Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Judas Priest Discussion

OK so I figured I'd start this thread here, lets all talk about the Priest! I am trying to complete my discography for them at the moment, currently I own http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Priest-C...ums+collection and it has all the Halford era stuff, including live releases. I just picked up Jugulator and Demolition as well as Live Meltdown and Live in London. Also picked up Epitaph on blu ray, Electric Eye DVD, Live Vengeance 82 DVD, and the Rising in the East DVD. Anything that I am really missing?
    Iommi = Sabbath

Sounds to me like you got everything - only thing would be the DVD Live in London for the Ripper Years live on DVD.

One other thing is the 30th anniversary editions of Screaming & British Steel have bonus DVD's - Screaming has the Us Festival & British Steel has the DVD of the band performing British Steel in it's entirety from 2009 - both these are different from the DVD's you mentioned above & are pretty cool - not sure if the collection you hae has the normal editions or these 30th anniversary editions
    Last edited by kamikazetom; 07-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Just the normal ones, is it worth the upgrade for the DVDs alone?
    Iommi = Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Just the normal ones, is it worth the upgrade for the DVDs alone?
    Yes, but for the British Steel one, make sure to get the Deluxe with both the cd and dvd of the show. Some only have the dvd. I'm working on getting all the stuff too, only missing a few live albums and dvds and the two Ripper albums and Angel of Retribution. Haven't gotten Epitaph yet, but looking forward to it.
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Led Rush View Post
    Yes, but for the British Steel one, make sure to get the Deluxe with both the cd and dvd of the show. Some only have the dvd. I'm working on getting all the stuff too, only missing a few live albums and dvds and the two Ripper albums and Angel of Retribution. Haven't gotten Epitaph yet, but looking forward to it.
    So it's 3 discs total?
    Iommi = Sabbath

I think they are both worth it since it's $13.98 on amazon for the CD + DVD version of British Steel & 14.88 for Screaming - there was a 3 disc version with the second CD being the soundtrack to the DVD - this was a UK import (the 2 disc version is the one released in the US) & not sure how easy it is to find anymore
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Just thought Iīd pop in here, since I am a Judas Priest Fanatic

I personally LOVE the 30th Anniversary BS DVD. It is just fucking amazing from start to finish. I get goose bumps every time I watch it.

I was disappointed with Epitaph. That was the first concert DVD that let me down. I didnīt buy the DVD; I went to see it at a theater.

I decided to order the Anniversary editions mainly for the DVDs as that Screaming For Vengeance DVD looks awesome.
    Iommi = Sabbath

I only like Hell Bent, Screaming, & Defenders... Thats when the band was coolest.. they've really bummed me out ever since Painkiller
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    I only like Hell Bent, Screaming, & Defenders... Thats when the band was coolest.. they've really bummed me out ever since Painkiller
    I could see being bummed out by Jugulator and Demolition (OK albums) but Angel of Retribution is awesome and Nostradamus just needs repeated listens.
    Iommi = Sabbath

When AOR came out I actually cried tears of joy listening to it. I never thought Rob would rejoin Priest. I found out by chance on a computer forum that Rob was back.

I pre ordered the CD and I thought it was (and is) awesome!

When I first heard Nostradamus I wasnīt all that impressed. After a few listens I absolutely love the album. I have listened to it countless times. You MUST listen to the whole album in one sitting to fully appreciate it. Dawn of Creation is an awesome show opener live.

I know I used the word "awesome" too much, but weīre talking about Priest here

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I could see being bummed out by Jugulator and Demolition (OK albums) but Angel of Retribution is awesome and Nostradamus just needs repeated listens.
    Ripper Owens just doesnt do it for me in any band he participates in, whether it be Malmsteen, Charred Walls, or otherwise. Ive given every album attention and felt everything since Turbo has been lackluster (especially Painkiller.. which just boggles my mind why its so widely embraced). Retribution & Nostradamous just irked me with each & every song. I dont like everything Rob has released, but I'm a much bigger fan of Crucible then anything Priest put out in the last 25 years.
    But stuff Like Riding on the Wind, Screaming, Jawbreaker, Eat Me Alive, & esp The Sentinel, are probably their finest work.
    Last edited by devstorm; 07-14-2013 at 04:47 AM.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

For all its importance, influence and popularity, Judas Priest is a band that I have largely never cared about. Iron Maiden (post-Di'Anno) is another that I feel the same way about.

