Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tony iommi: 'hyde park could be sabbath's last gig'

So this might be it for Sabbath on the touring front, but I sure hope it isn't (and so does Tony according to the article)

Even if massive world tours are off the books, I know they could pull of short US, UK and European treks every once in a while. Or some festival appearances etc.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...ath-s-last-gig
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I know some of you guys (like my "mortal enemies" NID and OIM ) have just seen Sabbath live (and with Ozzy singing well, all things considered) but in these later years I would ideally have Ozzy retire from touring and concentrate on making brilliant albums again.

I know it would never happen, but a (series of) studio album(s) with Ozzy, Bob Daisley (back in his lyric writing capacity), Jake E Lee or a tasteful, old school guitarist and a classic style drummer (chuck Don Airey in there) to finish off the solo career with a producer that really pushed Ozzy to bring his A game would be my dream situation.

And just apply the same thing to Sabbath, let them go crazy with overdubbing etc.

Tony and Geezer can pretty much go till they drop live, Ozzy or any singer has a limited shelf life and I'd like to get the most out of him personally.
    Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 05-14-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Idon't quite understand this statement he made about his cancer? What's he mean "no support"

"I'm at a stage now where I have no support, which means I have to see whether the cancer is coming back or if it's still there or what,” he says. “I just don't know. It's a bit of a worry. After we finish this tour I'll go in and have scan, so we'll see what that shows up.”

Tony is right. The future is very uncertain, and that is why Mrs NiD and I made a point of seeing Sabbath 3 times in the past year. I am old enough to have seen many bands meet their demise, and I regret when that happens. There was no way that I was going to let this opportunity slide without making an effort to soak it all in. I believe in my gut that I will never see Sabbath play live again, and at this stage of the game, I will take whatever they can give us, while cherishing the memories that I do have. Unfortunately, cancer has touched many of my friends and family, and one of them has had lymphoma like Tony. Tony's next year will be spent on pins and needles, as he goes through repeated tests. Sadly, lymphoma does have a tendency to come back, so let's hope and pray that he fairs well into the future.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 05-14-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Idon't quite understand this statement he made about his cancer? What's he mean "no support"

"I'm at a stage now where I have no support, which means I have to see whether the cancer is coming back or if it's still there or what,” he says. “I just don't know. It's a bit of a worry. After we finish this tour I'll go in and have scan, so we'll see what that shows up.”
    What he means is that the chemo is done, and the cancer has been beaten down. However, as he moves into the future, he will have "no support" (from the chemo), and it will be up to his body to maintain the fight, or to allow the lymphoma to relapse.

I'll leave you all (for the summer) with this:

The end is becoming clearer and getting closer, I've been saying this to everyone for the last few years...go, see and win WHILE YOU STILL CAN. Anyone who wants and eventually goes to see Black Sabbath at this point of their career, should go through it like it indeed was the last time ever. You'll never know when it's the last time, it might be the next time. When it's over, it's over. You're definitely happier to have been there on location on the last possible moment than having missed the opportunity for whatever excuses.

Dio is a perfect example of this thinking. Each and every time when he walked out of the stage (5 x Dio shows, 3 x Heaven & Hell shows), I always thanked him and prayed for him in my mind, reveling in the happiness of the moment of just having experienced a show of a lifetime, always hoping to see him again once more...less than a year after the last Heaven & Hell show, Dio had passed away from this life to the next...

CARPE DIEM, Black Sabbath fans!!! Obey the force of heavy metal!!! Do it NOW!!!

Sabbathman
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    Tony is right. The future is very uncertain, and that is why Mrs NiD and I made a point of seeing Sabbath 3 times in the past year. I am old enough to have seen many bands meet their demise, and I regret when that happens. There was no way that I was going to let this opportunity slide without making an effort to soak it all in. I believe in my gut that I will never see Sabbath play live again, and at this stage of the game, I will take whatever they can give us, while cherishing the memories that I do have. Unfortunately, cancer has touched many of my friends and family, and one of them has had lymphoma like Tony. Tony's next year will be spent on pins and needles, as he goes through repeated tests. Sadly, lymphoma does have a tendency to come back, so let's hope and pray that he fairs well into the future.
    Same here, I made the absolute most of it and travelled around Australia seeing them on their last tour. It took them nearly 40 years to get back here with Ozzy & I knew they wouldn't be back. Only saw H & H the once on their 2007 Aussie tour & now regret that I didn't travel around Australia on that tour as well.

