Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath

Default Black Sabbath

I thought I'd mention this, This week on my long drives to work I've been listening to other bands other than Sabbath. Judas Priest which I really enjoyed, Ripper Owens one of the few times I've heard him did a pretty good job in Priest and the music remained heavy if not heavier than with Halford, but no one can replace Halford. Also listened to some Zeppelin which I like very much.

I've come to the conclusion, that nothing does it for me other than Sabbath, Sabbath is the only worth while and only music that I truly enjoy and feel good when I listen to it, I get almost a homesick feeling when I go awhile without listening to Sabbath.

Does anyone else here feel the same?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I thought I'd mention this, This week on my long drives to work I've been listening to other bands other than Sabbath. Judas Priest which I really enjoyed, Ripper Owens one of the few times I've heard him did a pretty good job in Priest and the music remained heavy if not heavier than with Halford, but no one can replace Halford. Also listened to some Zeppelin which I like very much.

I've come to the conclusion, that nothing does it for me other than Sabbath, Sabbath is the only worth while and only music that I truly enjoy and feel good when I listen to it, I get almost a homesick feeling when I go awhile without listening to Sabbath.

For me it changes. Right now Sabbath are number 1, but a year ago it was Pink Floyd, and a year before that it was Led Zeppelin. I used to try and name a favorite band, and then never allow myself to deviate out of loyalty, but now I let a natural succession take place in terms of who sits at number one. I find this works for me, and the rotation takes a very natural course. Zeppelin has been climbing the ladder again lately, but Sabbath are still holding number one. In general, I love all of my favorite bands with equal passion, but the number one spot changes occasionally. My favorites are all so good that it really comes down to splitting hairs as to whether any band is actually better than another; usually it comes down to what flavor appeals to me more at any given moment.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 08-31-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

100% understand!! Yes, I feel the same way. When you said "homesick" that was the line that I went "Yeap" At work other people can hear my music so sometimes I am like "well.... imma play something different." But it just doesn't do it for me. Usually I put my IPod on random. Just yesterday I was thinking something similar to your post cause LONER came on my Ipod. Like I said I had it on random. All of a sudden my foot is tapping. I got that little bounce. Then I thought to myself.. "Wow, it's been almost 3 months and this is still all I really wanna listen to."

Great timing on your post as it comes to me. I feel ya.

It's like you are listening to something other than Sabbath because you feel like you should. Not because you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    For me it changes. Right now Sabbath are number 1, but a year ago it was Pink Floyd, and a year before that it was Led Zeppelin. I used to try and name a favorite band, and then never allow myself to deviate out of loyalty, but now I let a natural succession take place in terms of who sits at number one. I find this works for me, and the rotation takes a very natural course. Zeppelin has been climbing the ladder again lately, but Sabbath are still holding number one. In general, I love all of my favorite bands with equal passion, but the number one spot changes occasionally.
    For me it is only Sabbath NID, I do listen to other bands here and there, but for me it has to be Sabbath, whether it is with Ozzy or Dio.

It is like a life long love affair with Sabbath.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

For me it is only Sabbath NID, I do listen to other bands here and there, but for me it has to be Sabbath, whether it is with Ozzy or Dio.

It is like a life long love affair with Sabbath.
    Ya, I get that. I used to be that way about Zeppelin for about 20 years. Now I just try to enjoy what I enjoy, if that makes any sense. In that regard, Sabbath sits at number 1 today, but I would anticipate that this will change again in the future, but I still love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Ya, I get that. I used to be that way about Zeppelin for about 20 years. Now I just try to enjoy what I enjoy, if that makes any sense. In that regard, Sabbath sits at number 1 today, but I would anticipate that this will change again in the future, but I still love them all.
    I hear ya NID, it's all good.

I hear ya NID, it's all good.
    I can't see Sabbath getting displaced anytime soon. I am really enjoying the various aspects of their catalogue, and the various eras.....and I am trying to round up some of the vinyl albums that I haven't go in my collection yet, and that always keeps me engaged. Sabbath brother!

