Default Slayer - Repentless

I got an early peek at the new Slayer last week. I just posted my review over at About.com Heavy Metal. I am sure we have some Slayer fans on this board.

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/slaye...ess-Review.htm
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Nice review Drago! My only argument would be that you are a little generous with your rating, that is if the few songs I have heard so far is indicative of the album as a whole. Pretty lackluster stuff - though that will not halt me from buying this.
    Last edited by Thelemech; 09-10-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemech View Post
    Nice review Drago! My only argument would be that you are a little generous with your rating, that is if the few songs I have heard so far is indicative of the album as a whole. Pretty lackluster stuff - though that will not halt me from buying this.
    Thanks Thelemech. I appreciate it. It is hard to associate a number with a review, I almost wish we did away with it. 3.5 is a little above average and that is where this album falls for me. An average Slayer record is still better than most for me.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

The album is out? One thing I've noticed about Slayer's more recent stuff is that Tom Araya seems to just scream his head off more, which gets annoying.
    Last edited by Iron Wizard; 09-15-2015 at 10:57 PM.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

I like God Hates Us All, but everything since has been mostly disappointing to me. Psychopathy Red was one that made me hopeful for World Painted Blood, but the album just underwhelmed me as much as Christ Ilusion. Slayer have put out 1 or 2 songs from this new one in the last year or so, and its all been about the same. I just watched the video for Repentless, and thought it was about the best they're gonna sound at this point in their evolution. Gary Holts solos in particular adds a nice familiar old school thrash vibe. But knowing how inconsistent they've been in the last 10 years, Im still just avoiding Slayer altogether. Im still scarred by tracks like Playing With Dolls.

Hey guys, been a while, but I'm back for a little bit. Here's a portion of a review I posted on Amazon...

I honestly wasn't expecting to get blown away by this album, I didn't really know what to expect, but it's Slayer and they're one of my top 10 fav's, so there I was at the record store on release day.
    Well, I was and still am, blown away. This is awesome. Pure testosterone-fueled metal all the way through. I don't know how anyone who has enjoyed any Slayer album in the last 15 years could not like this. Not so much like World Painted Blood, but more like GHUA and Christ Illusion. Which shouldn't be a surprise, WPB was meant to be a "retro" type album, whereas GHUA and CI were where they were headed before, and this seems like a natural progression from there. Piano Wire sounds as if it could've been on Divine Intervention. I guess behind the scenes it's still the Kerry King show, and it has been for a while, Tom and Jeff made the choice not to participate, so as long as Kerry keeps up this kind of work, I'm onboard.
    The songs are short and (not so) sweet in typical Slayer fashion, they've not had too many longer songs in their career, preferring instead to get right to the point.
    It's really hard to pick stand-out tracks, every song has something to offer, some seem to suffer from ending to soon. (Strangely, I just gave Iron Maiden's, "Book of Souls" a critique where I complained they didn't know when to stop) The title track seems even better on CD especially with the instrumental intro Delusions of Saviour. Take Control is equally awesome. Atrocity Vendor is really cool to me and track 11, You Against You is just off the chain, it's a Slayer lead guitar festival from hell.
    As far as the comments about the lyrics being childish; several people have mentioned the line "let's get high". Oddly enough, it seems they suffer from the same hearing/reading/understanding problem that many preachers & critics suffer from. The ENTIRE line goes, "A little violence is the ultimate drug, let's get high". He's not just screaming, "let's get high!", like he want's to go out behind the school gym and burn one.
    The deluxe package is first class, the artwork is some of the best Slayer has ever had, and the addition of the DVD just makes it all that much sweeter.
    And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Drago, nice review.

I agree for the most part, but I personally would give a 4.5/5. The newer screaming style doesn't bother me at all, I feel as if it's almost necessary to fit with the violent themes and general heaviness of their songs. I do think that some of Tom's screams on this new album are better than ever.

Also, you wrote, "Their first four releases are some of the most pivotal and influential albums in all of extreme metal".

Do you not feel that Seasons in the Abyss should be part of that group of "pivotal and influential albums"?
    And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Drago, nice review.

I agree for the most part, but I personally would give a 4.5/5. The newer screaming style doesn't bother me at all, I feel as if it's almost necessary to fit with the violent themes and general heaviness of their songs. I do think that some of Tom's screams on this new album are better than ever.

Also, you wrote, "Their first four releases are some of the most pivotal and influential albums in all of extreme metal".

Do you not feel that Seasons in the Abyss should be part of that group of "pivotal and influential albums"?
    Thanks Danmac. Great review as well. I like how we picked out Relentless, Atrocity Vendor and You Against You as some of the stronger material. Those three tracks stand clearly above the rest.

While I don't think SITA is as strong as their first four I could have added it and probably should of actually. Great spot. There isn't a song through South Of Heaven by Slayer that I don't think is exceptional, where there are a few off Seasons that start to show some cracks. Hell Awaits is probably my favorite Slayer record actually. That is when I discovered them and that record completely changed my life.