I have never been aboard due to band. But all this made to think would it now be the time to do this. And it is Black Sabbath! Hyde Park gig would be in the beginning of my summer holiday so it could be doable. Hmmm...

Some quick calculation: for 2 persons it would be nearly 1000 euros in total (flights, tickets, hotel), maybe little bit too expensive (and I saw them in Helsinki show )
    Last edited by NibRules; 05-15-2014 at 01:21 AM.

I made the most of it between 1997 - 2009. Since then its been too uncertain, or undesirable for me. To me theres a difference between seeing a band while still in their prime and seeing the last of the last. But if this is the end, I was there; I witnessed it from the rafters all the way to the front rows. And I was able to see one of the legendary bands of all time bring it like few others could.. Anyway, I'm more then satisfied. If you werent there.. oh well..

...although I understand completely if it's true.

I really don't know if I'll ever have the chance to see them :(
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Saw them 8 times since 1997. Each one was awesome. No regrets.

Mansfield 97 Toronto 99 Hartford 99 Hartford 01 Hartford 04 Toronto 13 London 14 Hamilton 14

glad i saw them last year, had a feeling this might be it.
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

I've seen them every time they have come thru our city in various incarnations, really happy I had a chance to see them with Ozzy in April. Who knows they may do some one off shows rather than tours if Tony's health improves which is of primary importance.

personally i hope his cancer is in remission,and he feels better ,that's all that really matters.
    i'm sure if healthy they will do something,god willing.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiST View Post
    I really don't know if I'll ever have the chance to see them :(
    I feel for you. I made sure I saw them this time around since I was uncertain of their future because of Tony's health and just the fact that things could have fell apart for other reasons. So I hope things work out and you have your chance.

Could be, or could be a little bit of PR to sell tickets.
    Hyde park is fucking HUGE!!
    This one ain't gonna be a sell out... Could do if it's their last ever concert though. wink wink,
    Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 05-19-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Truly grateful they toured Australia one last time.

They will play more shows again.

Maybe wrong thread but

Apparently they played
    Wicked World last night
    in Abu Dhabi
    I hope they keep it on the setlist Only a week until I see them at Sweden Rock Festival

War Pigs
    Into the Void
    Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
    Snowblind
    Age of Reason
    Black Sabbath
    Wicked World
    (First time live since August 22, 1975)
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    N.I.B.
    (Preceded by "Bassically" … more)
    End of the Beginning
    Fairies Wear Boots
    Rat Salad
    (with Drum Solo)
    Iron Man
    God Is Dead?
    Dirty Women
    Children of the Grave
    Encore:
    Paranoid
    (with "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" intro)

Ozzy sounds great.This is the only video i find on youtube
    Last edited by svullo; 05-30-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by svullo View Post
    Maybe wrong thread but

Apparently they played
    Wicked World last night
    in Abu Dhabi
    I hope they keep it on the setlist Only a week until I see them at Sweden Rock Festival

War Pigs
    Into the Void
    Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
    Snowblind
    Age of Reason
    Black Sabbath
    Wicked World
    (First time live since August 22, 1975)
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    N.I.B.
    (Preceded by "Bassically" … more)
    End of the Beginning
    Fairies Wear Boots
    Rat Salad
    (with Drum Solo)
    Iron Man
    God Is Dead?
    Dirty Women
    Children of the Grave
    Encore:
    Paranoid
    (with "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" intro)

Ozzy sounds great.This is the only video i find on youtube
    Thanks svullo! I have been looking for footage from last nights show. Glad to know that WW is back in the set. That was long over due.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    False. Someone who was there told me the set list is unchanged from other 2014 concerts.
    Too good to be true

The setlist in Moscow was identical to the one in Abu Dhabi with two exceptions: No Wicked World and no Paranoid (due to technical issues).

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    The setlist in Moscow was identical to the one in Abu Dhabi with two exceptions: No Wicked World and no Paranoid (due to technical issues).
    There was no WW in Abu Dhabi.

the show yesterday ended up in a disaster. that was my 15th time with Ozzy & Sabs. But fuck, that was screwed up: right in the middle of "children of the grave" the whole venue PA shut down. obviously the band didn't realize that and proceeded to play the song without pauses, as their monitors were working fine. then they went backstage for a traditional encore with "paranoid"... and simply never returned. that sucked big time. screw PA failure, it doesn't matter who had shitted their pants (venue, which is very much likely, or the band), but to not go out and bow before the fans, even not saying goodbye, that's lame. man, Sabs haven't played Moscow since 1989, and never with Ozzy before. I know that a lot people were waiting for that gig since 70s. and to go out like that, not very professional. the same goes to promoters, actually, no one apologized for the situation. they just switched the lights on and put on 'zeitgeist' 10 mins after the incident.

