Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    The McDonalds of rock they aren't (in my opinion), I'd hand that over to bands like Bachman Turner Overdrive, Status Quo, and Foghat.
    Yeah, they're more like the Coca-Cola Company... ;-)
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Dev - thanks for the response, I'll have a flic through those links shortly.
    I thought crazy nights was fab when I was young and it came on in the cinema whilst watching bill & teds excellent adventure(or could've been the other bill ted movie).
    What do you think of the new faith no more track?
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Get the first two albums (KISS and Hotter Than Hell) and that will tell you if you like em or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Get the first two albums (KISS and Hotter Than Hell) and that will tell you if you like em or not.
    Ok cheers wheels bro,
    Prob listen first on YouTube before a purchase though.

Yes, a prudent decision sir.

I never really thought much of them until I heard the early stuff.

Strutter, Cold Gin, Deuce, 100,000 Years and Black Diamond from the first album

Parasite, Goin Blind, Hotter Than Hell, Watchin You and Strange Ways from the second.

I stopped listening to Kiss after Lick it up and Asylum.

There are a couple pop radio tracks I liked from Animalize, Crazy Nights, and Hot in the Shade but I just wrote the band off after Ace left.

Ace is touring in December. Anyone going to see him? I'm hitting one of his shows. He's a great talent too bad he let all the drugs and alcohol sabotage his career.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    Ok cheers wheels bro,
    Prob listen first on YouTube before a purchase though.
    I'd listen to Alive. Those songs sound better/heavier on the live album.

I would recommend you pick up either Alive and Alive II or Double Platinum - that is a great 70s compilation with a good representation of some of their best material.

Kiss were awesome in the mid 70s and killer live.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Oh I just thought I would mention some albums to avoid{ I love most of them but they would not be representative of what put them in the hall of fame}

avoid - Hot In The Shade
    Unmasked
    Dynasty
    Carnival Of Souls
    The Elder
    Alive III
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I'm a fan. I guess I could be a die-hard since I like a lot of the 80's stuff, too. However, it's so lame that they have Tommy and Eric in Ace and Peter's makeup. Seriously, what a rip off. Hypocritical too since Paul and Gene like to say "no one cares who is in the band" but pay two guys to dress up so they look like the original band. It's lame. I wasn't into their last two albums either.

As for solo careers, I've felt inside Kiss, Paul is the best songwriter, but outside of Kiss Ace has the better solo career. His 78 album was the best and the only one that produced a hit single along with being the highest charting Kiss related single since 'Beth'. Paul's solo album is good and Live to Win was fine, but after hearing Ace's "Space Invader" I still feel he's the king of the group in solo efforts. Peter Criss' albums suck. I get they aren't really for the hard rock crowd but the music is just boring. Gene's solo albums are crap and there's times in his "A**hole" where it's just embarrassing. Gene's written great songs inside Kiss, but his solo efforts suck.

My favorite album is either Love Gun or Creatures of the Night. Of course Destroyer is in the conversation, but that's like the album you first get when you're getting into Kiss. It's great, but like any group, when you become a big fan of them chances are their most popular, most played album isn't your favorite

Pretty much agree with everything you said there Lord, except I've never gotten the love for Destroyer...great title mostly full of "soft" songs.
    I'm not suggesting it's a bad album, but a bit on the light side for me- Dynasty is often poo poohed but I'd take it over Destroyer.

I can't get past Eric and Tommy in the Cat/Spaceman makeup either, I can't stomach it.
    I've nothing against those two guys but they should be allowed to have their own makeup like Carr and VV did.

I'm probably a bigger fan than I realise because I don't mind Unmasked and think Music From The Elder has some gold on it too.
    Albums after Lick It Up are a bit hit and miss IMO, I like a song here and there off later albums though.

I hunted down Peter's "One For All" and was very disappointed, I don't mind that style of music he goes for at all but he could have done a lot better...the songs are weak, especially his vocals- which is disappointing because in my opinion he has the best voice out of all of them.

I rate Paul's 78 solo album quite highly (haven't heard Live To Win yet though) - Gene and Peter's are indeed terrible.

