Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Great that you saw through the lies and narrative. And got to hear a lot of good music in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
    Great that you saw through the lies and narrative. And got to hear a lot of good music in the process.
    Thanks. And thanks for reading my admittedly self-indulgent account of my arrival to this point haha.

Peoples ears were lying to them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Thanks. And thanks for reading my admittedly self-indulgent account of my arrival to this point haha.
    No, I find personal accounts interesting when they're told/written well. It sheds light on more than just the one person's experience.

I can't wait to see Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposes (with Live included in the same package hopefully) and Forbidden in Deluxe edition format! As for new tracks, I think it would be interesting to hear a single track recorded for each re-release in the vein of that record to go onto the bonus disc. If that were the case I wouldn't have a problem with them being referred to as new 'Black Sabbath' songs.... kind of like the 3 tracks on The Dio Years
    If your out on a lonely highway, if you travel on a rolling light, don't come to me for comfort, i'm alright

I really hope the same guy that handled the mastering for the deluxe editions of H&H until EI gets to do it for the rest of the Tony Martin era if/when it happens. The deluxe editions all sound great and have high scores of dynamic range on the dynamic range database. I got the overly compressed 1996 remasters when I was still young and ignorant of the "loudness war", so I have started replacing my entire Sabbath collection with more dynamic editions... I'm hoping that if the Martin albums are re-released, I can get those editions and not have to pay an arm and a leg to get the out-of-print originals.

Argh really wanting these now lol, so close I can feel it, wanna hear the New music that the two Tony's make for the Remasters as well, always welcome More Black Sabbath I do

I really don't understand all this revisionism going on for the Martin era. I was buying these records when they came out because they had the Sabs name, but they were patchy, always with a few clunkers included.

I also saw the band on numerous occasions and apart from the HC, they were pretty average.

Martin generally got poor reviews for his performances and some of his attempts at the MK1 songs were awful. At the gigs I attended, the attendances were falling away and I ended up watching them in half filled clubs.

In the US, they couldn't give the albums away and sales fell dramatically in the UK, so I don't see who would be buying this stuff now, especially when some of it sounds really dated.

Sorry for what may seem like a negative post, but these were hardly the glory years for Sabbath.

Banned

80s and 90s Sabbath are better than 70s Sabbath.

For the full story on that, read some 50 - 200 topics going back a decade plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbath68 View Post
    I really don't understand all this revisionism going on for the Martin era. I was buying these records when they came out because they had the Sabs name, but they were patchy, always with a few clunkers included.

I also saw the band on numerous occasions and apart from the HC, they were pretty average.

Martin generally got poor reviews for his performances and some of his attempts at the MK1 songs were awful. At the gigs I attended, the attendances were falling away and I ended up watching them in half filled clubs.

In the US, they couldn't give the albums away and sales fell dramatically in the UK, so I don't see who would be buying this stuff now, especially when some of it sounds really dated.

Sorry for what may seem like a negative post, but these were hardly the glory years for Sabbath.
    The exact opposite of everything you said \m/
    Martin Era is superior to all!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbath68 View Post

Fair post, but seeng both the Ozzy & Dio era's have been given the deluxe/remastered/boxset treatment it seems only fitting that for completion purposes(more than anything else) that the TM era does too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    I am unaware of any other Sabbath era. The Eternal Idol = the debut album.

There's quite a lot in the Martin era that's commendable, but I think Iommi was restrained by record execs that wouldn't let him not be Black Sabbath. I remember when the legal arrangement to make Black Sabbath have to have 3 of the original 4 members to be able to use that name came out, I was pissed off at the slight it gave to the Martin and Dio work.

Older and wiser, I see that that arrangement essentially freed Iommi from always having to make a Black Sabbath record. For him to work with Glenn Hughes and Ian Gillan without the BS name hanging over them allowed them to make some liberating choices. I look forward to new work with Martin with a similar lack of restraints.

Originally Posted by ronn The exact opposite of everything you said \m/

I am unaware of any other Sabbath era. The Eternal Idol = the debut album.
    To correct both of you: I am unaware of the 'Martin Era' as it was a fallacy. The albums produced with Marin (and the album produced with Glenn Hughes) erroneously under the Black Sabbath name pale in comparison to the true Sabbath Eras.

Ted

Banned

You've got it all wrong. Sabbath, The Eternal Idol, 1987. Their first album. Heaven and Hell was a great band too and before them there was some foursome into drug abuse and occasional music, but I don't care much for these quaint pub tales out of Birmingham.

^^ Well if it hadn't been for that 'foursome into drug abuse...' as you call them, then The Eternal Idol and all of those other mid-80's to mid-90's albums which sound more like Foreigner II (Dehumanizer excepted) wouldn't have happened.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    ^^ Well if it hadn't been for that 'foursome into drug abuse...' as you call them, then The Eternal Idol and all of those other mid-80's to mid-90's albums which sound more like Foreigner II (Dehumanizer excepted) wouldn't have happened.

Ted
    Ted , hope your well .... Truthfully - have you actually listened and dissected the 49 to 52 standard Black Sabbath Martin Era tracks - they are brilliant , unlike anything out there , one of kind sounding .... it's what makes the Martin Era so utterly fantastic , and allows Sabbath to be so fantantabulous - without it ,, well let's just say , Sabbath would be loosing a lot of what makes them special .... and don't get me started on the Hughes Era.

Just asking , cause most people are clueless .... that's why I appreciate what Sin plays on ... it shows how rediculous a lot of "music lovers" sound - see how silly you think his post are about the Ozzy Era , well if the shoe fits .... that's how many sound about the Martin Era.

Just a thought .... God Bless buddy

Who is Martin Era and why are we talking about him? More like Eternal Idle am I right?

Banned

At least you can thank a Martin era fan for the punny style you ripped off him.

More like puny am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Ted , hope your well .... Truthfully - have you actually listened and dissected the 49 to 52 standard Black Sabbath Martin Era tracks - they are brilliant , unlike anything out there , one of kind sounding .... it's what makes the Martin Era so utterly fantastic , and allows Sabbath to be so fantantabulous - without it ,, well let's just say , Sabbath would be loosing a lot of what makes them special .... and don't get me started on the Hughes Era.

Just asking , cause most people are clueless .... that's why I appreciate what Sin plays on ... it shows how rediculous a lot of "music lovers" sound - see how silly you think his post are about the Ozzy Era , well if the shoe fits .... that's how many sound about the Martin Era.

Just a thought .... God Bless buddy
    No, BTE, I have not listened to much less dissected every single Martin-Era track but Ive heard enough to stand by my Foreigner II summary regarding the music. To call the tracks brilliant while in the same sentence stating they are unlike anything out there and one of a kind sounding thereby making that Era so utterly fantastic defies logic.

Regarding the Hughes Era, I wouldnt regard it as such as he only did 1 album with them. And Ill have to double check Sins posts and get back to you, my buddy.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    No, BTE, I have not listened to much less dissected every single Martin-Era track but Ive heard enough to stand by my Foreigner II summary regarding the music. To call the tracks brilliant while in the same sentence stating they are unlike anything out there and one of a kind sounding thereby making that Era so utterly fantastic defies logic.

Regarding the Hughes Era, I wouldnt regard it as such as he only did 1 album with them. And Ill have to double check Sins posts and get back to you, my buddy.

Ted
    Got it .... makes total sense now ,, God Bless my good brother

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Got it .... makes total sense now ,, God Bless my good brother
    ! \m/

with ozzy they were the greatest band in the world and with dio they weren't far off. The other eras are very patchy indeed and I must say at times painful but what I will say is that kill in the spirit world is superb. I may give these reissues a bash because even though I'm not keen on TM, iommi's guitar work is always worth a listen.

I like the Martin Era, a lot of great songs. The lyrics are Vague New-Age Luciferian type stuff and sets it apart from the other eras:

Ozzy 1-4: Pagan
    Ozzy 5-8: Agnostic Drug Occult scene Kiddies
    Dio: Dungeons and Dragons Sorcery
    Martin: New Age Luciferianism

As for the other minor eras, they are too ridiculous to classify. (Hughes: Egyptian? WTF?)

But came to say how much more I might like the Martin era if they were produced 70's style, without all the fog machines and rack reverb units and digital choruses. But then again, that DOES add to it's chosen idiom, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    As for the other minor eras, they are too ridiculous to classify.
    There's only 1 era you didn't classify: Ian Gillan's, so I'll do it for you: back to basics/old school. Not ridiculous, but epic.

Ted

We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

^^^

Eddie seems fixated with the touring side of a reunion with Martin or Hughes... but Iommi won't be touring (at least not to any great extent), so his negativity makes no sense to me. So if there won't be a tour it's not important as to weather Martin or Hughes could do justice to Dio's songs.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Banned

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the caller. Calls into question Ozzy's vocal capabilities of the last few years and then goes on to say that therefore Iommi should reunite with Martin and with his high range could also sing Dio era stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    ^^^

Eddie seems fixated with the touring side of a reunion with Martin or Hughes... but Iommi won't be touring (at least not to any great extent), so his negativity makes no sense to me. So if there won't be a tour it's not important as to weather Martin or Hughes could do justice to Dio's songs.
    Absolutely agree, Eddie's just looking at money aspect. I'm hoping that maybe Tony made enough dough from The End Tour, that he can relax and make music for the love it, with whomever he wants to make it with, without trying to top a # 1 album or live up to impossible legacy.
    We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    You must be joking?

Iommi 'wants to' work with Martin

Former BLACK SABBATH singer Tony Martin was interviewed by Metal Jacket Magazine two days before his May 16 performance in Zagreb, Croatia as a guest at a concert of Zele Lipovača, longtime guitarist of the Bosnian heavy metal band DIVLJE JAGODE. You can now watch the chat below. A couple of excerpta follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On his upcoming solo album and autobiography:

Tony: "Well, it’s changed. It started off as 'Book Of Shadows', but now I can't use that, 'cause that's been used a couple of times now. So then it went through a couple of other changes, and now I'm thinking it might be called 'Think No Evil'. It's really the story of me, from before BLACK SABBATH, through BLACK SABBATH and after, so it's like a whole biography thing. But I also have personal video that I took on the tour bus, backstage, in the studio and stuff like that, and I wanna put that on a DVD in the book, but I'm just finding it slightly difficult to get a publisher to do the video part and the book together. Publishers don't usually release DVDs, so you have to go to somebody else and get the DVD and them getting them to coordinate to put the two things together, it's a bit difficult. And there's lots of people talking about it. But for now, I just keep writing and putting all the stories in, and hopefully it'll come at the end of the year — I hope."

On the status of the previously proposed reissues of albums from his era of BLACK SABBATH, featuring bonus material, including some new music:

Tony: "It is definitely possible. I spoke to [BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi] just a few weeks ago. He's bought a new house and he's building a new studio. He said he needs to set that up and get that all ready. But when he's ready, I'm happy to do it, and I know he wants to do it. And just the fact that he wants to do it, it's, like, 'Oh, yeah. That's cool.' [Laughs] 'That's cool.' 'Cause those albums have been deleted for a long time, and I think they could sound better. Especially 'Forbidden' — oooohhhh… I hate that. It was the end of my time with BLACK SABBATH, so it's so… When I listen to it now, I think how I could make it better. So if he gives me the chance, I would love to do that again. Yeah, the possibility is definitely there. If he doesn't die… [Laughs] But, yes, I'm happy to think that it will be sometime soon."

On BLACK SABBATH's much-maligned "Forbidden" album not sounding like a true SABBATH release:

Tony: "I told [Iommi] that. It was me, Cozy Powell and Geoff Nicholls, I think, who is also not with us now. We were saying that 'this is not BLACK SABBATH.' And I understand what they were trying to do — the RUN-D.M.C. thing — but no, it didn't work. It didn't work. I have demos from the rehearsals, and it sounded really cool — really hard, and some of the songs are really kicking it. So I would love to re-record that. And if I got the chance, I'd actually like to re-write some of the lyrics, because my head wasn't there in the album. But if I get the chance, we'll have a go."

On the status of the long-awaited follow-up to his last solo album, "Scream", which was released in November 2005 via MTM Music:

Tony: "Well, there was supposed to be a trilogy with 'Scream' — so it was 'Clean', 'Mean' and 'Scream'. So there was supposed to be a light rock [album called] 'Clean'. Then the 'Mean' album was going to be more like grungy, sort of dirty rock. And then 'Scream' was was supposed to be the heavy metal album. And they said, 'No. You can only do the 'Scream' one.' So I didn't get the chance to do the other two. One day, I'd like to complete the trilogy — the 'Clean', 'Mean' and 'Scream' — which shows the — in brackets, the 'talent' of Tony Martin, the different kinds of music that I can perform on. Again, that's a possibility. It's there waiting to be picked up, and I have the rights for that. So I just have to try and get this solo album out first and then maybe I can revisit some of the old things and get those out. I've got a lot of music that I could do. It's just time, really. I'm sixty years old now, so I'm running out of time."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-...W2PiAOZdKtR.99

Banned

How does a 10 second verse in one song turn an album into Run DMC? I don't listen to rap but the idea of that bit ruining Forbidden is nuts. I also prefer they do something which sounds different instead of returning to 1995.

I was going to post the link to the Blabbermouth article but I see someone here beat me to it. Potentially good news for those who are looking forward to those TM albums being re-released and/or new music from the 2 Tonys.

Ted

Banned

I surely hope it will happen soon...

I do not quite agree with Tony about Forbidden though...it has some great stuff on it and it surely is no run dmc sounding shit.

Since it was produced/mixed by Ernie C, the whole thing 'brings the noise'.

How does a 10 second verse in one song turn an album into Run DMC? I don't listen to rap but the idea of that bit ruining Forbidden is nuts. I also prefer they do something which sounds different instead of returning to 1995.
    I was wondering the same thing. What is he talking about? There is no rap anywhere on the album. If he's upset that Forbidden has a bad reputation as a "rap Sabbath" album it's because he's the one who perpetuates it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petoria000 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. What is he talking about? There is no rap anywhere on the album. If he's upset that Forbidden has a bad reputation as a "rap Sabbath" album it's because he's the one who perpetuates it.
    Musicians talk a lot of shit because they come mostly from a place of emotion and not facts.

Forbidden sounding like a RUN DMC album? Come on, just because Ice-T says a few words in Illusion Of Power? Preposterous!
    "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
    ~ Ronnie James Dio

Forbidden has some excellent songs on it but is in dire need of a remix, especially the drums. It sounds like Cozy is hitting plant pots instead of the "thundersticks" (no, not the Samson drummer) we fondly knew him to be.
    He is not here. He has risen!