Default What makes Sabbath unique compared to other metal bands?

Before I start, I'm talking strictly about the Ozzy years here.

To start off, I've never been a metal fan. I've always been a more rock/hard rock person, something along the lines of AC/DC, foghat, Zeppelin, and whatnot. Then, I found Sabbath. To put it simply, I fucking loved it. However, I tried to listen to other metal bands and didn't particularly like it. There was something about it that just felt... off. To me, Sabbath can be heavy and dark, yet knows the difference between making a good song and just playing something really fast and intense. My personal favorite Sabbath track (at the moment) would have to be Snowblind. It's perfectly loud, mid-tempo, and doesn't have to rely on being extreme. It's just there.

Thoughts?

Of course the songwriting matters and stands out in comparison with the other bands. In the first two Sabbath albums, you can hear the influence from Led Zeppelin. The uniqueness of Black Sabbath, is mainly on their sound. I also hear Deep Purple and they are concidered as one of the pioneers of Heavy Metal along with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Black Sabbath's thick sound, is a unique element. Competitors, don't have such a heavy sound. As known, Geezer follows the guitar riff so the riff is doubled in the bass frequency section so, you feel the sound a bit bassy. For instance, in Deep Purple, Roger Glover just follows the rhythm and he does accompanies the rhythm with music harmony and in general, they work as a symphonic Orchestra. Every member is having its role while in Sabbath, the guitar role, is doubled. Those are the main reasons which come to mind. If i'll come with more ideas, i will express them.

their song writing process...built around a melodic Iommi riff.. unconventional...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Their songs weren't about girls, ooh baby and what have you (70s Sabbath).
    I like that stuff just fine, but Sabbath were their own thing- they had elements of sci fi and horror but not to campy levels displayed by say Priest or Maiden.
    They spoke of living your life your own way and thinking for yourself.

Geezers lyrics and Ozzys voice and delivery was just perfectly tasteful, Id say.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCubiclePengiun View Post
    Before I start, I'm talking strictly about the Ozzy years here.

To start off, I've never been a metal fan. I've always been a more rock/hard rock person, something along the lines of AC/DC, foghat, Zeppelin, and whatnot. Then, I found Sabbath. To put it simply, I fucking loved it. However, I tried to listen to other metal bands and didn't particularly like it. There was something about it that just felt... off. To me, Sabbath can be heavy and dark, yet knows the difference between making a good song and just playing something really fast and intense. My personal favorite Sabbath track (at the moment) would have to be Snowblind. It's perfectly loud, mid-tempo, and doesn't have to rely on being extreme. It's just there.

Thoughts?
    Interesting post.

I think one of the reasons why you enjoy 70s Sabbath - and apparently not 80s and post 80s - is because even though it's heavy metal, it's not particularly extreme or underground, at least in the 21st century.

It doesn't surprise me at all that your love of rock and hard rock has transmitted over to the first 8 Sabbath albums, especially if you're an AC/DC fan.

Metal is an amazing, unparalleled genre, so hopefully you search past the mainstream metal bands and find something more touching to your heart in genres like doom and perhaps prog.

The Riffs ,The Tone ,The Words and Heaviness & Demonic Appearance to the music ,i'am old enough to tell you nobody was viewed as
    satanic as sabbath in seventies ,people took it serious and thought they were devil worshipers, in 1976 i went to long beach show and my sister seen the devil's face at top of stage and she was scared and waited at car for us ,there were no newspapers,internet, Tv appearances telling anybody they were NOT into the devil like today,i think it was 1981 when OZZY came out and said something on subject ,but in seventies probably circus mag,may have said something ,that is if you bought that issue.
    That's what made them unique, total originators,right from that first rain drop !

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    They were the first and the best
    Correct, they were the first and will always be the best, never to be topped again!

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Metal is an amazing, unparalleled genre, so hopefully you search past the mainstream metal bands and find something more touching to your heart in genres like doom and perhaps prog.
    I say try Pentagram, their 70's material is just great and great doomy hard rock vibe.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Interesting post.

I think one of the reasons why you enjoy 70s Sabbath - and apparently not 80s and post 80s - is because even though it's heavy metal, it's not particularly extreme or underground, at least in the 21st century.

It doesn't surprise me at all that your love of rock and hard rock has transmitted over to the first 8 Sabbath albums, especially if you're an AC/DC fan.

Sorry I've been absent for a few weeks, but I'm here to reply if that means anything. I have found one other band that I like, yet some (particularly the main member) don't consider them metal. That band is Motorhead (no idea how to make that O with the two dots above it on my keyboard).

The riffs and the vocal melodies, obviously.
    The vocal sound, the thick sound of the guitar, the weighty sound of the band.
    The unconventional songwriting/arranging.
    Geezer's fantastic "dark hippie" lyrics.
    Their look and style, both as people and with promo. The covers of the debut and MOR esp.

But most important:
    The jazz-influence groove-your-brains-out rythm section of Geezer & Bill. Both geniuses on their own, together they created magick.

All well said in the above comments, the music that came out of 70's Sabbath is untouchable and pure magic, magic that no other band has had and no other band will ever have an affect on me as Sabbath has had and no band ever will.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

The Black Sabbath entity. I think Iommi once stated he thinks of Black Sabbath as an entity rather than a mere band. Ward at some point in the early 70s liked to believe when all 4 of them played live, that there was a 5th member of Sabbath or something like that...maybe this 5th member is the entity?
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Their is no band like those 4 guys from Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by tsimisde View Post
    . As known, Geezer follows the guitar riff so the riff is doubled in the bass frequency section so, .
    This is the sort of thing people who don't understand music hear someone else say and they adopt it as gospel so they sound smart.

It is not, however, even remotely the truth about Geezer Butler's playing. Geezer is a fantastically complex and textured bassist who lays down all kinds of jazz underneath Iommi.

I believe when people repeat bullshit like that it is what kept Black Sabbath a less respected band for so long because people decided it was true because they heard "Paranoid" and that's all they knew.

Please, just go have a look at a Bass chart for just about any Black Sabbath song.

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    This is the sort of thing people who don't understand music hear someone else say and they adopt it as gospel so they sound smart.

It is not, however, even remotely the truth about Geezer Butler's playing. Geezer is a fantastically complex and textured bassist who lays down all kinds of jazz underneath Iommi.

I believe when people repeat bullshit like that it is what kept Black Sabbath a less respected band for so long because people decided it was true because they heard "Paranoid" and that's all they knew.

Please, just go have a look at a Bass chart for just about any Black Sabbath song.
    totally agree William, Geezer NEVER follows Iommi's riff...!
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore