Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1

    Default Favorite Black Sabbath instrumental pieces (from the Ozzy era)?

    Hi! This here is my first thread on this forum :D

    Did a search to see if a similar topic has been previously done, but couldn't find any, so decided to make one myself!

    I'd like to read your picks for your favorite Black Sabbath instrumental pieces from the Black Sabbath Ozzy era!

    Optionally, you may explain what feelings and/or scenarios you imagine when listening to certain instrumentals

    Here's my (short) list:

    1.) Embryo, from Master of Reality...when I listen to this masterpiece of an instrumental...I think of someone preparing to make a huge sacrifice of something they love...saying final goodbyes before say entering a new chapter of their life. I love either listening to it on it's own, or listening to it followed by Children of the Grave...both songs match eachother so well! I got quite hyped when both were played live in this concert :D

    2.) This untitled (as far as I know) instrumental piece at the beginning of this Black Sabbath live version (it ends at around 2:10 in the Youtube video I linked) (it appears also in several other live versions of Black Sabbath around that time period [1970] as well)
    When I listen to it...I get a very horror-ey vibe...like some deadly creature is stalking an unsuspecting victim...the seemingly random, unpredictable changes in tempo really drive that feeling home to me...I badly wish the album version included this instrumental instead of the effects on it (like the church bell and noisy rain)...to me, it sets the mood for the rest of the song much better than the effects I listed

    **I'm updating this list with some additional favorite instrumentals, and try to explain what feelings and/or scenarios they invoke in me when I listen to them:

    3.) This untitled instrumental section after the end of this demo of Behind The Wall of Sleep (it appeared in the live Behind the Wall of Sleep as well, in the Live in Brussels (I think that's the location?) 1970 concert as well... ...it starts after 3:50...when I listen to this hyyyype instrumental, I think of working hard late at night (you can say, like a late night shift at work or something to that effect) with a bunch of friends...I've had a similar experience and that part of the song somehow reminds me of that memory hehe so yea it's not hard to understand why I lost my shit to hear it in a recorded version of this song!

    4.) Breakout, from Never Say Die!...just discovered this yesterday, and was blown away by it almost immediately! Might stand toe-to-toe with Embryo as my favorite MK1-Black Sabbath instrumental...it's that great imo! Since I discovered it so recently, I don't quite have any specific scenarios and/or feelings to describe when I listen to this instrumental...at least not yet.

    5.) Laguna Sunrise, from Vol. 4...when I listen to this instrumental, I think of two friends (or more) forgiving eachother after an argument and/or a silent treatment and catching up with eachother...might be in part due to the time I started listening to it and was in a similar scenario...so yea, it stuck with me and whenether I listen to the song, it reminds me of that scenario haha...tbh, I think this instrumental goes on for too long...I would've liked if it was somewhat shorter, but that's just me

    6.) Rat Salad, from Paranoid...this instrumental sounds like it could fit in well in a fighting scene in an action movie...it's overall fast-paced and...action-like to me if that makes sense

    7.) Orchid, from Master of Reality...this instrumental honestly leaves me unsettled...I think that was the point? It sounds like to me the world is changing slowly, for the worse...slowly, but surely. I'll give a specific example...like how the world is slowly but surely becoming more hostile to privacy (depends on your viewpoint)...with many apps on Android being quite excessive in what they ask you to collect from you (shit like having access to your contact list, WiFi connection information...access to your most frequently talked-to people, etc.). Then the instrumental leads into Lord of This World...a great match overall in themes and musical content imo

    8.) Fluff, from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath...when I listen to this instrumental, I think of peaceful times...especially on sunny days :D I played this song out loud in my dad's car when we were driving my older sister home from her college graduation....so it also reminds me of graduation as well. As with Laguna Sunrise, I also think this song goes on for too long for my tastes, even more so than Laguna Sunrise. As a result, I listen to it much less frequently than the other instrumentals I've listed above
    Last edited by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah!; 07-12-2017 at 04:42 PM.

  2. #2
    KiloDeltaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Emsworth, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    6,029

    Default

    1. Fluff
    2. Rat Salad
    3. Breakout
    4. Don't Start (Too Late)
    5. Laguna Sunrise
    6. Orchid
    7. Embryo
    8. FX
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

  3. #3

    Default

    1. Don't Start (Too Late)
    2. Break Out
    3. Supertzar
    4. Embryo
    5. Fluff
    6. Rat Salad

    Don't really care for the others.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    1. Fluff
    2. Rat Salad
    3. Breakout
    4. Don't Start (Too Late)
    5. Laguna Sunrise
    6. Orchid
    7. Embryo
    8. FX
    Haha, I'm surprised this (the bolded) showed up! Not even sure if this qualifies as an instrumental piece...I mean it was indeed made by Iommi throwing random objects as his guitar lmao...so very techically, I guess it could count (since it was indeed made with an instrument)...but to me, I don't think it qualifies because in all the times I've listened to it, I hear no musical notes in it...at all.