I'm more on the train with OID. I'm 33 now. Since I was about 11 or 12 years old its been all OZZY all the time for me. Solo or Sabbath, it didn't matter as long as Ozzy was on it. I have a personal connection that I can't explain.

Doesn't mean I don't love other artist. I listen to all styles of music. But Listening to Ozzy's voice is like coming home for me.

Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    I'm more on the train with OID. I'm 33 now. Since I was about 11 or 12 years old its been all OZZY all the time for me. Solo or Sabbath, it didn't matter as long as Ozzy was on it. I have a personal connection that I can't explain.

Doesn't mean I don't love other artist. I listen to all styles of music. But Listening to Ozzy's voice is like coming home for me.
    Axeman it has always been this way for me, I'm 43 yrs old and since discovering Sabbath through Ozzy solo, they have been my passion since I was 16.

I listen to other artists as well, but I have to get my fix of Sabbath and most of the time it is only Sabbath, to the point where my girl says don't you get tired of listening to the same thing over and over again? And I say no, is there anything else to listen to? and she shakes here head and walks away, lol.

Axeman it has always been this way for me, I'm 43 yrs old and since discovering Sabbath through Ozzy solo, they have been my passion since I was 16.

I listen to other artists as well, but I have to get my fix of Sabbath and most of the time it is only Sabbath, to the point where my girl says don't you get tired of listening to the same thing over and over again? And I say no, is there anything else to listen to? and she shakes here head and walks away, lol.
    Haha. My wife got mad at me 2 weeks ago for listening to Tyr three times in a row while we were making preserves in the kitchen all day.....and, I mean really annoyed. Party pooper!

I also played In Through the Out Door, so its not like there wasn't some variety.

Sabbath has been my favorite band since I was 6 years old. I never go more than a day or two without listening to Sabbath. Or at least some Ozzy solo stuff. No other band have I been as loyal to.
    Life Member of the NRA

I dont really pick a #1 band per sey. I go through extreme phases where I'll dig deep into a bands catalogue for a month or so. However it always seems to happen that what I bounce back into between these binges is Sabbath. I usually have my mp3 player loaded with a lot of diverse variety. I might have a series of Orchestral Film soundtracks, some power pop, 70's prog, 90's electronic or some oddball 80's New wave band, some Jazz, some death metal, thrash, alternative & punk. I like to mix it up a lot. These selection all change based on my mood, but what never seems to change is I ALWAYS have the 1st 8 Sabbath albums on there ( & some Dio as well) to play at a moments notice. That never seems to change.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

I know that feel. Years ago when I began listening to metal, Metallica was my favourite. But after traveling around the genres I found out I was hooked by Sabbath. Until now Sabbath is still my favourite. Even though there's lots of amazing bands and musicians but Sabbath never leaves my mind.
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Black Sabbath is like no other band, sometimes I listen strictly to the Ozzy era, and sometimes I get into the Dio era, at times I'll just play the Born Again album over and over again.

When Fall sets in, for some odd reason I mostly get into the debut album, maybe it's the cover that sets the mood? Who knows. One thing is for sure there is some Sabbath for every mood.

At times I reflect back to when I was growing up as teenager fondly, and Sabbath was always there. I never got mixed up with trends, some got into whatever was popular at the moment, whether it was glam, Thrash, Black Metal, Death metal, or Hardcore Punk, for me it was always Sabbath or Ozzy solo as my primary music.

I became intertwined with Sabbath growing up, their music seemed to speak out to me and blended with what I felt and was going through as a young man growing up.

Sabbath just felt and feels natural, I feel like I am one with Sabbath, if that makes sense and doesn't sound too corny.

Sometimes I'm listening to a certain Sabbath record and I can visualize places, moments and situations I went through when I was coming up in the world, just as if they were clear as day, and that brings back good feelings and memories.

Black Sabbath is just so special and dear to me, while I listen to other bands, no other band strikes those youthful, good and sometimes heartbreaking moments we all go through in life, because I'd be lying if I said all my teenage years were great and happy, but whatever the moment and feeling Sabbath was always there to comfort me through the sad times and enlighten me through the happy times.

