Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    So Richie Blackmores Rainbow have decided to release a 2 CD set of their Birmingham 2016 show, due for release 7th June.

It looks like an interesting set list, I don't know if it will be any good or not!

Planet Rock Article

Based on the lackluster preformances on youtube I most certainly won't be buying that!

Banned

I doubt I'll be picking this up as well...

Terribly mundane performance... Watching this only makes me appreciate Steve Morse and current day DP so much more... Not even sure I'd fork out the dollars to catch Ritchie & his band of 2nd rate musicians(albeit the singer has a good set of pipes on him) if they toured out my way. I'd rather just cling to the memory of seeing Ritchie my one & only time with DP MK2 in 1984.

I bought the Bluray/DVD/2CD package, because the latest live release from rocking RB is from 1995 and I wanted to have this as a closure and final legacy.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Blackmore really muddied the water with so many "Rainbows". The original band was sooo well original sounding and then he slowly or not so slowly morphed Rainbow into a 2nd string Foreigner. Commercially it made $ense but from an artistic standpoint it was pretty mundane even for Blackmore. I don't like the singer he brought on for this reunion 10 yrs too late and the rest of the band doesn't add up.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

They do sound very lame but I'm still looking forward to the gig. I've got a feeling I'm going to be disappointed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    I doubt I'll be picking this up as well...

Terribly mundane performance... Watching this only makes me appreciate Steve Morse and current day DP so much more... Not even sure I'd fork out the dollars to catch Ritchie & his band of 2nd rate musicians(albeit the singer has a good set of pipes on him) if they toured out my way. I'd rather just cling to the memory of seeing Ritchie my one & only time with DP MK2 in 1984.
    I agree... I got to 2:55 and was kinda shocked only that much time had passed. It's a very muted performance and I wondered, "Well, is this Blackmore trying to take this song in a different direction?" but the singer screaming his head off at parts said, "No, they're *trying* to rock this one out... and just not getting there..."

Compare what Blackmore put together with what ol' Davy C. hath wrought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJGsFoS0zWw

*THESE* guys are playing like they want to be there!

Glenn Hughes also puts in his best effort in a tribute to Jon Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_drspegRrA

Even though the guitar is all but missing in that video, I'm amazed at how Glenn's still hitting those high notes. Just amazing. But, yeah, that performance and Coverdale's are those of bands that are really together and doing their all.

I checked out a video of the new Rainbow, er, Blackmore's Rainbow, let's remember the branding... at Monsters of Rock Loreley... same basic problem as in the other videos: the band just doesn't do it together. They sound competent, not great. I hate to say it, but the performances really reminded me of Rod Evans' 1980 ripoff of Deep Purple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuLwQMB7h4

Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    I hate to say it, but the performances really reminded me of Rod Evans' 1980 ripoff of Deep Purple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuLwQMB7h4
    Awful!

There is no Rainbow without Ronnie, Ritchie might as well have done the Rainbow stint with Candice.
    "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
    ~ Ronnie James Dio

Gonna quote myself from the other Rainbow thread on the Side/Solo & Related section:

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    The band sounds really lifeless on those takes, even the usually awe-inspiring Johansson is lacking something. Romero is great, but the rest of the band sounds like a jazz band trying to play hard rock. Blackmore's tone isn't fit for the material, way too clean and lacks all the punch. Everyone is playing all the correct notes without any mistakes, but the whole thing just lacks the gusto necessary to bring this material to life.

Just compare it all to this. THIS was a band firing on all cylinders. Dare I say it, the best live act among Hard Rock bands of the 70's:

Would be interesting to hear RJD's and Cozy's reaction to this incarnation of Rainbow were they still alive...I was expeting so much more out of this project.
    I can't fathom how that rhythm section manages to sound so small.
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I know... and it's the same on the studio recording, as well... that makes me think it's all intentional to sound like that, not just bad miking on the concerts.

I know... and it's the same on the studio recording, as well... that makes me think it's all intentional to sound like that, not just bad miking on the concerts.
    If this was the first offering by an up-and-coming new band, it would be enough to make me keep them on my radar for future releases, in the hopes that they would improve and expand upon their sound.