    Not to say it's a bad track...the experimental, weird vibe of it gives it a great artistic quality imo. I could easily picture hearing this in some kind of art museum as an example of...let me try to find the words for it...surreal music? artistic music? I think it would be great to hear it in an art museum :D Also, it fits in well with the rest of the Vol. 4 album imo


    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Sun View Post
    1. Don't Start (Too Late)
    2. Break Out
    3. Supertzar
    4. Embryo
    5. Fluff
    6. Rat Salad

    Don't really care for the others.
    Since the both of you mentioned Break Out...I looked it up on Youtube to hear it...and mY EARS! Fell in love almost immediately! How have I got by this long without knowing about it! I loooove the boomy sound to it, and the jazzy sound to it as well! Might update the OP with it, as well as some other instrumentals I forgot to add
    Last edited by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah!; 07-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.

  5. #5
    mikesline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Basically --my favorite one

  6. #6
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Since the both of you mentioned Break Out...I looked it up on Youtube to hear it...and mY EARS! Fell in love almost immediately! How have I got by this long without knowing about it! I loooove the boomy sound to it, and the jazzy sound to it as well! Might update the OP with it, as well as some other instrumentals I forgot to add
    Nice to finally see some love for this great tune.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesline View Post
    Basically --my favorite one
    Wow, this one honestly glossed over my head when thinking of this thread! Nice pick! It sets the mood for N.I.B pretty well...but even on it's own, it's a fantastic piece of music by Geezer :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Nice to finally see some love for this great tune.
    It's well worthy of it's love from me, as well as others, imo :]
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  8. #8
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post

    It's well worthy of it's love from me, as well as others, imo :]
    Sadly, it's been a huge hate object. To me it's the highlight of the underrated NSD! along with Junior's Eyes. Also, the segue into Swinging The Chain make them one song for me.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Sadly, it's been a huge hate object. To me it's the highlight of the underrated NSD! along with Junior's Eyes. Also, the segue into Swinging The Chain make them one song for me.
    That's saddening to know :[...I honestly don't get why. It's a great-sounding instrumental imo!

    I haven't listened to the entirety of Never Say Die! yet, but it's definitely up there in my favorites of that album so far (along with the title track and forgot the name of some others I liked haha, mainly because I haven't listened to them often enough to remember their names even though I did like them)

    Haha, my first listen to Breakout on Youtube was a clip with it merged with Swinging the Chain, and I can definitely hear the smooth transition in between them! I loooooove when two songs merge into eachother that way, it's happened on several earlier Black Sabbath Ozzy albums as well...it really helps the album feel interconnected with eachother, especially when listening to them back-to-back in their album order
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  10. #10
    KiloDeltaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Emsworth, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    6,029

    Default

    ^^^ You don't seem that familiar with the Never Say Die album, are you aware that Bill sings on Swinging The Chain? Also I understand that Break Out wasn't originally intended as an instrumental, but with all the crap surrounding the album they couldn't get Ozzy to do the vocals (or something like that!).
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    ^^^ You don't seem that familiar with the Never Say Die album, are you aware that Bill sings on Swinging The Chain? Also I understand that Break Out wasn't originally intended as an instrumental, but with all the crap surrounding the album they couldn't get Ozzy to do the vocals (or something like that!).
    Not that familiar with Never Say Die! album as of now...I think I've listened to 3, maybe 4 songs from it so far...I plan on checking out the entirety of it sometime later haha

    Yup, I knew for some time Bill sings on Swinging The Chain, his 2nd song where he's the main vocalist in Mk1 Black Sabbath as far as I know (the 1st was It's Alright on Technical Ecstasy)

    Whaaaaaaaat! It was meant to have Ozzy vocals as well?! Quite fascinating imo! I'm still quite fond of the final, vocal-less version...but still would've loved to hear the original intended version with the Ozzy vocals (if that was the case)
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  12. #12
    turch118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stratford,CT
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Sadly, it's been a huge hate object. To me it's the highlight of the underrated NSD! along with Junior's Eyes. Also, the segue into Swinging The Chain make them one song for me.
    We're not alone anymore dude.

  13. #13
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    We're not alone anymore dude.
    I know, it's great

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Whaaaaaaaat! It was meant to have Ozzy vocals as well?! Quite fascinating imo! I'm still quite fond of the final, vocal-less version...but still would've loved to hear the original intended version with the Ozzy vocals (if that was the case)
    Anything like that probably doesn't exist, sadly, as the story goes that Ozzy mostly lay drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything. Bill's vocals on Swinging was originally intended to be a demo/guideline melody for Ozzy to re-record.
    But i can't imagine Breakout without the horn section riff and the frantic free-form iprov. sax. It's kinda what makes the tune...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    I know, it's great Anything like that probably doesn't exist, sadly, as the story goes that Ozzy mostly lay drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything. Bill's vocals on Swinging was originally intended to be a demo/guideline melody for Ozzy to re-record. But i can't imagine Breakout without the horn section riff and the frantic free-form iprov. sax. It's kinda what makes the tune...
    Its such an awkward song. The hitler line makes me cringe

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    I know, it's great :)



    Anything like that probably doesn't exist, sadly, as the story goes that Ozzy mostly lay drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything. Bill's vocals on Swinging was originally intended to be a demo/guideline melody for Ozzy to re-record.
    But i can't imagine Breakout without the horn section riff and the frantic free-form iprov. sax. It's kinda what makes the tune...
    For your 1st sentence, "I know, it's great :)":

    Indeed :D

    For your 2nd sentence, "Anything like that probably doesn't exist, sadly, as the story goes that Ozzy mostly lay drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything. ":

    :[ That sucks that it's probably not in existence. Ozzy mostly laying drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything sounds like such a typical behavior from him haha...although in the case of that particular song (Breakout), he may have doubled down on his stubborn behavior to avoid singing to that song

    For your 3rd sentence, "Bill's vocals on Swinging was originally intended to be a demo/guideline melody for Ozzy to re-record.":

    That's a shocker to me...the song to me feels pretty great and polished to hear with Bill's vocals...it's kind of hard to believe they were merely a demo/guideline melody for Ozzy to re-record...then again...listening to it again...as much as I love Bill's vocals and performance on that song...I can quite easily picture them fitting Ozzy's voice and melodies just as much as Bill's version so it makes sense to me they were meant for Ozzy at first

    For your 4th and final sentence, "But i can't imagine Breakout without the horn section riff and the frantic free-form iprov. sax. It's kinda what makes the tune...":

    Call me crazy, but I can kind of picture lyrics fitting into the instrumental without altering the layout of the instrumental(like changing certain instrumental sections, omitting certain instruments all together, etc.)? That's just me though, because I'm crazy like that :P
    Last edited by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah!; 07-13-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  16. #16
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Ozzy mostly laying drunk on a couch not wanting to do anything sounds like such a typical behavior from him haha...
    Well, it was getting worse by '78-'79, and led to two Ozzy-less tunes, good as they are, ending the last Ozzy-era album, as the same behaviour under the sessions that was supposed to be the next album caused his being fired...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Well, it was getting worse by '78-'79, and led to two Ozzy-less tunes, good as they are, ending the last Ozzy-era album, as the same behaviour under the sessions that was supposed to be the next album caused his being fired...
    Dawww...a shame that recklessness contributed majorly to their demise at the time :[

    Wait a minute...THERE WERE SESSIONS GOING ON FOR ANOTHER ALBUM IN THAT ERA?!?! kl;ajsdfl;kjasdl;kfjakl;sdf I'm curious what it would've been like...a continuation of the style of Never Say Die! album or something else...

    I'm so surprised and fascinated with that new info because I frequently read up on the history of Black Sabbath in general (especially Mk1 Black Sabbath, although I've branched out and read up on several other lineups of Black Sabbath as well) on wikis and online articles and such...and yet I've never came across that info (about the sessions that was supposed to be the next album) part
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  18. #18
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Dawww...a shame that recklessness contributed majorly to their demise at the time :[
    Recklessness, addiction and depression, i'd guess...

    The only thing that's been somewhat "confirmed" as materializing at those sessions is the Children Of The Sea riff (Tony've said he already had it the first time they jammed with Dio), but i'd think it's weird if not other riffs off of H&H came from that time. They DID go pretty straight from Ozzy to Dio, so it's more or less the H&H-sessions we're talking about...

    Fuck wiki, go through this forum... ;-)
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  19. #19

    Default

    Oh boy ,, Ozzy Era , my brain doesn't work that way .... BUT , the greatest 2 "instrumental" achievements by Sabbath , any Era - are 2 tracks , one titled , one labeled - and neither an instrumental - maybe ....

    1) "The Straightener" - impeccable!

    2) "Nightfall" - incredible! ...... many confuse the "non" title with "Every Day Comes And Goes"

    ..... but , seeing that neither are a definitive instrumental (much like the opening to "Methademic" - which was originally it's own separate piece) ,,, it then becomes no contest , #1 is the minor "Canon in D" - esque "Scarlet Pimpernel" by far and above the single most amazing Sabbath instrumental ...

    .... although #2 on this incredible list of Black Sabbath achievements , the "Flight of the Bumblebee" - esque "Don't Start (Too Late)" , makes a strong case , especially with its descend from "Hole" and ascension to "Symptom" ,,,,, amazing stuff indeed!

    .... 3) "Embryo" - incredible feel! .... just edging out - "Rat Salad" , "Breakout" , "E5150" , "Stonehenge" , "Sphinx the Guardian" , "Gates of Hell" .....

    ...... Love all Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled ..... great stuff always!!


    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    2.) This untitled (as far as I know) instrumental piece at the beginning of this Black Sabbath live version (it ends at around 2:10 in the Youtube video I linked) (it appears also in several other live versions of Black Sabbath around that time period [1970] as well)
    When I listen to it...I get a very horror-ey vibe...like some deadly creature is stalking an unsuspecting victim...the seemingly random, unpredictable changes in tempo really drive that feeling home to me...I badly wish the album version included this instrumental instead of the effects on it (like the church bell and noisy rain)...to me, it sets the mood for the rest of the song much better than the effects I listed
    "Devil's Triad" , "Devil's Tritone" , "Devil's Interval" .... take your pick
    Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 07-13-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: God Bless ...

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Recklessness, addiction and depression, i'd guess...

    The only thing that's been somewhat "confirmed" as materializing at those sessions is the Children Of The Sea riff (Tony've said he already had it the first time they jammed with Dio), but i'd think it's weird if not other riffs off of H&H came from that time. They DID go pretty straight from Ozzy to Dio, so it's more or less the H&H-sessions we're talking about...

    Fuck wiki, go through this forum... ;-)
    "Recklessness, addiction and depression, i'd guess..."

    Honestly pretty sad to see one of my idols go through such a hard time, sucks for both him personally and that that ultimately led to the original lineup's demise :[

    "The only thing that's been somewhat "confirmed" as materializing at those sessions is the Children Of The Sea riff (Tony've said he already had it the first time they jammed with Dio), but i'd think it's weird if not other riffs off of H&H came from that time. They DID go pretty straight from Ozzy to Dio, so it's more or less the H&H-sessions we're talking about..."

    Is that so (about the riff to Children of the Sea)? Hmm...might give it a listen sometime. Something tells me though it's not note-for-note the original version of the riff from the Mk1 Black Sabbath recording sessions that never ended up resulting in another album from Mk1 Black Sabbath...although there's a chance I'm wrong, and it is indeed note-for-note the original riff from those sessions...same thing applies to the other riffs from Heaven and Hell

    "Fuck wiki, go through this forum... ;-)"

    Don't tell me what to do ...I'll visit any sites and read any articles on Black Sabbath, especially Mk1 Black Sabbath because they're my favorite, because I'm constantly hungry for more information on them, unless I know for sure the information they provided or continue to provide is false...which includes this forum as well so don't worry about me not going through this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Oh boy ,, Ozzy Era , my brain doesn't work that way .... BUT , the greatest 2 "instrumental" achievements by Sabbath , any Era - are 2 tracks , one titled , one labeled - and neither an instrumental - maybe ....

    1) "The Straightener" - impeccable!

    2) "Nightfall" - incredible! ...... many confuse the "non" title with "Every Day Comes And Goes"

    ..... but , seeing that neither are a definitive instrumental (much like the opening to "Methademic" - which was originally it's own separate piece) ,,, it then becomes no contest , #1 is the minor "Canon in D" - esque "Scarlet Pimpernel" by far and above the single most amazing Sabbath instrumental ...

    .... although #2 on this incredible list of Black Sabbath achievements , the "Flight of the Bumblebee" - esque "Don't Start (Too Late)" , makes a strong case , especially with its descend from "Hole" and ascension to "Symptom" ,,,,, amazing stuff indeed!

    .... 3) "Embryo" - incredible feel! .... just edging out - "Rat Salad" , "Breakout" , "E5150" , "Stonehenge" , "Sphinx the Guardian" , "Gates of Hell" .....

    ...... Love all Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled ..... great stuff always!!




    "Devil's Triad" , "Devil's Tritone" , "Devil's Interval" .... take your pick
    "Oh boy ,, Ozzy Era , my brain doesn't work that way"

    I take it your not too big on Ozzy Era Black Sabbath? (Not that this is a problem for me...to each their own!)

    "1) "The Straightener" - impeccable!"

    Hmmm...I used to love that one alot...these days, it's lost it's impact for me...I don't really know why tbh.