I liked "Modern Day Delilah" from the current KISS, but Ace is blowing them out of the water with albums like Space Invader (and Anomaly- horrible sound but I like the songs)

The thing about Destroyer is its an Ezrin driven KISS record. Bob is credited on every track & likely steered most of the material to his satisfaction. Destroyer is KISS with a heavy coat of polish, and its polish circa 1976. They weren't aiming for heavy, they were aiming at what Rock was about at the time. The only song I'm not so much in line with is Great Expectations and to a bigger extent, Beth. But Flaming Youth (especially Aces solo) is a definite high point (yeah the circus organ is slightly goofy, I'll admit that). And for as simple as Do You Love Me is, it's got a timeless swagger, and attitude.

If you listen to the Eddie Kramer produced studio albums (R&R Over & Love Gun), they're not much heavier then Destroyer in terms of guitar tones. But they're much more direct and a bit rawer. Furthermore, Kramer didnt tinker with the writing, so in certain ways it's a bit more honest. I think its a little funny that they've compared every new album to Destroyer in one way or another (even when Ezrin has been involved) but have never hit that ideal combination of songs & collaboration.

Wheels Im surprised to read you sell Gene's 78 solo album so short. I think there's a few aspects that never quite made sense, but the whole first side, or first 1/2 I think is pretty solid. Agree on the Peter assessment. Also I'll say aside from I Was Made For Loving You, Dynasty has some great songs. If the album had the production of the Eddie Kramer albums it would have had a different reaction. Still, aside from the one song, the music is good, it just suffers from a weaker slicker poppier production. Stuff like Save Your Love, Charisma, Magic Touch, & Dirty Livin are pretty cool.

For the 80's material I agree with Wheels on the Elder comments. I'd say more then 1/2 the album are keepers. But the running order doesnt work all the time.

Cant say as much for Lick It Up. That one, Hot in the Shade & the grunge album are totally un-listenable for me. Animalize & Asylum are better, Crazy Nights has a song or two.

Asshole, & Live To Win, as well as Monster & Sonic Boom all pretty much forgettable. I think its ironic that Gene claims rock is dead, he seemed to forgot how to write it sometime around 1993.

Dynasty is often poo poohed but I'd take it over Destroyer.
    Me too. I like Dynasty a lot, but I think I like Destroyer more than you. I'll never get tired of "Detroit Rock City" like I did with "Beth" or Rock and Roll All Nite for that matter.

Listened to blood diamond, deuce and a few others you posted dev, pretty rocking and not as lame as I half expected, think I missed the boat a bit with kiss though,
    See parallels between them and ufo, guess kiss was big in America but never really made it over here and vice versa with ufo,
    As for status quo dev, Piledriver is a pretty good album for the time I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    Listened to blood diamond, deuce and a few others you posted dev, pretty rocking and not as lame as I half expected, think I missed the boat a bit with kiss though,
    See parallels between them and ufo, guess kiss was big in America but never really made it over here and vice versa with ufo,
    As for status quo dev, Piledriver is a pretty good album for the time I guess.
    Well KISS made some degree of impact in the UK, however their biggest problem was they attained massive success in the States within 2 or 3 years. Their stage show grew in that time as well. But since their popularity wasn't growing at the same rate as in the US they couldn't justify booking large places in England or parts of Europe, since they probably wouldn't turn a profit. So their presence over there was slight. Still, they did make some sort of impact on the territories over there and toured the UK/Europe in the Spring of 76, not returning however until 1980 & 83.

The one thing going against KISS to a large sect of the public was their image. Since KISS first came on the scene many people listened with their eyes. They saw pics of Gene spitting fire, and the Make up and costumes then immediately decided that if they had to resort to those circus antics, they must not be able to write good songs. Since KISS toured so seldom outside of North America Im sure many people who may have liked them (had they bothered to hear the band) ignored them.

Anyway Spiral, glad to know you found something worthwhile in those clips. Ill check out Status Quo's Piledriver & see how I like that.
    Last edited by devstorm; 11-26-2014 at 11:03 PM.

