Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls

Who's looking forward to this double album? First song came out today.
    Last edited by Sin Cardinal Sin; 09-27-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Banned

I really like this new song! On another site I frequent we were commenting how this has a nice 80s vibe to it. I think this bodes well for the new double album, only time will tell though.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Banned

Yes, a slight back to basics approach which is hopeful. The song lengths of course hint at more prog metal but a double Iron Maiden album is quite an event in any case.

I am. I know it will be good, as Iron Maiden can't really release a bad album.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

Music video is really cool. I will give the double album a listen but I'm not expecting much. Just not the biggest Maiden fan in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jstheconqueror View Post
    Music video is really cool. I will give the double album a listen but I'm not expecting much. Just not the biggest Maiden fan in the world.

You should definitely expand your Maiden collection, you will probably become a fan.
    You tried to suppress me
    I come around

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Wizard View Post
    Iron Maiden can't really release a bad album.

I am. I know it will be good, as Iron Maiden can't really release a bad album.
    I believe every album released after Powerslave to range from "mediocre" to "bad" tbh.

I enjoy and respect Maiden, but they released their classics (the first five), then they became derivative.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Banned

The song rocks, I like it. The video is cool too.

I will say though, Bruce's vocals kinda annoy me these days. Very much looking forward to the album though.

Love the song and the video.
    Bruce sings wonderfuly with a lower tone. the track grows on me listen after listen. A good 80's vibe la "Somewhere In Time" era . Nicko still 's got that fantastic groove.
    it seems to be a demo, which is not displease me.
    The video is truly in the spirit of old covers, full of references and details to all previous artworks.
    I don't really understand the bashing about The Final Frontier. I enjoy this album .

You should definitely expand your Maiden collection, you will probably become a fan.
    Don't get me wrong I like their classic stuff but I have not been interested in a long time. I will Always be a moderate fan of the band but they will never be one of my favorites.

I have had the album on pre-order ever since I heard it was being released.

That first song certainly sounds promising (I've only listend to it once) I expect it to grow on me. As TYR said it's got an old school vibe about it, I wonder if that is reflected through out the whole album?

I posted on the "..Last Album Bought" thread that my only concern is that there are 3 very long songs on the album, if they are of the quality of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner then great, but in recent albums their longer songs (8mins+) tend to be the low points of the albums.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
    I believe every album released after Powerslave to range from "mediocre" to "bad" tbh.

I enjoy and respect Maiden, but they released their classics (the first five), then they became derivative.
    Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are as great as the first five albums.

The new singles is great. It will keep growing on me like Redeemer of Souls did.

I only really like their first seven albums, haven't paid attention to anything past Seventh Son, too busy listening to my Sabbath and Sabbath related music, that's all I need, all I want!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I only really like their first seven albums, haven't paid attention to anything past Seventh Son, too busy listening to my Sabbath and Sabbath related music, that's all I need, all I want!
    Dude, you have no clue whatsoever what you're missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
    Cosmiceddie, when you love Sabbath as much as I do, you feel very little need to listen to anything else, I spend all my time and money on Sabbath, most of my time, I do have to devote my time to my family of course.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

I like the guitar solo's the best...

Dave Murray sounds like Dave Murray only more polished and very good. Adrian Smith's solo is good but not one of his best. I am surprised by Janick's final solo and how melodic and not crazy it sounds.... one of his best!

Bruce sounds good but not very original. The new album will be an epic monster I am sure

Banned

I was positively surprised with this one.

Sounds much more like the 80s stuff than I ever would have thought.

I'm so glad they're atleast trying to abandon the god awful modern sound they had on those last two albums which are, lets face it pretty much unlistenable....

I do worry about the song lengths on the album though...they are taking those long songs waaay too far. That's been Maiden's problem for a long time now. The songs are too repetetive and streched waaaaay too far for their own good.

My expectations are still pretty low but this new one (even if they stole the title from BLAZE, and even if the BLAZE song is much better) gave me some hope that Maiden might still have it...MIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSabbath89 View Post
    Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are as great as the first five albums.
    Nah, I never dug them. Okay for hardcore fans I guess, but absolutely nonessential metal imo.

