Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    'OID', I certainly admire and respect your point-of-view and your loyalty to all things Sabbath. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the fans shouldn't bash one another for one's era preference. That's simply common sense AND common courtesy, to my thinking. However, with all the incarnations of "Sabbath" that have existed over 44 years there's bound to be fan division of some sort whether we like it or not. Rightly or wrongly, that comes with the territory of music fandom. We as fans have the ability to praise, criticize, or ignore an artist's recorded output. Frankly, I think the worst insult to an artist is to ignore them. But I digress.

Having said that, as a longtime Black Sabbath fan like yourself, personally, I have no problems with STRONG criticisms of Sabbath when they're justified. To your comment about the "non acceptance" of the Gillan, Hughes, and Martin eras ( specifically referring to the latter two ) I find it unconcionable that Tony had no qualms with bringing in hired hands that at any point afterward could say they were in "Black Sabbath" just to make their resume look better. In my opinion, I think that's disgraceful, and it does lessen the INTEGRITY of the name BLACK SABBATH. Or at the very LEAST, it most certainly did at the time. Frankly, that kind of mentality is very difficult to "love, cherish, and respect", to quote you above. Be that as it may, YES, there were/are some SHINING ( pun intended... ) moments on those IOMMI albums that deserve to be recognized. Yet, I understand the reasons why they're ultimately not, fairly or unfairly ( ).

As always 'OID', great comments as usual despite our difference in opinion on this. Respect ( ).
    Agreed. Like I've said before on this forum:
    Mccartney didn't produce the rest of his music and then try calling it The Beatles.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Mccartney didn't produce the rest of his music and then try calling it The Beatles.
    I feel the above comments by Sab Historian are so far from accurate , to agree with such nonsense makes me smile , but as for Paul - not a chance - that would only be for the rights of John boy , though no one can lay claim to being THE man in a band to the extent of Mr Sabbath himself aka Iommi ..... John would come the closest for The Beatles.

God Bless my brother

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    All the Dio and Ozzy bashing that has occurred on this forum, all the non acceptance of the Gillan, Hughes and Martin eras, it won't be me to taint the Sabbath name.

I know this is just a forum and nothing else, but wouldn't it be better to respect each others preferences ?

Black Sabbath is my favorite band, it is more than a band to me, it's something I love, cherish and respect.
    Brilliant man .... kudos!!! ..... it's all music , a name to be tainted by greatness , please. Don't know how i missed such a well said post my sabbath brother!!

@NS , Ray is friggin sensational , in many ways the most accomplished live vocalist to ever see the stage with Sabbath ..... that includes your boy toy Robbie

..... and ps , Ray is on record with the Sab's!!!!

- these forums are not so much moronic as they are halirious!!

What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?

Is Sabbath just a name or is it meaningful? Like is it Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward in the stronger sense?

If anyone would like to elaborate, it would be interesting to read.
    To me, Black Sabbath will always be my favorite band and this has remained true for 33+ years. As I have said many times, the magic created by Osbourne, Iommi, Butler, and Ward has never been matched. The heaviness, darkness, and musical brilliance appealed to me as a 13 year old and my love of their material never faded. The opportunity to enjoy 13 and two live shows on this tour has been awesome. I greatly enjoy Ozzy's solo material and some other bands, yet nothing rivals the special place held by Black Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    I feel the above comments by Sab Historian are so far from accurate , to agree with such nonsense makes me smile , but as for Paul - not a chance - that would only be for the rights of John boy , though no one can lay claim to being THE man in a band to the extent of Mr Sabbath himself aka Iommi ..... John would come the closest for The Beatles.
    Okay, Lennon didn't take the rest of his music and call it The Beatles either.

Okay, Lennon didn't take the rest of his music and call it The Beatles either.
    , ya that poor bastard ..... thank the good LORD above "Iommi did!!" , Sabbath went from special to "OH" so extra special because of it , mmmmmm baby!

