Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by PTC View Post
    In my mind the first proper "metal" album was Judas Priest's British Steel. The style changed from Killing Machine which had a bit of swing and groove to some of the tracks where BS was more square sounding, very exact or defined, very hard to put into words what I mean. It's like Priest shrugged off the remaining blues influences and became metal.

Anyway, Sabbath? Not metal until 1980.
    Funny, I think Sabbath created Metal in 1970 and Stained Class is way more Metal than British Steel.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Black Sabbath is embedded in my mind, heart and soul.

Black Sabbath is a part of me, a part of who I am, they are all I basically listen to, and I listen to them every single day with enjoyment, pleasure and enthusiasm, without failure.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 02-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

OID, I agree, no other band can approach the greatness of Black Sabbath. I listen to other music as well, but I have always enjoyed Black Sabbath the most and that will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    OID, I agree, no other band can approach the greatness of Black Sabbath. I listen to other music as well, but I have always enjoyed Black Sabbath the most and that will never change.
    I live, breath and sleep Black Sabbath.

Today 44 years ago the eponymous album bearing the band name was released, the album that started it all, thank you Black Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Today 44 years ago the eponymous album bearing the band name was released, the album that started it all, thank you Black Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I didn't realize it was today. I salute your knowledge sir!
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    I didn't realize it was today. I salute your knowledge sir!
    Thank you Typhon, It was released Friday the 13th of February 1970.

I must not take credit alone, Thelemech and Sabbathman have also posted on other threads regarding the anniversary of the greatest album ever.

All the Dio and Ozzy bashing that has occurred on this forum, all the non acceptance of the Gillan, Hughes and Martin eras, it won't be me to taint the Sabbath name.

I know this is just a forum and nothing else, but wouldn't it be better to respect each others preferences ?

Black Sabbath is my favorite band, it is more than a band to me, it's something I love, cherish and respect.

All the Dio and Ozzy bashing that has occurred on this forum, all the non acceptance of the Gillan, Hughes and Martin eras, it won't be me to taint the Sabbath name.

I know this is just a forum and nothing else, but wouldn't it be better to respect each others preferences ?

Black Sabbath is my favorite band, it is more than a band to me, it's something I love, cherish and respect.
    OID, I agree with your comments. Every person has his/her own favorite and preferences, however it is not necessary to bash an era that is not your favorite. For me, no band will ever come close to Black Sabbath, especially the lineup of Ozzy + Tony + Geezer + Bill. You are certain to find something special in any music created by Tony Iommi.

for me its sabbath and zeppelin who hold 1 and 2 with other bands like purple, airplane, the dead, the who, the doors, the stones and a few others quite a bit behind. sabbath and zeppelin were constantly swapping places, there was a time when i honestly thought zep were the best band in the world but sabbath are the only band that can challenge them imo, infact these days id go as far to say sabbath were better. nothing and i mean nothing makes me feel the way i do when i listen to sabbath. zep also make me feel great but i just relate more to sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by oh lord yeah! View Post
    for me its sabbath and zeppelin who hold 1 and 2 with other bands like purple, airplane, the dead, the who, the doors, the stones and a few others quite a bit behind. sabbath and zeppelin were constantly swapping places, there was a time when i honestly thought zep were the best band in the world but sabbath are the only band that can challenge them imo, infact these days id go as far to say sabbath were better. nothing and i mean nothing makes me feel the way i do when i listen to sabbath. zep also make me feel great but i just relate more to sabbath.
    Thanks for posting O.L.Y.

Sabbath out beats any band for me, but yes Zeppelin comes in 2nd in my book, but that's not taking away from them, it's just my personal taste.

Thanks for posting O.L.Y.

