Banned

Default 5th year Memorial.

Tomorrow it'll be 5 years since we lost the greatest singer in the history of music mr. RONNIE JAMES DIO.

I find it hard to believe it's actually been that long as I remember the day (Sunday it was) like yesterday. I was watching television and on a commercial break came to check my e-mails from the computer and there was a message from Joe saying Ronnie has died. It hit me like a thousand punches to the gut, practically dropping me to the floor. Never has a loss of a non family member affected me so strongly.

Ronnie's incredible lyrics and music have gotten me through some truly hard times (and will continue to do so) and I can honestly say without him I probably wouldn't be here writing this now so I owe him more than words can describe.

This week I haven't been listening to anything but Ronnie's music...

Tomorrow will be a difficult day, but trying to instead of being sad, celebrate his life and the legacy of mind blowing music he has left behind for generations to come.

Rest In Peace Ronnie, gone but never ever forgotten.

The world is a much lonelier and darker place without you in it.

Ronnie James Dio was one of the greatest voices in rock, his entire career was remarkable and phenomenal.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I still remember the day RJD passed away vividly. I had just came back from the movies, was eating and watching Lethal Weapon IV from the TV when I checked this forum on my laptop and saw the thread about his passing. I had read all the hoaxs before that, so at first I thought it was old news but a quick browse through some Finnish news sites confirmed the news.

It actually surprised how sad I felt about it all for days. After hearing the news and listening to some of his finest works I actually broke down and cried a bit. I am a pretty emotional guy I think, but I would've never thought a man I've never met in person would leave such an ever-lasting mark on me via his music that his death felt like such a personal loss, in some ways it felt like losing an old friend.

Rest in peace Ronnie James Dio, he was one of my biggest music influences and to me the greatest voice that ever graced the Earth.

Gone but never forgotten

P.S: Great to see you back Charger! I hope this means your return to the fold as an active member
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post

P.S: Great to see you back Charger! I hope this means your return to the fold as an active member
    Thanks my friend. Well lets see...hopefully.

Also thanks for telling your story about that day...it would be cool to share some memories here and talk about the overall influence the great man had on us all.

God bless Ronnie James Dio In ode and thanks to the Man On The Silver Mountain, I cannot forget the sheer vitality of his live performance when I was privileged to see him in the later stage of his immense career in 2007. Listening to Bible Black now Departed for 5 years this day, but still digging the many gifts of his musical grace. Thankyou and rest in peace Ronnie James Dio!

I don't really have a story, but like probably hundreds of thousands of metal/rock fans of my age, who were lucky to grow up as RJD's career progressed, Ronnie's music has been a soundtrack to my life from my teenage years to my now middle-aged years. Apart from his incredible voice and the amazing music he made with Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio and more, his words of fantasy gave me an escape when life sucked, and his words of solidarity with people like me gave me a reminder that I wasn't alone, things would get better and I didn't have to be beaten if I didn't want to.

Like other commenters have said above, I was (and still am) surprised how much RJD's death affected me. But death is a part of life and life never stops moving on. Writing this, I'm feeling pretty sad about it, but today, particularly, I will be blasting Ronnie's music from "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" through to "The Devil You Know". It will make me happy to celebrate what he gave us and, as cliched as it is, his music will always be with us when we need it. Thank you RJD.

"This is your here, this is your now, let it be magical"...
    Follow mens' eyes, As they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining, Weave the fabric of their dreams...

Made a special playlist containing what I think to be the best of Dio's career to commemorate his legacy: 95 songs ended up on the playlist, and the 00's Dio albums aren't even in Spotify
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Was it really 5 years ago when Dio passed away? It's amazing how time flies...it feels like yesterday.

Dio became one of the most important artists for me beginning from as late as sometime in 1998 (the gates were opened by my grade school buddy who is a heavy metal expert in his own right) and the enthusiasm really started rolling with power during my year in the army in 1999. The musical worlds of Dio, Black Sabbath and Rainbow came into the picture in a swift sequence. Nothing was the same anymore since Dio is one of the "game changers" in my musical life, his music changed and expanded my understanding, appreciation, knowledge and overall taste for music in such a remarkable way. So few artists have become so personally important to me as Dio. If I think of rock & metal singers along the levels of a pyramid from the bottom to the top, Dio is the thunder storm above them all...