..... "let's take a chance , on the skies that burn tonight"

To me Black Sabbath is a band some LP's/Era's I like better than others - they are not my favorite band & if they only had the Ozzy Era I probably wouldn't listen to them anymore - as far as the band damaging their integrity by having the different line-ups I respectfully disagree - I think the different singers/players brought new life to the band & I think the only thing that ever damaged their integrity was the first Reunion Era with Ozzy (1997 - 2005) where the band basically became a hard rock oldies machine on the road with no new music (save Scary Dreams) being played live during that time and only 2 new songs released (Psycho Man & Selling my Soul) basically a wasted decade when they could have put new material out. to me this was the worst time in the entire history of the band. I am glad they finally got a new CD out with hopefully another on the way. I would prefer them to be a working band instead of a oldies touring machine.
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Not far from it, though. He was smart enough to not even try, but he damn sure hoped everyone else would...

But as Doc says, there's two different playing fields here, Iommi was always (mostly) on his own directing the music, whereas though the famous "Lennon/McCartney" writing partnership was mostly in the early days, they kept bouncing things off of each others, needing to get the others approval. Noone could've kept "Beatles" going on their own, not even Lennon. That truely was an equally 4 (or two) person collaboration.

That being said, there's no secret i think Iommi took it way too far, esp. after Geez and Bill left...
    Just saying, with his position in the band, he was atleast "able" to do it, unlike f.ex anyone in Beatles...
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 10-24-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

, ya that poor bastard ..... thank the good LORD above "Iommi did!!" , Sabbath went from special to "OH" so extra special because of it , mmmmmm baby!

..... "let's take a chance , on the skies that burn tonight"
    Doc that would be the verse by Ray at the end, later changed for martin
    you have turn me into a sabbath wizard

Charlatans are many and bountiful, take heed to my warnings and be aware of those who try to sway you into believing things that aren't so, be true to yourself and what you know to be true and hold dear.

The world today is such a wicked place.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-24-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    To me, Black Sabbath will always be my favorite band and this has remained true for 33+ years. As I have said many times, the magic created by Osbourne, Iommi, Butler, and Ward has never been matched. The heaviness, darkness, and musical brilliance appealed to me as a 13 year old and my love of their material never faded. The opportunity to enjoy 13 and two live shows on this tour has been awesome. I greatly enjoy Ozzy's solo material and some other bands, yet nothing rivals the special place held by Black Sabbath.
    Thanks for posting Sabman, you always post how I feel and think, great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    'OID', I certainly admire and respect your point-of-view and your loyalty to all things Sabbath. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the fans shouldn't bash one another for one's era preference. That's simply common sense AND common courtesy, to my thinking. However, with all the incarnations of "Sabbath" that have existed over 44 years there's bound to be fan division of some sort whether we like it or not. Rightly or wrongly, that comes with the territory of music fandom. We as fans have the ability to praise, criticize, or ignore an artist's recorded output. Frankly, I think the worst insult to an artist is to ignore them. But I digress.

Having said that, as a longtime Black Sabbath fan like yourself, personally, I have no problems with STRONG criticisms of Sabbath when they're justified. To your comment about the "non acceptance" of the Gillan, Hughes, and Martin eras ( specifically referring to the latter two ) I find it unconcionable that Tony had no qualms with bringing in hired hands that at any point afterward could say they were in "Black Sabbath" just to make their resume look better. In my opinion, I think that's disgraceful, and it does lessen the INTEGRITY of the name BLACK SABBATH. Or at the very LEAST, it most certainly did at the time. Frankly, that kind of mentality is very difficult to "love, cherish, and respect", to quote you above. Be that as it may, YES, there were/are some SHINING ( pun intended... ) moments on those IOMMI albums that deserve to be recognized. Yet, I understand the reasons why they're ultimately not, fairly or unfairly ( ).

As always 'OID', great comments as usual despite our difference in opinion on this. Respect ( ).
    Thanks for posting Sab Historian, you and I are a lot alike brother, my respect to you.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

What is Black Sabbath to the many people that post on here?
    Great question.

To me, Black Sabbath represents an uplifting call for sanity - not some kumbaya silliness, but a genuine commentary on today's world expressed through emotionally compelling music. Music that has a powerful, gut-pounding slowness that to me is the musical expression of the inevitability of fate.

