Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Year War

Default Ten Year War

Full announcement in two days... innnnnterrrresssssstingggggg...

Something to do with this, perhaps?

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...end-of-the-end

'TEN YEARS WAR'

The title reveals it all I guess , this will probably be a new multiple disc disc/Blu Ray covering the first 10 years of Sabbath '1968-1978' , will most likely be a compilation of all their rare gigs and footage that have been officially released to date yet (Belgium 1970 , Don Kirshner show 1975 ..etc) , something in the vein of Led Zeppelin's self titled DVD or the Deep Purple Archives DVD , yet this one might include some new fresh interviews from band members as well 'The Ten Years War' refers to the original Sabbath first 10 years where they were constantly being slagged and bashed by the media while on the contrary , selling millions of records and touring all over the world !

http://images.eil.com/large_image/BL...WAR-453549.jpg
    Last edited by IRON-MaN; 06-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Nothing of any interest here:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...m_medium=email

Just another repackaging exercise.

"All 8 Ozzy-Fronted Studio albums!"

Um...there are 9. Unless "13" was fake?

Meh... no demos, no unreleased tracks, no covers...
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Banned

249€???????????????? for yet another useless boxset reissue?????

What the holy fuck?

Ridiculous doesn't even come close....

Not even a "2017 DJ Tiesto Remix" version of anything...

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    "All 8 Ozzy-Fronted Studio albums!"

Um...there are 9. Unless "13" was fake?
    Another 8 disk compilation. Big yawn here. They couldn't even get it right and include 13. I'm going back to sleep. I'm so done with this. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

Nope nope nopity nope

When I click on the link it says something has come between us, due to licensing restrictions item not available in your country.
    "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
    ~ Ronnie James Dio

gadji beri bimba glandridi laula lonni cadori - Ball

Love new Sabbath , even when it's not new ....

Even if I could afford this no way I'm gonna buy it now when those Golden versions are sold out. As the pricing for "worse" releases is the same it would feel like second prize. So this is little bit more than usual "if you don't like, just don't buy it" thing. Quite stupid pricing policy, or then there should be only Golden ones if the price is same. Crucifix shaped USB stick would be nice though but 200+ euros for USB stick, phew... and probably it is something like 4GB only

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    Another 8 disk compilation. Big yawn here. They couldn't even get it right and include 13. I'm going back to sleep. I'm so done with this. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.
    '13' wouldn't form part of the 'Ten Year War' because it was released in 2013. Semantics, etc. But still.

I am real disappointed with this one. I was hoping for something new. That set is nice. I get it. But I would have preferred the DVD Iron-mAn mentioned. Or certainly a DVD of the final shows over this. I understand we still may get those things. But.. it's just an odd release to me.

If it were going to be analog, I'd probably bite because of the extras, but this is just another digitally sourced deal where look is going to trump sound, IMO.

I can't imagine they won't capitalize on archive video footage at some point. And the thing is, all they need to do is license the best possible sources, compile things and release it! If you think about the Led Zeppelin DVD you're talking about Jimmy Page painstakingly editing and polishing to attempt to show Led Zeppelin's live experience in the best possible light. Iommi doesn't need to do squat. The footage that is out there shows this was one of the best live bands on the planet and it can probably be released for the most part "as is."

They are just way behind on this. Deep Purple has a mountain of DVDs containing vintage footage available, and yet nothing from Sabbath. My guess is that that they probably feel stuff like that can come out when they don't have any new product to offer and obviously a DVD of The End tour is in the works, but yet the first eight albums get recycled again and again without much hesitation.

The stuff they could release on DVD would really put the official stamp on the quality of their live shows in the 70s. The promoter of Cal Jam (name escapes me) who had of course seen countless rock shows said that Sabbath's performance at the festival was the greatest performance he had ever seen by anyone. And even if only 25 minutes exist, this stuff is sitting there in color with great sound. If ABC controls it, pay them and get it done. Kirshner as well. That stuff would be super expensive to license but FFS I cannot imagine it wouldn't pay off. Instead they take the footage from "Hole In The Sky," change it to B&W (probably to get around licensing?), overdub the studio version and release a "video" on YT?

This band needs no help in knowing how to market themselves as they are one of the biggest acts on the planet, but yet I do feel they miss out on a lot of opportunities to take things even further. And I really feel it's because Tony doesn't want to take ownership of the brand like he did in the mid 70s due to the tensions that perhaps caused overall. But he should look at his buddy Jimmy Page and the way he controls the Led Zeppelin archive. Of course, Tony might feel like he is still active and has better things to do than milk the past, so I don't know ...

A little disappointed after being excited, but no big deal.
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

So there is no way to get this if it's not marketed in America and all the good ones are sold out?

Will it be available in eBay?
    "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
    ~ Ronnie James Dio

Banned

As much as my OCD is telling me to "get it" I'm tipping there is gonna be an influx of Sabbath material next year to mark their 50th anniversary so I'm gonna save my Sabbath dollars for then. Nice looking set though...