WPB is still my favorite release since 2000. Unfortunately I think Relentless is probably their worst but I still dig it being a Slayer fanatic. Christ Illusion and GHUA are my two least liked Slayer releases even though I can make a sick release by combining them.

Thanks for all of the comments.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

Yes, we did both pick out those 3 didn't we? Cool.

Whether or not SITA belongs is totally up to you, I was simply curious because so often albums 3-5 are singled out as the "trinity" or whatever, but you picked 2-4 instead, interesting. I must agree though that Hell Awaits is a very strong contender for best Slayer album and often neglected in that conversation and superseded by Reign in Blood. I personally cannot seem to decide which album is my favorite, SOH was my first and a contender for first, but I simply cannot say.

As far as best since 2000, I think I would have to go with Christ Illusion, I really like that one. So dark, heavy and angry (unlike other Slayer albums!) The riffs and grooves are perfect and the solos are just frantic sounding.

I tend to really enjoy the Kerry King tracks, which I think puts me in the minority, and is probably why I enjoy latter years Slayer a little more than other old-timers like myself. While others have complained about the lack (or decreased amount) of Hanneman writing over the last 15-20 years, I haven't minded so much, I like the heavy/angry/fast albums like CI and GHUA. May be why I like Repentless a little more than the average too. It's funny that so many reviewers complain that they miss the Hanneman presence on Repentless, but the fact is, he's hardly had much of a presence on the last several albums, except WPB--perhaps that was his unwitting swansong.

Which makes me wonder, what's your personal preference, Diabolus in Musica, where Hanneman pretty much did the whole thing alone or Repentless, where KK took the reigns?

Banned

The music and video to Repentless was shitty beyond compare. Looks like it was done by someone who has played far too many unrealistically violent video games.

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Yes, we did both pick out those 3 didn't we? Cool.

Whether or not SITA belongs is totally up to you, I was simply curious because so often albums 3-5 are singled out as the "trinity" or whatever, but you picked 2-4 instead, interesting. I must agree though that Hell Awaits is a very strong contender for best Slayer album and often neglected in that conversation and superseded by Reign in Blood. I personally cannot seem to decide which album is my favorite, SOH was my first and a contender for first, but I simply cannot say.

As far as best since 2000, I think I would have to go with Christ Illusion, I really like that one. So dark, heavy and angry (unlike other Slayer albums!) The riffs and grooves are perfect and the solos are just frantic sounding.

I tend to really enjoy the Kerry King tracks, which I think puts me in the minority, and is probably why I enjoy latter years Slayer a little more than other old-timers like myself. While others have complained about the lack (or decreased amount) of Hanneman writing over the last 15-20 years, I haven't minded so much, I like the heavy/angry/fast albums like CI and GHUA. May be why I like Repentless a little more than the average too. It's funny that so many reviewers complain that they miss the Hanneman presence on Repentless, but the fact is, he's hardly had much of a presence on the last several albums, except WPB--perhaps that was his unwitting swansong.

Which makes me wonder, what's your personal preference, Diabolus in Musica, where Hanneman pretty much did the whole thing alone or Repentless, where KK took the reigns?
    All excellent points Danmac. I am clearly in the Hanneman camp as I think he is the far superior songwriter. I am a fan of King's writing as well but I think he works best when he is only responsible for about 4 - 5 songs and not the whole record. I think his peak is Divine Intervention. Some of his best songwriting is on their with Dittohead and Sex/Murder/Art and Killing Fields as some of his best material. I know that Hanneman dominated the songwriting on WPB and that is probably why it is my favorite later day release. I do think God Send Death (Hanneman again) though might be the best track they have released since 2000 though. Brilliant.

I am a huge fan of SOH as well. Everything through that album is untouchable for me. Even Show No Mercy doesn't get the love that it deserves. To answer your question I much prefer DIM. I think Bitter Peace, Perversions Of Pain, Desire and Point are all excellent. I think maybe the title track off of Repentless is the best song out of both albums but DIM is stronger front to back.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

Banned

I bought the album last week but have only listened to it twice, once in full.
    I watched the making of the album dvd first up and some of the riffs sounded great in isolation so was excited to listen to the album but got half way through it and started to lose interest and skip songs a minute in. Was finding it repetitive & boring and a bit samey and to be honest couldn't get The Book Of Souls back on quick enough

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it at that moment as it did get better on the second listen but so far nothing has really grabbed me. I did like Vices, Cast The First Stone and You Against You and Piano Wire also sounded ok, the opening riff reminded me a little of Metallica's Disposable Heroes. Also, the production values are an improvement over WPB, but not really liking the drum sound.

I'm gonna put it aside for the moment at least until I get over TBOS kick I'm on and then give it some more spins and hopefully it improves and grows a little more on me. I can already confidently say it won't come close to matching the greatness of Christ Illusion, Slayer's best album since Seasons In The Abyss.

The bonus dvd with the Wacken performance is great, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Slayer in terms of live musical performance. They've always been one of the tightest and best sounding live metal bands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
    The music and video to Repentless was shitty beyond compare. Looks like it was done by someone who has played far too many unrealistically violent video games.
    I kind of thought that was the point; to be "over the top", like a Cannibal Corpse video or Django Unchained or something like that (or a Danny Trejo movie )

As far as the music goes, you either love Slayer or you don't and Repentless is classic Slayer.

Jackthestripper: Funny, when I bought Book of Souls the week before, I was immediately disappointed and it was dumped for Repentless the next Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    To answer your question I much prefer DIM. I think Bitter Peace, Perversions Of Pain, Desire and Point are all excellent. I think maybe the title track off of Repentless is the best song out of both albums but DIM is stronger front to back.
    A true Hanneman fan indeed! I just cannot get into that album, a few songs stand out (bitter peace, stain of mind) other than that I must say that's the one Slayer album that has dust on it.

Agreed on Show No Mercy, perhaps the best debut from any of the Bay area thrashers.

I just bought Decade Of Aggression and received a coupon for the new Slayer album for only 7.99. Well I picked it up as well of course and I am just about ready to give it a listen in a few hours. I will report back once I have absorbed it.

Just picked up the new album. Listened to it 3 times and I am liking it. There ar some filler tracks that i found forgettable but I really like cast the first stone as the best song on the album. The other cool tracks include vices, implode and when the stillness comes. This album is just classic Slayer and they always do the same thing for me. Love their consistency from album to album. They definitely topped their last few albums simply because this brought me back to enjoying Slayer again!

Honestly I've found everything they've done since (and including most of) Seasons to be pretty boring. Probably won't check this out.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

On my second listen and I will be damned this is actually a solid Thrash Metal album!!! Gratefully loving this - it sounds like Slayer to me!!!!

The more I hear this the more I like it. This is some wicked Slayer and I hate to say it but this might be the best album they have done in a decade and a half.

On my second listen and I will be damned this is actually a solid Thrash Metal album!!! Gratefully loving this - it sounds like Slayer to me!!!!
    The more I hear this the more I like it. This is some wicked Slayer and I hate to say it but this might be the best album they have done in a decade and a half.
    This fucking albums kicks!!! It IS the best thing they have done for 15 years no doubt. Even though it is technically only half the band it is still great stuff with memorable riffs and drumming and some shock value to go with them. Tom sounds interested and vital and Holt adds to the fold with his solos.

I'm loving it too. I always have trouble with things like "name your favorite...song...band...album". So I don't know if I think it's their best in the last 15 years. I, personally think it beats the hell out of Diabolus, that was 1998 I think. GHUA in 2001, probably about even with that one. Christ Illusion I really like, so I can't say Repentless is better than that one, although it is blown-out so production-wise Repentless is better. I do think Repentless is better than WPB. So out of the last 17 years I think it beats 2, maybe even with 1 and slightly less killer than 1.

The tabloid of the Metal World - Blabbermouth gave Repentless a 6.5 out of 10. It is way better than that!!

Loving this damn album - cannot get enough of it - Itunes says 56 listens so far!!!

Loving this damn album - cannot get enough of it - Itunes says 56 listens so far!!!
    New album is a mixed bag but it's still Slayer. I listened to South of Heaven the other day and I got goosebumps listening to Mandatory Suicide. I don't think they will ever regain their past glories.

Been listening to this album all week practically, I have to say I like it, reminds me of Slayer of old, though only half the original band is on the album, I like it a lot better than World Painted Blood.

You Against You, is my favorite off the album right now, the entire album is good, I find myself liking it a lot better than anything Metallica has released since the Black album.

I had the limited edition but had to return it because the discs were glued inside the pouches of the cover, took it back got another limited edition, opened it in front of the store clerk and the same thing, discs glued inside, maybe a packaging defect and where they were stored, perhaps extreme heat melted the glue onto the discs, so I traded it in for a regular copy and for the price difference got World Painted Blood.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 09-10-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I agree with Thel, this is the real deal Slayer, just listened to this the other day and this blows me away every time, brutal Slayer onslaught!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    Boring, tired and derivative. Possibly their worst album.
    You have to be kidding me, their worst album would be World Painted Blood, if you want to classify a worst album.

Tbh I think both are bad
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
    Tbh I think both are bad
    It’s good to hear others opinions, World Painted Blood and Christ Illusion in my humble opinion aren’t that good, World Painted Blood being the worst one, after Divine Intervention I didn’t care for the albums that came after it, but Repentless I think is turn back to the Slayer of old, which I love.

Good to see you back Buffalo Bill, hope you’ve been well.