P.S. actually the band played great (as usual), Ozzy was quite OK. now I'm listening to the recording of the show and he sounds not so perfect, but when I was at the gig, he sounded like superb.
    Last edited by AlexBarghest; 06-02-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBarghest View Post
    the show yesterday ended up in a disaster. that was my 15th time with Ozzy & Sabs. But fuck, that was screwed up: right in the middle of "children of the grave" the whole venue PA shut down. obviously the band didn't realize that and proceeded to play the song without pauses, as their monitors were working fine. then they went backstage for a traditional encore with "paranoid"... and simply never returned. that sucked big time. screw PA failure, it doesn't matter who had shitted their pants (venue, which is very much likely, or the band), but to not go out and bow before the fans, even not saying goodbye, that's lame. man, Sabs haven't played Moscow since 1989, and never with Ozzy before. I know that a lot people were waiting for that gig since 70s. and to go out like that, not very professional. the same goes to promoters, actually, no one apologized for the situation. they just switched the lights on and put on 'zeitgeist' 10 mins after the incident.

P.S. actually the band played great (as usual), Ozzy was quite OK. now I'm listening to the recording of the show and he sounds not so perfect, but when I was at the gig, he sounded like superb.
    Glad to hear they played great, but disappointing how it ended for sure. Maybe the P.A was shut down on purpose because of some time curfew or local laws. Still doesn't explain why they didn't at least come out for a bow and a thankyou though. Maybe they cracked the shits or something.

I just skimmed through some clips from that show from YouTube. They sounded good sucks how it ended.

The PA system was not shut off due to some curfew or local laws. It was most likely the result of some intern tripping over a cable, someone pulling the wrong switch at the wrong time, or just hardware failure. As Alex said, the band was unaware of it until they walked off stage. It’s difficult to the reasoning as to why they didn’t come back and face the audience after the show. I guess they didn’t want to disappoint people by not playing Paranoid, but I’m sure most people would have understood that it was beyond their control. Getting up on stage and saying goodbye (even without a working audio system) would have gone a long way. Perhaps the venue advised them not to go back up or something? In any case, I don’t know how it all ended up, because as soon as I heard Zeitgeist, that was my cue to get out. As far as I know, there was been no official Sab statement about this yet. The only thing I found resembling an apology comes from here: http://vk.com/wall-4921329?own=1

Overall though, I really liked the show. I saw them back in 2005, but this time it was a lot better in my opinion, perhaps because the setlist was more to my liking. Ozzy sounded fantastic for the most part. That had been my main worry before the concert, especially after hearing youube clips from the Australian and NA tours. The only time he was noticeably out of key was on Age of Reason and partly on God is Dead, but it didn’t take anything away from the overall experience and I’m very happy they kept those songs in the setlist.

The song that was the most appreciated by the audience, at least where I stood, was clearly Iron Man. Next to me, a man who must have been in his mid-fifties (Sunday shirt, glasses, bald spot) just lost it when he heard Iommi making those introductory string bends. At that point, it just struck me that he might have started listening to Sabbath when Brezhnev (!) was still around. It’s amazing that music can have that effect on people. My favorite song of the night was Under the Sun, though. Even if most people probably probably hadn’t heard it before they played it, it went down really well and everybody started jumping like crazy during the main riff.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

Alex, glad the show was great. I'll bet that "officials" threw the switch and did not allow the band to go out for a curtain call. I highly doubt that the Sabs were behind these bad manners. Give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSun View Post
    My favorite song of the night was Under the Sun
    I would never have guessed that...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Actually official statement with apologies from the band was posted through promoters Facebook page. And it’s already all over the place. IMHO, apologies should have been done there and then. And again, main bitterness comes not from the incident with failed PAs (shot happens, that’s life) , but from the way how the band left the stage without saying goodbye to people, who have been supporting the band for decades even behind the “iron curtain” (shit, I was with my father, who listened to them since mid70s). Oh yeah, and the reason cites as malfunctioning of band’s mixing desk.