    "..... but , seeing that neither are a definitive instrumental (much like the opening to "Methademic""

    I don't know about the 2nd track before that quote, but how is The Straightener not a definite instrumental? To me at least, an instrumental is an any length composition that has musical notes in it and/or drums (as of now, not sure if drum solos count as instrumentals...hmmm)...one example of a track I definitely don't consider an instrumental is FX from Vol. 4...I hear no musical notes in it at all whenether I listen to it...haha it was made by Iommi throwing objects at his guitar XD

    "(much like the opening to "Methademic" - which was originally it's own separate piece)"

    You mean Methademic from the bouns 13 tracks? Hmm...that's kind of interesting to know it's intro was originally a separate piece

    " "Don't Start (Too Late)" , makes a strong case , especially with its descend from "Hole" and ascension to "Symptom" ,,,,, amazing stuff indeed!"

    Although I think of Don't Start (Too Late) as a decent-ish instrumental...I do agree with you it's awesome listening to all three tracks you mentioned in their album order...they do flow together quite well imo

    " "Embryo" - incredible feel! .... just edging out - "Rat Salad" , "Breakout" "

    Embryo's the No.1 favorite instrumental of mine from Mk 1 Black Sabbath as of now...it's quite great, short and sweet! I'm quite fond of the other 2 instrumentals as well

    "...... Love all Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled ..... great stuff always!!"

    Yep, I can tell by your gargantuan reply haha ...although there's bound to be at least one or more you aren't quite fond of no?
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  21. #21
    Billy Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge
    Posts
    8,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Don't tell me what to do ...I'll visit any sites and read any articles on Black Sabbath, especially Mk1 Black Sabbath because they're my favorite, because I'm constantly hungry for more information on them, unless I know for sure the information they provided or continue to provide is false...which includes this forum as well so don't worry about me not going through this forum
    Not telling. Advises... What you can't find on Sabbath on this site more or less doesn't exist. Granted, the info might be buried deep inside a post in a 5yr old thread. But stick around, something always pops up....
    The books are good places to find stuff too, but like most stuff on the net (esp. wiki) you'll have to take in the factor of errors.

    As for the riff, it's just a riff. And Sabbaths songwriting changed dramatically with the entry of Dio, from the more stream-of-consciousness "putting together stuff that sounds good" type style to a more conventional song structure writing.
    So a possible 1980 Ozzy-led Sabbath-album with some of the H&H riffs on it still would sound NOTHING like H&H...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Dawww...a shame that recklessness contributed majorly to their demise at the time :[

    Wait a minute...THERE WERE SESSIONS GOING ON FOR ANOTHER ALBUM IN THAT ERA?!?! kl;ajsdfl;kjasdl;kfjakl;sdf I'm curious what it would've been like...a continuation of the style of Never Say Die! album or something else...

    I'm so surprised and fascinated with that new info because I frequently read up on the history of Black Sabbath in general (especially Mk1 Black Sabbath, although I've branched out and read up on several other lineups of Black Sabbath as well) on wikis and online articles and such...and yet I've never came across that info (about the sessions that was supposed to be the next album) part
    I have the Black Sabbath Biography book by Chris Welch and I believe in it it's stated by Ozzy that there was supposed to be a 10th Anniversary album and tour by the original BS lineup in 1979; Ozzy goes on to state that after the tour the band would disband and the Black Sabbath name wouldn't be used again by any of the band Members.

    Ozzy then states that instead of another album and tour, the rest of the band got together with Dio when he (Ozzy) started to look into putting his solo band together (for after Sabbath disbanded presumably). Ozzy finishes by stating he was kind of miffed or resentful as he thought that everything had been decided re. the farewell album and tour.

    Ted

  23. #23
    zzzptm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    I have the Black Sabbath Biography book by Chris Welch and I believe in it it's stated by Ozzy that there was supposed to be a 10th Anniversary album and tour by the original BS lineup in 1979; Ozzy goes on to state that after the tour the band would disband and the Black Sabbath name wouldn't be used again by any of the band Members.

    Ozzy then states that instead of another album and tour, the rest of the band got together with Dio when he (Ozzy) started to look into putting his solo band together (for after Sabbath disbanded presumably). Ozzy finishes by stating he was kind of miffed or resentful as he thought that everything had been decided re. the farewell album and tour.

    Ted
    Sort of like the Beatles agreeing to disband after recording Let It Be then three of them getting together behind John Lennon's back and deciding to hire Rod Stewart as his replacement... I can understand Ozzy being upset over that move.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    Sort of like the Beatles agreeing to disband after recording Let It Be then three of them getting together behind John Lennon's back and deciding to hire Rod Stewart as his replacement... I can understand Ozzy being upset over that move.
    So can I.

    Ted

  25. #25

    Default

    ..... "The Straightener" is not a "definite" instrumental for obvious reasons

    ..... "FX" wasn't the throwing of objects , is was a half naked Iommi wearing his crucifix around his neck ,, as the cross bounced off the neck of his guitar - hitting the strings , the drugged out band of 4 got very excited and decided to record an "instrumental" with Iommi's cross being used on the guitar along with an echo effect to cause what you hear ....