All the while being wrapped up with delicately crafted artistry that expresses the salvation that is waiting for everyone from the hate-fueled, morass of pain and suffering that humanity creates for itself. All propelling the underlying message that despite humanity's broken nature we don't have to be that way - there's a better place.
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Hi Doc, I find it Ironic that you used my "boy toy" Rob "The Metal God" Halford as a person to compare to poor, deader than Kennedy Hair Metal Ray..... I mean, Jesus... Ray died of AIDS over 20 years ago and nobody but the most hardened Sabbath and Ozzy fans even know who the fuck he was!!! Rob is out rocking the world as we speak, gay biker hat, ridiculous leather studded outfit and Harley Davidson included!! Millions of people around the world know he is one of the ALL Time top metal vocalists, regardless of dated doctrine that tells one they should hate him. Thanks for the heads up about the Eternal idol with Ray singing by the way, I was being sarcastic about him not singing on any Sabbath album, I know I have to spell that sarcasm out for people sometimes but I actually had a silver "Eternal Stars" bootleg cd about 6 years or so before the EI deluxe edition came out. Regardless , I thank you for sharing, I know you try your best, Doc.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    To me Black Sabbath is a band some LP's/Era's I like better than others - they are not my favorite band & if they only had the Ozzy Era I probably wouldn't listen to them anymore - as far as the band damaging their integrity by having the different line-ups I respectfully disagree - I think the different singers/players brought new life to the band & I think the only thing that ever damaged their integrity was the first Reunion Era with Ozzy (1997 - 2005) where the band basically became a hard rock oldies machine on the road with no new music (save Scary Dreams) being played live during that time and only 2 new songs released (Psycho Man & Selling my Soul) basically a wasted decade when they could have put new material out. to me this was the worst time in the entire history of the band. I am glad they finally got a new CD out with hopefully another on the way. I would prefer them to be a working band instead of a oldies touring machine.
    'Kamikazetom', thanks for responding. Funny enough, I can understand your point-of-view regarding the 'Reunion' era and the lack of integrity that you perceive behind it. I'm sure there are many fans who agree with you on that. That said, regardless, it was inevitable. Especially considering Ronnie's exit a second time five years prior after the AWESOME 'Dehumanizer' album and tour! Personally, I would've been fine with that lineup continuing even if it meant we would never see the original lineup together once again. Let's be honest though. The shadow got bigger each passing year, and the stories of the band's influence from younger bands had grown by leaps and bounds. The timing couldn't have been better for them, and that's everything in the music business. Either way, great comments everybody BOTH pro and con ( ).

Black Sabbath to me has and always will be Ozzy Osbourne, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi.

The Dio era, what a great era and music, Ronnie was proud of being a part of Sabbath he conveyed that in his interviews and music, what a personality he was, God rest his soul. One cannot deny his contribution to the Sabbath legacy.

The Gillan album and that's what I'll call it, not an era really (at least not to me) was a great album, one of my favorites. How can you not call it a Sabbath album, you had Ward, Butler and Iommi on it.

To me though the voice of Sabbath has and always will be Ozzy Osbourne, make no mistake about it and this is where I want Ozzy to finish his career, that goes for Butler, Ward and Iommi.

I cannot sell myself out or the band I love and cherish for something it is not, it is not a name but a collaboration of four young men from Aston, Birmingham England, that went on to create the best and most incredible music that ever graced this planet, more so than Elvis, Beatles, Zeppelin, Doors, Purple, you name it they topped it and bested it, but no one please get offended, this is just my honest and humble opinion and nothing more.

I am a simple man but an honest and humble man and would rather be shot dead execution style than to sell myself as a fake and phoney, with these words I bow down and out and leave the rest of the interpretation of this post to the good members on this forum, I hope I have not offended anyone if I have my apologies in advance, for those were and are not my intentions, and never have been.

Sincerely and most truthfully yours.

Its OK To prefer or the original band. They were the best

Quote Originally Posted by OIM View Post
    Its OK To prefer or the original band. They were the best
    It's more than okay, they were the originals, the best without whom there never would've been a Black Sabbath as we know it.

It's more than okay, they were the originals, the best without whom there never would've been a Black Sabbath as we know it.
    You're preaching to the choir. Im just being delicate because some people here get offended easily.

