Thread: Iced Earth

Default Iced Earth

Anyone listen to these guys? I only got into them a few years ago when someone told me if I liked Maiden I should check them out.

I haven't heard anything prior to Something Wicked, I heard before that album they were thrash which I'm not a huge fan of.

Banned

I'm a fan...

Got really interested in the band back in 2004 when Tim Owens joined them...He really brought the band to a whole new level with his incredible vocals...slowly I started getting into the earlier stuff too...

The Glorious Burden is my favourite album for sure. Tim's vocals on it are simply AMAZING to put it mildly. And the lyrics and the themes on it are pure brilliance as well...Gettysburg Trilogy is pretty close of being one the greatest pieces of music written.

Who ever said that Iced Earth was thrash doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. No...they're classic heavy metal with some power metal elements.

Night Of The Stormrider is my second favourite album...John Greely's vocals are amazing and the riffing on it is just stellar. I'll highly recommend getting that album if you don't already have it...you surely won't be disappointed.

The debut has some brilliant music as well but Gene Adam's vocals are surely an acquired taste....he pretty much just wails on through instead of singing...

Burnt Offerings is my least favourite of the old classic albums, but the title track Last December and ofcourse the over 15 minute epic Dante's Inferno are brilliant. But in truth I actually like the new version with Stu Block better than the original.

Dark Saga is a bit of a hit and miss album, but it does have some incredible tracks too like the title track, Violate, Vengeance Is Mine and Slave To The Dark...

Something Wicked is a good album, but the fast song/slow song/fast song/slow song track split is bit tedious really...it hurts the album's flow. Great tracks on it though like Burning Times, Melandholy, Diciples Of The Lie, My Own Savior and Stand Alone...Obviously I do prefer the remake of the Something Wicked Trilogy with Tim...he truly adds something awesome into it...also it's musically much more diverese.

Horror Show is another hit and miss album for me...but I do like the horror movie theme though....but some songs just don't work...Dracula though it one of Iced Earth's best songs ever.

Framing Armageddon has Tim pushing his vocals suberbly again, but I don't know there's still something missing....not enough cool riffing and bit too much complexity in the songs I'd say...but Ten Thousand Strong and especially The Clouding are brilliant.

Crucible Of Man...I don't know...haven't heard this one...I was so mad at Jon for firing Tim the way he did I refused to touch this album...I've heard few songs and truly was not impressed...Matt's delivery is way off and it just kind of drags on.

Dystopia was an album I finally bought years after it's release cause it was on sale...Stu tries to just imitate Barlow and it doesn't really do a whole lot for me....also the songs sound rather uninspired really...nothing captured me like on most previous IE albums....bottom of the barrel with Crucible.

Haven't heard Plagues Of Babylon yet...but people are saying that it is getting closer to the old style IE again with some classic riffing...I'll check it out at some point...as soon as the price comes down...i won't give Jon any more money than I have to!

All in all before Tim joined the band was great, when he joined it became suberb and when he was fired the band went down hill fast...both musically and vocally....Jon lost his way with the whole Something Wicked thing...tried to do something bit too much...didn't work. Also the everlasting line up changes surely didn't help...I don't think he's even managed to get through one album/tour with the same line up anymore...tells something about the man and his character I'd say...sad because he truly is a great writer and guitar player when he puts his mind to it.

All of what Charger says is true but I probably like Framing Armageddon more than he does. They definitely lost their way after that one the last three are okay just not great
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Thanks Charger, I'll definitely check out the older stuff. I'm in agreement with the Tim Owens era and "Glorious Burden" is my favorite....always cranking that in the car.
    It took a few listens but I really got into "Framing"....yes "Crucible" was a big disappointment, but I do like a lot of tunes on "Dystopia". I've yet to check out the new one.

The only ones I have heard are Horror Show and Crucible Of Man. They are solid releases but I am not that impressed with either of them.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Maybe check out The Glorious Burden...you may like it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deranged View Post
    Thanks Charger, I'll definitely check out the older stuff. I'm in agreement with the Tim Owens era and "Glorious Burden" is my favorite....always cranking that in the car.
    It took a few listens but I really got into "Framing"....yes "Crucible" was a big disappointment, but I do like a lot of tunes on "Dystopia". I've yet to check out the new one.
    TGB really is a suberb album...a true metal classic in my book.

Framing is a grower for sure...there's so much going on there...and the story isn't always the easiest to follow either, but it is a very interesting one though...always loved the Setian story line.

I'd say check out Night Of The Stormrider first...I'm pretty sure you'll like it!

I am a huge fan and got into the band right when Burnt Offerings came out and was blown away. I much prefer the Matt Barlow era and their two best are The Dark Saga and Something Wicked. Both are unbelievable and diverse. I lost interest when Ripper joined the band as I am not a huge fan of his voice (except for the Jugulator record.) I think their last two with Stu Block have been an excellent return to form.

Night of the Stormrider is amazing but check out the way Barlow performs the material on Days of Purgatory. I saw them live on The Something Wicked tour and then last year opening for Volbeat. They are excellent live.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Night of the Stormrider is amazing but check out the way Barlow performs the material on Days of Purgatory.
    I'll take Greely over Barlow any day of the week. The problem with Barlow is that he's a one trick pony. He has no diversity in his voice and his highs are more like tired whines. But his deeper register is stellar though, but it get tiresome over time. He sings songs written for his voice well, but the other stuff...nah.

I've been listening to hard rock/heavy metal for over 35 years and I just discovered Iced Earth. Crazy! I was thinking of getting The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes with Matt Barlow, and Dystopia and Incorruptible with Stu Block. Maybe get the 2 with Ripper Owens, any thoughts?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by led sabbath View Post
    I've been listening to hard rock/heavy metal for over 35 years and I just discovered Iced Earth. Crazy! I was thinking of getting The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes with Matt Barlow, and Dystopia and Incorruptible with Stu Block. Maybe get the 2 with Ripper Owens, any thoughts?
    2 albums above all others and they should be the ones to get: Night Of The Stormrider and The Glorious Burden...the latter being the band's high water mark for sure a pure masterpiece from start to finish...the Gettysburg Trilogy is among the greatest pieces of music ever recorded....

Iced Earth has made some incredible metal albums. Night of the Stormrider, The Dark Saga, Horror Show, and The Glorious Burden are all stellar.

I agree with Charger that the band went downhill after they fired Tim Owens. Their last few albums have not impressed me.