Sabbath out beats any band for me, but yes Zeppelin comes in 2nd in my book, but that's not taking away from them, it's just my personal taste.
    Zeppelin comes in at 20 or 30 in my book. They quit going hand in hand with Sabbath for me well over 20 years ago. I recognize their influence. I am grateful for the good times I had with them but, honestly, it surprises me that they still have such a hold over peoples lives. The local Classic Rock Station , which I avoid like syphilis, plays at least one Zeppelin song an hour, sometimes two when it's Heartbreaker/Living Loving Man (He's Just a Woman). If millions of people want to settle for mediocrity when they play music that's their prerogative. Me? I got another 45-50 years on this planet , TOPS, and I intend to enjoy myself when listening to music. Not listen to the exact same shit , day after day , year after year, for ever and ever. NP: The Damned-Dark Asteroid (a tribute to Syd Barret) on vinyl.

Led Zeppelin would come in 4th or 5th with me.
    Ahead of them I choose Nirvana, L7, Deep Purple and of course, Ozzy solo.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

deep purple mk 2 are hugely under appreciated, great band but still cant touch sabbath in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    OID, I agree with your comments. Every person has his/her own favorite and preferences, however it is not necessary to bash an era that is not your favorite. For me, no band will ever come close to Black Sabbath, especially the lineup of Ozzy + Tony + Geezer + Bill. You are certain to find something special in any music created by Tony Iommi.
    I agree with OID and TSC! The bashing of any of the eras of Sabbath is just plain ridiculas. I tend to bash bashers!
    First of all, and foremost, Sabbath is Iommis' band. He has been there thick and thin with all the incarnations. HE's the pioneer and without him, they would be absolutely notta! Now that I said the obvious, if you are a Iommi freak and love and appreciate his style and approach to music then I don't understand the animosity. He has always found a way to fit the style of the vocalist he is creating a song with. A very hard task that usually fails with others, but not Iommi, he takes it to new heights. He's an intense musician that can play most any style, jazz, blues, classical, so on and so on. Now, if you are a dingbat that bashes Sabbath eras, you are bashing Iommi and all his amazing accomplishments which leads me to ask, what the hell are you doing on a fuckin' Sabbath appreciation board? This board is a Sabbath and Iommi fan based board. If you have opinions and strong opinions about the music, that's cool, that's what it's all about, but the whole negative insulting crap just sucks. Most people here don't want to read your bullshit, keep it to yourself because you are not convincing us hardcore fans anything except for the fact that you are completely fuckin' ignorant. Thanks for reading and always remember.........IOMMI RULES!
    Last edited by Hot line; 09-24-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    "Nobody will ever let you know when you ask the reasons why.
    They just tell you that you're on your own, fill your head all full of lies."

Thank you Hot Line.^^^^

I think some people misunderstood when I said Zeppelin were number two, I meant that they come behind Sabbath, but then again so do the Beatles.

My number two band would have to be Dio/Rainbow.

1.) Black Sabbath
    2.) Rainbow
    3.) Led Zeppelin
    4.) Judas Priest
    5.) Iron Maiden

I love all those bands. You ROCK!

Thank you Hot Line.^^^^

I think some people misunderstood when I said Zeppelin were number two, I meant that they come behind Sabbath, but then again so do the Beatles.

My number two band would have to be Dio/Rainbow.

1.) Black Sabbath
    2.) Rainbow
    3.) Led Zeppelin
    4.) Judas Priest
    5.) Iron Maiden
    love early rainbow especially rainbow rising, zep are my second favourite band just behind sabbath and i like early priest. got to admit im not that big on iron maiden, they bore me a bit but i like the odd song.

Quote Originally Posted by deranged View Post
    I love all those bands. You ROCK!
    Thank you Deranged, you Rock as well brother!

love early rainbow especially rainbow rising, zep are my second favourite band just behind sabbath and i like early priest. got to admit im not that big on iron maiden, they bore me a bit but i like the odd song.
    DIO/Rainbow I love, it's my 2nd most favorite band after Sabbath, Ronnie was magical during that period in his career, I love all three albums equally, but no band beats Sabbath, not the mighty Zep, Priest or Maiden.

Metallica and Slayer are also on my list as the greatest bands.

it seems your more metal with metallica,slayer,maiden etc and im more late 60s and 70s rock. my fav bands after sabbath are zep,purple,stones,the who,jefferson airplane,the dead,the doors,lynyrd skynyrd just to name a few. love metallica though i must admit.