I really don't know any other rock & metal artist than Dio whose career consists of this many great world renown bands. Formed from the early band lineups, Elf offers lively and emotional blues rock with no less than 3 full-length albums. Then one of the most important supergroups of the 70's, Rainbow set itself as one of the cornerstones of the entire rock & metal world and elevated Dio himself to the forefront of the genre, again with 3 super-memorable albums. After this, Dio breathed new life into the stagnated career of Black Sabbath with 2 gigantic albums - again adding new milestones on the historical landscape of rock & metal. And then some more: no other rock & metal artist has launched a similarly remarkable and influential solo career like Dio, after having been in the game for 25 years and made his mark with no less than 3 top-of-the-line bands. The collection of 10 studio albums bears testament to Dio's unbeatable prowess.

I was blessed to witness Dio live on stage for no less than 8 times. I'm still bitter that for financial reasons I had to miss his 2001 performance in Oulu as the special guest of Alice Cooper...and that show was part of the "Magica" tour, one of my all-time Dio favourites, his best album in 10 years! Fortunately this loss was remedied at the 2004 Tuska Open Air Metal Festival where I saw Dio for the first time - the most magical and mind-blowing show of them all. Of course, Dio performed with awesome power and grace at the 2005 Sauna Open Air Metal Festival in Tampere and at the Christmas Is Heavy event in Jyväskylä. At the 2006 Miljoonarock Festival Dio performed on the second tier just before Billy Idol and made the final testament to the fact that Dio is an artist who likes to change his setlist from year to year and tour to tour - even this time we got many answers to our song prayers! During the final months of that same year utopia started to become reality when Dio returned to the ranks of Black Sabbath with the Heaven & Hell lineup. This was a dream of many years. Heaven & Hell was such a tremendous thing that I had to go see them in Tampere and Helsinki on consecutive nights in June 2007 - I'm still blown away by that epic road trip, I haven't done the same with any other artist! Dio's performance at the 2008 Water & Rock Festival in Lahti was also something special as he performed only his solo material and Rainbow songs, giving a setlist full of treats - that was the last Dio solo show I got to see. In June 2009 Heaven & Hell performed once more in Helsinki, in support of their new and final studio album together. The show was a real heart-stopping and blood-boiling experience and the evening was crowned by the PSOF fan meeting with Dio (and Appice). Truly a night to remember.

I've experienced only few show cancellations in my time, but the most bitter of them was of course Dio's December 2009 solo show with our homeland metal legends Tarot, in Tampere. Alice Cooper had just performed in Espoo the night before, our plan was to rock out in Tampere as well. Heaven & Hell was then booked to appear at the 2010 Sonisphere Festival in Pori, but 5 years ago today we had the heart-breaking news...

---

Dio offered us beautiful music both on record and on live stages. The blues rock of Elf, the hard rock of Rainbow, the heavy metal of Black Sabbath and Dio. This legacy will live in our hearts and music sessions forever. I believe that Dio is in a much better place now - our struggles here continue still and as a counter force to the harships of our everyday lives we can and we will play Dio's music, today and in the future to come!

For today's "Sermon on the Mount" I chose the 3 most personally important Dio-esque albums: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Heaven And Hell and Holy Diver. 3 different bands and albums, 3 hugely powerful works of art and eternal milestones that will never be outshined by anything.

Long Live Dio, The Man On The Silver Mountain!!!
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 05-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

5 long years. I've typed out a lot of Ronnie memories since then. I remember the final days with dread and outrage. There was a rumor that Ronnie had died which unfortunately circulated just a couple of days before he passed. Wendy had to put out a statement that he was still alive and still fighting and then like the next day he died for real. I sometimes wonder if Ronnie knew about the rumor and it was like a final straw for him, just a terrible way to go out.

I remember coming up with the idea to put out part of his last show on video to the fans. After I spent a day with Heaven and Hell and filmed their opening number, "Mob Rules", we were restricted from letting people see it. If memory serves, it was because of a slight fan altercation toward the end of the number, when someone balled up a t-shirt and launched it at Ronnie's head from close range. Joe knows the reason better then I do, but I believe it had something to do with that. After Ronnie died, I thought it would be a nice tribute to edit the footage and release it out since it was his last time on stage ever. I was surprised when Wendy's camp gave us the green light, and I remember my eyes welling up while I was putting it together. That evening was surreal beyond words to begin with, given that I was there as a reporter first and fan second. Lzzy Hale was there opening up with Halestorm, and last year she mentioned that final night was an inspiration for contributing to the recent Tribute CD to Dio. I was allowed to tour the stage before the show and went right up to Ronnie's microphone and filmed a segment around it. During the show, after we taped the opening number, I packed up my stuff backstage and took my all-access pass right to the photographer section in that little gap between the stage and the crowd. I shared the space with three photographers for a couple of songs, then they left and then it was just me and my cameraman separating the crowd from the band. Afterwards I was told Ronnie was too tired after the show to do an interview with me, but then he came up to me and said "Hi, so where do you want to do this?". And then he frickin HUGGED me. I mean, my high school yearbook has my favorite quote under my picture and it was "We're off to the witch". 20-some odd years later and I'm interviewing him and getting hugged at his last concert.

I recently went through some of my b-roll footage from that night, I was hoping to find something cool that I missed that Joe could share with Wendy for the upcoming Dio release she is working on, but everything I taped is pretty much already out there. I filmed part of the after-show "meet and greet" with fans coming up to the guys in a line, shaking hands and signing crap, but it was from far away and its impossible to make out any of the words. Not to mention the entire backstage area was darker then candle-light, and they told me not to use any of my own lighting, so thats why the interview itself is so dark. Think I'll play some Elf today.

Continue to rest in peace, Ronnie, we miss you!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post

Long Live Dio, The Man On The Silver Mountain!!!
    Long Live Rock-N-Roll and he's also the King of Rock-N-Roll!!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Banned

Well said there both Sabbathman and Damian...thanks for sharing.

Ronnie's voice and Tony's riffing, Vinny's pounding drumming and Geezer's thundering bass work were my introduction to all things heavy as most of you might remember as Dehumanizer was my very first heavy album...fell in love with it instantly and my love for it surely has not diminished over the years.

I can safely say that without Ronnie and Black Sabbath my love for heavy (or should I say proper) music would not be as strong as it is.

Long Live Rock 'n Roll...long live Black Sabbath and Ronnie James Dio!!!!

I'd just like to say thank you to all the members of BSO who continue to share such great memories of the one and only Mr. Ronnie James Dio. The hard rock world hasn't been the same since his passing ( ... ). R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    I'd just like to say thank you to all the members of BSO who continue to share such great memories of the one and only Mr. Ronnie James Dio. The hard rock world hasn't been the same since his passing ( ... ). R.I.P.
    Ronnie was a true class act.

Just started my Dio remembrance day music listening. First up is Neon Nights Live At Waken 2009. Awesome - just incredible.

I have been a Dio fan since 1989 when I picked up cassette copies of Holy Diver and Last In Line. Loved Holy Diver so much and it is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Love the power and the strength of Dio's voice.

May you never be forgotten!!!!
    R.I.P.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Hard to believe it's been 5 years since Dio's passing. Like I have said elsewhere I was lucky enough to see him live many times over the years and met him a few times - he was the nicest person you could ever meet. I always think of Rainbow when I think of Dio because the Long Live Rock and Roll tour was the first time I got to see Dio live and I was completely blown away by his voice

Long Live Rock And Roll

At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Came across this tribute from Lizzy Hale

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...irection=false
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post

Thats great stuff. I interviewed her and filmed Halestorm's set that night, she was so excited to be opening up for Ronnie. A night that nobody would have thought was the last stop on tours forever for RJD, I'm very much looking forward to Wendy's upcoming release!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Now here's a MOTHERLOAD of remembrance contributions from different artists - interviews conducted and compiled by our Finnish metal guru Luxi Lahtinen...

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/inte....php?intid=447

@Charger , good to see you back ... i did email your email address when you left , who knows if you got it ,,, but good to have you back brother.

She nailed it - Ronnie the gentleman was an awesome human being to meet.... I am not someone who cares on any level about meeting any of these people , and I've met many , over and over again .... same goes for Ronnie , and I can say with the upmost certainty Ronnie is the undisputed King of kindness when it comes to fans ,,, second place does not even exist on his list of sincere true love for his fans and his music .... not even close.

.... I've met the man back in the day when I was friends with Eddie Trunk , when Eddie was a record store clerk at morris county mall record shop .... Met Dio again when he was taking my man Keith's advice of what tracks to play in NY .... Again when he was playing a small club in PA like it was Giant stadium , spent hours with him and Wendy ... and more ,,,, but the one that stands out for me , was midnight at WDHA radio NJ ,,,, he was on the metal show , myself , Gin one of the owners of the NFL network , Snives the ACDC roadie and Ed from Bad Influence - were all in the parking lot during the Strange Highway years , and I called in and said Ronnie you better learn your cross road overload from "Jesus Mary & Holy Ghost" ,,, for when the time comes it will very much matter .... Rick was going to disconnect the call live on air ... and Ronnie said "Great song - right?" ,, and everyone started laughing.

.... Ronnie learned I was in the lot , and he had told us to wait til after the show. He comes outside with Tracy , Jeff and Vinnie ... and it was like we were his best friends ... just what a f***ING guy he was ,,,, we talked Jesus , Iommi and Dehumanizer for what I believe was an hour ... til I had to leave , The Man was Awesome.

.... i walk into a pizza joint in Boonton nj , picking up food To go for my Uncle ,,, happen to look up at a tv hanging there for a moment .... CNN was on , and I catch what I thought scrolled across the screen "Rock Singer Ronnie James Dio died today in .... from ...." ,,,, No - that can't be true - he just accepted that award not to long ago , He looked good ,,, my eye's are playing tricks on me ....

.... it scrolls again , and I bow my head , sad - very fn sad ,,, I pray for you , a brother amongst those who could never wear it a percent as well .... love ya Ronnie , you were the definition of Real.

I respect Ronnie immensely and i am lucky enough to have seen him perform live twice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    @Charger , good to see you back ... i did email your email address when you left , who knows if you got it ,,, but good to have you back brother.
    Thanks...I don't think I got any email from you. Might have been caught by the spam filter though...

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
    I respect Ronnie immensely and i am lucky enough to have seen him perform live twice.
    Very nice!! .... What were the two shows , were either as part of Sabbath I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Thanks...I don't think I got any email from you. Might have been caught by the spam filter though...
    No problem brother! .... Ha , no doubt you probably agreed with your filter on that one

Keep rocking Ronnie guys!

5 years... it seems like only yesterday and at the same time it's like a lifetime ago....

I never met him, but saw him numerous times in concert and of course grew up with his music, discovering him courtesy of my brothers' Rainbow albums...

I have such fond memories of first seeing him in concert on the Holy Diver tour (October 1983) and just being completely blown away by his sheer power as a live singer. I can recall wearing the shirt I bought at the show to school the next day and telling everyone how unbelievable the concert was. Since then I've collected every official release he's sung on (and quite a few unofficial releases)...
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Very nice!! .... What were the two shows , were either as part of Sabbath I hope.

No problem brother! .... Ha , no doubt you probably agreed with your filter on that one

Keep rocking Ronnie guys!
    The first time i saw Ronnie live was during The Dehumanizer tour. I was sitting on Tony's side and had hearing damage for months after that show. Good times!!!! The second time was in 2007. That was one of the performances i had ever heard from the guys.

@Damian - I remember seeing that interview you did with them - I thought the interview you did was great & it actually made me check out Halestorm.

@Sabbathman - thanks for the great link to those tributes I thought it was great reading what Denise & Enid from Girlschool said about him

@Doc - thanks for sharing your cool stories - yes DIO was the man when it came to treating his fans - I wish more people were like him & would just treat eachother with respect - that would make the world a much better place. - also wanted to let you know that my wife is doing great after her surgery & is now Cancer Free - thanks for the kind words of support

@Charger - meant to say it before but welcome back - missed seeing your posts on the boards

Lastly I saw this on Blabbermouth - some reviews of the memorial show - http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...blic-memorial/

Banned

@Charger - meant to say it before but welcome back - missed seeing your posts on the boards
    Thank you brother.

@Damian - I remember seeing that interview you did with them - I thought the interview you did was great & it actually made me check out Halestorm.

/[/url]

Thanks for the kind words kam, and thanks for the tribute link!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Now this was SUPER COOL!!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vid...adron-flyover/

Look at this line that says it all:

Dio, a member of DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH and RAINBOW
    No other rock singer-songwriter has a band history like this. Let's add ELF and the list is even more impressive - it's beyond amazing!

All 3 of these Dio-esque albums (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Heaven And Hell, Holy Diver) truly have all the signs of a classic rock album:

1. Finely crafted cover artwork that summons to behold it's compelling and inspiring imagery - again and again
    2. Stellar musicians who have an inimitable signature style
    3. Beautifully balanced soundscape that brings up every little detail - power and delicacy in a simultaneous harmony
    4. Superb and timeless songs that speak to the listener in many intense ways - one can always find something new
    5. All of the album's songs offer memorable and touching moments - a thoroughly enchanting experience
    6. The album remains fresh and exciting through the years - no matter how many times one listens to it
    7. The album has the "game changer" status - it started a new chapter in music and in the listener's musical life

Banned

You are absolutely right Sabbathman!

And there really isn't another person in the heavy metal world that has a resume like that!

If that isn't a sign of a true legend I don't know what is!

A friend I work with his Dad and Dio grew up together best friends stayed in touch all thru Ronnie's life, he sent me picks a few years ago, 7 now I guess... from 2008 when RJD visited Cortland NY his home town, just 40 mi. from my home. I'd like to upload the pics, my friend and his brothers and dad visted Ronnie and Wendy many times out at their home in California... Ronnie's dad was in a nursing home at the time in 2008, theirs pics of them eating dinner at his favorite Italian Restaurant and Jimmy Bain, Rod Feinstein, his cousin and former Elf and Current The Rods lead guitarist... Kelly Gruber..? (the one who just died) ... my friends a guitarist and his brother, they have a band, his father plays too and recorded a tribute song to Ronnie when he passed away... Elf, or pre-Elf, Ronnie Dio and the Electric Elves and then Elf played regularly in my hometown and the surrounding area... I was too young to see them but knew of them, my friend visited back stage when RJD and Heaven & Hell played Binghamton NY, there's pics of Ronnie visiting the barber shop they hung out at in his youth, playing cards and drinking... visiting with with the locals... Ronnie always remained friends and in touch with the people he grew up with, he was a regular guy..

So how do I upload pictures?
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 05-21-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    A friend I work with his Dad and Dio grew up together best friends stayed in touch all thru Ronnie's life, he sent me picks a few years ago, 7 now I guess... from 2008 when RJD visited Cortland NY his home town, just 40 mi. from my home. I'd like to upload the pics, my friend and his brothers and dad visted Ronnie and Wendy many times out at their home in California... Ronnie's dad was in a nursing home at the time in 2008, theirs pics of them eating dinner at his favorite Italian Restaurant and Jimmy Bain, Rod Feinstein, his cousin and former Elf and Current The Rods lead guitarist... Kelly Gruber..? (the one who just died) ... my friends a guitarist and his brother, they have a band, his father plays too and recorded a tribute song to Ronnie when he passed away... Elf, or pre-Elf, Ronnie Dio and the Electric Elves and then Elf played regularly in my hometown and the surrounding area... I was too young to see them but knew of them, my friend visited back stage when RJD and Heaven & Hell played Binghamton NY, there's pics of Ronnie visiting the barber shop they hung out at in his youth, playing cards and drinking... visiting with with the locals... Ronnie always remained friends and in touch with the people he grew up with, he was a regular guy..

I'd love to see those pictures Wicked, I don't know how to upload them to the computer though, maybe one of our more computer savvier members could help you out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post

Such an awesome story...and that really does capture Ronnie's essence perfectly. He wasn't a rock star in attitude, but a regular down to earth kind of fellow. Which is why he was so loved by his fans and piers in the music world as well!

You can't upload pictures on this site...you need to link them. So you'll need a photo upload site (photobucket or something like that) where you'll upload the pictures then link them here.

Such an awesome story...and that really does capture Ronnie's essence perfectly. He wasn't a rock star in attitude, but a regular down to earth kind of fellow. Which is why he was so loved by his fans and piers in the music world as well!

You can't upload pictures on this site...you need to link them. So you'll need a photo upload site (photobucket or something like that) where you'll upload the pictures then link them here.
    Wicked - yes please upload the pictures like Charger said you can sign up for photo sharing site like photobucket and flickr for free and just copy the link here to share the pictures.

also saw these 2 links on blabbermouth - more coverage of the memorial service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT8D...layer_embedded

Dio Disciples live at the memorial - http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vid...l-celebration/

K thx Charger... I'll see what I can do...