The only Priest I still moderately like are Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, and maybe even Sin After Sin.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Iīm not a big Maiden fan either. Their music isnīt bad; some of the older stuff is very good. I personally think they īre overrated.

Love sad wings of destiny!!!
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Nice to see some Priest banter in the forums. First band I saw 30-odd years ago in the Glasgow Apollo supported by Accept.
    They were brilliant when they toured with Screaming and Defenders but Turbo tripped them up a little, they never even toured the UK that year, I had to go over to Europe to see the daft giant robot stageshow.
    I think Halford left at the right time and to be honest I don't think he should have come back, the recent albums have been by the numbers metal for me, the home crowd seem to agree as well, saw them play an empty hall in Glasgow on the Epitaph tour. KK didn't miss anything.

From Sad Wings to Defenders the albums are awesome and Screaming is one of my favourite albums by anyone ever.

I decided not to go see the Epitaph tour. No KK, no Priest (for me).

I have not regretted my decision. I think they should have called it quits when KK left.

Priest will always be my favorite band, but I couldnīt care less if they bring out a new CD without KK.

Always glad to discuss Judas Priest. Their influence and importance can never be underestimated. Interestingly, I'm not sure I can think of my favorite Priest album although my favorite songs would have to be 'Dissident Aggressor', 'Victim Of Changes', 'The Ripper', and 'Hell Bent For Leather' :all QUINTESSENTIAL Judas Priest! It's almost five years ago to the day ( 8-28-08) I saw the 'Metal Masters' tour ( Judas Priest, Heaven & Hell, ( i.e. BLACK SABBATH!... for all intents and purposes!...), Motorhead, and Testament. I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E! Great thread and comments everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by PTC View Post
    Nice to see some Priest banter in the forums. First band I saw 30-odd years ago in the Glasgow Apollo supported by Accept.
    Cool- this tour was also my first ever gig- the Priest supported by Accept at the Gaumont in Southampton in 1981..!
    Follow mens' eyes, As they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining, Weave the fabric of their dreams...

I LOVE JUDAS PRIEST! Second only to the Mighty Sabbath, check out my top 10 video!

Cool video! Very well made. I could never pick my 10 favorite Priest songs. There are just too many.

I like the Sad Wings Of Destiny album, Priest is a great band always liked them.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Judas Priest is making a comeback with me, I was really into them as a teen, when Rob left I was disappointed, but listening to the Metalogy box set the other day I heard Ripper Owens on Jugulator and he was awesome and the music was heavy, probably heavier than with Rob.

Priest deserves their rightful place as the Metal Gods.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

This is my top ten Judas Priest songs list:

01. Before The Dawn
    02. Future Of Mankind
    03. Beyond The Realms Of Death
    04. Desert Plains
    05. Victim Of Changes
    06. The Hellion/Electric Eye
    07. Angel
    08. Judas Rising
    09. Turbo Lover
    10. Rock Hard Ride Free

My favourite Priest studio album is 'Nostradamus'.

Before The Dawn, was my song back in the day, I love that song, disappointed it wasn't on the Metalogy Box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
    This is my top ten Judas Priest songs list:

01. Before The Dawn
    02. Future Of Mankind
    03. Beyond The Realms Of Death
    04. Desert Plains
    05. Victim Of Changes
    06. The Hellion/Electric Eye
    07. Angel
    08. Judas Rising
    09. Turbo Lover
    10. Rock Hard Ride Free

My favourite Priest studio album is 'Nostradamus'.

70s Priest is unreal.

Some many great tracks/albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Priest Fanatic View Post
    I decided not to go see the Epitaph tour. No KK, no Priest (for me).

I have not regretted my decision. I think they should have called it quits when KK left.

Priest will always be my favorite band, but I couldnīt care less if they bring out a new CD without KK.
    Is this "PriestareGod" from the Quorum speaking???
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

YES! Itīs me.

I guess you are Never Satisfied

I need to get all of Priests albums on CD, too bad they don't have a complete recordings CD Box set.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I need to get all of Priests albums on CD, too bad they don't have a complete recordings CD Box set.
    I had to double check, but I was pretty positive I remember hearing about a comprehensive box set that came last year..

Indeed there is: http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Priest-C...das+priest+box

Oops they dont seem to have the Ripper albums in there.
    Last edited by devstorm; 09-15-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    The only Priest I still moderately like are Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, and maybe even Sin After Sin.
    It seems you only like them if they begin with the letter 'S.'
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Priest-C...priest+box+set

A great deal!!! I'd get it myself if I didn't already have them all except for the newly remastered songs from the first two albums. I'd like to see those get an individual release considering I have all of the other cds and they have been repackaging them over and over again for years now.

I know I am posting in a rather old thread, but I am surpised nobody mentioned the horribleness of the 2001 remasters yet. It is absolutely recommended to get pre 2001 versions of their classic first 12 albums and 2 live albums. The 2001 remasters are the worst remasters I've ever heard... Do yourself a favor and listen to an old CD, you'll never go back to the remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNoseMan View Post
    I know I am posting in a rather old thread, but I am surpised nobody mentioned the horribleness of the 2001 remasters yet. It is absolutely recommended to get pre 2001 versions of their classic first 12 albums and 2 live albums. The 2001 remasters are the worst remasters I've ever heard... Do yourself a favor and listen to an old CD, you'll never go back to the remasters.
    That's a well known issue in the Priest community yet they keep on repackaging those shitty remasters over and over again...Priest has two of the shittiest scumsuckers in the business "managing" them and it has hurt their career tremendously.

My favotire Priest albums are Jugulator and Painkiller.

Painkiller is so dark and heavy and Priest sounds amazing doing music like this.

Jugulator i also love. It actually sounds very much like the logical progression from Painkiller.

In my formative years I got a Castle records Sabbath/Priest compilation album (for the Sabbath tracks) and discovered "The Priest"- they were all songs from the first two albums...sold!

I'm only a casual fan I suppose, but I LOVE the 70's albums.

Priest were the first band I ever saw, well Accept were first really as they were the support in '81, but I loved Priest from the day I bought the Take On The World 7" back in '79 - my first record.

Seen them many times through good and bad and have become ever more disillusioned in recent times. The terrible remasters with rubbish extra tracks and butchered artwork, KK Downing leaving and 300 people turning up for the Epitaph tour in Glasgow are my most recent experiences.

But the memories are good, live at the Glasgow Apollo in '81 and '83, and the return to form on the Ram it Down and Painkiller tours after the patchy Turbo album.

I was even wearing a Screaming for Vengeance shirt today - my favourite Priest album.

If I had to pick my favorite Priest album ( which is nearly impossible) I would probably choose Screaming For Vengeance.

My favorite song is Youīve got anther thing coming.

I saw the Epitaph video at a theater near me. There were 12, yes, twelve people there. It was sad :(

But I will always have their great music and my memories of seeing them 3 times live. GREAT times !

Banned

British Steel was the first Judas Priest album I bought in early 83, and is still my favourite Priest album and in my top 5 all time albums by any band, If you look up Heavy Metal in the dictionary they should have a reference to that album, it's Metal at its purest!!

I then quickly worked backwards and picked up all their previous releases inc Screaming For Vengeance which was their latest album at the time and is also another fave of mine and imo still the best album they've put out in the last 33 years(since British Steel)

I've pretty much enjoyed every album they've done, some a lot more than others but for me the 70's period is the best overall. Along with Sabbath and Maiden, Sad Wings Of Destiny through to British Steel are the best five releases in a row by any band... Period!!

Rob Halford is my all time favourite singer, along with Dio they're the only singers that can literally make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when singing live, and still at his age leaves all others in metal for dead. Love his Halford and Fight releases as well.

PTC I'm truly envious that you got to see them in the 80's particularly with Accept (another fave of mine) It truly sucked growing up a metalhead in Australia in the 80's, we were lucky to get 2 bands a year tour here and sadly Judas Priest only toured here for the first time (with Rob) in 08 on the Nostradamus tour of all tours, which sadly bombed attendance wise, so I doubt they'll ever return here, but better late than never I suppose, and I did get to see them with Ripper in 2001, and and I saw Fight in 94.
    Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 02-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Nostradamus is pretty lousy. I'd love if they had continued in the direction of Painkiller. Brutal, fast, heavy, and dark JP is the best JP.

What do you guys think their upcoming album will sound like? More like Painkiller or pre-Painkiller?