My favourite bands 1. Sabbath 2. Ozzy 3. My Morning Jacket 4. Black Label Society 5. Beatles 6. Foo Fighters

it seems your more metal with metallica,slayer,maiden etc and im more late 60s and 70s rock. my fav bands after sabbath are zep,purple,stones,the who,jefferson airplane,the dead,the doors,lynyrd skynyrd just to name a few. love metallica though i must admit.
    Love all of the above bands you listed, except the Grateful Dead, only song I really like from them is Touch Of Grey, I have the cassette Eyes In The Dark, the rest of their stuff I can't get into, kind of boring.

@ OIM, I didn't mention Ozzy or DIO , because I consider them solo artists not actual bands, but you know I love Ozzy and DIO without mentioning them.

My five fav
    Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Metallica
    AC/DC
    Jethro Tull
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Sabbath has been number 1 in my book for many (many) moons. The rest are just an ever-shifting list of bands.

Priest, Motorhead (love me some Motorhead), BoC, Zeppelin, Slayer, Accept are some bands I enjoy that have put out more than a few records.

Frankly, there isn't a whole lot out there that I can't find something to like about. Sometimes its Grieg, maybe some Simple Minds, or even the Troggs. I've even been known to crank "Lest We Forget" by MM, and all kindsa rockabilly. Don't much care for country-pop or whatever is masquerading as country music these days - but I love old country music like Ray Price, Hank Thompson, etc.

Never thought I'd type Hank Thompson on a Black Sabbath forum, but there it is lol.

It all points back to Black Sabbath, though
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Black Sabbath! (THE BEST!!!!!!! Iommi Rules!)

and then there is:

Alice Cooper ( I love the Coop)
    Fear Factory
    Motorhead
    Testament
    The Misfits (The best fuckin' Punk band ever!)
    Rob Zombie

Ozzy's earlier solo work floats in and out around this list.
    Last edited by Hot line; 09-25-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    "Nobody will ever let you know when you ask the reasons why.
    They just tell you that you're on your own, fill your head all full of lies."

Banned

I cant have a top five without having a top six

Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest
    Accept
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Iron Maiden

Depending on mood I enjoy them all as much as each other, there is a bunch of other bands I love also but those six will always be my definitive favourite six bands of all time, but of coarse when it's all said and done Sabbath is and will always be the greatest of them all.

I'm fortunate I guess because I have a handful of bands/artists that have that effect on me ( akin to what OID described in the original post)

1970's Black Sabbath
    The Blizzard Of Ozz and classic Ozzy solo albums
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    The Alice Cooper Group

probably some others too, like GWAR

Black Sabbath
    Bowie
    Misfits/Samhain/Danzig
    Motorhead
    Judas Priest
    Iggy Pop
    Anything Ronnie James Dio
    The Damned
    Tha Coop
    Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
    Hawkwind
    Iron Maiden
    Ministry
    There are so many more, The only one that is solid in one spot is Sabbath at the top and THE BEATLES are the Alphabet that I spelled those words above with.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemech View Post
    My five fav
    Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Metallica
    AC/DC
    Jethro Tull
    love jethro tull

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    Black Sabbath
    Bowie
    Misfits/Samhain/Danzig
    Motorhead
    Judas Priest
    Iggy Pop
    Anything Ronnie James Dio
    The Damned
    Tha Coop
    Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
    Hawkwind
    Iron Maiden
    Ministry
    There are so many more, The only one that is solid in one spot is Sabbath at the top and THE BEATLES are the Alphabet that I spelled those words above with.
    hawkwind are another band i love.

