35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holy diver

14 40.00%
  • Bark at the moon

10 28.57%
  • Born again

11 31.43%

Default Bark vs diver vs born again

It's the battle of 1983!!, right here,right now.
    Which one of these sab related albums are your fav?,
    This is a hard one cause I'm an ozz fan but bark at the moon isn't ranked that highly in his disk og for me,
    Holy diver I fucking love
    And born again is a grower albeit a slow one..
    Can't vote just yet on this.... Need more listening time first..
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    It's the battle of 1983!!, right here,right now. Which one of these sab related albums are your fav?, This is a hard one cause I'm an ozz fan but bark at the moon isn't ranked that highly in his disk og for me, Holy diver I fucking love And born again is a grower albeit a slow one.. Can't vote just yet on this.... Need more listening time first..
    I got an arse error when i tried to vote

Quote Originally Posted by OIM View Post
    I got an arse error when i tried to vote
    Lmoa!, only you oim ,
    But seriously bark ranks below, blizzard, doam,ultimate sin, no rest, no more tears, ozzmosis, even possibly down to earth too for me.
    Last edited by Spiralarchitectx1; 06-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Born again by a landslide!!! .... i personally only know of 5 albums I like better then this mammoth of a release!! Sabotage , Dehumanizer , Iommi , Headless Cross and MOR!!! .... and one just behind it , Fused!!

@OIM , tried leaving you a PM just now about a release I'm hoping to nail down for you , but the pm never went through ....

God bless

Voted holy diver, good response from a guy that kept getting booted out of bands and a fine response to his critics!
    Bark at the moon has too many weak tracks on it, but has a few superb tracks on it too,
    Ba I guess you just had to be there to appreciate it's awesomeness more.

Born Again by far.

'Bark' and 'Diver' are very good albums, but Born Again is great; I like every track on that album.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Voted Born Again, that album is one of my all-time favorite albums, every single song on that album is great!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

They are all monumental recordings, but if I had to pick only one of them to ever hear again it would have to be Holy Diver.
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Born Again is one of the best things that ever happened. Holy Diver is insanely good as well.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Banned

Holy Diver for me. Ronnie's solo masterwork.

Born Again then Holy Diver... such excellent albums back to front.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I voted Bark At The Moon. The title track could be the best metal song ever and You're No Different and Waiting for Darkness are two of Ozzy's most underrated classics. A great response and comeback after losing Randy.

Huge fans of Holy Diver and Born Again as well, what a great year for metal.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Born Again by far .
    followed by Bark at the Moon . 100 % agree with Drago about the songs + "Rock 'n Roll Rebel" with his killer intro riff and "Now you see it (now you don't)" , love the solo .

Voted BATM, next to Diary Of A Madman it's my favourite Ozzy album.
    Born Again has it's issues, but it's probably my favourite post Ozzy Sabbath album ( I wouldn't say it's "the best" though)
    Holy Diver is a kick ass, fuck off album but it comes last here for me.

Holy Diver, but it's not a super great album.

Born Again has one of my all time favourite tracks in Zero The Hero, and it has a couple of other great tracks but overall it is quite weak. Bark at the Moon was just a massive dissapointment after the first two Ozzy solo releases.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Had to go with Born Again.

I remember being a bit disappointed when it came out. It really was change in direction and I felt like Sabbath were sort of following trends and not setting them.

But over time, I've come to realize it's a great album. I've always rated the title track as one of the most brilliant things they ever did. 3.5/5

Holy Diver hasn't aged that well, IMO. Thin production, Vivian Campbell's less than convincing sound ... I don't know. Ronnie just sings his ass off on it and is simply incredible, but quite a lot of it sounds like poor man's H&H to me. It was his right to continue in that direction, but frankly, you need Tony Iommi to accomplish that. I give it maybe 3 stars out of 5.

Bark At The Moon I'd really need to revisit to describe my sentiments about it, but I have little doubt that it would still come in third. I liked the title track a lot, but Ozzy was really losing me as a fan around this time. It went beyond the music. I thought he was becoming a clown.

