Thread: Punk

Default Punk

Discuss punk here. The only punk I truly enjoy is that of the hardcore variety.

You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

You tried to suppress me
    I come around

Classic....

We don抰 see things as they are; we see them as we are.

A Deadboys cover:

Absolutely adore and love the Triad Of Punk -Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and the greatest of the three The Misfits!!
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Was never big on punk except for a bit of crust and hardcore.

As for hardcore though, my bud used to be in a band called At Odds. I think their "Cap City" demo is still on youtube.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Soria Moria, 豷tenfor sol og vestenfor m錸e, Norge

Hard Core Logo was a mindblowing movie for me when i was a kid. Now, twenty years after the fact, and having read the book, it's still the movie i refer to...

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til 醨s ok fri餫r ok forn si餽

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Huge fan of punk rock - especially the trinity - the Ramones, Sex Pistols & Clash. I still remember my sister giving me the first lp in 1976 & what a life changing experience it was. Their first 4 Lp's are absolute must haves in anyones collection. they were the band that once my friends & I saw them live made us go out and buy instruments & try to form our own bands. Johnny Ramone is the reason why I picked up a guitar - he is still one of my all time favorite guitarists.

One thing about the Ramones that I wish all bands would do - the Ramones live played all their songs in a melody with few breaks so you could get 32 songs in a 75 minute set. Definitely prefer bands to play music instead of talking between songs - just shut up and play.

Ramones live in Germany 1978

Also after the Ramones played in Austin at the Armadillo with the Runaways it seemed like every kid in Austin formed a punk band some of the better ones were the Skunks, The Dicks, The Big Boys & the Offenders

Skunks - Gimme Some - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-0AztSGoJo
    The Dicks - hate the police - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8O2ToQ_Dok
    The Big Boys - Funk Off/ Baby Lets Play God - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgKyruRqr4
    The Offenders - I hate Myself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2UI1lpRbc
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Hardcore done by metal guys, been enjoying this lately.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    They were the band that once my friends & I saw them live made us go out and buy instruments & try to form our own bands. Johnny Ramone is the reason why I picked up a guitar - he is still one of my all time favorite guitarists.

I didn't come across the Ramones (Or punk for that matter) till about the mid 80's in my teens. When I started to bring a few Ramones tunes into my first band's jam, the other guys hated it! They were a little older than me, and told me how when the Ramones appeared at a music festival they went to: http://www.feelnumb.com/2014/04/06/r...e/#lightbox/0/ They threw shit and booed them off the stage. It's weird, because I thought (And still do), that the Ramones were more "Rock N Roll" than most of shit that was coming out at that time. In a lot of ways, The Ramones are to 1978 what Nirvana was to 1992, if you get my meaning.
    Last edited by Axe fiend; 01-15-2016 at 11:00 AM.

The punk music used for Return Of the Living was a shining example of what punk could be.
    Pain and Poison Roses

This is perhaps the best punk song of all time.
    Last edited by Iron Wizard; 04-20-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    You tried to suppress me
    I come around

Banned

Best thing about punk ever is the influence on the first two Iron Maiden albums.

And The Damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
    Best thing about punk ever is the influence on the first two Iron Maiden albums.

And The Damned.
    What about being the direct predecessor to synth-pop/New Romantics, hence bands like Duran Duran and a-Ha?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    What about being the direct predecessor to synth-pop/New Romantics, hence bands like Duran Duran and a-Ha?
    I am quite a 'purist' and don't believe in watering things down. I tend to ignore the little bit of punk that was in them, which was probably gone after their first year.

a-ha were not new-romantic but simply synth pop/rock at the beginning. I haven't listened to a-ha for some years now.

I am quite a 'purist' and don't believe in watering things down. I tend to ignore the little bit of punk that was in them, which was probably gone after their first year.

a-ha were not new-romantic but simply synth pop/rock at the beginning. I haven't listened to a-ha for some years now.
    Noone've said there's any Punk in their music, cause there were'nt. Rather it was Punks aesthetics that gave them the idea to make music the way they did. Nothing to do with "puritism".
    And i did mention synth-pop along with New Romantics...

Banned

Kindly fornicate off, you boring vagina.
    Last edited by Sin Cardinal Sin; 04-21-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Kindly fornicate off, you boring vagina.
    Checkmate, and score And you loose again...

Can't resist.

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

The UK punk band Anthrax existed before the American thrash metal band.

They're pretty damn good too.

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

I was pretty oblivious to Punk when I started getting into rock music. I remember some mainstream media examples of punkers on TV shows and movies in the late 70's and early 80's, but I hadn't really heard anything legit in terms of music. In late 84 thanks to some mutual friends from high school I was exposed to some of the current bands going at the time including Social Distortion, Minor Threat, G.B.H., Exploited, Discharge, 7 Seconds, Misfits, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedy's. Simultaneously I was getting into Thrash and early Death metal so I was pulled into the underground music rip-current. At that time I got to the point where I wasnt liking what was coming from te bands I got into 2 -4 years prior like Def Lep, Van Halen, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, and Sabbath. I was only really keeping track of what was going on with Ozzy, Maiden and Queensryche, and a couple newer (to me at the time) bands like Accept, Raven, Loudness, and Yngwie. As time went on I was seeing bands like Slayer take out D.R.I. on early tours, Motorhead take out the Cro-Mags on a late 80's tour, and Megadeth tour with The Necros. Then we had local shows with Vio-Lence & the Mentors, Kreator, D.R.I. and VoiVod, Verbal Abuse with Death Angel, and then bands like M.O.D. coming around with Exodus, Sacred Reich, Suicidal etc.etc. I always enjoyed seeing a mix of Metal and Hardcore bands just for the variety factor. And the fans got along famously because we loved it all.

Aside from some friends, a lot of what fueled all this for me was underground college radio stations in Northern California. For me after school every day I was glued to the station based at Foothill College in Los Altos, CA KFJC. And thanks to them I got a quick education in other underground genre's and bands like Descendants, the early punk version of GooGoo Dolls (Nothing like the late 90's-2000's version) Butthole Surfers, Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy, Bauhaus, Christian Death, Mojo Nixon, Royal Crescent Mob, Jane's Addiction, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, the list goes on & on.

A lot of the great 80's bands broke up before the 80's were over. And my tastes changed a bit more by the early 90's. I was initially pleased in 94 - 95 when bands like Green Day (who for the record were a long running local band at that time) helped a pseudo Punk resurgence. But to me bands like the Offspring, and Rancid were never the same as hearing veterans like D.I., The FU's/Straw Dogs, T.S.O.L., The Dickies, early C.O.C., and Bad Brains tear it up.

I was recently watching a music professor doing a lecture online talking about a 19th century French composer I like. He opened his presentation talking about musical sincerity. That phrase really resonated with me. I hear a lot of huge mainstream acts, all the way across the spectrum from Rock N Roll to Death Metal where bands seem to lack a certain sincerity to me. Thats the vibe I got from a lot of the 90's & 2000's era punk bands. Its ultimately what keeps me stuck in the 80's for that kind of music (with a few very minor exceptions). One exception is a band made up of some Punk veterans, the band OFF (made up from members of Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Redd Kross). They play with that sincerity, and a conviction that is night & day compared to a lot of those bands trying to mimic older bands, any fan of Punk should seriously seek them out.

I like and still listen to all the bands I just mentioned in this rant. I highly encourage those reading this that are unaware, and curious to google each & every one of them and check them all out.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Great memories dev - thanks for sharing and nice to see you name drop Nitzer Ebb - lovez those guys - I am an Ebbhead for sure.

Ramones in their prime...still one of the best live footage ever.