Default Ozzy, Geezer and the 'Thunder Underground'

This song is fantastic.. and the lyrics are what I consider to be some of Geezer's finest. From the Ozzmosis album..

Thunder Underground. How did Geezer happen to write such a perfect 'Sabbathy' song for an Ozzy solo record?

Your thoughts are compromising
    Self-centered, patronizing
    Your image supersedes your soul

You find me mystifying
    Subhuman, so annoying
    You can't have me under control

You think you live forever
    You don't find that profound
    You won't think you're so clever

When you hear thunder underground, all right now

Your morbid fear of losing
    Destroys the lives you're using
    You only have one point of view

The stigma of delusion
    Confirms your self illusion
    And after all this could be you

When you hear thunder underground, here we go now

Could it be that I have found my mind or have I gone insane?
    Roller coaster of the madness and there's only me to blame
    The ever faithful hand of doom will take the pain away
    I'll never know the answer to it all 'til my dying day

Your bullshit culture licking
    Can't stop the deathwatch ticking
    You're only mortal after all

Your appetite for power
    Subverts your every hour
    But every time the mighty fall

When you hear thunder underground, Here we go now
    "...live for today, tomorrow never comes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Insanity View Post
    This song is fantastic.. and the lyrics are what I consider to be some of Geezer's finest. From the Ozzmosis album..

Thunder Underground. How did Geezer happen to write such a perfect 'Sabbathy' song for an Ozzy solo record?

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-IHMw2zpEQ

Your thoughts are compromising
    Self-centered, patronizing
    Your image supersedes your soul

You find me mystifying
    Subhuman, so annoying
    You can't have me under control

When you hear thunder underground, all right now

Your morbid fear of losing
    Destroys the lives you're using
    You only have one point of view

The stigma of delusion
    Confirms your self illusion
    And after all this could be you

When you hear thunder underground, here we go now

Could it be that I have found my mind or have I gone insane?
    Roller coaster of the madness and there's only me to blame
    The ever faithful hand of doom will take the pain away
    I'll never know the answer to it all 'til my dying day

Your bullshit culture licking
    Can't stop the deathwatch ticking
    You're only mortal after all

Your appetite for power
    Subverts your every hour
    But every time the mighty fall

When you hear thunder underground, Here we go now
    There are a lot of people here that just hate everything Ozzy solo. Even if the song was written by geezer in the flavour of Sabbath they still won't like it. People are weird

Theres a few songs I love from this album (And some that I absolutely can't stand). This one is okay (imo), although for my testes I dont like Ozzy's voice on this track so much. The riffs and the playing are cool, but the vocal approach kinda kills the vibe for me.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    There are a lot of people here that just hate everything Ozzy solo. Even if the song was written by geezer in the flavour of Sabbath they still won't like it. People are weird
    Oh yes - the song is disliked by some fans because it's an Ozzy song, and Sabbath fans hate Ozzy, right? Uhhh... No. Nice try though at ignoring valid reasons for why someone may not like something. I dislike the album because of the production and Zakk's guitar playing. The lyrics are great for the most part.

I think it's a good heavy song, but like many songs on Ozzmosis, it feels a little long and drawn out to me. It's hard to say whether this is because of this individual song or because of the structure of the album as a whole (basically ten slow 5-6 minute songs). What I mean is that Thunder Underground might not feel overlong to me if it was sandwiched between faster or shorter songs.

Are these Geezer's lyrics by the way? I don't think the album credits specify who wrote the music and who wrote the lyrics. Has somebody said that in an interview perhaps?

Ozzmosis is my favourite Ozzy record, just cause it's so heavy and dark.

I don't think this sounds Sabbathy though, more Geezery and very reminiscent of his Plastic Planet album.

Banned

I hate the Ozzmosis album but it does have two amazing tracks on it Perry Mason and Thunder Underground. Both I'd rank among Ozzy's finest tracks....

And yes this one has a very strong Sabbath vibe to it. Geezer's writing it brilliant on this one...the lyrics are great. I wonder how much of the music is his as well...Great song for sure!
    Last edited by Charger; 08-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I hate the Ozzmosis album but it does have to amazing tracks on it Perry Mason and Thunder Underground. Both I'd rank among Ozzy's finest tracks....

And yes this one has a very strong Sabbath vibe to it. Geezer's writing it brilliant on this one...the lyrics are great. I wonder how much of the music is his as well...Great song for sure!

Thunder Underground and My Jekyll Doesn't Hide are the only tracks that Geezer helps write. Two of the best on the album though for sure.

Great track off of Ozzy's most underrated record of his solo career. Ozzy was pushed so hard vocally on these sessions and his vocals are about the best of his career. The songwriting is deep and the lyrics hit me on an emotional level as I really relate to See You On The Other Side, My Little Man and Ghost Behind My Eyes.

Thunder Underground is incredibly heavy and doomy.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Ozzy was pushed so hard vocally on these sessions and his vocals are about the best of his career.
    Agree 100% He might sing higher on this album than he did any other solo album of his career. Thunder Underground comes to mind for that also.

Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    Agree 100% He might sing higher on this album than he did any other solo album of his career. Thunder Underground comes to mind for that also.
    What I wouldn't give to be in the studio when he was belting out "Waiting to die for the very first time cause I think it's my time" from My Jekyll Doesn't Hide. That vocal still gives me chills to this day.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KyotoCarl View Post
    Ozzmosis is my favourite Ozzy record, just cause it's so heavy and dark.

I don't think this sounds Sabbathy though, more Geezery and very reminiscent of his Plastic Planet album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Great track off of Ozzy's most underrated record of his solo career. Ozzy was pushed so hard vocally on these sessions and his vocals are about the best of his career. The songwriting is deep and the lyrics hit me on an emotional level as I really relate to See You On The Other Side, My Little Man and Ghost Behind My Eyes.

Thunder Underground is incredibly heavy and doomy.
    Both very well said. My love for Ozzmosis cannot be overstated. Glad to see I'm not the only one that shares it as a favorite!
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Ozzmosis and No more Tears are Ozzy's peak.
    His most perfect albums.
    His voice is supernatural !!

I was 15 whent then came out and had only been listening to Ozzy or Sabbath for 2 or 3 years. But I remember even then thinking how Sabbathy this track is. And the "here we go now" and "all right now" were pure Sabbath.

Ozzmosis is my favourite Ozzy album !! The singing is unreal, his best for sure !

Yes indeed, my favourite Ozzy record as well. Tomorrow, Thunder Underground, Perry Mason, I Just Want You... fantastic songs. I love See You On the Other Side, too. Such a beautiful ballad. The version on Prince of Darkness is just perfect, man.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    This one is okay (imo), although for my testes I dont like Ozzy's voice on this track so much.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. My testicles don't like Abba.
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.