Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

As a Sabbath-loving high school kid in the seventies, I didn't know any chicks who were into Sabbath. The perception I had was that the average Sabbath fan was a lot like me: kind of a loner, outsider, stoner, and male. Sabbath was definitely a 'dudes only' band in my neck of the woods.
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling#sound View Post
    Never seen that pic before in the OP's post! Could you reveal the origin and when it was taken?
    Tuscon, Arizona 3-16-72

They were never "sex symbols" fo rsure, but Ozzy was "cute" and chicks wanted to "mother" him... and once Tony got a real haircut, we saw a handsome guy under that former poodle cut...Zep was the chick band, with cock rocker Robert strutting his stuff (in very tight jeans) singing about lemon juice and giving her every inch of his love "all night long" .... The Stones had Mick, etc etc... but yea, back in the day, the 70's people didn't go to gigs in leather biker gear... that was an 80's thing... the gay underground brought to light by Judas Preist and the likes... yuk! I'm not sure w.t.h. this thread is about but Sabbath's sex appeal, if their was any was Ozzy...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    They were never "sex symbols" fo rsure, but Ozzy was "cute" and chicks wanted to "mother" him... and once Tony got a real haircut, we saw a handsome guy under that former poodle cut...Zep was the chick band, with cock rocker Robert strutting his stuff (in very tight jeans) singing about lemon juice and giving her every inch of his love "all night long" .... The Stones had Mick, etc etc... but yea, back in the day, the 70's people didn't go to gigs in leather biker gear... that was an 80's thing... the gay underground brought to light by Judas Preist and the likes... yuk! I'm not sure w.t.h. this thread is about but Sabbath's sex appeal, if their was any was Ozzy...
    Yup..........and I agree, this thread is on the bizarre side.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 01-20-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    This is part of the front row in Santa Monica, Sept. 4, 1975. Five songs from this show were broadcast on "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert." Notice not only females but the way people are dressed. Wouldn't standard rock history writers have you believe that everybody should be in leather?

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...psea96835c.jpg
    People didn't "dress" in gay biker gear Jeff in those days... I know, I was there! That's an 80's thing, the queer black leather and studded arm bands, so "metal" LOL! The 70's was the real deal, the 80's was over eggagerated male macho and fantasy female masterbation wanking, just like most of the music!

I think there's no doubt that whatever "sex appeal" Sabbath had was first and foremost about Ozzy. Although I think people judging some haircut Tony had as a way of ruling out his appeal to women are speaking for an entire sex; which I think is silly, but Ozzy was surely the guy who appealed to women, I should imagine.

But this thread is getting a bit off course. Maybe I didn't illustrate my point well enough, but I can't imagine what could be that confusing about this thread. The point is that you have people like Jimmy Norton or Henry Rollins describing Sabbath fans or what have you. And this might be funny or even true to some extent or during a certain time, but the overall impression of Sabbath is that they are almost exclusively a "guy's band." Then you watch something like the TV broadcast of Santa Monica '75 and there are girls everywhere. You listen to certain bootlegs and when they hit the stage girls are screaming. Things just totally at odds with this "perception."

So I guess I was curious as to whether this perception came about because of the Dio-era, or because people just got lazy and never really researched Sabbath's appeal in the 70s and figured "heavy Metal" as it existed in the 80s was the way it was in the 70s?

People didn't "dress" in gay biker gear Jeff in those days... I know, I was there! That's an 80's thing, the queer black leather and studded arm bands, so "metal" LOL! The 70's was the real deal, the 80's was over eggagerated male macho and fantasy female masterbation wanking, just like most of the music!
    I'm well aware of this and that's my point. I think because of what "Heavy Metal" became that some people assume it was always like that with Sabbath. Maybe they see early photos of the guys in leather coats and looking "mean" and assume there were legions of metalheads attending Sabs shows back in the 70s. That what happened in the 80s was the way it was at Sabbath shows in the 70s. But this is an oversimplification at best and patently false at worst. Sabbath's music and following in the 70s was never that easy to pinpoint and never fit into some "box."

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

The point is that you have people like Jimmy Norton or Henry Rollins describing Sabbath fans or what have you. And this might be funny or even true to some extent or during a certain time, but the overall impression of Sabbath is that they are almost exclusively a "guy's band." Then you watch something like the TV broadcast of Santa Monica '75 and there are girls everywhere. You listen to certain bootlegs and when they hit the stage girls are screaming. Things just totally at odds with this "perception."

So I guess I was curious as to whether this perception came about because of the Dio-era, or because people just got lazy and never really researched Sabbath's appeal in the 70s and figured "heavy Metal" as it existed in the 80s was the way it was in the 70s?
    Sabbath's music and following in the 70s was never that easy to pinpoint and never fit into some "box."
    I very much agree with that. Might be that Norton and Rollins, like me, was loosers who didn't get laid till far too late (might be? I meant ofcourse...) and therefore do in some ways resent the notion of a Sab-fan being something much more "mainstream". And in some ways that sentiment of being the loner freak Sab-fan is very true, hell it's been true almost up till this day, or atleast until Osbournes broke the waterfloods... But i also think that they in that mindframe of being excludes choose to ignore the mainstream audience Sabbath actually had in the "pre-Metal world"...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

I've been to many Ozzy/Sabbath shows, and each one had tons of girls. At the same time I know lots of girls who love Sabbath!!

Quote Originally Posted by HORRORHOLIC View Post
    I've been to many Ozzy/Sabbath shows, and each one had tons of girls. At the same time I know lots of girls who love Sabbath!!
    Ya, I agree. The Beatles are arguably the best and biggest band ever, and they certainly had a massive female following. By some people's standards here, the Beatles might even be called the ultimate chick band. If female interest in a band is somehow considered to be a bad thing, then I would suggest that there are some people out there with serious identity issues. It takes no effort to alienate a gender, or any other demographic, for that matter. It takes huge talent to speak to both genders and maintain their interest. Fortunately, the Sabbath shows that I have been to have been reflective of a very mixed demographic, including lots of chicks. Besides, what male Sabbath fan truly wants to be surrounded by a sweaty sausage fest? Are girls really that scary? I know my wife would agree, Sabbath is for all people who appreciate cool music, no matter what their gender.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 01-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Is there a single female on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopsy View Post
    Is there a single female on this forum?

There used to be quite a few, but they seem to be laying quite low since "13" was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    There used to be quite a few, but they seem to be laying quite low since "13" was released.
    Obviously there is "SabbathGirl93" (92?) and I believe "Die Young" is too ... and if I'm wrong I beg his forgiveness. I don;t think either has posted for a couple of months or more. There are one or two others I've wondered about.

You should encourage Mrs NiD to get on the forum.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    Obviously there is "SabbathGirl93" (92?) and I believe "Die Young" is too ... and if I'm wrong I beg his forgiveness. I don;t think either has posted for a couple of months or more. There are one or two others I've wondered about.

Haha. That would be fun, but we already have enough to debate, like who's going to vacuum, do the laundry, walk the dog, etc.

Also, there was Bunnypink and Ady, off the top of my head. Someone should link the "girl" thread that was started a while back. There were quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Haha. That would be fun, but we already have enough to debate, like who's going to vacuum, do the laundry, walk the dog, etc.

Also, there was Bunnypink and Ady, off the top of my head. Someone should link the "girl" thread that was started a while back. There were quite a few.
    No Ady's a bloke I'm sure, but his avatar is the Hawkwind dancer Stacia and may be the cause of any confusion if people thought it was selfie.

Actualy Im a dude... with long hair, black leather jacket and black band t-shirt... Been lurking for a few months but not posting. Im surprised someone actualy remembers me lol. Gonna do some postin now. Also I might just be the youngest member at the frail age of... 19... could that be true?

ontopic: Yeah im pritty sure Sabbath were always a guy band its just that they had more fans back then than they do now you see, plus we tend to notice the women in the conserts, because we're obviously considering them as potential mates. Anyways speaking of the 10s... I've bearly met any non-metal heads online and off who actualy know about sabbath... atleast where I live... I mean there would surely be more fans but people arent getting exposed to this type of music here...
    Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Die Young View Post
    Actualy Im a dude... with long hair, black leather jacket and black band t-shirt... Been lurking for a few months but not posting. Im surprised someone actualy remembers me lol. Gonna do some postin now. Also I might just be the youngest member at the frail age of... 19... could that be true?

ontopic: Yeah im pritty sure Sabbath were always a guy band its just that they had more fans back then than they do now you see, plus we tend to notice the women in the conserts, because we're obviously considering them as potential mates. Anyways speaking of the 10s... I've bearly met any non-metal heads online and off who actualy know about sabbath... atleast where I live... I mean there would surely be more fans but people arent getting exposed to this type of music here...
    Oops! My bad.