Black Sabbath was, is and always shall be my band!

No. Not at all. Sabbath is historically my favorite band but I love hundreds of other bands/Artists. Priest, Maiden, Misfits ,Bowie, PJ Harvey, Deep Purple, Cream, Yardbirds, Motorhead, Hawkwind,In Flames, Rotting Christ, Marvin Gaye, The Saints, The Damned, TSOL. I could go on and on. It would be sad if I could only listen to the "first 8" for the rest of my life. It would be like only eating Pizza ( my favorite food) from here on out. I would try, real hard, to broaden my horizons if I was stuck eating only Pizza.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

As much as I have hugely loved Black Sabbath--and still do (i.e. overwhelmingly the Ozzy-era), I honestly cannot say that I've ever felt BS were my favourite, much less anything like my #1 band. For too long now, I have listened to and loved countless rock/metal (and other genre) bands, to realistically settle on a stand-alone, all-time favourite. And to be totally honest, I'm sure I like tons of bands more than I do Sabbath. Which is saying a whole lot actually, since I know how Sabbath remains an extraordinary, enduring passion of mine. That said, if push came to shove, and if forced to name just one band that continues to have a very distinct, almost peerless place in my heart, it has to be Van Halen.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    As much as I have hugely loved Black Sabbath--and still do (i.e. overwhelmingly the Ozzy-era), I honestly cannot say that I've ever felt BS were my favourite, much less anything like my #1 band. For too long now, I have listened to and loved countless rock/metal (and other genre) bands, to realistically settle on a stand-alone, all-time favourite. And to be totally honest, I'm sure I like tons of bands more than I do Sabbath. Which is saying a whole lot actually, since I know how Sabbath remains an extraordinary, enduring passion of mine. That said, if push came to shove, and if forced to name just one band that continues to have a very distinct, almost peerless place in my heart, it has to be Van Halen.
    You're a good guy RLP4ever, keep true to your band brother, kudos to you for doing so!

I like loyal fans, that's the way it should be and says a lot about a man.

I know this feeling. Sabbath is the benchmark to me, so every time I try to listen to other bands, I end listening to a Sabbath song or an entire album.
    Do you see a vision of a perfect place? Does it make you laugh, put a smile on your face?

For me listening to sabbath is like putting on a pair of really comfy slippers.

Sure I may buy fancy shoes or trainers from time to time but nothing beats the comfy slippers!
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post

I know exactly what ya mean, ever since I heard my friends older brother's copy of Master of Reality back in 1979 I've always loved Ozzy's voice, and I've bought everything he's ever recorded, solo or Sabbath, I find it hard to explain really, its just a connection I get. Don't get me wrong I love other bands but nothing compares to Ozzy in my eyes.
    First time I saw him live was in October 1980 in my hometown in Hull, and I've seen him at least once on every UK Tour he's done since, usually travelling far and wide, as well as a good few festival appearances, sometimes he's been great and other times he's been crap but I always come back for more 'cos his music has always given me more pleasure than any other artist.
    I remember when I met my then future wife back in 1994 and I was explaining to her my love of Ozzy and how many times I'd seen him, and all my collection of albums, cd's, video's, bootlegs, etc and she just didnt get it, and she still doesnt haha. I remember getting my ticket for the 1995 Ozzmosis (Retirement Sucks) Tour and she was saying "Youve seen him loads of times why do ya wanna see him again" and I was like "Well he's getting older now and this might be the last time I get to see him live" haha I'm still saying that to her nearly 20yrs later. Since then I've seen him either solo or with Sabbath in '96, '97, '98, 99, '01, '02, '05, '07' '10, and '12 and due to see him and Sabbath in December, its a standing joke in our house now when I come out with the same lines every couple of years when he tours haha.
    There's no-one like him out there, and when the day comes that he's no longer with us, well, it doesnt bear thinking about, I just hope thats a long way off.
    Do you believe a word what the good book says?
    Or is it just a holy fairytale and God is Dead?