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I can't imagine they won't capitalize on archive video footage at some point..
    Ofcourse, but if you're able to capitalize on rehashes too, then why? Though i agree wholeheartedly with you, see it from their point of view. It's just something about Sabbath and unreleased material. After all, we only got the bonus discs for the first three because they didn't have full control over it.
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-24-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    my OCD is telling me to "get it"
    Me too, and i guess it's fanfreaks and collectors like us they're catering to with limited releases and different versions. Doesn't even seem to be much difference between the versions either, exept some (equally) limited artwork. Not even the same in every one, as far as i can see, if you got the gold one, you won't get the artwork from the two top silver ones (which also doesn't have the same ones). The less silver one doesn't have any (should've been bronze, then). So to get them all, you'd have to buy three boxes.
    And they all cost the same...
    Clarely only to milk a fancraze people like us helped create. Still want one, though...

But good point about hopefully alot of new and better stuff to come.

https://www.tenyearwar.com/
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 06-24-2017 at 05:08 AM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Is this a band sponsored release and will Rhino be releasing this here in the U.S.?
    ~ Ronnie James Dio

How's this for a Sabbath idea guys ..... Either here or in "The Listen" or someone start a new thread - the FIRST 10 people (time wise) to post one of their own personal favorite Sabbath moments ,,, either a listening experience , a concert , meeting the band , a revelation or anything - someone takes those FIRST 10 stories and makes a new thread with a poll everyone can vote on ,, with the 10 people's names listed in the poll - and the TOP 3 vote getters (does NOT matter who has the most votes , as long as they are one of the TOP 3) will be put into a drawing by Mary or myself , and the name that gets pulled - I will send free of charge (product and shipping) , one of the three sets ..... if I have no sets remaining ,, then the winner can order themselves one of the sets (reasonably priced) , and I will send that winner a check to cover the cost of the product and the shipping.

.... also whoever sets up the poll thread after we have 10 stories , make sure everyone can vote just one time for 3 people , themselves and 2 others ..... and in that thread (kind of like survivor) , you can make a case for why others should vote for you and or for someone else .... with a time limit til the poll closes.

Kool idea ? ,,, or no ..... you guys decide - could be a fun Sabbath experience ,, happy storytelling!!

God Bless

^^^^
    Doc , thanx again for this gesture of kindness and generosity. You 're the man .
    Your idea should be so much appreciated here.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    How's this for a Sabbath idea guys ..... Either here or in "The Listen" or someone start a new thread - the FIRST 10 people (time wise) to post one of their own personal favorite Sabbath moments ,,, either a listening experience , a concert , meeting the band , a revelation or anything - someone takes those FIRST 10 stories and makes a new thread with a poll everyone can vote on ,, with the 10 people's names listed in the poll - and the TOP 3 vote getters (does NOT matter who has the most votes , as long as they are one of the TOP 3) will be put into a drawing by Mary or myself , and the name that gets pulled - I will send free of charge (product and shipping) , one of the three sets ..... if I have no sets remaining ,, then the winner can order themselves one of the sets (reasonably priced) , and I will send that winner a check to cover the cost of the product and the shipping.

.... also whoever sets up the poll thread after we have 10 stories , make sure everyone can vote just one time for 3 people , themselves and 2 others ..... and in that thread (kind of like survivor) , you can make a case for why others should vote for you and or for someone else .... with a time limit til the poll closes.

Kool idea ? ,,, or no ..... you guys decide - could be a fun Sabbath experience ,, happy storytelling!!

God Bless
    A revelation for the prize Doc,

I am black sabbath, the music is my medicine, it's intoxicating.
    When I'm listening I become one with the music, it runs through my blood, it's bloody good!
    I need it every day, it's my drug, every song, every era, I am Black Sabbath \m/

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    A revelation for the prize Doc,

I am black sabbath, the music is my medicine, it's intoxicating.
    When I'm listening I become one with the music, it runs through my blood, it's bloody good!
    I need it every day, it's my drug, every song, every era, I am Black Sabbath \m/
    Absolutely Fantastic brother , love it!!! ,,,, between this and the 3 "moving" stories from TYR66 , Sabman and Sweet in "The Listen" ,, we have 4 awesome contenders!! ,,, now let's get 6 more and take it to the polls for some voting , fun , surprises and gems!!

.... if anyone's interested ,, I sometimes tend to get excited and ahead of myself , while others wonder - "what's up with this dude?"

God Bless

Ok, Doc, I'll play.

But I have think about this ...
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

Contender #5 , "thewizard" - has entered the contest with a beautiful Dio Era moment posted in "The Listen" ,,,, this is what gets the juices flowing - "thewizard" I always took as a Oz Era first kind of guy , and here his story takes us right in the heart of the "Mob Rules" !!!! ..... Good stuff wizard , good stuff indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Ok, Doc, I'll play.

But I have think about this ...
    Contender #6 right around the corner!! ,,, you can't keep a real Sab Maniac silent for long ,, beautiful member to have join this Sab circus camaraderie ..... take your time brother , the highest voted moments (when we get to 10 members strong) - enters the raffle for a gem-set of SABBATH!!

thewizard n Jeff , Thank you for joining - not only to make me feel less "crazy" ,, but giving the other contenders a chance to have a drawing / raffle / whatever .... you , Sabbath fans - FN ROCK!

God bless

Absolutely Fantastic brother , love it!!! ,,,, between this and the 3 "moving" stories from TYR66 , Sabman and Sweet in "The Listen" ,, we have 4 awesome contenders!! ,,, now let's get 6 more and take it to the polls for some voting , fun , surprises and gems!!

.... if anyone's interested ,, I sometimes tend to get excited and ahead of myself , while others wonder - "what's up with this dude?"

God Bless
    Thanks Doc \m/
    Going for the win

Great looking prize, color vinyls of all 8 must look amazing!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NibRules View Post
    Even if I could afford this no way I'm gonna buy it now when those Golden versions are sold out. As the pricing for "worse" releases is the same it would feel like second prize. So this is little bit more than usual "if you don't like, just don't buy it" thing. Quite stupid pricing policy, or then there should be only Golden ones if the price is same. Crucifix shaped USB stick would be nice though but 200+ euros for USB stick, phew... and probably it is something like 4GB only
    Yeah seems a bit silly that the standard(inferior) box sets were priced the same as the litho signed or unsigned and golden box sets.

I would bet that if Sabbath had a proper manager intead of Sharon who's only interested in making money from the old records and obliterating any evidence of post Ozzy Sabbath, we would have a proper DVD set instead of this rubbish again. It's very simple, we know what exists. Just release it!

DVD ONE

Paris 1970 complete
    California Jam 1974 25 minute complete

Extras:

Beat Club 1970
    Top Of The Pops 1970
    Belgian TV 1970
    Germany 1970 War Pigs clip
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath promo

DVD TWO

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert complete
    Hammersmith Odeon 1978 complete

Extras:

Rock And Roll Doctor promo
    It's Alright promo
    Hard Road promo
    Top Of The Pops 1978

The Paris footage belongs to Reelin In The Years right now. Get the film off them and transfer it to HD. California Jam and DKRC must be in the TV station archives and Never Say Die can be copied straight from the same source as the DVD. It would be nice if more footage existed but probably it doesn't.

Apart from this, I'd kill to see a release of the 1983 Live Evil film footage with Dio. We should also have the Santa Monica 1975 show released by now. It's sad to think that such a good live band as Sabbath only has Live At Last from original the Ozzy years!

^^ The Live Evil footage w/Dio would have been filmed in 1982. Also, how about the 1983 Reading Festival appearance w/Ian Gillan released in full?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    ^^ The Live Evil footage w/Dio would have been filmed in 1982. Also, how about the 1983 Reading Festival appearance w/Ian Gillan released in full?

Ted
    Hear, hear, well spoken, Ted!

Contender #5 , "thewizard" - has entered the contest with a beautiful Dio Era moment posted in "The Listen" ,,,, this is what gets the juices flowing - "thewizard" I always took as a Oz Era first kind of guy , and here his story takes us right in the heart of the "Mob Rules" !!!! ..... Good stuff wizard , good stuff indeed!

Contender #6 right around the corner!! ,,, you can't keep a real Sab Maniac silent for long ,, beautiful member to have join this Sab circus camaraderie ..... take your time brother , the highest voted moments (when we get to 10 members strong) - enters the raffle for a gem-set of SABBATH!!

thewizard n Jeff , Thank you for joining - not only to make me feel less "crazy" ,, but giving the other contenders a chance to have a drawing / raffle / whatever .... you , Sabbath fans - FN ROCK!

God bless
    Doc is there 10 stories yet?
    Someone start the face off thread
    Daddy wants a new pair of shoes!

They posted an unboxing video of the box set at pledgemusic.com

A detailed review of the box set:
    http://www.withguitars.com/black-sab...k-box-via-bmg/

Quote Originally Posted by southernlord View Post
    In this review it says:

"The first decent remasters (through Essential / Castle, a company that later became the Sanctuary that was subsequently absorbed by Universal) are more than adequate for most purposes. But to compound the problem, all subsequent reissues remastered previous remasters.

At the launch for this event the remastering for this release was explained, and if you’ve ever watched Fake Or Fortune on TV you’ll understand the work involved with tracing the masters back to the original recordings (or as close to as possible, and I’m not sure how helpful Sharon Osborne was). That was a job in itself, and listening to the music here, it was well worth it."

I'm starting to loose track of how many remasters/transfers there are! Can someone clarify the different versions? Has there been a remaster since the 2007 Sanctuary releases? I remember seeing some releases in 2012 and the new Greatest Hits package since the recent sale of the label and I was thinking they have been using the same source, but now I'm wondering. Is this yet another version or are they talking about the work that was done 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    Is this yet another version or are they talking about the work that was done 10 years ago?
    It's a ten year war, isn't it..? :-P