You're preaching to the choir. Im just being delicate because some people here get offended easily.
    Not trying to offend anyone, that's not my intentions. How can anyone get offended by the truth?

You can't have an after without a before, or an end without a beginning.

I still think Ray's voice was Wildly inappropriate for Sabbath. Also, it's obvious he didn't give two fucks about Sabbath, why should I give two fucks about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    I still think Ray's voice was Wildly inappropriate for Sabbath. Also, it's obvious he didn't give two fucks about Sabbath, why should I give two fucks about him?
    But Iommi farted on those recordings!

But Iommi farted on those recordings!
    If he did I would probably eventually buy the extended flatulatory expulsion remix, but I vastly prefer the Tony Martin version. I can totally accept it if others don't think the non Ozzy stuff is Sabbath, I understand, I felt that way myself many years ago. I'm glad I changed my mind regardless, even if I do think that Ray Gillen should have been the front man for a band like Tesla or maybe Journey, anything but Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynlsol View Post
    Great question.

To me, Black Sabbath represents an uplifting call for sanity - not some kumbaya silliness, but a genuine commentary on today's world expressed through emotionally compelling music. Music that has a powerful, gut-pounding slowness that to me is the musical expression of the inevitability of fate.

All the while being wrapped up with delicately crafted artistry that expresses the salvation that is waiting for everyone from the hate-fueled, morass of pain and suffering that humanity creates for itself. All propelling the underlying message that despite humanity's broken nature we don't have to be that way - there's a better place.
    Amen , have no clue if your being serious , but either way - you nailed it!

Black Sabbath to me has and always will be Ozzy Osbourne, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi.

The Dio era, what a great era and music, Ronnie was proud of being a part of Sabbath he conveyed that in his interviews and music, what a personality he was, God rest his soul. One cannot deny his contribution to the Sabbath legacy.

The Gillan album and that's what I'll call it, not an era really (at least not to me) was a great album, one of my favorites. How can you not call it a Sabbath album, you had Ward, Butler and Iommi on it.

To me though the voice of Sabbath has and always will be Ozzy Osbourne, make no mistake about it and this is where I want Ozzy to finish his career, that goes for Butler, Ward and Iommi.

I cannot sell myself out or the band I love and cherish for something it is not, it is not a name but a collaboration of four young men from Aston, Birmingham England, that went on to create the best and most incredible music that ever graced this planet, more so than Elvis, Beatles, Zeppelin, Doors, Purple, you name it they topped it and bested it, but no one please get offended, this is just my honest and humble opinion and nothing more.

I am a simple man but an honest and humble man and would rather be shot dead execution style than to sell myself as a fake and phoney, with these words I bow down and out and leave the rest of the interpretation of this post to the good members on this forum, I hope I have not offended anyone if I have my apologies in advance, for those were and are not my intentions, and never have been.

Sincerely and most truthfully yours.
    Wow , respect .... hear you man , loud and clear ... ONLY cause it's you OID , i will throw myself on the grenade - no fire for you my brother ,,,, sorry if i am the "charlatan" to sway you to "feign" your ideals , and sell your soul to the devil ... you may be correct , not about Sabbath , but about me ,,,, time to reevaluate myself Brother ,,,, Sorry if directly or indirectly - cyber world or real world - i hurt you in any way.

But if i was capable beyond my knowing , to turn a friend (cyber , sabbath , whatever) into a stranger ... well , thats not good on my part , and I'm Sorry. My love for you hasn't wavered bother , stay strong .... honor and respect your way always man!

Oh boy , crazy NS - got to love um!!! .... Hey a favor , whether you like it or not , amongst the majority here - you carry the "Blackest" Sabbath Flag ,,,, most have not a clue ... But you in your own inconsistent way , KNOW it and UNDERSTAND it - and most importantly , BREATH it!! .... once in awhile , when you find a chance ,,, once a month - whatever it may be ,,,, throw a post in "the listen" for those who read it ,,, hit each era once in a while , in NEVER SATISFIED style!! ... thanks brother

JESUS BLESS , peace , love and goodbye - Doc , "Keeper Of The Sabbath Stones...."