For me, Ozzy era Black Sabbath has always been #1, with Ozzy solo my #2. I also like other bands, but I play Black Sabbath the loudest. I heard Into the Void on the way to work this morning on Ozzy's Boneyard on Sirius/XM radio. That is a great way to start the day!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    For me, Ozzy era Black Sabbath has always been #1, with Ozzy solo my #2. I also like other bands, but I play Black Sabbath the loudest. I heard Into the Void on the way to work this morning on Ozzy's Boneyard on Sirius/XM radio. That is a great way to start the day!
    The original Sabbath has always been number one with me and always will be, Sabbath sometimes is like a time machine to me, it takes me back to places and moments in my past, as does Ozzy solo.

Dio/Sabbath continues that romance, and the Gillan/Sabbath album adds to the affair, how special this band and their music is to me, no one will truly ever know and understand, some on here might, but the people around me never will.

When I use the word love with Black Sabbath, I mean it in every sense of the word and what it signifies, love that I feel in my heart. Like when I saw Sabbath this past August, I was just so filled with emotion, like one feels when he sees a loved one he hasn't seen in awhile.

Call me crazy, but that is Black Sabbath to me, a dear and loved one.

At one time B.S. and the guys solo stuff was my one and only. But as time came around the band Blackfoot gives B.S. and things a good 2nd runner up.
    Pain and Poison Roses

When I was a kid Sabbath was all I listened to, when I was about 8 to 12. Obviously got into other bands but they re the one I always come back to!

Quote Originally Posted by spreadshiswings View Post
    When I was a kid Sabbath was all I listened to, when I was about 8 to 12. Obviously got into other bands but they re the one I always come back to!
    I love reading comments like this, Black Sabbath is special to a lot of people.

My mates were into Blur and Oasis who were big at the time, but I used to take my 3 pound a week pocket money and head into town on a weekend with my mum and could usually get one vinyl a week, or save up for 2 weeks to get a more expensive one. These days, kids can listen to any song they want whenever they want in a click. I think it was better to maybe have to save up and wait for it. It was more exciting then.

My mates were into Blur and Oasis who were big at the time, but I used to take my 3 pound a week pocket money and head into town on a weekend with my mum and could usually get one vinyl a week, or save up for 2 weeks to get a more expensive one. These days, kids can listen to any song they want whenever they want in a click. I think it was better to maybe have to save up and wait for it. It was more exciting then.
    It sure was! Twice a month I took the bus downtown, and bought myself a record or two. The 1 hour bus ride home was spent looking at album covers and anticipating the drop of the needle. Great times, and great memories.

I think it was better to maybe have to save up and wait for it. It was more exciting then.
    That's how I did, saved my money from the part-time I had at a Pizza Parlor, I worked at after school, though I didn't have a turntable, so I bought cassettes.

It was exciting every week going to buy a Sabbath record, every record was like wow, how did these guys come up with this music, I was 16 back in 1986, and Sabbath's record was released when I was born, I was in love with Sabbath and Ozzy, to this very day I have those same feelings.

Crazy isn't it?

Man the memories are great, feels like yesterday.

Been listening to a lot of Dio/Sabbath lately, and it's so phenomenal. Dio was a presence and a entity in Sabbath, he reflected so much of his talent and aura upon the band when he was in it, from Heaven And Hell, to The Devil You Know, he just had so much to offer and did.

The man along with Tony, Geezer, Bill and Vinnie was a genius.

How special is this band of ours? I get up every morning especially on the weekends when I have more time, to sit at my computer, and read and write about this great band, the only band that has ever had such a positive and emotional effect on me.

I love reading what others think and feel about this great band of ours, whatever your era preference, Black Sabbath is Black Sabbath, and that makes it very special and one of a kind.

Just thought I'd share that with our readers and members on this great forum, Joe provides for us, I get filled with that much happiness and inspiration when talking and discussing Sabbath, that I must let everyone know.