    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    I take it your not too big on Ozzy Era Black Sabbath?
    Jesus , Family , Ozzy Era Sabbath ....


    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    ...although there's bound to be at least one or more you aren't quite fond of no?
    No ....

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Not telling. Advises... What you can't find on Sabbath on this site more or less doesn't exist. Granted, the info might be buried deep inside a post in a 5yr old thread. But stick around, something always pops up....
    The books are good places to find stuff too, but like most stuff on the net (esp. wiki) you'll have to take in the factor of errors.

    As for the riff, it's just a riff. And Sabbaths songwriting changed dramatically with the entry of Dio, from the more stream-of-consciousness "putting together stuff that sounds good" type style to a more conventional song structure writing.
    So a possible 1980 Ozzy-led Sabbath-album with some of the H&H riffs on it still would sound NOTHING like H&H...
    "Not telling. Advises..."

    Aah, thanks for clarifying

    "What you can't find on Sabbath on this site more or less doesn't exist. Granted, the info might be buried deep inside a post in a 5yr old thread. But stick around, something always pops up...."

    Hmmm...I haven't stuck around long enough on here to personally verify that...but I don't think it's a stretch to believe it's true. I definitely agree with the something new always pops out part...I trust this forum in particular so far to be on top of their game when it comes to reporting new, obscure, previously unknown information on various incarnations of Black Sabbath

    "As for the riff, it's just a riff"

    So you're confirming it is indeed note-for-note the original version of the riff from the sessions that didn't result in another Mk1 Black Sabbath album after Never Say Die! ?

    " And Sabbaths songwriting changed dramatically with the entry of Dio, from the more stream-of-consciousness "putting together stuff that sounds good" type style to a more conventional song structure "

    I'm not an expert in describing song-writing styles, nor am I especially familiar with Dio's songwriting style in comparison to Sabbath's original lineup's style in general...so I'll just take your word on it for now...unless I do later on feel differently from you about the songwriting styles (and also develop the vocabulary later on to describe songwriting styles)...in that case, I might end up telling you, and perhaps others as well, in a new thread or something about my observations about the two's (Dio's and MK1 Black Sabbath in general's) songwriting styles :P

    "So a possible 1980 Ozzy-led Sabbath-album with some of the H&H riffs on it still would sound NOTHING like H&H..."

    I pretty much agree fully with this! For an example of why I pretty much fully agree with this quote...just take a listen to the in-progress early version of Junior's Eyes with the other vocalist (I can't think of the dude's name atm haha) and compare it to the final version...the song's musical structure didn't change that dramatically between the two IIRC, yet the differences in both the vocalists' (the dude who sang the earlier version and Ozzy) singing styles and voices, as well as the lyrics, which were vastly different for each vocalist's version of the song, gives both of those versions of the song quite a different feel from one another


    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    I have the Black Sabbath Biography book by Chris Welch and I believe in it it's stated by Ozzy that there was supposed to be a 10th Anniversary album and tour by the original BS lineup in 1979; Ozzy goes on to state that after the tour the band would disband and the Black Sabbath name wouldn't be used again by any of the band Members.

    Ozzy then states that instead of another album and tour, the rest of the band got together with Dio when he (Ozzy) started to look into putting his solo band together (for after Sabbath disbanded presumably). Ozzy finishes by stating he was kind of miffed or resentful as he thought that everything had been decided re. the farewell album and tour.

    Ted
    "I have the Black Sabbath Biography book by Chris Welch and I believe in it it's stated by Ozzy that there was supposed to be a 10th Anniversary album and tour by the original BS lineup in 1979; Ozzy goes on to state that after the tour the band would disband and the Black Sabbath name wouldn't be used again by any of the band Members."

    That's quite fascinating info to me! I thought things were already dire for the entirety of the band at the time of Never Say Die!, for both the album recording as well as their tour in support of it IIRC...Billy Underdog previously brought it to my attention that there were sessions ongoing for an album to follow up Never Say Die!...I finally know now what that album was intended to be (assuming that 10th anniversary album was the thing the recording sessions that took place after Never Say Die! were supposed to be for)! I take it that Never Say Die! sold well, alongside revenue gained from their tour in support of Never Say Die! were enough to keep Sabbath afloat at the time, enough for them to hang on for the 10th anniversary album recording sessions followed by the possible release of it and the tour in support for it? My curiosity begs me to know what the album might have sounded like...then again, Billy Underdog also mentioned to me previously that the main riff of Children of the Sea, a song that appeared on Heaven and Hell, and possibly other riffs that ended up on that album as well, also originated from the recording sessions following Never Say Die!...so there are indeed some hints here and there of what the 10th anniversary album might've sounded like that exist publicly :P (If Billy Underdog's story about the Children of the Riff riff and the other riffs that ended up in Heaven and Hell as well indeed originated from the follow up sessions that took place after Never Say Die! is to be believed)

    "Ozzy then states that instead of another album and tour, the rest of the band got together with Dio when he (Ozzy) started to look into putting his solo band together (for after Sabbath disbanded presumably). Ozzy finishes by stating he was kind of miffed or resentful as he thought that everything had been decided re. the farewell album and tour."

    As the other two people I quoted below also expressed, I can also understand Ozzy getting upset over that move (If that story is indeed true)

    Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    Sort of like the Beatles agreeing to disband after recording Let It Be then three of them getting together behind John Lennon's back and deciding to hire Rod Stewart as his replacement... I can understand Ozzy being upset over that move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    So can I.

    Ted
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    ..... "The Straightener" is not a "definite" instrumental for obvious reasons

    ..... "FX" wasn't the throwing of objects , is was a half naked Iommi wearing his crucifix around his neck ,, as the cross bounced off the neck of his guitar - hitting the strings , the drugged out band of 4 got very excited and decided to record an "instrumental" with Iommi's cross being used on the guitar along with an echo effect to cause what you hear ....




    Jesus , Family , Ozzy Era Sabbath ....




    No ....
    "..... "The Straightener" is not a "definite" instrumental for obvious reasons"

    I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd elaborate on why you don't think so...the "obvious reasons" aren't quite obvious to me...aside from one possible one...it might be that it's part of an existing song (at the end of Wheels of Confusion). I'm crazy enough to believe it still counts as an instrumental, even if what I just described (about the instrumental being a part of an existing song not counting as a true instrumental according to you [if that's indeed one of your "obvious reasons"]) is true :P

    "..... "FX" wasn't the throwing of objects , is was a half naked Iommi wearing his crucifix around his neck ,, as the cross bounced off the neck of his guitar - hitting the strings , the drugged out band of 4 got very excited and decided to record an "instrumental" with Iommi's cross being used on the guitar along with an echo effect to cause what you hear ...."

    I forgot on which website/source I read this from as of this time...but IIRC, the story I read on FX's creation did share some similarities with the story you presented me about FX's creation....according to the story on FX's creation that I read previously, what prompted it's creation started with a drugged out Iommi (I think he was drugged out, not sure...he most likely was at the time, and also not sure if he was half naked in this version of the story, like you mentioned in your version of the story) getting startled, yet fascinated when the crucifix he was wearing hit or dropped on his guitar...kind of similar to your version of the story.

    However, where the version of the story that I read up upon differs from yours is that IIRC, the album version was created by Iommi (and possibly the others as well, not sure) throwing random objects at his guitar, since he (and possibly the others as well) were all both fascinated and frightened by the initial incident of the crucifix (in which the crucifix Iommi wore at the time either hitting or dropping on his guitar) after Iommi possibly shared the story with them (assuming Iommi was alone when the initial incident happened, don't remember if according to the version I read he was alone or with any of them at this time), causing him and possibly the others as well to experiment and/or try to either recreate a similar sounding piece or something inspired by it, but not exactly the thing he (Iommi) heard in the initial incident (which involved the crucifix he was wearing at the time either hitting or dropping on his guitar) for their upcoming Vol. 4 album at the time by throwing random objects at his guitar (possibly alongside the other band members as well), with the crucifix possibly being one of said objects (don't remember if that bit crucifix possibly being one of said objects was in the article/source I read a long time ago...if that's true, then that's another similarity with your version of the story hehe!). Something I remember with certainty from the article/source I read a long time ago is that Iommi considered/possibly still considers the piece "a joke of a song" (I think those were the exact words from his quote regarding FX that was included in the article/source I read a long time ago)

    Haha, I'm now not sure which version of the story to believe...I'm leaning towards the version of the story that I read a long time ago, since it does share some similarities with your version, but is more expanded upon...however, if I can get a verifiable source to 100% confirm your version of the story is the true one, I'll gladly eat crow...the confusion!

    "Jesus , Family , Ozzy Era Sabbath ...."

    ...this quote greatly confuses me...I still don't know if that's confirming you aren't big on Ozzy era Sabbath...or if you are indeed big on Ozzy era Sabbath, alongside the other things you mentioned previously as well (Jesus and family)...I think it might be the latter. I'd appreciate it if you can clarify what you meant :P

    "No ...."