Can only really list my top 3,
    1- black sabbath ( ozz era)
    2- marilyn Manson
    3- ozzy

^^^ unless some incredible new band comes along, nothing and I mean NOTHING is gonna change that order for me.
    Then I got a pool of favourite bands but I can't number them in order cause it really does depend on my mood which one I prefer,
    Slipknot, queen, offspring,system of a down,combichrist,rob zombie,coal chamber,ghost,sepultura,nine inch nails,godhead,disturbed,black sabbath(dio era),prodigy,radiohead, ac/dc ,Dr dre,backstreet boys and n-dubz
    Then I got the bands I maybe only like a few of their albums or songs, and this pretty much spans a hell of a lot of rock bands tbh.
    Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 09-28-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Forgot offspring lol
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Sabbath is home base, for sure. But I also feel that way equally for the Beatles. I used to feel that way about Led Zeppelin, but in all honesty Led Zeppelin's shelf life, though long, does come with an expiration date. Still, the three bands form a sort of Holy Trinity. I am sorry I didn't mention Rainbow, but when I think of Black Sabbath I think of the entire family tree...so you throw in Rainbow, Deep Purple, Dio, Ozzy...all of it. It's all one big family tree to me. (But not Whitesnake.)

Underneath that capstone come lesser bands....Metallica, Slayer, Pre-Arm Def Leppard...silly but fun bands ...Motley Crue, Guns N Roses...chick bands get their own category...Heart, Blondie, Runaways family tree..then bands that never quite lived up to their debut or hype...Ratt, Twisted Sister, WASP.

I know I'm supposed to like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, but they are just "Hit" bands for me, I'm sorry.

What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?

Is Sabbath just a name or is it meaningful? Like is it Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward in the stronger sense?

If anyone would like to elaborate, it would be interesting to read.

What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?

Is Sabbath just a name or is it meaningful? Like is it Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward in the stronger sense?

If anyone would like to elaborate, it would be interesting to read.
    Black Sabbath is, to me, a massive collection of ideas bookended by the two words, Black And Sabbath. In between these words we have a full spectrum of ideas reflective of both concepts, both together and separate.

From the Pagan, Witchy motifs of the first couple of albums to the Doom and drugs of the 3rd and 4th to the Transcendent Heights of SBS and Sabotage to the reflective and mundane (I use that word illustratively, not as a judgment of the material) of TE and NSD to the High Fantasy of HH to the Swords and Sorcery of The Mob Rules to the Industrial grind and modernism of Dehumanizer, the religious overtones of Cross Purposes and the encroaching Darkness and paranoia of TDYK and the High Philosophy of 13.

I did not mention Born Again, 7th Star, or the Martin albums except for Cross Purposes.

Why?

It takes two to Black Sabbath properly. Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. These two together elevated Tony Martin's vocals to something better on the strength of the material.

Iommi, alone, makes some bad choices. His obsession with persuing bland or Gillan Clone singers and tendency to persue a more Whitesnakian sound does serious damage to his otherwise quality riffing and composing. Also, I believe he undervalues himself as a guitarist. I find him frequently burying himself in the mix but with GB he seems more confident and together they shine and make something magical.

GB alone is too far out there and makes bland singer choices too. The simplicity of Tony reigns in GB's lyrics and they meet in the middle, creating something more universally accessible.

I like Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, TYR and I've even found stuff to like on Forbidden, but they are, to me a bit of an appendix to the catalogue.

As for Born Again, with 3 original members, it qualifies by my own definition, but I just can't find the Sabbath in it. Zero the Hero and I'm out. The rest is Dark Purple.

The name is meaningful, it says something about those who listen: We are not satisfied with the mainstream. We are not followers to be led blindly, but we are seekers, we feel and we are called to worship. The truth is not love and peace and unicorns but it is laden with deceptions, missteps, traps and sorrow. Those who truly seek it will be carrying their crosses and shouting Why hast thou forsaken me?

That is what Black Sabbath means to me.

Really had to give this some thought:

1. Black Sabbath (All Eras)
    2. Kansas
    3. Metallica
    4. Alice in Chains
    5. Led Zeppelin

Then a lot of songs from many different bands. Pretty much where I stand.

Well Said I agree completely with you on this!

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    Black Sabbath is, to me, a massive collection of ideas bookended by the two words, Black And Sabbath. In between these words we have a full spectrum of ideas reflective of both concepts, both together and separate.

