Say Die
    Last edited by Lex; 06-15-2013 at 04:56 PM.

1. Paranoid (Pure Power)
    2. Vol.4 ('cause special feelings)
    3. Black Sabbath (swinging rawness)
    4. Sabbath bloddy Sabbath (Sabbra Cadabra)
    5. Technical Ecstasy (underrated... Masterpiece!)*
    6. Sabotage (dazed,boozed and evil. This album is in its own leaque. Champions Leaque)**
    7. 13 (fresh, modern, BLACK SABBATH 2013. This album (8 Songs) is perfectly round,in contrast to the last two)
    8. Master of Reality (Classic legendary Songs)
    9. Never Say die (Very good from Track 1-4)***

* - "It's Allright" is a cool song. The only thing that fucked me up is that it is the third track on the album.
    I think that songs with other singers should be the last tracks from an album.

** - I can totally understand why many people would put "Sabotage" at first position. There are just records that captivate me more.

*** - I think that this album isn't a whole album. It feels as if someone had tried obsessively to get to the play time.

Very, very tough to do.

1) Sabotage
    2) MoR
    3) NSD
    4) Vol. 4
    5) Technical
    6) SBS
    7) 13
    8) Paranoid
    9) Black Sabbath

If MoR had two tracks from Vo. 4 on it - it would be no. 1 for me. Sabotage is a masterpiece from every angle though....EVERY angle.

1.Black Sabbath (Best album of ALL time, bar none)
    2.Vol. 4
    3. Sabbatoge
    4. Paranoid
    5. Master of Reality
    7. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
    8.TE
    9. NSD
    Life Member of the NRA

Sabotage
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Never Say Die
    Master of Reality
    Paranoid
    Vol. 4
    Black Sabbath
    Technical Ecstasy

Great album, can't touch the other 8.

cheers
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I really love the first 8 Sabbath albums, almost equally . 13 is one more in this list.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Sabotage
    Vol 4
    Black Sabbath
    Paranoid
    Master of Reality
    Technical Ecstasy
    Never Say Die

Quote Originally Posted by Fabiano75 View Post
    I really love the first 8 Sabbath albums, almost equally . 13 is one more in this list.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Sabotage
    Vol 4
    Black Sabbath
    Paranoid
    Master of Reality
    Technical Ecstasy
    Never Say Die
    Me too Fabiano, I love them all equally, like Spiral said earlier they are always alternating.

It's too early to me rank the 13, i just wanna play over and over again and I'm very happy because this album has the soul of the sabbath, something that few can make a sound that gets better with each listening no matter how many times you put the cd to play, and its happening with the 13 every heard makes it more incredible
    Just remeber love is life and hate is living dead
    Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath
    Looking back I've lived and learned, but now I'm wondering
    Here I wait and only guess what the next life will bring
    Ha Ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by !Geezer. View Post
    It's too early to me rank the 13, i just wanna play over and over again and I'm very happy because this album has the soul of the sabbath, something that few can make a sound that gets better with each listening no matter how many times you put the cd to play, and its happening with the 13 every heard makes it more incredible
    Yep that's the sign of a good album!, gets better with each listen without getting boring. You don't listen to it for a few days then you start itching to listen to it, and when your at work etc the songs start playing in your head and you just wanna play them when you get home.

Mine would likely be this:

1. Sabotage
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    4. Paranoid
    5. Master Of Reality
    6. Vol. 4
    7. 13
    8. Technical Ecstasy
    9. Born Again
    10. Heaven And Hell
    11. Never Say Die
    12. Mob Rules

At this early listening time frame (remember I've had 35 years of the other albums in my psyche, started listening to Sabbath at the age of 7 in 1978), '13' is marginally better than Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die has always ranked lowest of the original incarnation.
    I've included the first 2 Dio albums and 'Born Again' which I rate well.
    The rest I don't really care for.
    Last edited by brokentiny; 06-15-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    There is something important to be said

Yep that's the sign of a good album!, gets better with each listen without getting boring. You don't listen to it for a few days then you start itching to listen to it, and when your at work etc the songs start playing in your head and you just wanna play them when you get home.
    Exactly, I heard a few albums after the 2000s gave me this sensation. I think not are giving due weight to 13, I think the 8 albums of the band are incredible and irreplaceable but 13 years from now will have already influenced enough and is a landmark for the Sabbath, even after 35 years without working together (unfortunately without Bill) are still brilliant and can make a very solid album
    Just remeber love is life and hate is living dead
    Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath
    Looking back I've lived and learned, but now I'm wondering
    Here I wait and only guess what the next life will bring
    Ha Ha!!!!

1. Paranoid
    2. Master of Reality
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Vol. 4
    6. 13
    7. Technical Ecstasy
    8. Never Say Die

Quote Originally Posted by ZepHead View Post
    1. Paranoid
    2. Master of Reality
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Vol. 4
    6. 13
    7. Technical Ecstasy
    8. Never Say Die
    No Sabotage?

I can only list these in terms of favorites. Their greatness is subjective from person to person, but here goes:

1.) 'Master Of Reality'
    2.) 'Black Sabbath'
    3.) 'Paranoid'
    4.) 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'
    5.) '13'
    6.) 'Sabotage'
    7.) 'Vol. 4'
    8.) 'Technical Ecstacy'
    9.) 'Never Say Die!'

The reason I would place 'Vol. 4' lower is not because of the songs, but the recording. Very trebly and sometimes thin-sounding. But then, they were coked out of the gazoo when they did that album. Sonically, '13' is one of their very best. The more you play the new record, the more you realize that it is a latter-day classic. It's a tough call trying to judge which of the three original albums is the best, but 'Master Of Reality' still slays me like no other Sabbath record. 'Black Sabbath' remains the indescribable classic that it is, and 'Paranoid' is flawless. The songs and recording on 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' are wonderful. 'Sabotage' is still as great as it ever has been.

It's so wonderful: the world's response to '13'. We only could have (pipe-)dreamed such an outcome: #1 throughout the world...

Can you imagine how rewarded Tony and the guys must be feeling? They should. They fucking brought it and then some for '13'.

Congratulations again, guys. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by WallOfSleep View Post
    No Sabotage?
    Holy shit.

1. Paranoid
    2. Master of Reality
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Vol. 4
    6. Sabotage
    7. 13
    8. Technical Ecstasy
    9. Never Say Die

It's pointless to me to rank them. The first wight albums are equally phenomenal in different ways. 13 too!
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Great question, I'll try to rank 13 among Black Sabbath's 12 other albums. I agree with the Ozzman that as great as Born Again, Seventh Star, Headless Cross, and Tyr were (my words not his), there are really only 2 eras of Sabbath (his words, and I agree). Hence the triple meaning of 13: it's an unlucky number so it's got "evil" connotations, it's came out in 2013, and it's the 13th studio album from Black Sabbath. Ok, so starting from the best Sabbath album....

1. Heaven & Hell
    2. Mob Rules
    3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    4. Sabotage
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. 13
    7. Dehumanizer
    8. Paranoid
    9. Volume 4
    10. Master of Reality
    11. The Devil You Know
    12. Technical Ecstacy
    13. Never Say Die

It's 9th. Possibly equal to TE, but nowhere near as good as NSD.

I don't understand how so many people are ranking Technical Ecstasy above Never Say Die, a matter of opinion yes, but I'm wondering what about Technical Ecstasy stands out as opposed to Never Say Die (I'll give you You Won't Change Me and Dirty Women as I love those two, but the rest of the album not so much for me). Not to completely derail the topic, but I am curious as to why TE is ranking higher than NSD with so many people.