I listen to Sabbath every day. They are by far my favorite band and sometimes my passion for them can lead to zealotry and seem a bit illogical. The original era is what I fell in love with but I have grown to love all the other stuff as well. The last coupla days I've been rockin my ipod complete Sabbath disog playlist in random play. It will bounce from Ozzy to Dio to Martin era songs it's been kinda fun. I'm totally an album guy so it's kinda strange hearing the songs like this. It's like Black Sabbath radio.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

I was just thinking we on this forum have a lot of different takes on things, we disagree a lot, whether it be our views on politics or the different Sabbath eras, which I love them all, one thing we all have in common and agree on is our love for Black Sabbath.

Been my #1 band sense I first heard them in 1972. One oddity of mine is this:
    I do not listen to Sabbath every day. The reason is because they are the
    only band that when I listen, I must hear the entire album start to finish. Never
    1 or 2 songs. Therefore, if I know I won't have the time to play the whole album,
    I wait. It has always been that way.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Strangely, I don't listen to much music in general anymore... except in my car, but mainly the radio on low... once in a while a CD usually something I mixed... i rarely listen to Sabbath even though they are my favorite band... the music is imbedded in my DNA, I don't have to play it...

If I do listen to music, it's something new I've discovered... and not usally hard rock or certainly not metal, I know I'm a minority here, but heavy metal isn't my kind of music... that may sound strange coming from a Sab freak, but I'd rather listen to acoustic music or blues... blusey jazz... I have no desire to listen to Sabbath records I've heard 1,000 times or any others... haven't listened to 13 in months...
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 02-10-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Strangely, I don't listen to much music in general anymore... except in my car, but mainly the radio on low... once in a while a CD usually something I mixed... i rarely listen to Sabbath even though they are my favorite band... the music is imbedded in my DNA, I don't have to play it... If I do listen to music, it's something new I've discovered... and not usally hard rock or certainly not metal, I know I'm a minority here, but heavy metal isn't my kind of music... that may sound strange coming from a Sab freak, but I'd rather listen to acoustic music or blues... blusey jazz... I have no desire to listen to Sabbath records I've heard 1,000 times or any others... haven't listened to 13 in months...
    I'm not a fan of metal per-se. I like all different kinds of music. A few years ago I tried to get into iron maiden and Judas Priest and I just couldn't

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Strangely, I don't listen to much music in general anymore... except in my car, but mainly the radio on low... once in a while a CD usually something I mixed... i rarely listen to Sabbath even though they are my favorite band... the music is imbedded in my DNA, I don't have to play it...
    It's exactly the same with me. Exept i do listen to Metal every now and then. And i don't drive a car, but i use my mp3-player heavily when taking a bus or a train. And every now and then i put on a Sabbath-album when i'm going to sleep...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    I'm not a fan of metal per-se. I like all different kinds of music. A few years ago I tried to get into iron maiden and Judas Priest and I just couldn't
    Ditto! I don't personally consider Sabbath to be heavy metal. When I first heard them, back in the day, they were known as heavy rock, along with Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and others. Like WC, I don't listen to my favorite groups all of the time, and that is because I am so familiar with their music, and want it to be a treat. Over exposure can ruin a love for a group. Most metal is terrible IMHO, but that's a generational thing.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 02-10-2014 at 10:39 AM.

In my mind the first proper "metal" album was Judas Priest's British Steel. The style changed from Killing Machine which had a bit of swing and groove to some of the tracks where BS was more square sounding, very exact or defined, very hard to put into words what I mean. It's like Priest shrugged off the remaining blues influences and became metal.

Anyway, Sabbath? Not metal until 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    And every now and then i put on a Sabbath-album when i'm going to sleep...
    No way I could sleep after a session with Sabbath. I'd be too pumped up and
    full of energy.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    No way I could sleep after a session with Sabbath. I'd be too pumped up and
    full of energy.
    It really depends on the mood. Sometimes Sabbath can be the perfect lullaby to sail away to dreamland by.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr