View Poll Results: Which album played live?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black sabbath

11 20.75%
  • Paranoid

2 3.77%
  • Master of reality

8 15.09%
  • Vol.4

5 9.43%
  • Sabbath bloody sabbath

11 20.75%
  • Sabotage

14 26.42%
  • Technical ecstasy

1 1.89%
  • Never say die

1 1.89%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Full album played live?

Imagine black sabbath were all back together and all in their musical prime, and they were gonna do a slayer/Metallica/rush ( can't think of any more) and play a album in it's entirety!!

Which album would you like to hear all the way through LIVE!?!?

Even though it's not my fav, I'd love to hear sabbath bloody sabbath played all the way through,live!
    How freaking awesome would that be!

Second choice would be vol.4 thinking about it, changes would be a total lighter in the air moment!
    Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 07-25-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Well the obvious choice would be an album full of material they haven't done either recently or ever. The first three are all well mined. If they were in their musical prime it would be SBS or Sabotage because they're the only two albums Ozzy is basically locked out of.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - most definitely!!!
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Technical Ecstasy, love that album, other than Dirty Women they don't play many songs off that album live.

I was listening to Exstased In Fresno, a boot Doc gave me, and Gypsy was just awesome, as was All Moving Parts (Stand Still).
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Another great thread Spiral!

Sabbath Bloody is a must. Although Sabotage is so tempting as well.. hard to really choose.

changes would be a total lighter in the air moment!
    Get with the times, spiral Ozzy will accept anything that makes a light.. 40 seconds into the clip he rambles off a whole list of different methods.

The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    Another great thread Spiral!

Sabbath Bloody is a must. Although Sabotage is so tempting as well.. hard to really choose.

Get with the times, spiral Ozzy will accept anything that makes a light.. 40 seconds into the clip he rambles off a whole list of different methods.

Why thank you kind sir, pop round for beers anytime u wish dev

And they wonder why us and uk have such a close relationship... This is why bitches!

Ozzy might be the only rockstar to actually encourage the annoying people who hold their phones up at concerts.

SABOTAGE for me. Without question!! It's probably my favorite album (today )

I think it would be great if they did SBS or Sabotage, but they can't do them justice even if Ozzy's voice was up to it. These albums are way to complicated to do justice live ... you'd have to hire in a string section for Spiral Architect!

I voted Black Sabbath as it's got the whole "where it all started" vibe to it, plus it would be doable and we could get a 20+ minute version of Warning. But I' wouldn't mind Paranoid too although Planet Caravan might cause a problem.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    I think it would be great if they did SBS or Sabotage, but they can't do them justice even if Ozzy's voice was up to it. These albums are way to complicated to do justice live ... you'd have to hire in a string section for Spiral Architect!

I voted Black Sabbath as it's got the whole "where it all started" vibe to it, plus it would be doable and we could get a 20+ minute version of Warning. But I' wouldn't mind Paranoid too although Planet Caravan might cause a problem.
    They have this neato new thing called a keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by 62_SG View Post
    They have this neato new thing called a keyboard...
    That would be cheating ,,, they should do it properly or not at all!!
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    That would be cheating ,,, they should do it properly or not at all!!
    Now you're gonna make Adam Wakeman cry.

Banned

The first one for sure! That album started it all...and they've practically already played Paranoid in it's entirety anyways....hell they do most of it on every show. But the first one...I would love to hear The Warning live....perhaps even as KiloDeltaCharlie said the full 20 minute version, that would be mindblowing.

And the best part is Ozzy could even pull that one off...

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

This should've been a multiple choise, then i'd easily go for the first six, maybe even all eight...
    Man, it was hard. I ofcourse would've loved it if they did Sabotage, i almost voted for MoR too, but for reasons already stated i ended up with the debut.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Sabotage !!! But a more realistic choice is MOR

Realistically the first album. They must play Evil Woman and Wicked World!
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Obviously they can't let Yes beat them, so they must play at least three full albums. Personally I would want them to:

Open with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Continue with Vol. 4
    End with Paranoid

Paranoid is not a favorite among the first 8, but if they didn't play it they'd have to add alot of songs from it as crowdpleasers anyway... plus I'd like to hear PC :D

Voting SBS here.

for those interested, Yes are currently on a world tour with the whole "The Yes Album", "Close to the Edge" and "Going for the One" albums. They did a similar thing back in 1973 with the double album "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and "Close to the Edge".
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

It's always been my dream that they would play Sabotage live - even bringing out the choir for Supertzar. Imagine... Blow on a Jug would be the encore!!
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Unrealistic poll. You won't ever see anything from SBS or Sabotage played live ever again. Not with vocals, anyway.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Am I the only one who wanted to vote for 13 but couldn't?

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Unrealistic poll. You won't ever see anything from SBS or Sabotage played live ever again. Not with vocals, anyway.
    Hence the "If they were all in their prime" stipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by 62_SG View Post
    Hence the "If they were all in their prime" stipulation.
    , I should of stated more that it's a purely fantasy poll. Cheers dude.

It would be cool if they played all dozen songs from "13" maybe they could pick a small venue for hard core fans and charge a premium to make it financially worthwhile to the band. I wouldn't mind paying double or triple the price of a regular ticket to see this. They couldn't tour on this but perhaps select four or five small venues. Another idea would be to play obscure songs never played before that are still within Ozzy's range and charge like $500 a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    It would be cool if they played all dozen songs from "13" maybe they could pick a small venue for hard core fans and charge a premium to make it financially worthwhile to the band. I wouldn't mind paying double or triple the price of a regular ticket to see this. They couldn't tour on this but perhaps select four or five small venues. Another idea would be to play obscure songs never played before that are still within Ozzy's range and charge like $500 a ticket.
    I like both of those ideas.
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Looks like 13 might get played in it's entirety:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...sabbath-album/

Cool... Iommi: "“As far as the whole album – we haven’t tried that yet, but I’d be up for doing the whole thing.

“That’s how we recorded it, so that’s how we can play it. It’s an album that’s not impossible to do; we didn’t go into the studio and put loads of stuff on. Is is live, so we could go on and play any of those songs.”

That would never happen (and I'm not in favor of it).

If you've seen the JP British Steel Tour DVD you'd understand. (They missed out on a lot of great tunes but still a great show. In fact, a must-have DVD.)
    Get yourself afraid, Get yourself alone, Get yourself contained, Get yourself control - Soundgarden

Hmm...tough question! I'll go with 'Master Of Reality'. It really was a hybrid of the very best elements of the first two albums while simultaneously moving forward yet they didn't lose sight of what made Black Sabbath great in the first place!

However, it bears repeating: I would only want them to play it in it's entirety if ALL FOUR ORIGINAL MEMBERS are present! No further comment necessary. .... Thanks BSO.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    Am I the only one who wanted to vote for 13 but couldn't?
    I wanted to vote for 13 as well.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
    I wanted to vote for 13 as well.
    Then you might be in luck. Check the following:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...sabbath-album/

I doubt BS would ever do that, besides, IMO, a band is cheating their fans by playing a whole album... people don't want to hear a new album in it's entirety... heck, most don't even want to hear a new song... I think a band doing that, a whole album is a little self indulgent... you'll never see that happen with BS, despite the question being posed to Iommi, he just answered it by saying "maybe", ain't gonna happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    I doubt BS would ever do that, besides, IMO, a band is cheating their fans by playing a whole album... people don't want to hear a new album in it's entirety... heck, most don't even want to hear a new song... I think a band doing that, a whole album is a little self indulgent... you'll never see that happen with BS, despite the question being posed to Iommi, he just answered it by saying "maybe", ain't gonna happen...
    Screw that man, the artist should play what they want to play. If someone buys a ticket and doesn't like the show then they won't buy a ticket next year. One can't keep chasing the casual/mainstream audience and keep one's dignity for long, much better to do your thing and hope that enough people like it. That's the kind of thinking that bands like Sabbath started with.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)

My first album!!!:

Artists who ingnore their audience end up playing to chairs and tables... BS doesn't have to play a full album, they're playing 3 or 4 new songs which by any calculation (check out other bands..) is alot.. and their playing a good representation of their catalog... call 'em hits (BS doesn't have "hits") or whatever you want to call them... sure they could go your route and you and your couple dozen friends can have a good time seeing them down at the pub...

Artists who ingnore their audience end up playing to chairs and tables... BS doesn't have to play a full album, they're playing 3 or 4 new songs which by any calculation (check out other bands..) is alot.. and their playing a good representation of their catalog... call 'em hits (BS doesn't have "hits") or whatever you want to call them... sure they could go your route and you and your couple dozen friends can have a good time seeing them down at the pub...
    Yeah since other bands are selling out it's totally OK...

No but really, I get your point. It isn't as obvious as I want it to be, either you can dedicate yourself completely to the art, completely to the market, or try some kind of middle-way. But this is one of the reasons that makes me look more forward to at least one pub gig this fall than Black Sabbath. That and the fact that I like smaller gigs more... and that Sabbath are a nostalgia band today... Anyway, no they are not playing a good representation of their catalog, but I guess they are trying the best they can given Ozzy's restrictions.