Soria Moria, Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I remember being a bit disappointed when it came out. It really was change in direction and I felt like Sabbath were sort of following trends and not setting them.
    How do you gather that? With H&H and MR they were jumping on the 1980 bandwagon of the turning point where Hard Rock/proto-Metal truly became Heavy Metal, following the lead of Judas Priest, Motörhead, Rainbow and NWOBHM. With Born Again they merely went back to (or atleast closer to) their own 70's sound, the trend they themselves set. Atleast that's my opinion...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friğar ok forn siğr

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    How do you gather that? With H&H and MR they were jumping on the 1980 bandwagon of the turning point where Hard Rock/proto-Metal truly became Heavy Metal, following the lead of Judas Priest, Motörhead, Rainbow and NWOBHM. With Born Again they merely went back to (or atleast closer to) their own 70's sound, the trend they themselves set. Atleast that's my opinion...
    Don't agree with your assessment at all. Certainly not of H&H. MR maybe stayed on a bandwagon they helped create, but I never really heard much similarity between where Dio and Iommi took Sabbath and Judas Priest, Motorhead, etc. The Rainbow similarities were mostly about Dio's voice. People who hear H&H as somehow tied to the NWOBHM are really reaching, IMO. H&H was a rebirth for Sabbath and it stood out a mile. The title track alone was unlike anything else going on in 1979/1980.

IMO, it is also illogical to discuss Sabbath as "proto-metal" around the time of H&H. They had already defined the genre for a decade by then. This is just revisionist history and usually stuff said by young people who don't realize that even though there wasn't a "Heavy Metal" section in record stores prior to the whole NWOBHM thing, Sabbath were discussed as "Heavy Metal" all the time in the seventies. Certainly by the mid 70s the "tag" was theirs even if they spoke of not necessarily liking it.

Didn't say H&H was tied to NWOBHM, didn't say Dio-Sab were similar to JP or Motörhead, certainly didn't say H&H were proto-metal, i actually said that was when Heavy Metal came into true fruition, despite the term had been used since the mid 70's. Proto-metal is ofcourse of the late 60's/early 70's.

What i was wondering was; how can you say Born Again was a change of direction and following trends when H&H was exactly that, and Born Again was getting back to where they belonged/started out/created?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Didn't say H&H was tied to NWOBHM, didn't say Dio-Sab were similar to JP or Motörhead, certainly didn't say H&H were proto-metal, i actually said that was when Heavy Metal came into true fruition, despite the term had been used since the mid 70's. Proto-metal is ofcourse of the late 60's/early 70's.

What i was wondering was; how can you say Born Again was a change of direction and following trends when H&H was exactly that, and Born Again was getting back to where they belonged/started out/created?
    Not exactly sure what you want me to say?

I bought Born Again the day it came out, at age 15. My impression from the cover to the songs was that Sabbath were getting a bit caught up in the clichéd, "evil" heavy metal scene of the time. I supported it and liked it but it was truly a misstep. "Trashed" was a poor man's "Neon Knights" meets "Highway Star" executed by master musicians. Not much more. I do appreciate the heaviness of it and in retrospect I can appreciate that they stayed committed to heavy music when many of their peers were selling out to MTV garbage. But overall this music was not on par with the sound they had built with Dio. And even visually the two videos were embarrassing and a downward turn from the visual brand the band had built with videos for "Neon Knights" and "Die Young." Hard to believe how "wrong" things went and it cost them, IMO. The tour was huge, but the album didn't sell like it should have in the US.

I like the album, a lot. But I really think both Dio and the Sabs made a major mistake in not having kept what they had going. Dio had some major success with his first two albums but without an Iommi or Blackmore with which to co-write his career eventually ended up taking a dive in the US. I think a Sabbath w/ Dio lineup would have continued to put out remarkable music far beyond what either party came up without each other.

Again, I rate the title track as one of their greatest accomplishments. And I like the whole album. But it's no H&H. Not even close.

I forgot some of you guys consider Dio-Sab as having the Sab-sound, so i was just baffled over the "change in direction"-comment, since H&H was the change in direction and Born Again was getting back to form. Nothing worse than that...

Remember, i'm just a kid experiencing all of this in hindsight

Holy Diver by a wide margin. It's a bona fide masterpiece. It's not a coincidence it regularly ranks in the top 10 on greatest metal/hard rock album listings.

Born Again is an album I enjoy too, but I have to be in a certain mood to put it on. It's a unique and eccentric album and sort of the oddball in Sabbath's catalogue, and if you compare it to their classic albums (first 6, H&H and Mob Rules) it's just not nearly as accessible or an easy listen.

Bark is clear-cut below both in terms of song writing. The title track is flat out amazing, the rest is basically forgettable filler. Jake E. Lee had/has mad chops though.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I forgot some of you guys consider Dio-Sab as having the Sab-sound, so i was just baffled over the "change in direction"-comment, since H&H was the change in direction and Born Again was getting back to form. Nothing worse than that...
    Your perception.

No comment from me that Dio-Sab wasn't a "new" Sab. It was.

