Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Glenn Hughes thread

We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to see Glenn in 12 days in Battle Creek, MI... can't wait!
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    I'm going to see Glenn in 12 days in Battle Creek, MI... can't wait!
    Awesome! Hope you have a great time IR, Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Axe fiend View Post
    Great interview, thanks for posting

Facebook there is a page Glenn Hughes Fans.

https://www.facebook.com/glennhughes...f=ts&ref=br_tf
    Pain and Poison Roses

Facebook there is a page Glenn Hughes Fans.

https://www.facebook.com/glennhughes...f=ts&ref=br_tf
    Pain and Poison Roses

Just saw Glenn for the first time in Albany, he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by sellingmysoul View Post
    Just saw Glenn for the first time in Albany, he was great.
    His voice is strong. Better than ezra

Banned

When Sabbath is done I'd love for Tony to hook up with Glenn again to do another album and some dates under the name Fused or Seventh Star or something. I'd fly overseas for that...

Saw Glenn Hughes near Detroit a couple days ago. Great show. He (and his 3 piece band) sounded and played great. Very small venue and I was right at the stage (on guitarist's side). Very cool when you're used to sitting on the lawn. His opening act was killer as well - Joanne Shaw Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by protometal View Post
    Saw Glenn Hughes near Detroit a couple days ago. Great show. He (and his 3 piece band) sounded and played great. Very small venue and I was right at the stage (on guitarist's side). Very cool when you're used to sitting on the lawn. His opening act was killer as well - Joanne Shaw Taylor.
    Battle CreeK? I was on my way to the show when a drunk blew a stop sign and hit my car. Car's screwed, I'm fine. I waited forever for this show- glad to hear it was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    Battle CreeK? I was on my way to the show when a drunk blew a stop sign and hit my car. Car's screwed, I'm fine. I waited forever for this show- glad to hear it was a good one.
    Wow! Sorry to he hear that IR, glad you're OK.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how much of a man crush I have on Glenn and his voice. THANK YOU for posting this.

It only seems to be available to pre-order as a digital downloaad, I would prefer a CD but digital will do if need be.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    When Sabbath is done I'd love for Tony to hook up with Glenn again to do another album and some dates under the name Fused or Seventh Star or something. I'd fly overseas for that...
    Yes! I love the things they did together. They have enough material together that they wouldn't have to bring in any Black Sabbath or Deep Purple songs (well, Seventh Star is "officially" a Sabbath album, though not in the minds of either Tony or Glenn), though I wouldn't mind hearing Tony have a go at "Mistreated" (ok, I know Coverdale sang that by himself without Glenn!).
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    Yes! I love the things they did together. They have enough material together that they wouldn't have to bring in any Black Sabbath or Deep Purple songs (well, Seventh Star is "officially" a Sabbath album, though not in the minds of either Tony or Glenn), though I wouldn't mind hearing Tony have a go at "Mistreated" (ok, I know Coverdale sang that by himself without Glenn!).
    I know Black Country Communion did Burn live. In fact...

^^That said, I wouldn't mind hearing Tony sink his fingers into the "Burn" riff!

Glenn Hughes: My year of living dangerously with David Bowie
    26 September 2016, by Glenn Hughes

David Bowie and I first met in the summer of 1974 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in a room full of guys and girls that included Keith Moon, Ronnie Wood, Harry Nilsson, Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper. I wasn’t going completely off the rails… but I was about to. In walked Angie Bowie and said that her husband had seen me at the California Jam on the TV and wanted to meet me.

I was led upstairs into this dark room, everybody left and he asked me how I’d got into Purple when I was a soul guy. He was fascinated by that. We spoke for three or four hours about music, R&B… everything. The following day I worked at the studio [where Purple were making Stormbringer] and attended one of the several nights David was playing at the Universal Ampitheatre. The day after that he came to the studio and watched me sing the track Hold On. For the rest of that summer we were inseparable.

He asked to stay for a while at my place in Beverly Hills. I was in Germany but he came anyway – by train, alone… which was incredible for one of the world’s biggest stars. I arrived home five days later. At the time David was preparing himself for the role of The Man Who Fell To Earth. For a while nobody knew he was in LA except me and Phil Daoussis, the guy who looked after me back then – not even David’s manager Tony Defries, or the members of his band. I was sworn to secrecy.

I’m so full of respect for David. During the creation of Station To Station we were addled, out of our minds. How could he be so fearless as to stand at the mic and write those lyrics to Golden Years on the spot? That’s when he asked me to sing on the album, but the band [Deep Purple] and the management were against it. I don’t think anyone knows that, but it’s true and it really upset me.

He was always on at me about clothes. David threw a lot of mine away. I was writing my solo album Play Me Out and he might have been trying to mould me. He was going to produce it for me but that didn’t happen. He kept telling me, ‘You’ve got to keep changing – cut your hair, don’t write the same songs’.

By early 1975 we were both into coke – a lot. We were fiendish and paranoid to hell. With the filming of The Man Who Fell To Earth on the horizon, he was seeing things in the sky and drawing them on my windows in crayon. We were tripping… but he felt safe at my gated house, and it was okay. We didn’t really sleep that much.

David was very androgynous and those were very promiscuous times [in his autobiography, Hughes reveals having “loud, aggressive sex” with Angie Bowie]. We never slept together but thought nothing of walking arm in arm – it was completely innocent and kind of cute.

David moved out of my house and into a place on Doheny Drive, and that’s when the real madness began. One night I was there with Nigel Olsson, the drummer from Elton John’s band, and David was so high that he thought the devil was in his swimming pool. He had me in there fully clothed searching for the devil. He was out of his mind – we both were, and I say that out of love. He was wafer-thin. I scarcely remember seeing him sleep, but when he did so it was for days.

He famously called those times in Los Angeles his dark years, so it’s probably no surprise that our friendship didn’t last. After he left LA in 1976 he cut ties with most of acquaintances, including myself. I got messages from him throughout the 1980s and ’90s and sometimes saw him onstage, but he didn’t maintain contact with anybody.

Mutual friends say he was freaked out about his experiences in that era. They were times of surreal excess, but I’m happy to say both of us came out the other side, got sober and continued with our lives and careers.

Wow. I didn't know that Glenn had any connections with Bowie.

That whole era was an "era of living dangerously" for many rock musicians, especially regarding cocaine. It hadn't yet fully sunk in that doing blow in large quantities over a protracted time period could seriously impact your life and maybe kill you. The members of Fleetwood Mac have gone on extensive record about that.

For those who haven't heard it, Play Me Out sounds nothing like the vast majority of what Glenn has done before or since. It certainly didn't sound like Deep Purple or what little I have heard of Trapeze, and it didn't sound like Hughes-Thrall (even though Pat Travers played on it).

I used to have it. In fact, I would be hard pressed to call most of it a rock album. It's definitely a good listen, if you go in with an open mind, as Glenn's singing and bass playing are excellent, but it is definitely much more of a funk/soul album than anything approaching hard rock.

^^^ Yes! Play Me Out is definitely a unique album that I'm sure must have come straight out of Glenn's heart and comes across to me as being very honest. "It's About Time" and "Destiny" (Which feature Glenn's Trapeze bandmates) are my favourites.
    Whenever I give Play Me Out a play, I usually think of Coverdale's White Snake and Northwinds albums in the way, that like Play Me Out, they're very unPurple like and capture Glenn and David (IMO) being very true to themselves and their influences without trying capitalize on their Purple fame.

Any recommendations? I've got all the Hughes/Purple, Hughes/Iommi, BCC and California Breed albums but I don't have any of his solo stuff. Anything I really should adding to the collection?

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    Any recommendations? I've got all the Hughes/Purple, Hughes/Iommi, BCC and California Breed albums but I don't have any of his solo stuff. Anything I really should adding to the collection?

Two of my absolute favourite albums by Glenn are "Addiction" and "The Way It Is".

"Addiction" is a hard rock album with a touch of grunge here and there IMO, and was considered by Glenn to be his return to "Big Rock".
    "The Way It Is" has a little more variety and to me is a solid album from start to finish.

I'm not too familiar with albums like "Feel" or "From Now On", since I don't own them, but I do have "Return Of Crystal Karma", Building The Machine" and "Songs In The Key Of Rock", and I think they're good albums, but I just always seem to click with "Addiction" and "The Way It Is", Perhaps it's down to where I was in life when I heard those albums.

Last edited by Axe fiend; 10-03-2016 at 08:00 AM.

^^^ Darn it! Those two are very expensive second hand... for unknowns anyway. May well have to seek out on YouTube and then think about buying them.

Two of my absolute favourite albums by Glenn are "Addiction" and "The Way It Is".

"Addiction" is a hard rock album with a touch of grunge here and there IMO, and was considered by Glenn to be his return to "Big Rock".
    "The Way It Is" has a little more variety and to me is a solid album from start to finish.

I'm not too familiar with albums like "Feel" or "From Now On", since I don't own them, but I do have "Return Of Crystal Karma", Building The Machine" and "Songs In The Key Of Rock", and I think they're good albums, but I just always seem to click with "Addiction" and "The Way It Is", Perhaps it's down to where I was in life when I heard those albums.

no doubt , his two best albums with From Now On ... and Burning Japan Live . Addiction is my favorite .

I think these are his best as well. Soul Mover is probably #3.

Great post Axe, thanks for the find!

Another little gem:

Excellent stuff, thanks!

^^^ Yes! Play Me Out is definitely a unique album that I'm sure must have come straight out of Glenn's heart and comes across to me as being very honest. "It's About Time" and "Destiny" (Which feature Glenn's Trapeze bandmates) are my favourites.
    OK, TMI time here, but when I think of the album I think of getting laid in 1996 (when I still had the CD) with a woman who did NOT like hard rock/metal...but she did like Play Me Out! "Destiny" especially brings back that memory...

She also turned out to be quite kooky. Billy Joel's song "Laura" described her to a T (and no prizes for guessing what her name was).

Some of Glenn's smoother "soul rock" does have the potential to win over those who would not like his harder stuff with Purple, Iommi, BCC or even Hughes/Thrall (except maybe "Coast To Coast" - but that was an old Trapeze song that he and Thrall redid for that album).

Your fellow Canadian Pat Travers (and one of my all-time favourite guitarists) played on that album but I don't know which songs, as the CD I had didn't have much in the way of credits.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    OK, TMI time here, but when I think of the album I think of getting laid in 1996 (when I still had the CD) with a woman who did NOT like hard rock/metal...but she did like Play Me Out! "Destiny" especially brings back that memory...

She also turned out to be quite kooky. Billy Joel's song "Laura" described her to a T (and no prizes for guessing what her name was).

Some of Glenn's smoother "soul rock" does have the potential to win over those who would not like his harder stuff with Purple, Iommi, BCC or even Hughes/Thrall (except maybe "Coast To Coast" - but that was an old Trapeze song that he and Thrall redid for that album).

Your fellow Canadian Pat Travers (and one of my all-time favourite guitarists) played on that album but I don't know which songs, as the CD I had didn't have much in the way of credits.
    Awesome post DS!

Glenn talks about the new Black Country Communion album in this article. Apparently they go into the sudio 3rd January.

Guitar World Interview with Glenn Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    Glenn talks about the new Black Country Communion album in this article. Apparently they go into the sudio 3rd January.

Guitar World Interview with Glenn Hughes
    Yes!