I would have to say, if one had to put them in a catagory... "chick" band vs "Macho male rocker", they definitly fit in the later... no matter how many women you may see at their concerts... most are just accompying their husbands or BFs... I'm sure there was the groupie scene early on, but even then, their music was so dark and forboding I don't believe they were ever at the forefront of being groupie magnets... not with all the other bands in the early 70's...Zep, Bowie, Stones...T-rex, etc... there's no question in my mind that Sabbath has always been predominatly a "guy" band...

I would have to say, if one had to put them in a catagory... "chick" band vs "Macho male rocker", they definitly fit in the later... no matter how many women you may see at their concerts... most are just accompying their husbands or BFs... I'm sure there was the groupie scene early on, but even then, their music was so dark and forboding I don't believe they were ever at the forefront of being groupie magnets... not with all the other bands in the early 70's...Zep, Bowie, Stones...T-rex, etc... there's no question in my mind that Sabbath has always been predominatly a "guy" band...
    The lady on the cover of their debut is a supposed groupie.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I am female and I love Black Sabbath! Even as far as going to interview both Bill Ward and Adam Wakeman for a radio show I host,even met Ozzy 2 times in recent years. And I spoke to Sean Yseult and she of course loves them too.

I still have yet to see them in concert though(somehow I've always missed them),but I do listen to their albums occasionally,especially since I am a radio DJ. Other female metal DJ's at my station are more into modern thrash/black metal stuff,but I'm more into the classics like Sabbath.

I passed your comment on to Mrs NiD, and she was flattered, but said that she does not feel that she knows enough to be conversant in this forum, but she thanks you for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith13 View Post
    I am female and I love Black Sabbath! Even as far as going to interview both Bill Ward and Adam Wakeman for a radio show I host,even met Ozzy 2 times in recent years. And I spoke to Sean Yseult and she of course loves them too.

I still have yet to see them in concert though(somehow I've always missed them),but I do listen to their albums occasionally,especially since I am a radio DJ. Other female metal DJ's at my station are more into modern thrash/black metal stuff,but I'm more into the classics like Sabbath.
    Glad to have a female perspective Lillith.. and to brighten up our table..

Girl's perspective? I've got an endorsement right here - my daughter at the Glasgow Hydro gig last month. Her mum was supposed to go with me, but after much pleading from my wee girl, mum gave her the ticket.
    When War Pigs came on she had her peace signs up and knew the words.

Quote Originally Posted by PTC View Post
    Girl's perspective? I've got an endorsement right here - my daughter at the Glasgow Hydro gig last month. Her mum was supposed to go with me, but after much pleading from my wee girl, mum gave her the ticket.
    When War Pigs came on she had her peace signs up and knew the words.

AH YES, ANOTHER GENERATION DISCOVERS THE MASTERS..! It's like Bach and Beethovan... Sabbath's music wil lbe heard 100 ys from now... that can't be said of too many bands...

Whats with the matching plaid on the two guys in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    Whats with the matching plaid on the two guys in the background?
    They met at Match.com... next question, do gays listen to Sabbath?

*spits coffee out*

D'ya think they're lumberjacks? D'ya think they wear women's clothing like their dear papa?

Thats trippy. It looks like a guy standing next to a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by princehollow View Post
    Thats trippy. It looks like a guy standing next to a mirror.
    Trippy? Sorry I thought everyone knew Monty Python word-for-word!

You could be right about the mirror.

The guy on the left is saying "But you said you were wearing the blue shirt, we look stupid now. I'm glad no one will ever see this"

Quote Originally Posted by PTC View Post
    The guy on the left is saying "But you said you were wearing the blue shirt, we look stupid now. I'm glad no one will ever see this"
    lol They were probably arguing "Get out of here man go stand over on the other side!" "But this is a wicked view. You go stand over on the other side!"

Its obviously [s]that they're twins[/s] black magic.