Now, I'm not saying Sabbath are playing "Paranoid", "War Pigs" and "Iron Man" only or even partly because they want to play as big venues as possible. It is quite possible that they are playing exactly the setlist they want to, again given the restrictions on Ozzy's voice. I'm just saying that if a band wants to play one album as a whole (or in Yes's case three) then they should do it. In Yes's case the fans aren't fleeing either btw, sure it's a different kind of crowd but still. I do agree on your opinion that if Sabbath would do the same, or even play one album as a whole, they would lose lots of casual fans, at least way more than Yes eventually did on the current tour.

My first album!!!:

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    Yeah since other bands are selling out it's totally OK...

No but really, I get your point. It isn't as obvious as I want it to be, either you can dedicate yourself completely to the art, completely to the market, or try some kind of middle-way. But this is one of the reasons that makes me look more forward to at least one pub gig this fall than Black Sabbath. That and the fact that I like smaller gigs more... and that Sabbath are a nostalgia band today... Anyway, no they are not playing a good representation of their catalog, but I guess they are trying the best they can given Ozzy's restrictions.

Now, I'm not saying Sabbath are playing "Paranoid", "War Pigs" and "Iron Man" only or even partly because they want to play as big venues as possible. It is quite possible that they are playing exactly the setlist they want to, again given the restrictions on Ozzy's voice. I'm just saying that if a band wants to play one album as a whole (or in Yes's case three) then they should do it. In Yes's case the fans aren't fleeing either btw, sure it's a different kind of crowd but still. I do agree on your opinion that if Sabbath would do the same, or even play one album as a whole, they would lose lots of casual fans, at least way more than Yes eventually did on the current tour.
    I wouldn't classify BS as a nostalgia band, on the heels of a new #1 album and tour? Besides these guys didn't just reunite yesterday, they've been playing regularly with eachother and apart for over 40 years... hey, if Ozzy and Geez are up for it, they might do it, because Iommi said he's open to it...

I wouldn't classify BS as a nostalgia band, on the heels of a new #1 album and tour? Besides these guys didn't just reunite yesterday, they've been playing regularly with eachother and apart for over 40 years... hey, if Ozzy and Geez are up for it, they might do it, because Iommi said he's open to it...
    You don't think nostalgia sells? I am quite confident it does, "13" is one example of that imo, but if you don't agree that they are a nostalgia band then that hardly says anything now does it? I know they have been playing regularly with eachother and apart for 40 years, I just don't see that they are wishing to take their sound any further, and they keep playing setlists as if they were "greatest hits" albums (ok fine, "Under the Sun" was a surprise, to me at least), so I think of them as a nostalgia band. A really good one, probably the best there is, but still. The only thing I think is not that nostalgic is the way too "loud" production of "13", everything else is just good old 70s Sabbath, the band we all love back together minus one.

My first album!!!:

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    Hmm...tough question! I'll go with 'Master Of Reality'. It really was a hybrid of the very best elements of the first two albums while simultaneously moving forward yet they didn't lose sight of what made Black Sabbath great in the first place!

However, it bears repeating: I would only want them to play it in it's entirety if ALL FOUR ORIGINAL MEMBERS are present! No further comment necessary. .... Thanks BSO.
    MoR is the best bet for a full album for sure. Aside from Solitude they've played all of the songs since the first Reunion and the whole album is only half an hour.

I picked Sabotage. I love that album. But as Ozzy struggles with the classics I know there is no chance of him ever being able to pull this off.

You don't think nostalgia sells? I am quite confident it does, "13" is one example of that imo, but if you don't agree that they are a nostalgia band then that hardly says anything now does it? I know they have been playing regularly with eachother and apart for 40 years, I just don't see that they are wishing to take their sound any further, and they keep playing setlists as if they were "greatest hits" albums (ok fine, "Under the Sun" was a surprise, to me at least), so I think of them as a nostalgia band. A really good one, probably the best there is, but still. The only thing I think is not that nostalgic is the way too "loud" production of "13", everything else is just good old 70s Sabbath, the band we all love back together minus one.
    It's interesting that when they genuinely were a progressive band (at the end of the 70s) people stopped buying their records. The progression from MOR to NSD is astonishing.

People started buying their records again when they became a pretty standard HR/HM band, i.e. H&H.

Recording a new album, which went #1 by the way, is NOT nostalgia, look up the definition if it helps...