From the Pagan, Witchy motifs of the first couple of albums to the Doom and drugs of the 3rd and 4th to the Transcendent Heights of SBS and Sabotage to the reflective and mundane (I use that word illustratively, not as a judgment of the material) of TE and NSD to the High Fantasy of HH to the Swords and Sorcery of The Mob Rules to the Industrial grind and modernism of Dehumanizer, the religious overtones of Cross Purposes and the encroaching Darkness and paranoia of TDYK and the High Philosophy of 13.

I did not mention Born Again, 7th Star, or the Martin albums except for Cross Purposes.

Why?

It takes two to Black Sabbath properly. Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. These two together elevated Tony Martin's vocals to something better on the strength of the material.

Iommi, alone, makes some bad choices. His obsession with persuing bland or Gillan Clone singers and tendency to persue a more Whitesnakian sound does serious damage to his otherwise quality riffing and composing. Also, I believe he undervalues himself as a guitarist. I find him frequently burying himself in the mix but with GB he seems more confident and together they shine and make something magical.

GB alone is too far out there and makes bland singer choices too. The simplicity of Tony reigns in GB's lyrics and they meet in the middle, creating something more universally accessible.

I like Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, TYR and I've even found stuff to like on Forbidden, but they are, to me a bit of an appendix to the catalogue.

As for Born Again, with 3 original members, it qualifies by my own definition, but I just can't find the Sabbath in it. Zero the Hero and I'm out. The rest is Dark Purple.

The name is meaningful, it says something about those who listen: We are not satisfied with the mainstream. We are not followers to be led blindly, but we are seekers, we feel and we are called to worship. The truth is not love and peace and unicorns but it is laden with deceptions, missteps, traps and sorrow. Those who truly seek it will be carrying their crosses and shouting Why hast thou forsaken me?

That is what Black Sabbath means to me.
    I think one could accuse Iommi of hiring "Dio-clone" singers, but Gillan?

Don't follow what you're hearing there at all.

Also, as far as the mixing, I think the exact opposite is sometimes true. Iommi appears to have the confidence to not always feel the need to jack the guitar to levels which leave other instruments buried. But even if we accept your premise, it is somewhat flawed. The solos on Technical Ecstasy are some of Tony's very best, yet they often appear somewhat within the mix and don't ride on top of everything. Geezer was there.
    Last edited by Jeff; 10-13-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

Great post William The Bloody.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Sometimes a person feels like he has sold his soul to the Devil, by feigning he likes certain things when he doesn't and by doing so, he feels he has compromised his integrity and honor.

'OID', I certainly admire and respect your point-of-view and your loyalty to all things Sabbath. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the fans shouldn't bash one another for one's era preference. That's simply common sense AND common courtesy, to my thinking. However, with all the incarnations of "Sabbath" that have existed over 44 years there's bound to be fan division of some sort whether we like it or not. Rightly or wrongly, that comes with the territory of music fandom. We as fans have the ability to praise, criticize, or ignore an artist's recorded output. Frankly, I think the worst insult to an artist is to ignore them. But I digress.

Having said that, as a longtime Black Sabbath fan like yourself, personally, I have no problems with STRONG criticisms of Sabbath when they're justified. To your comment about the "non acceptance" of the Gillan, Hughes, and Martin eras ( specifically referring to the latter two ) I find it unconcionable that Tony had no qualms with bringing in hired hands that at any point afterward could say they were in "Black Sabbath" just to make their resume look better. In my opinion, I think that's disgraceful, and it does lessen the INTEGRITY of the name BLACK SABBATH. Or at the very LEAST, it most certainly did at the time. Frankly, that kind of mentality is very difficult to "love, cherish, and respect", to quote you above. Be that as it may, YES, there were/are some SHINING ( pun intended... ) moments on those IOMMI albums that deserve to be recognized. Yet, I understand the reasons why they're ultimately not, fairly or unfairly ( ).

As always 'OID', great comments as usual despite our difference in opinion on this. Respect ( ).

Well it least they didn't make an album with Ray Gillen.