True but the image thing is also probably a big plus too in some ways,
    It probably worked massively in there favour also with teenage fans,
    After checking the clips out they could obviously back it up with the music too,
    Perfect package really.
    Just not heavy enough lol

I replied some other thread that I like Kiss because if they were cool enough for Dimebag Derrel Abbott, they're cool enough for me. Granted I never enlisted myself into the Kiss Army, put on the make up, and/or saw a concert live, but the history itself fascinates me. I see the make up on and off a band line up change with in it's self. I bought myself a box set and three albums recently to give a listen and some of it is really good.

Having Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer wear the Cat/Spaceman makeup isn't right though, they should be allowed to have their own like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent.
    Or for those two not to wear makeup at all, but I fully agree.
    Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-23-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Banned

Quo are one of the best old time rock bands ever. Huge across the Atlantic for sure.

Lizzy > Zeppelin > Kiss > Quo > Slade > Ac/dc

I have also come to respect Unmasked and Dynasty which both are quite good. Elder of course ... is legendary or not depending on who you ask. I love half of it.
    Last edited by Sin Cardinal Sin; 05-23-2016 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
    Quo are one of the best old time rock bands ever. Huge across the Atlantic for sure.

Lizzy > Zeppelin > Kiss > Quo > Slade > Ac/dc

I have also come to respect Unmasked and Dynasty which both are quite good. Elder of course ... is legendary or not depending on who you ask. I love half of it.
    Can't say I'm too big on Status Quo, I know they have a few good tunes but how you could compare them to monsters like ACDC...?

Anyways, I love half of The Elder too.
    Dynasty gets lumped as "the disco album" but besides I Was Made For...and perhaps Dirty Livin (both being "disco") it's a solid hard rock album, and it's got alot of Ace songs.
    Unmasked is nowhere near as strong as Dynasty but it's still a pretty decent album.

Banned

Can't say I'm too big on Status Quo, I know they have a few good tunes but how you could compare them to monsters like ACDC...?

Anyways, I love half of The Elder too.
    Dynasty gets lumped as "the disco album" but besides I Was Made For...and perhaps Dirty Livin (both being "disco") it's a solid hard rock album, and it's got alot of Ace songs.
    Unmasked is nowhere near as strong as Dynasty but it's still a pretty decent album.
    They have many good albums.

They could take 12 bar blues and bring Maiden like complexity to it.

WTF ?? Not at all a fan of Kiss but I dare to imagine the reaction of the public when he/she comes on stage! I've surely missed something...
    Grotesque situation.

The world is changing for the worse.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    sadly true .

Man, I love VV's work and think he's music was awesome. I hope he releases something new. We need to support the old school rockers of yore. These days, new metal bands are posers. Good luck Vinnie and thanks TYR66 for sharing the YouTube link.

Banned

Yep! So much hate out there these days...

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    Man, I love VV's work and think he's music was awesome. I hope he releases something new. We need to support the old school rockers of yore. These days, new metal bands are posers. Good luck Vinnie
    Agree, Creatures & LIU features some of the best Kiss stuff they ever put out, certainly since Destroyer.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Well, you elected him yourself...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Yep! So much hate out there these days...
    I do my best not to hate Jack, immoral things I cannot accept, it's not hating.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Well, you elected him yourself...
    Yes I did, and proud of it, he's cleaning things up here in America, the cesspool that was left behind.

Yes I did, and proud of it, he's cleaning things up here in America, the cesspool that was left behind.
    Best President at the perfect time \m/

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    Best President at the perfect time \m/
    Amen......

Trump 2020!

Gotta say I wasn’t always a KISS fan, but I have become more of a fan than I use to be, not all bad.

KISS were the first band I ever got into. Ace Frehley is the reason I play guitar today.

KISS, Aerosmith and Nugent were THE big bands in my neighbourhood, even with most of the girls (rough neighbourhood). The rich kids on the south side of town listened mostly to disco trash.

My sister bought me the cassette of Gene Simmons' solo album for my 13th birthday. Since there were no credits I thought the other KISS guys were playing on it!

I later bought the single edit of disco trash "I Was Made For Lovin' You" b/w Ace's "Hard Times" when I was 13 (1979). I thought "Hard Times" was much better.

My parents bought me the Dynasty LP shortly after. Even my disco-loving girlfriend of the time liked the disco-ish tracks on it. I liked Ace's songs the best. His reworking of "2000 Man" is killer.

The first rock album I ever bought was Destroyer. Loved it, played it to death. I think I got my first handjob to "Beth." (No, her name wasn't "Beth.")

I grew out of them after Unmasked, mostly due to discovering other bands - BLACK SABBATH, Rush, Van Halen, AC/DC, Pat Travers and then the NWOBHM, though I bought The Elder and liked the heavier tracks on it. Still do.

I loved Creatures Of The Night and it is still one of my "Desert Island Discs." Man, the drum sound!

Most of the '80s albums were, meh, though I did see them twice on the Animalize tour, once with Queensryche opening (they were better than KISS!) and once with W.A.S.P. (who sucked shit; mostly composed of Bluey Clueless' between-song raps about how he wanted to bang all the underage girls in the audience. Yawn.). Bruce Kulick burned at both gigs and Eric Carr thundered.

I thought Revenge was a great comeback and almost approached Creatures in heaviness.

Since I hated grunge, I didn't at all like Carnival Of Souls.

I did like Ace Frehley's take on Alive! when asked about if it is really "live" or not: "Does it really matter?" I have his bio No Regrets. It's a wonder he's still alive. I also have Simmons' biography, KISS And Make Up. He really did have a hard life when he first came to America but it doesn't justify the way he treats people like shit now. He said in Rolling Stone that he doesn't have any real friends (including Paul Stanley - they hardly see each other outside of KISS business). He said "I have business associates. It's easier that way."

I feel an affinity with Peter Criss because he is a breast cancer survivor and my wife died of that horrible disease.

I think they're just a novelty/Vegas act now.

As to "essential" albums? Alive!, Destroyer, Rock And Roll Over, Love Gun, Creatures Of The Night, Revenge.

The solo albums...actually, I like all of them for different reasons. Ace's is the heaviest, Paul's has the most KISS-like material, I like Peter's just because it's so different, Gene's is probably the most diverse and everyone and their little brother is on it (Joe Perry, Rick Nielsen, Bob Seger...and Helen Reddy!).

I met Vinnie Vincent and Dana Strum in January 1987 when they came to my hometown of Goshen, Indiana to speak out in support of a woman who was being harassed by a Pentecostal fundamentalist preacher for trying to put together a little magazine ("Rock Rag Plus") featuring local rock talent. I knew the woman, Marianne Hatfield, fairly well and heard some of the frankly shocking messages the church members left on her answering machine. I went to one of the church services...with a hangover, and if you know anything about Pentecostalist services (speaking in tongues) etc., you'll deduce I had a masochistic turn of behaviour that Sunday morning. Actually, and I'm not trying to get over-religious here, as a believer myself, the way this preacher (who is dead now) and church treated Mrs Hatfield embarrassed and ashamed me.

http://www.spanglefish.com/RockAndRo...p?pageid=98078

If somehow there are any TV clips of when that happened, I am in them here and there and was interviewed briefly. Vinnie and Dana were really cool and autographed a pink-vinyl promotional single for me. I still have it. The VVI song "Let Freedom Rock" is about that incident.

I saw Frehley's Comet on their first tour in LaPorte, Indiana, with White Lion (the biggest Van Halen clone I have ever seen) opening. As you can imagine, Ace was a lot of fun onstage and delivered an entertaining show.

KISS now? To me they really don't exist. The last album I heard anything off of was Psycho Circus​, which was mostly session players anyway.
    Last edited by DiosSword; 04-01-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    But Flaming Youth (especially Aces solo) is a definite high point
    Except that Ace didn't play the solo. Dick Wagner, from Alice Cooper's band, did. Ezrin said Ace just didn't bother to show up because he was in a card game and since he knew the Cooper band guys so well from working with them, he called Dick Wagner. However, Ace did co-write the song.

Ezrin was never shy about bringing in outside players. Eric Carr doesn't play drums on "I" from The Elder. Allan Schwartzberg, who played on Gene's solo album, does.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    KISS were the first band I ever got into. Ace Frehley is the reason I play guitar today.

KISS, Aerosmith and Nugent were THE big bands in my neighbourhood, even with most of the girls (rough neighbourhood). The rich kids on the south side of town listened mostly to disco trash.

My sister bought me the cassette of Gene Simmons' solo album for my 13th birthday. Since there were no credits I thought the other KISS guys were playing on it!

I later bought the single edit of disco trash "I Was Made For Lovin' You" b/w Ace's "Hard Times" when I was 13 (1979). I thought "Hard Times" was much better.

My parents bought me the Dynasty LP shortly after. Even my disco-loving girlfriend of the time liked the disco-ish tracks on it. I liked Ace's songs the best. His reworking of "2000 Man" is killer.

The first rock album I ever bought was Destroyer. Loved it, played it to death. I think I got my first handjob to "Beth." (No, her name wasn't "Beth.")

I grew out of them after Unmasked, mostly due to discovering other bands - BLACK SABBATH, Rush, Van Halen, AC/DC, Pat Travers and then the NWOBHM, though I bought The Elder and liked the heavier tracks on it. Still do.

I loved Creatures Of The Night and it is still one of my "Desert Island Discs." Man, the drum sound!

Most of the '80s albums were, meh, though I did see them twice on the Animalize tour, once with Queensryche opening (they were better than KISS!) and once with W.A.S.P. (who sucked shit; mostly composed of Bluey Clueless' between-song raps about how he wanted to bang all the underage girls in the audience. Yawn.). Bruce Kulick burned at both gigs and Eric Carr thundered.

I thought Revenge was a great comeback and almost approached Creatures in heaviness.

Since I hated grunge, I didn't at all like Carnival Of Souls.

I did like Ace Frehley's take on Alive! when asked about if it is really "live" or not: "Does it really matter?" I have his bio No Regrets. It's a wonder he's still alive. I also have Simmons' biography, KISS And Make Up. He really did have a hard life when he first came to America but it doesn't justify the way he treats people like shit now. He said in Rolling Stone that he doesn't have any real friends (including Paul Stanley - they hardly see each other outside of KISS business). He said "I have business associates. It's easier that way."

I feel an affinity with Peter Criss because he is a breast cancer survivor and my wife died of that horrible disease.

I think they're just a novelty/Vegas act now.

As to "essential" albums? Alive!, Destroyer, Rock And Roll Over, Love Gun, Creatures Of The Night, Revenge.

The solo albums...actually, I like all of them for different reasons. Ace's is the heaviest, Paul's has the most KISS-like material, I like Peter's just because it's so different, Gene's is probably the most diverse and everyone and their little brother is on it (Joe Perry, Rick Nielsen, Bob Seger...and Helen Reddy!).

I met Vinnie Vincent and Dana Strum in January 1987 when they came to my hometown of Goshen, Indiana to speak out in support of a woman who was being harassed by a Pentecostal fundamentalist preacher for trying to put together a little magazine ("Rock Rag Plus") featuring local rock talent. I knew the woman, Marianne Hatfield, fairly well and heard some of the frankly shocking messages the church members left on her answering machine. I went to one of the church services...with a hangover, and if you know anything about Pentecostalist services (speaking in tongues) etc., you'll deduce I had a masochistic turn of behaviour that Sunday morning. Actually, and I'm not trying to get over-religious here, as a believer myself, the way this preacher (who is dead now) and church treated Mrs Hatfield embarrassed and ashamed me.

http://www.spanglefish.com/RockAndRo...p?pageid=98078

If somehow there are any TV clips of when that happened, I am in them here and there and was interviewed briefly. Vinnie and Dana were really cool and autographed a pink-vinyl promotional single for me. I still have it. The VVI song "Let Freedom Rock" is about that incident.

I saw Frehley's Comet on their first tour in LaPorte, Indiana, with White Lion (the biggest Van Halen clone I have ever seen) opening. As you can imagine, Ace was a lot of fun onstage and delivered an entertaining show.

KISS now? To me they really don't exist. The last album I heard anything off of was Psycho Circus​, which was mostly session players anyway.
    Great post!

For any Kiss fans here in New Jersey or New York, Paul Stanley will be at the Short Hills mall at the art gallery they have there, you can even have dinner with him.