However, the idea that Born Again was a return to form is a bit overstated, IMO. Yes, it was heavy and raw, but it also was a step backward overall because the arrangements were stripped back a bit too far, IMO. Dio fronted Sabbath had already repeated their formula of H&H on MR. Had Dio stayed, it would have been incumbent upon that formation to truly look ahead and come up with something a bit different, but they had the basic formula for an 80s Sabbath sound. And it was one hell of a formula. Born Again started treading way too close to a formula which was even less "Sabbath" than the Dio-era and a bit too close to pretty standard heavy rock. "Digital Bitch," "Hotline," come on ... those titles and songs were arguably not worthy of the musical brand that Sabbath had built.

Again, I give it 3.5 stars/5, so it's not as if I don't like the album.

Born Again started treading way too close to a formula which was even less "Sabbath" than the Dio-era.
    Your opinion, my opinion...

We've both made our points now, so it seems like yet another of our discussions will have to end with lets agree to disagree...

I do agree some of the up-tempo tunes on Born Again is more of the Dio-Sab 80's formula than the 70's Sab-Sab sound, though ;-)

I think a Sabbath w/ Dio lineup would have continued to put out remarkable music far beyond what either party came up without each other.
    So do I Jeff, I completely agree with the above statement.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Born Again gets my vote.
    Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

Banned

Holy Diver by far there's absolutely no doubt about it.

Born Again comes in second, but about a mile behind Holy Diver though...

Bark At The Moon shouldn't even be mentioned in the same group as these two master pieces...That album is a real stinker. Which was a such a huge disappointment after the masterful Diary...but ofcourse the main drive (Randy) of the band was gone so naturally the result wouldn't match up...This album started the overly 80s sounding period in Ozzy's career. Part from the title track and Rock 'n Roll Rebel there really isn't anything worth listening on this one...

Haha, that's a really scathing appraisal of BATM

Besides the two you mentioned, You're No different, Now You See It (Now You Don't) and Waiting For Darkness are fucking brilliant man!

I dunno, I like all the songs and B-sides for BATM

My initial vote went to Holy Diver. But I just got done listening to them all again. Huh. Holy Diver sounds basically like 2nd rate Dio-Sabbath. Two really great songs in Holy Diver and Rainbow in the Dark, but all the rest is rather dull to me. BATM, well, it sounds like I remember, sort of a cross between Rick Springfield, Phil Collins, and Ozzy. For an album called Bark at the Moon, it has hardly any teeth. Or maybe, its bark is much better than its bite, hyuck. Production is better than Holy Diver, Ozzy sounds tired on this one, uninspired, probably numb and coked out in dealing with (or maybe avoiding dealing with) Randy's death. BATM is a great song, maybe he best song of all three albums.

Out of the three albums, Born Again sounds the most "real" to me, heavy, original, novel! All three albums are sort of cartoonish in their "evil" album covers, Holy Diver has the best cover of the three, Born Again is cartoonish in the lyrical content. But funny at least, Ian Gillan writes some silly, but kind of clever lyrics. Born Again gets the nod from me this time around, in spite of the production and the largely waste of a side two (not a big fan of the song "Born Again", sort of a poor man's "Child in Time")

Holy Diver!
    "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Three quality releases. Holy Diver may be Dio's best solo album. Born Again is very good, however Ian is over the top with on the title track. Bark at the Moon is my choice. The title is one of Ozzy's best songs. RNR Rebel, Centre of Eternity, Waiting for Darkness, and Now You See It are all very good. It falls short of Diary and Blizzard and there is some filler, but Bark is near great album.

holy diver, although i really wish there were one or two more early 80's dio/sabbath albums. fun poll.

Holy Diver, no contest. Out of these, it's the only one that deserves to be named a classic album.

The Born Again album is great from start to finish, love every single song on this album, every single song.

I voted Bark At The Moon, HOWEVER, Holy Diver would be a close second. Then Born Again.

It's ALWAYS important to say that if I hadn't heard and seen Ozzy and Dio as solo artists first, I never would have heard of Black Sabbath. I have to give credit where it's due.

1.Bark at the moon
    2.Born again
    3.Holy diver

It was kind of a tough call for me between Born Again and Holy Diver but my vote went to the former. The title track of BATM is great but most of the rest of the album isn't so great to me.

Ted

1.) Born Again, Phenomenal album, wish this lineup would've continued or gotten back together.
    2.) Bark At The Moon, I have voted in this poll already, it's always hard to go against BATM, as it's the album that got me into Ozzy as a kid.
    3.) Holy Diver, voted third not because it's less greater than the above two, but because I don't want to tie it.