Unlike him, I have listened to their entire discography and I can confirm he isn't missing out.

That's what I thought Buffalo Bill, perhaps they need to bring back Di'anno.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 08-15-2015 at 03:04 PM.

That would be cool. Will never happen though. Bruce is too much of an egomaniac to step down.

That would be cool. Will never happen though. Bruce is too much of an egomaniac to step down.
    Then they need to let him go.

Banned

Then they need to let him go.
    Have you heard Paul sing lately??? Seriously the guy sounds awful, and that's being nice. I've heard crows sing better than DiAnno!!! Abysmal.

My head explodes after 10 seconds of that!

How is that any worse than Bruce nowadays? Bruce sounds like a guy had a decade-long coke binge. Nasal as fuck and has trouble hitting notes even in the studio.

Banned

How is that any worse than Bruce nowadays? Bruce sounds like a guy had a decade-long coke binge. Nasal as fuck and has trouble hitting notes even in the studio.
    Oh come on...Paul can't even sing anymore, he just talks and even then he can't make any sense...you can't even make out 5% of what he's saying there.

Bruce isn't what he used to be, but atleast he still can sing.

It's kind of ironic that the one singer most Maiden fans seem to hate has only become better and better over the years and is the one who can deliver the most consistantly brilliant preformances....

Paul is just a little out of shape is all. If he got back into shape I'd bet he'd out sing Bruce.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Have you heard Paul sing lately??? Seriously the guy sounds awful, and that's being nice. I've heard crows sing better than DiAnno!!! Abysmal.

My head explodes after 10 seconds of that!
    And that's been cleaned up for release too. I saw him back in 2009 and he was way worse. To this day it's the one & only show that I walked out afterwards thinking "I just got duped"

I just do not get the hate for Dickinson - I personally think he still sounds damn good considering he has been doing this since before the 80s.
    And on those classic 5 albums from NOTB to SSOASS he is impeccable as far as I am concerned.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I love Maiden & all, but I'm not a huge fan of this new song. There's not one particular aspect that I think sucks about it, but the word mediocre was mentioned before, and I think thats appropriate in this instance. Although I do think the music is performed with as much enthusiasm as possible, it sounds like the guys are very into what they're playing here, but Im not, unfortunately. I'll try and stay optimistic about the album. I did like one or two songs from Final Frontier, so there's always a chance I'll connect with some of this new one. Actually 2 months back on a long drive I played Dance Of Death all the way through and was reminded how decent of an album that one is (imo). But over time it has seemed that as they've tried less at making hit singles, and tried harder to be a Heavy Metal Genesis, or Gentle Giant, there's less emphasis on hooks, and less material there that engages me.

As for Dianno's current vocal quality, I wonder if you just have to catch him on a good night? The only time I saw him was in 2011 in Hollywood with Icarus Witch as the backing band, and it was a killer, killer show. About a week after the show in L.A. they played in Vegas & streamed the whole performance online. I wound up recording it, and again Paul sounded great. Granted that was four years ago, I dont know when the clip posted above was recorded but perhaps he was having a bad night or he's lost a little in the intervening years. We all know Ozzy is very hit or miss so Paul could be faced with similar struggles.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

My brother , my man OID is a die hard Sabbath maniac ... that is where he devotes his time , well respected idea I must say .....

As for the comments here , take most with a grain of salt ,, your band - based on your avatar - does not have to answer to anyone ,,, even the Blaze Era is excellent , as for the first 5 and BRAVE NEW WORLD ... lets just say , that's about as good as music gets.

... as for Bruce , the guy is sensational from Beast til present day , owns the stage like very few front men ever have ,,, voice - whether one enjoys that style are not - is nothing short of - , "Your friggin 'WoW' - brilliant!"