Vynisol, great comments!

OID, thank you. For us, the Black Sabbath connection was made many years ago and remains as strong as ever. There is no need for you, or anyone else to worry about offending someone else over their love of Black Sabbath, original lineup, or later versions. Your thoughts are always honest and true.

Doc, please see my comments on the Listen. Everything produced by Tony is worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    OID, thank you. For us, the Black Sabbath connection was made many years ago and remains as strong as ever. There is no need for you, or anyone else to worry about offending someone else over their love of Black Sabbath, original lineup, or later versions. Your thoughts are always honest and true.
    Thank you for the kind words Sabman and knowing who I am inside and for sticking up for me, it upsets me Doc would even think I would say or call him such things, Doc knows my heart so maybe there was some confusion, the Devil always has a way of sticking his tail in things.

Thanks again brother.

Thank you for the kind words Sabman and knowing who I am inside and for sticking up for me, it upsets me Doc would even think I would say or call him such things, Doc knows my heart so maybe there was some confusion, the Devil always has a way of sticking his tail in things.

Thanks again brother.
    OID I know your a great guy but did you ever consider for a second that blaming something like a simple misunderstanding between two people on something like "the Devil" is denying accountability for ones own actions?I'm not saying that you need to be accountable for anything, it just seems Highly illogical to me to blame every little silly thing on the Devil.

OID I know your a great guy but did you ever consider for a second that blaming something like a simple misunderstanding between two people on something like "the Devil" is denying accountability for ones own actions?I'm not saying that you need to be accountable for anything, it just seems Highly illogical to me to blame every little silly thing on the Devil.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing people he doesn't exist.

I believe the Devil exists, just as God exists, if you believe in one you must believe in the other.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing people he doesn't exist.

I believe the Devil exists, just as God exists, if you believe in one you must believe in the other.
    I don't believe in either , not the way you see it, don't assume that your reality is even going to remotely resemble mine. I'm going to go out on a limb and say all the bad shit I've done in MY life ( and there has been a lot of bad shit) has been MY fault. No supernatural entity made me do anything. I may get banned for saying how I feel but I feel that what you are saying is wrong. Very wrong. . I feel it's my duty as a human being to notify you of that. Take care Man, I hope things go better for you and whatever is giving you a hard time.

I don't believe in either.
    I'm with you on that topic NS.
    I never could accept that supersticious stuff.

SCIENCE!

Listen to me and believe what I say if you can, you know I've seen the faces of doom and I'm only a man!

Think you're safe, but you're wrong! ,\m/
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.

... goodbye ...

I guess if you're beginning a period of incarceration in a federal penitentiary, or attempting to circumnavigate the globe in a kayak...otherwise say it ain't so!
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Listen to me and believe what I say if you can, you know I've seen the faces of doom and I'm only a man!

Think you're safe, but you're wrong! ,\m/
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-with-sc_music

It's poetry in motion
    She turned her tender eyes to me
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    Mmm - but she blinded me with science
    "She blinded me with science!"
    And failed me in biology

When I'm dancing close to her
    "Blinding me with science - science!"
    I can smell the chemicals
    "Science!"
    "Science!"

Mmm - but it's poetry in motion
    And when she turned her eyes to me
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    And failed me in geometry

When she's dancing next to me
    "Science!"
    I can hear machinery
    "Science!"

It's poetry in motion
    And now she's making love to me
    The spheres're in commotion
    The elements in harmony
    She blinded me with science
    And hit me with technology

"Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"
    I -
    I don't believe it!
    There she goes again!
    She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!
    All my tubes and wires
    And careful notes
    And antiquated notions

But! - it's poetry in motion
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    "She blinded me with - with science!"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-with-sc_music

It's poetry in motion
    She turned her tender eyes to me
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    And failed me in biology

When I'm dancing close to her
    I can smell the chemicals
    "Science!"
    "Science!"

Mmm - but it's poetry in motion
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    And failed me in geometry

When she's dancing next to me
    "Science!"
    I can hear machinery
    "Science!"

