Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ten Year War

Linda, a comparison of vinyls would be a complete failure in my opinion due to analogue source in question. Even 2 LPs virtually totally identical taken from the same pressing will give you quite substantially different looking files, when trying to digitize and compare them. As you know, that LPs are pressed from physical matrixes, that have a tendency to wear out and since the very beginning you have already a factor, which distorts every basis afterwards. And there are several father & mother matrixes , that are done for every pressing from the original metal matrix.

My personal opinion this is a land of complete speculations. Those who hear every tiny different detail in absolutely identically looking digital files will have a point here, as no two similar files can be achieved from the same pressing! So it's almost impossible to trace the source of mastering from my perspective here and compare any different presses to one another. You can use only ears here and this is not a factor to really measure anything except for tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    OID , you deserve that set .....
    Thanks BTE, I hope to get it On Amazon.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbabbath View Post
    If they were 8-track tapes, this box would be even much more attractive to purchase than it is now. :-)
    I buy everything with the Sabbath stamp on it Linda, I’m a fanatic.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

The article posted by Iron Man is quite interesting. I enjoyed the read.

But let's keep something in mind. And I say this as someone who LOVES my set and with all my heart appreciates Doc buying it for me ...

This is a product. It's going to be hyped. They want to give people who already own something a reason to buy that same something again.

I don't know why ... but sometimes I feel that many people presume audio is any different than anything else. It's marketed. Period.

To me what makes this set are the extras. The Tour Book, Press Promo Cartoon Book and Poster alone would set you back the price of this set if you were to buy them in original form. And they are reproduced beautifully. Add to this the hardcover book, which is absolutely fantastic with amazing picture quality, and having Mint copies of the original UK album covers with inserts, inners, poster for MoR and so forth and you have a fantastic package.

Audio, however, I agree with Doc. Anybody who thinks this approach beats original pressings (or even many analogue repressings) just hears music differently than I do. Detail is important, but feel and frequency extension is every bit as important. Digital is "chopped off" sound, IMO. Doesn't mean it can't be great, but it is different than analogue. And vinyl is an analogue medium best served by analogue mastering.

Andy Pearce is definitely a great engineer. And he understands important factors like not using digital noise reduction, but he worked in digital. We can sugarcoat this any number of ways, but this set is digitally remastered. And, IMO, digitally remastered should be attached to CD; not LP.
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The article posted by Iron Man is quite interesting. I enjoyed the read.

But let's keep something in mind. And I say this as someone who LOVES my set and with all my heart appreciates Doc buying it for me ...

This is a product. It's going to be hyped. They want to give people who already own something a reason to buy that same something again.

I don't know why ... but sometimes I feel that many people presume audio is any different than anything else. It's marketed. Period.

To me what makes this set are the extras. The Tour Book, Press Promo Cartoon Book and Poster alone would set you back the price of this set if you were to buy them in original form. And they are reproduced beautifully. Add to this the hardcover book, which is absolutely fantastic with amazing picture quality, and having Mint copies of the original UK album covers with inserts, inners, poster for MoR and so forth and you have a fantastic package.

Audio, however, I agree with Doc. Anybody who thinks this approach beats original pressings (or even many analogue repressings) just hears music differently than I do. Detail is important, but feel and frequency extension is every bit as important. Digital is "chopped off" sound, IMO. Doesn't mean it can't be great, but it is different than analogue. And vinyl is an analogue medium best served by analogue mastering.

Andy Pearce is definitely a great engineer. And he understands important factors like not using digital noise reduction, but he worked in digital. We can sugarcoat this any number of ways, but this set is digitally remastered. And, IMO, digitally remastered should be attached to CD; not LP.
    Thanks for another great post, Jeff. However, if we talk about limitations of digital audio, we should maybe keep in mind the many limitations of vinyl LPs (NOT analog per se) too. If I understand correctly, the music stored in a vinyl record needs to be compressed and EQed and frequencies cut due to limitations of the format. Thus, the sound of LPs is also necessarily "chopped off" in many ways. Nevertheless, I have experienced, like you and the DOC, that original LPs (and possibly any vinyl record?) tend to sound warmer and more 'alive' than digital copies of the same recording. So I can easily agree with both of you that something is 'missing' from digital recordings that is 'present' on vinyl. Anyway, Jeff, what do you think of Reel-to-Reel vs. vinyl? Some articles I read would imply that an AAA Reel-to-Real should (other things being equal) sound even much less "chopped off" than an AAA vinyl of the same recording.

Also, do you agree or disagree with the Doc that "Digital cleaning Will NOT always show up on measurements" and that digitally identical audio recordings can sound different? And can you confirm or falsify that the TYW Just curious for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBarghest View Post
    Linda, a comparison of vinyls would be a complete failure in my opinion due to analogue source in question. Even 2 LPs virtually totally identical taken from the same pressing will give you quite substantially different looking files, when trying to digitize and compare them. As you know, that LPs are pressed from physical matrixes, that have a tendency to wear out and since the very beginning you have already a factor, which distorts every basis afterwards. And there are several father & mother matrixes , that are done for every pressing from the original metal matrix.