    Wow...that's truly impressive to me that you like all Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled (like you said previously :P)...at least for the ones you know. I'm still skeptical that you think you know ALL Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled....to give an example of why I'm skeptical, there's bound to be live Sabbath concerts out there that you possibly never listened to before with some instrumental arrangement/s just for live versions of a song that you didn't know about before...and there's still a chance/chances that if you do indeed discover new instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled from said live concerts...that you'll end up not liking one of them, several of them, or even hating all of them possibly :P
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  28. #28

    Default

    I consider Basically, Embryo, Orchid, FX, and Don't Start (Too Late) to be introductions to the songs that follow. If I didn't, DS(TL) would top my list. That out of the way

    1. Supertzar
    2. Fluff
    3. Rat Salad
    6. Laguna Sunrise
    -7. Breakout
    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

  29. #29
    Kennyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    418

    Default

    1.Fluff
    2.The Straightener
    3.Breakout
    4.Laguna Sunrise

    But my favorite is: E5 150 ,but that's the Dio era.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 07-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.

  30. #30
    turch118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stratford,CT
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post

    Wow...that's truly impressive to me that you like all Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled (like you said previously )...at least for the ones you know. I'm still skeptical that you think you know ALL Sabbath instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled....to give an example of why I'm skeptical, there's bound to be live Sabbath concerts out there that you possibly never listened to before with some instrumental arrangement/s just for live versions of a song that you didn't know about before...and there's still a chance/chances that if you do indeed discover new instrumentals , intros , outros , extras , labeled , titled and untitled from said live concerts...that you'll end up not liking one of them, several of them, or even hating all of them possibly
    Back To Eden (The Doc) is the ultimate Sabbath fanatic and probably the most knowledgeable I know. He owns more Sabbath music than you can believe and he loves it ALL! If you find something not to your liking he will give you ten reasons to change your mind.

    When you have time start reading the thread "The Listen" in the Black Sabbath General category from the beginning (His handle starts out as "Jesus Saves") and you will begin to understand.

  31. #31
    ronn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    Back To Eden (The Doc) is the ultimate Sabbath fanatic and probably the most knowledgeable I know. He owns more Sabbath music than you can believe and he loves it ALL! If you find something not to your liking he will give you ten reasons to change your mind.

    When you have time start reading the thread "The Listen" in the Black Sabbath General category from the beginning (His handle starts out as "Jesus Saves") and you will begin to understand.
    \m/
    he will give you 20 reasons to change your mind

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
    I consider Basically, Embryo, Orchid, FX, and Don't Start (Too Late) to be introductions to the songs that follow. If I didn't, DS(TL) would top my list. That out of the way

    1. Supertzar
    2. Fluff
    3. Rat Salad
    6. Laguna Sunrise
    -7. Breakout
    I consider Basically, Embryo, Orchid, FX, and Don't Start (Too Late) to be introductions to the songs that follow.
    I consider these instrumentals and the songs that follow them simultaneously parts of greater pieces (the two of them combined together can feel like an interconnected greater song) AND separate pieces from eachother...sometimes, I listen to instrumentals or the songs that follow them by themselves, sometimes the both of them in order (instrumental first, song later) like two pieces of a puzzle that fit neatly together :P

    Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    Back To Eden (The Doc) is the ultimate Sabbath fanatic and probably the most knowledgeable I know. He owns more Sabbath music than you can believe and he loves it ALL! If you find something not to your liking he will give you ten reasons to change your mind.

    When you have time start reading the thread "The Listen" in the Black Sabbath General category from the beginning (His handle starts out as "Jesus Saves") and you will begin to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    \m/
    ;) he will give you 20 reasons to change your mind
    Wow...this Doc person sure sounds like they're a legend around here haha! (If I knew that before, I might've hesitated at responding so harshly to them at some points haha)

    10 or 20 reasons to change my mind huh? If I do find something I dislike...I'll perhaps "challenge" them to try to change my mind :P
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  33. #33

    Default

    Does Sleeping Village count as an instrumental. If so, I'd pick that one. If not, Rat Salad or Orchid.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leftytony View Post
    Does Sleeping Village count as an instrumental.
    I would say no, because it starts off with the soft part that has singing/lyrics.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

  35. #35

    Default

    Agreed w/ the above poster re: Sleeping Village not counting as an instrumental. The other two choices you (leftytony) picked are valid choices for this thread I feel!
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

  36. #36

    Default

    I always considered Sleeping Village to be an instrumental because the intro is the only section with vocals in it and also some songs with short vocal sections like TSOP and Do The Hustle are considered instrumentals but if you guys say it doesn't count then I'll go for Orchid.

  37. #37
    ozzyandharriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Scarlet Pimpernel, easily. On a related note I think an instrumental would have helped "13" a great deal and I find it odd that with Rubin wanting them to go back to their roots, he wouldn't demand one for the album. Hell, he essentially asked for a remake of "Planet Caravan", why not an instrumental? One of the strong points of their early records (especially MOR) is the instrumentals yet I have not seen one on a Sab record for awhile. Anyone know off the top of their head which album had the last instrumental?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •