Default Did The Devil You Know live up to past RJD/Sabbath albums in your opinion?

Curious to know your opinions.

I personally feel like half of the tracks are fantastic, and the other half not so much. Whilst songs like Bible Black, Atom & Evil and Follow The Tears are up there with their very best, songs like Rock and Roll Angel and Eating The Cannibals feel a little throwaway to me.

All in all, it's a strong album, but it would probably rank last in my ranking of the four Dio/Sabbath albums, which, to be fair, is more a testament to the strength of the previous albums than anything to do with the quality of TDYK.

Eating the Cannibals is F'n awesome. Extremely fresh riff with swinging bassline and drums, seldom seen from Appice. Half of this album is sludge, it's great to have an uptempo rocker. The lyrics are subversive and, if your ear is to the ground, timely or ahead of their time.

Four Great Songs, a few "Good Enough" songs, a couple of "Didn't I just hear that?" songs and one stinker.

The problem with this album compared to classic is that Dio is older and hovers around one key. It would seem he had more input, as well, because a lot of the tracks are samey same and just a bed of generic metal that he sings mercurial words over, which is what his Solo career suffered from a lot of the time.

This is the album that got me to finally warm up to Dio Sabbath. People on here seem to think of it as very mediocre, from what I've seen. Compared to 13, maybe it is, but compared to Dehumanizer, it kicked fucking ass, imo. I even like it a little better than Heaven And Hell. To me, TDYK is second only to Mob Rules. There's only two songs I didn't think were very good. Neverwhere and Turning The Screw. And they weren't THAT bad. Everything else ranged from really good to great. A shame this isn't an oficial Sabbath album. It may not be super creative, but It's certainly worthy.

Under Black Sabbath general and the BL albums you can see in what order i put their albums and maybe do your own list.

I think it's a solid album, I agree with Tromafreak on the 2 duds Neverwhere and Turn Of The Screw... truth be told, it's not as good as the 2 classics H&H and MR's but i like it better then Dehumanizer which for some reason to me doesn't age well... I still say if I was the producer I'd have had them work for instance 2 very good songs Follow The Tears and Breaking Into Heaven into more epic songs than they were... a little more light to go with the dark....
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Yes, I think The Devil You Know pretty much picked up where the new songs from The Dio Years left off. To my ears, it's not quite as good as Dehumanizer but equally as good as Mob Rules. I give it four stars. Fear is easily the best song on the album. I'm glad this lineup was able to make one more album for us.

For a VERY long time I thought TDYK sucked, but in recent years I've grown to like it. I still don't think it by any means holds up to the brilliance of Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer though.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    I think it's a solid album, I agree with Tromafreak on the 2 duds Neverwhere and Turn Of The Screw... truth be told, it's not as good as the 2 classics H&H and MR's but i like it better then Dehumanizer which for some reason to me doesn't age well... I still say if I was the producer I'd have had them work for instance 2 very good songs Follow The Tears and Breaking Into Heaven into more epic songs than they were... a little more light to go with the dark....
    I really like Turn Of The Screw.

It did for me although of the four I would place it fourth. "Bible Black" is one of the best tracks on any album, however.

Besides Bible Black and Follow the Tears I can't get into this album. The songs just seem too structured, verse, refrain, etc. The only Sabbath ("Heaven and Hell") album I don't care for.

My favorite Sabbath album, love it!

Some prior thoughts during a "listening" session .....

People , TDYK is un-friggin-real , my goodness I am so disappointed in my own personal stupidity , to not have realized the magnitude of this release ..... don't get me wrong , I have always went bonkers about it ,,,, but , damn , I had no clue - it is magnificent , possibly breaking the top 12 .... and that is unheard of ....

I challenge anyone to take the time and listen to the opening 5 tracks from "TDYK" - listen first , and then tell me a better opening 5 .... ATOM N EVIL , FEAR , BIBLE BLACK , DOUBLE THE PAIN , ROCK N ROLL ANGEL ..... amazing stuff!

I have a HUGE situation going on ,,, Even with my intense incredible passion for TDYK , I have ran into an intense revelation ..... ATOM N EVIL and BIBLE BLACK have always been , and easily are - 2 of the most elite Sabbath tracks ever assembled ..... BUT!!!!! ....

FEAR and DOUBLE THE PAIN (Like - Cool morning rain!!!!!) ,,, are now ahead of both tracks , DIO IS OFF THE FN CHARTS!!! ..... and ROCK N ROLL ANGEL is superior to all 4 songs ...... TDYK , is to the extreme - under rated - and wow , none of these tracks are even my favorite from this mega release.

I'm going to say right now , right here , and if I ever change my mind - I'm wrong when I do ..... THE MOST UNDER-RATED BLACK SABBATH SONG .... EVER ,,, and not because the vocalist is no longer with us ,, or that it was never played live ,, or the year it came out ,, or that it is found on Sabbath's highest charting album since MOR at the time ,, or that it is about Jesus ,, or that the tour was a monster success ,, or that this album put Sabbath back on the map ,, or the fact it wasn't even released under the Sabbath name ..... the reason it is the most underratted Sabbath track of all time - is the fact that it is PERFECT and astounding!! ....... it is - ROCK N ROLL ANGEL!!

Dio's voice more impressive during "Breaking into Heaven" , than it is during "Stargazer" ,, especially at his age ....

ďBreaking into HeavenĒ is a song that Ronnie shines above all on, and it seems a little bittersweet, considering itís the very last track he sang on when it comes to full studio albums .... this quote was sent to me today ,, and truer words could not be spoken ,, BREAKING INTO HEAVEN is bar none the most impressive vocal performance by Dio - EVER! .... The track is a top 4 Dio Era release , and of such high quality it blows the mind .... it may very well be the most epic track at the most perfect time that Sabbath has ever released.

EATING THE CANNIBALS!! ....... God Bless

I think it sounds like a bad Dio solo album.

Banned

To answer the original question...yes I believe that it did....Hell it was the first Black Sabbath album in 14 years! That already meant a lot at the time!

Songs like Bible Black, Rock 'n Roll Angel, Follow The Tears and Breaking Into Heaven all stand proudly with any of the classics....from any era.

If there is one gripe about the album I'd say it's the running order...Atom & Evil was a bad choice as an opener...a fast track like Eating The Cannibals or Fear would have been a better choice...

Also maybe one more faster song instead of a mid tempo song might have been a good idea, but this still isn't quite as slow as 13 turned out to be.

Overall what was/is so great about The Devil You Know is that it is so fresh...there is no rehashing or self plagiarism here, all songs sound new and exciting....not just going through Sabbath emotions or trying to catch some former glories and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    It did for me although of the four I would place it fourth.
    Fair statement 'DL'. Agreed.

Banned

^^I'd agree too, but still a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    To answer the original question...yes I believe that it did....Hell it was the first Black Sabbath album in 14 years! That already meant a lot at the time!

Songs like Bible Black, Rock 'n Roll Angel, Follow The Tears and Breaking Into Heaven all stand proudly with any of the classics....from any era.

If there is one gripe about the album I'd say it's the running order...Atom & Evil was a bad choice as an opener...a fast track like Eating The Cannibals or Fear would have been a better choice...

Also maybe one more faster song instead of a mid tempo song might have been a good idea, but this still isn't quite as slow as 13 turned out to be.

Overall what was/is so great about The Devil You Know is that it is so fresh...there is no rehashing or self plagiarism here, all songs sound new and exciting....not just going through Sabbath emotions or trying to catch some former glories and failing.
    Agree with a lot of your post, but "all songs sound fresh and exciting"? Seriously? too many 3 or 4 at least, sound like below avg. Dio solo slab... nice to see you back BTW...

As for comparison's to 13 two very different bands two very different sounds and processes of writing... you wouldn't know they're basically the same players with just a different singer... no band changed their "sound" more by just changing singers than BLACK SABBATH.
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Agree with a lot of your post, but "all songs sound fresh and exciting"? Seriously? too many 3 or 4 at least, sound like below avg. Dio solo slab... nice to see you back BTW...

As for comparison's to 13 two very different bands two very different sounds and processes of writing... you wouldn't know they're basically the same players with just a different singer... no band changed their "sound" more by just changing singers than BLACK SABBATH.
    Oh? I didn't know I had gone anywhere?

I can't really agree with that whole change of sound thing...to my ears the only albums that don't really sound like "Black Sabbath" are TE and NSD...there has never been such a dramatic(ly horrible) change in the bands sound since...not matter who the singer was. After those albums it was back to the riff oriented brilliance they'd had before too...

And I do stand by my "fresh and exciting" statement...there isn't a single song on this album that sounds like a song they'd done before.

Honestly, I wanted to get into it, but it didn't hold my attention like the other Dio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    Eating the Cannibals is F'n awesome. Extremely fresh riff with swinging bassline and drums, seldom seen from Appice. Half of this album is sludge, it's great to have an uptempo rocker. The lyrics are subversive and, if your ear is to the ground, timely or ahead of their time.

Four Great Songs, a few "Good Enough" songs, a couple of "Didn't I just hear that?" songs and one stinker.

The problem with this album compared to classic is that Dio is older and hovers around one key. It would seem he had more input, as well, because a lot of the tracks are samey same and just a bed of generic metal that he sings mercurial words over, which is what his Solo career suffered from a lot of the time.
    Agreed. It's a fine album, but "samey" nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post

yes agree most bands do suffer later in years from that affect, the singer loses an octive or two and the dynamics of the songs suffer.
    R. Blackmore