... this band blows other bands off the stage , and without it being close .... Second concert I ever seen was Maiden , and it would be easier to count the tours I have not seen vs the Maiden shows I have seen .... on Ozzfest , Maiden took absolutely no prisoners ,, your band is "Beast" brother!!

.... walk with your head high , Maiden speaks for itself!

God Bless
    Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 08-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    ... this band blows other bands off the stage , and without it being close .... Second concert I ever seen was Maiden , and it would be easier to count the tours I have not seen vs the Maiden shows I have seen .... on Ozzfest , Maiden took absolutely no prisoners ,, your band is "Beast" brother!!
    I agree wholeheartedly, although I do think Priest have always been at least their equal in terms of live musical performance.

Maiden was my 3rd ever concert way back on the World Slavery Tour in 85 & it still rates as my alltime favourite gig alongside Metallica in 89. I've seen them on every Aus tour since 85 and they've always been nothing short of amazing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
    I have had the album on pre-order ever since I heard it was being released.

That first song certainly sounds promising (I've only listend to it once) I expect it to grow on me. As TYR said it's got an old school vibe about it, I wonder if that is reflected through out the whole album?

I posted on the "..Last Album Bought" thread that my only concern is that there are 3 very long songs on the album, if they are of the quality of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner then great, but in recent albums their longer songs (8mins+) tend to be the low points of the albums.
    Steve can get carried away ... sort of a 'Me galloping hard on the plains long time' mentality.

Hopefully Bruce can make better use of 18 minutes instead of playing with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemech View Post
    I just do not get the hate for Dickinson - I personally think he still sounds damn good considering he has been doing this since before the 80s.
    And on those classic 5 albums from NOTB to SSOASS he is impeccable as far as I am concerned.
    I definitely agree...he still sounds excellent, even live.
    You tried to suppress me
    I come around

Paul is just a little out of shape is all. If he got back into shape I'd bet he'd out sing Bruce.
    What a goner.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Oh come on...Paul can't even sing anymore, he just talks and even then he can't make any sense...you can't even make out 5% of what he's saying there.

Bruce isn't what he used to be, but atleast he still can sing.

It's kind of ironic that the one singer most Maiden fans seem to hate has only become better and better over the years and is the one who can deliver the most consistantly brilliant preformances....
    That is debatable.

Pretty much. Bruce's vocals are nails on a chalkboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemech View Post
    This, + Brave New World

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    And that's been cleaned up for release too. I saw him back in 2009 and he was way worse. To this day it's the one & only show that I walked out afterwards thinking "I just got duped"
    I went to see the Blaze / DiAnno show couple of years ago 2013 I think...Blaze went on first and was on fire! He's vocals were top notch...then came DiAnno...I could stand one song, then I took off...went to talk to Blaze for about a half an hour and then walked away. It was funny too as it was a packed house when Blaze played but it was also a packed house on the bar side when Blaze was talking to fans and signing stuff so not a whole of people stayed to see Paul, which was more than understandable.

Paul is a joke there is no way around that. And one can't say "he's just out of shape" or some bullshit like that...because if that would be the case Paul would have been out of shape for the past 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    My brother , my man OID is a die hard Sabbath maniac ... that is where he devotes his time , well respected idea I must say .....

As for the comments here , take most with a grain of salt ,, your band - based on your avatar - does not have to answer to anyone ,,, even the Blaze Era is excellent , as for the first 5 and BRAVE NEW WORLD ... lets just say , that's about as good as music gets.

... as for Bruce , the guy is sensational from Beast til present day , owns the stage like very few front men ever have ,,, voice - whether one enjoys that style are not - is nothing short of - , "Your friggin 'WoW' - brilliant!"

.... walk with your head high , Maiden speaks for itself!

God Bless
    Thank you Doc, you are a class act through and through, always!

Nothing against Bruce's work with Maiden, it would be cool though if they brought back Di'Anno which I don't think will ever happen, I think they might still have issues against each other.

I'll admit Paul sounded bad in that video, the guy looks like he hits the bottle a bit much and is overweight and he's also ripping off the Iron Maiden moniker design, which maybe he feels he helped create it.