Edit: Hmm i thought that stroketrough would work on this site, anyways you get the joke.
    Still I wonder what its like to be loved, instead of hiding in myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Die Young View Post
    Its obviously [s]that they're twins[/s] black magic. Edit: Hmm i thought that stroketrough would work on this site, anyways you get the joke.
    Twinks? No they're bears

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith13 View Post

That is great to hear Lillith, ladies that are into Sabbath are always special.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

back in '76 my sister went with us ,but she took off and waited for us,because the devil's face on top of stage freaked her out.

Banned

Thanks for the personal insights but I think you're missing the actual topics at hand:

It's about how or when this perception of Sabbath as "guy's band" came to be. And does it really have much credibility?

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a suggested approach to dating.

Ah, I was actually searching for something else and coincidentally stumbled across this old thread you recently mentioned, Jeff. Cool topic.

Regarding your second question, I actually think that the opposition of "macho band" vs "chicks band" that was suggested somewhere earlier in this thread is misleading. Led Zeppelin were sex symbols for sure, definitely much more than Sabbath, but does that mean that Zeppelin (or their male fans) were not macho (or less macho than Sabbath)? Honestly, given what I have read about Led Zeppelin's relation to women (and even little girls), I don't think so! I think Sabbath were/are both less macho and less sex symbols than Zeppelin. But then again, the sex appeal of musicians is not the only reason why (some) women go to rock concerts of male bands. Some, like me, just love the music. When I started listening to Sabbath, I didn't even know how they looked really. I sometimes put on their music when I am with my friends, and the portion of women who initially like it is not really low. I think Sabbath's magic has always predominantly been based on their music, maybe combined with the dark lyrics and image. Anyway, it clearly attracts more men than women - nobody is disputing that. (At the Sabbath show feat. Tony Martin on vocals that I attended in 1995, there was probably about 20% women, most of them real metal-heads. Of course, some probably came for Tiamat rather than Sabbath, but then again, I don't think Tiamat are exactly sex symbols. :-D I never attended an Ozzy-Sabbath show, the 1995 gig is the only Sabbath concert experience I can draw on.)
    Last edited by Sabbabbath; 01-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallOfSleep View Post
    As a Sabbath-loving high school kid in the seventies, I didn't know any chicks who were into Sabbath. The perception I had was that the average Sabbath fan was a lot like me: kind of a loner, outsider, stoner, and male. Sabbath was definitely a 'dudes only' band in my neck of the woods.
    Kind of similar to my experience, but in the 80's. When I went to my first concert (Sabbath in '86), there were a few of us from high school who went to the show, and one of them was a female, and I assume she was into Sabbath the same reason I was, because of the music and because Sabbath had a little more substance than what it seemed everyone else (at high school) was into at the time. I'm sure I read somewhere, (but can't remember when or where or even who said it, Geoff or Tony?) that Ray Gillen's presence in the band drew more of a female audience to the shows, Don't know how true that is, I'll have to figure out where I read that. Actually I remember a few girls at high school being more into Thrash than Black Sabbath, as Sabbath was kind of considered old hat by many, back in the late 80's around my area.
    Last edited by Axe fiend; 01-25-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe fiend View Post
    Ray Gillen's presence in the band drew more of a female audience to the shows.
    Bingo. Cute guys means more females in the crowd, in general.

I remember my wife-to-be and her best friend insisting that I go with them to a Bon Jovi concert back in 1987. Having seen Iron Maiden a few weeks prior, I was in ideal conditions to observe the difference in the crowds.

Bon Jovi fans were definitely way more female... and way more pre-teen than the crowd for Iron Maiden.

I can't disagree. If I had a choice between waking up one day with Bruce Dickinson's face or Jon Bon Jovi's face, I'd take the Bon Jovi face, any day.

And while Dickinson shouted out all his "SCREAM FOR ME!!!" lines, the screaming was non-stop for Bon Jovi, thanks to all the lungpower in 11-year-old girls wearing t-shirts that touch the ground. You do NOT say "Scream for me!" to a teenybopper crowd if you want your eardrums to survive!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    If I had a choice between waking up one day with Bruce Dickinson's face or Jon Bon Jovi's face, I'd take the Bon Jovi face, any day.
    Taste is definitely not a topic to fight about. Anyway, while I was wondering if I agree or disagree with your statement, it suddenly hit me that I feel Bill Ward in 1970 was 10 times more handsome than both Dickinson and Bon Jovi at any time. If you watch the Brussels aka Paris 1970 video, don't you think those are handsome guys?