Alex, glad the show was great. I'll bet that "officials" threw the switch and did not allow the band to go out for a curtain call. I highly doubt that the Sabs were behind these bad manners. Give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    NiD, I doubt those in power would had have had anything to do with this case. There was an aura of complete confusion, though. But yeah the gig was great otherwise, and the recording turned out to be superb as well, which makes the lack of complete "cofhg" and "paranoid" a tangible loss.
    Last edited by AlexBarghest; 06-02-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBarghest View Post
    Actually official statement with apologies from the band was posted through promoters Facebook page. And it’s already all over the place. IMHO, apologies should have been done there and then. And again, main bitterness comes not from the incident with failed PAs (shot happens, that’s life) , but from the way how the band left the stage without saying goodbye to people, who have been supporting the band for decades even behind the “iron curtain” (shit, I was with my father, who listened to them since mid70s). Oh yeah, and the reason cites as malfunctioning of band’s mixing desk.

So help me understand something.

How exactly was the band supposed to go out with no working PA and somehow announce (in a language they don't speak) to thousands of roaring, impatient fans that they couldn't play an encore?

I guess I'm not following this reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    So help me understand something.

How exactly was the band supposed to go out with no working PA and somehow announce (in a language they don't speak) to thousands of roaring, impatient fans that they couldn't play an encore?

I guess I'm not following this reasoning.
    That's being a little silly Tim. Take the sound system out of the equation, and ask yourself if they take a final bow in other countries where they don't speak the language. Of course they do, and if the sound system is working, they speak in English; just like they don't change their lyrics into different languages for different audiences.

That's being a little silly Tim. Take the sound system out of the equation, and ask yourself if they take a final bow in other countries where they don't speak the language. Of course they do, and if the sound system is working, they speak in English; just like they don't change their lyrics into different languages for different audiences.
    The sound system wasn't working. So might as well delete your last sentence, Later In Lightness.

I'm assuming they took their bows after CotG. Was this not the case?

So unless I am not following something ("silly" me), the request is for them to come out to a confused, loud audience and take another bow? With no ability to explain what is going on?
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.

They didn't take any bows after CotG. After that song, they were still unaware of the failing PA system and so they left the stage completely unceremoniously.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

*I blame $haron for this fiasco.

*humor

I'm assuming they took their bows after CotG. Was this not the case?

So unless I am not following something ("silly" me), the request is for them to come out to a confused, loud audience and take another bow? With no ability to explain what is going on?
    As you say yourself; you're assuming they took their bows after cotg. If you'd actually read Alex's post, you'd see they finished cotg without even knowing the audience couldn't hear them. For those of us with atleast half a thought in our brain, that would make us assume they didn't know about the PA-failure until getting backstage, getting ready for the encore. (Now this is me assuming): They probably heard about the failure then, and (probably a bit bewildered) chose to end the show there (though i agree with Alex and everyone else who feel they should've gone out to atleast take a bow). Be careful throwing silly-words around, you might end up looking a bit silly yourself. I know, i do it every day...

Later In Lightness.
    Talking about silly...

I thought we'd get rid of this name calling now with Stinky RP gone...
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    As you say yourself; you're assuming they took their bows after cotg. If you'd actually read Alex's post, you'd see they finished cotg without even knowing the audience couldn't hear them. For those of us with atleast half a thought in our brain, that would make us assume they didn't know about the PA-failure until getting backstage, getting ready for the encore. (Now this is me assuming): They probably heard about the failure then, and (probably a bit bewildered) chose to end the show there (though i agree with Alex and everyone else who feel they should've gone out to atleast take a bow). Be careful throwing silly-words around, you might end up looking a bit silly yourself. I know, i do it every day...
    Ok, since when after CotG do they not wave and say goodbye? Sure, it's standard procedure because they are coming back, so maybe they don't "bow," but it isn't as if they just walk off the stage with no waving and so forth.

I am sorry people some people at the show were so concerned with a "bow" but my guess is that for security reasons they were advised to bring the house lights up and call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post

Talking about silly...

I thought we'd get rid of this name calling now with Stinky RP gone...
    Lighten up. He used the wrong name in responding to my post so I just responded in kind. Nothing serious intended.

Ok, since when after CotG do they not wave and say goodbye? Sure, it's standard procedure because they are coming back, so maybe they don't "bow," but it isn't as if they just walk off the stage with no waving and so forth.

I am sorry people some people at the show were so concerned with a "bow" but my guess is that for security reasons they were advised to bring the house lights up and call it a night.
    Well, in my train of thoughts (and seemingly several others) we all know about this "fake end" routine in every show out there. And those of us who follow Sabbath would've expected Paranoid, so a bow could atleast cleared the situation, as in "the show's actually over".

Lighten up. He used the wrong name in responding to my post so I just responded in kind. Nothing serious intended.
    Got a slap on my wrist there... P&L