But, given the massive amount of technical and creative talent in play here, it comes off as uninspired, soulless, tired dreck.
    gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vynlsol View Post
    But, given the massive amount of technical and creative talent in play here, it comes off as uninspired, soulless, tired dreck.
    This right here hit's the nail on the head.

I've checked out several videos and they all seem to suffer from the same thing...there is absolutely no soul, no feel, no emotion in the playing and that's really saying something as Ritchie has always been full of emotion (both positive and negative) on stage...it's pretty clear he doesn't really enjoy this nearly as much as he probably thought he would...or maybe this was just something he didn't really want to do in the first place but just thought "What the hell...let's do a couple of Rainbow shows as the fans seem to want them..." I don't know...

There is no denying Ritchie's still got all the talent but something certainly is missing and that something is a vital part of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    This right here hit's the nail on the head.

I've checked out several videos and they all seem to suffer from the same thing...there is absolutely no soul, no feel, no emotion in the playing and that's really saying something as Ritchie has always been full of emotion (both positive and negative) on stage...it's pretty clear he doesn't really enjoy this nearly as much as he probably thought he would...or maybe this was just something he didn't really want to do in the first place but just thought "What the hell...let's do a couple of Rainbow shows as the fans seem to want them..." I don't know...

There is no denying Ritchie's still got all the talent but something certainly is missing and that something is a vital part of the songs.
    Knowing Ritchie it's a definte $ grab doing the shows. Security for his young children. The bands is laughable in this setting, it's a Fairy Festival Band doing Rainbow and Deep Purple, the singer is awful. Maybe it's the material, but he doesn't do any of it any justice. Had this been Ritchie with a few of his ex singers and band mates from the 2 bands, it might be worth it, but maybe because he's been playing pretty mellow music for the last 15-20 yrs, the fire is gone, it's very sad actually almost as sad as the people who wasted their money to see it.

Ritchie knows better than to bring this act to the States... he'd be lucky to get a few club gigs... only in Europe lol?!
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-10-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I cant hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Knowing Ritchie it's a definte $ grab doing the shows. Security for his young children. The bands is laughable in this setting, it's a Fairy Festival Band doing Rainbow and Deep Purple, the singer is awful. Maybe it's the material, but he doesn't do any of it any justice. Had this been Ritchie with a few of his ex singers and band mates from the 2 bands, it might be worth it, but maybe because he's been playing pretty mellow music for the last 15-20 yrs, the fire is gone, it's very sad actually almost as sad as the people who wasted their money to see it.

Ritchie knows better than to bring this act to the States... he'd be lucky to get a few club gigs... only in Europe lol?!

Yeah..

But to be fair Blackmore's Night is quite popular here in Europe...as we do listen to other music than rap or pop here too you know!

Romero is a good singer though, he's got a great range, but sadly very little emotion or passion...but that might just be because of this "band" though as I've heard some of the stuff he's done with his own band and he sounds quite different and sings with more passion...

The rest of your comments are hard to disagree...this band is a sad joke.

Soria Moria, stenfor sol og vestenfor mne, Norge

Maybe he should pick up the banjo and start a bluegrass band? Rainbowish purplegrass...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til rs ok friar ok forn sir

What should have been a great moment for the fans turns into a little anecdote summed up in a poor performance with an old Ritchie surrounded by musicians without any cohesion. What did they do during the previous months? Play together really?
    By reading the review of the CD on Blabber, only 6 comments, 5 are negative, only one is more than wacky.
    What a disappointment.

Yeah..

But to be fair Blackmore's Night is quite popular here in Europe...as we do listen to other music than rap or pop here too you know!

Romero is a good singer though, he's got a great range, but sadly very little emotion or passion...but that might just be because of this "band" though as I've heard some of the stuff he's done with his own band and he sounds quite different and sings with more passion...

The rest of your comments are hard to disagree...this band is a sad joke.
    yea Romero when I listened to his own band I though was a good choice, he sounds like someone singing songs he's not familiar with so he has no "feel" for them. Ritchie's solos sound more fitting in his Renaissance band, which I happen to like alot of it, than this. And yes Euro fans have a much broader appreciation for a broader range of music than most American fans do.
    R. Blackmore

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Maybe he should pick up the banjo and start a bluegrass band? Rainbowish purplegrass...
    you be like FUNNY!
    R. Blackmore

Alright, I had to find out... how good is Ronnie Romero with other bands?

This one was pretty decent... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUBjVvLoRoY ... the voice is kinda too rough for the song, but at least they're all making an effort, here.

Then I found him doing "Stormbringer". Rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyy?

I have to say, his voice goes well with the Coverdale-era material. Although the guitar player seems to have recently graduated from the Zakk Wylde School of Woooaaawwwooooow, there's a nice Blackmore-sounding solo in there. There's a lot of potential in these guys. Romero certainly can get up and deliver a good performance, even if he's not in the "holy smokes, that's an amazing voice!" category. I'd play that song again if it came up on a playlist.

Looking on, here's Romero with Lords of Black doing "We Rock" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOSbodx52s
    Even though it's a smart phone video, the evidence that Romero can work a crowd is there.

So what the hell happened, Ritchie??? Yes, I point my finger at the banjo player and shout, "J'accuse!"

I went to the show last night in Birmingham, and it was better than I thought it was going to be. The singer was much better than I thought he was going to be too. What I will say though is that Ritchie just does not have the passion he once had for rock, and it definitely shows in the performance. The fire is just not there anymore, but the guy is early 70s and has been out of rock for years now, so I think we can cut him a bit of slack. A few people were moaning at the end saying it was shit, but these people had seen him in his prime back in the 70s and 80s. I'm glad I went, and he still remains my favourite guitarist of all time. If that was him playing bad last night then how good was he back in his prime? Astonishingly brilliant I'd say.

I had already seen and noticed that before but ...
    Knowing the reaction of Ronnie James Dio by reading his amputated artistic name on the back of the cover of Live Evil, this singer, though a real fan of Ronnie and knowingly filmed for a DVD, makes the same and unforgivable mistake (3'50). All Dio fans know that Ronnie hated it.
    I would never understand that kind of thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Wow, I am shocked that such an amazing song can be performed (spontaneously I wanted to write 'covered') in such an incredibly boring way. I stopped the video after 2 min because I didn't want to fall asleep!!!

Taste is nothing to fight about, but I have to say that I would enjoy a decent and non-mainstream rap performance much more than this bad Rainbow 2016 cover band or Blackmore's Night. I am mainly a fan of rock music, but I rather listen to music from different genres than to soulless (I am borrowing the term from other commentators here because it fits so well) rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynlsol View Post
    If this was the first offering by an up-and-coming new band, it would be enough to make me keep them on my radar for future releases, in the hopes that they would improve and expand upon their sound.

I strongly agree with the second part of your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR66 View Post
    Knowing the reaction of Ronnie James Dio by reading his amputated artistic name on the back of the cover of Live Evil, this singer, though a real fan of Ronnie and knowingly filmed for a DVD, makes the same and unforgivable mistake (3'50). All Dio fans know that Ronnie hated it.

Compare and contrast. The difference is staggering between the two.

Compare and contrast. The difference is staggering between the two.
    I've apparently been misunderstood once more.
    Anyway, If we need a demonstration between the two, I wouldn't take a cover one but here is the classic track interpreted by the best line-up to do it:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TYR66 View Post

Yeah that's almost a bit of a fuck you to Ronnie actually....wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie told Romero to say that just for that reason...

Also my god what an uninspiring preformance...Ritchie looks like he's having a nap on stage and his playing sounds like he is fast asleep.

I guess it is safe to say Ritchie Blackmore is no more...

yea I don't find this reunion thing at all inspiring. Blackmore hasn't played with a pick in almost 20 yrs and it shows and the singer doesn't do it for me. Ritchie's solos are melodic but better suited for Blackmore's night, they lack aggression and edge, and frankly don't fit the songs. Sounds like a Vegas lounge act doing Purple Rainbow.
    R. Blackmore

I don't think there was any malice behind the "Ronnie Dio" shout out there.