It's poetry in motion
    And now she's making love to me
    The spheres're in commotion
    The elements in harmony
    She blinded me with science
    And hit me with technology

"Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"
    I -
    I don't believe it!
    There she goes again!
    She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!
    All my tubes and wires
    And careful notes
    And antiquated notions

But! - it's poetry in motion
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    "She blinded me with - with science!"
    LOL!
    I have that video on an old VHS tape NS.

LOL!
    I have that video on an old VHS tape NS.
    Man, that one totally takes me back to 1983 being a 10 year old on River St in Hudson Mass watching MTV because it was literally the best station ever!!! Now it's the worst............

Man, that one totally takes me back to 1983 being a 10 year old on River St in Hudson Mass watching MTV because it was literally the best station ever!!! Now it's the worst............
    I hear that.
    I haven't looked at that station in over 15 years.

Listen guys I love Black Sabbath, you all know that.

A little misunderstanding some how occurred, Doc thought I was talking about him when I wasn't, that I was referring to him in my posts, I was using a figure of speech by saying that the Devil always sticks his tail, I didn't mean that literally.

I love the Doc, and that is literal, the man is my brother, so my apologies to you all that I may have offended, if I did offend anyone.

Never Satisfied, I'm truly sorry if I offended you in any way regarding Putin, this is a music forum and I should've kept my personal beliefs to myself, all I ever wanted to do on this forum was talk Sabbath.

So please brother lets put this behind us.

A little misunderstanding some how occurred, Doc thought I was talking about him when I wasn't, that I was referring to him in my posts, I was using a figure of speech by saying that the Devil always sticks his tail, I didn't mean that literally.

I love the Doc, and that is literal, the man is my brother, so my apologies to you all that I may have offended, if I did offend anyone.

Never Satisfied, I'm truly sorry if I offended you in any way regarding Putin, this is a music forum and I should've kept my personal beliefs to myself, all I ever wanted to do on this forum was talk Sabbath.

Relax OID.
    Everyone knows you are a good soul and a terrific Sabbath fan.
    Nothing here to lose any sleep over.

No, I am sorry, obviously you are having a hard time with some things and it was shitty of me to have brought that old crap up. Typhon, hey, do you remember a show on Mtv called Closet Classics?

No, I am sorry, obviously you are having a hard time with some things and it was shitty of me to have brought that old crap up. Typhon, hey, do you remember a show on Mtv called Closet Classics?
    Slightly. I think they would show a video of a past popular song.
    I don't know if it was an entire show, though. I could be wrong.

If he did I would probably eventually buy the extended flatulatory expulsion remix, but I vastly prefer the Tony Martin version. I can totally accept it if others don't think the non Ozzy stuff is Sabbath, I understand, I felt that way myself many years ago. I'm glad I changed my mind regardless, even if I do think that Ray Gillen should have been the front man for a band like Tesla or maybe Journey, anything but Sabbath.
    I have to disagree with you 'NS' regarding Ray Gillen ( R.I.P.). I think he was a far superior singer to Martin, and was definitely a better frontman as well. That said, I'm fine with the "original" ( so to speak...) 'Eternal Idol' album though. Rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly, the overwhelming majority of the Sabbath community heard this album with Tony Martin first, period. I'll ALWAYS associate Martin with this record moreso than Gillen, even though he didn't write any of the material for it. Overall, it's a decent IOMMI album that tried to compete with the musical climate of the day, for better or worse. Two out of five stars ( ).

You have a valid point, "ASH"....(I love "NS"btw, people been callin me that for many years) Ray may well have been the better singer and he may have had a better stage presence as well. That being said I found his voice far too polished for Sabbath and I prefer the bit of growl and grit that Martin has. Also, as a Sabbath loyalist to a fault, I kinda resented the way Ray just ditched Sabbath for hopes of a better opportunity, he ditched them when they needed him most and that rubs me a wrong way a bit. I admit that I was being overly harsh on him, he's just not my cup of tea. I'm glad Sabbath stuck it out with Martin , I enjoy the stuff they did with him immensely, Eternal Idol being a personal fave I give it 4 *s outa five. I think Iommi's work is absolutely insane on that record but I docked a point because I think it has the worst drum sound of any of the Sabbath albums.