My personal opinion this is a land of complete speculations. Those who hear every tiny different detail in absolutely identically looking digital files will have a point here, as no two similar files can be achieved from the same pressing! So it's almost impossible to trace the source of mastering from my perspective here and compare any different presses to one another. You can use only ears here and this is not a factor to really measure anything except for tastes.
    Thanks for your great post too, Alex. You are of course right. I think my asking for a comparison of the LPs was naive. The reason why I asked nevertheless was that I was (still am) pretty puzzled about the fact that several people still seem to believe that the 2017 vs. the 2012 box are sourced from different, if somewhat similar, masterings, or at least sound different. I simply don't hear those differences on any of the digital files I have checked, plus the huge digital similarities suggest that there hardly COULD be any notable difference. I was just wondering if this contradiction might be due to the fact that the people who purchased the vinyl box have listened to the LPs, while I have only listened to the digital files. But then again, both IRON-MaN and the Doc have confirmed they are referring to the digital files too. So the puzzle persists even for the digital files, regardless of how the vinyl records sound.
    Last edited by Sabbabbath; 12-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I buy everything with the Sabbath stamp on it Linda, I’m a fanatic.
    I am a fanatic too, I just cannot afford to buy it all. :-D

Thanks for your great post too, Alex. You are of course right. I think my asking for a comparison of the LPs was naive. The reason why I asked nevertheless was that I was (still am) pretty puzzled about the fact that several people still seem to believe that the 2017 vs. the 2012 box are sourced from different, if somewhat similar, masterings, or at least sound different. I simply don't hear those differences on any of the digital files I have checked, plus the huge digital similarities suggest that there hardly COULD be any notable difference. I was just wondering if this contradiction might be due to the fact that the people who purchased the vinyl box have listened to the LPs, while I have only listened to the digital files. But then again, both IRON-MaN and the Doc have confirmed they are referring to the digital files too. So the puzzle persists even for the digital files, regardless of how the vinyl records sound.
    I don't think there is debate much on whether or not those new remasters were taken from the very same source , most likely they are (one way or other) but I guess there are many other factors or technologies that could improve them or make them sound better ? The way I think about it , its like listening to the same CD on a cheap sound system vs an expensive Hi Fi quality home theater , its the same source yet a completely different experience ! (not a very accurate resemblance ) , but I guess you get the point ! Andy could have used the same sources for those remasters but whatever process of 'cleaning' them up or using a more advanced technology could've made the difference , also I'm not technically sufficient to understand such digital parameters you've posted previously and how it translates to how it exactly sounds , I mean I do get the basics of it for sure ! but is there more than meets the eye ? I don't know ... I think you and many members here should have joined the launching TYW box set held at regent sounds studios a couple of months back and laid all your questions on Andy , Tom Allom and everyone else that were involved with such project

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-MaN View Post
    I don't think there is debate much on whether or not those new remasters were taken from the very same source , most likely they are (one way or other)
    I didn't claim there was a debate on whether the releases (2012 etc. vs 2017) are from the same SOURCE. Given how similar the recordings are in every important aspect, it would be plain crazy to doubt that they are from the same tape source (and transfer! - even though the article you posted clearly seems to suggest at least a different transfer - which is 100% impossible). What I did claim was that there was a debate on whether they are different MASTERINGS. That's a very different claim, and this is the one on which we disagree, obviously, since you keep referring to the new release as a "new remaster" (e.g. "those new remasters" or "Andy could have used the same sources for those remasters") - which clearly suggests it is a different mastering, and that's what I dispute. :-) I do accept that we have different opinions, I am now just trying to reach a state where we can at least agree on what it is that we disagree about. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-MaN View Post
    I think you and many members here should have joined the launching TYW box set held at regent sounds studios a couple of months back and laid all your questions on Andy , Tom Allom and everyone else that were involved with such project
    Well, that's a very good point - now I honestly wish I would have done that! Anyway, a few months ago, there seemed to be no reason to ask any questions about the mastering used for this release, because all sources I read plainly stated that the Ten Year War release would simply use the mastering of the well-known 2009 Sanctuary releases. Thus, even our beloved webmaster here wrote on <https://www.black-sabbath.com/2017/06/the-ten-year-war-box-set/>: "The mastering work here is the same done for the 2009 Universal Deluxe Edition series by Andy Pearce." And I don't blame Joe because that was the information given to him an others by the people who should know. The hi-res official download version of the TYW release still has the words "(2009 - Remaster)" included in the filenames of every single audio file included. I may be wrong, but based on the sources I have, it seems that the marketing strategy switched to the "new remaster" claim only recently (maybe in order to better correspont to the MQA hype). Thus, the article you posted was from 13th December 2017. Be that as it may, it was only recently that I was first confronted with the claim that the TYW box would include a new mastering. That was around the same time that Alex, Jeff and a few other people convinced me that it actually uses the 2012 mastering. Now I would love to be able to get a clear confirmation or rebuttal from Andy Pearce on whether he did ANY new work for the 2017 release or not. I am sure he would clarify that he didn't, but his words would obviously weigh more than mine.
    Last edited by Sabbabbath; 12-16-2017 at 08:42 AM.

I am a fanatic too, I just cannot afford to buy it all. :-D
    I have gone through times of not buying shoes or new clothes just to buy Sabbath.

Thanks for another great post, Jeff. However, if we talk about limitations of digital audio, we should maybe keep in mind the many limitations of vinyl LPs (NOT analog per se) too. If I understand correctly, the music stored in a vinyl record needs to be compressed and EQed and frequencies due to limitations of the format. Thus, the sound of LPs is also necessarily "chopped off" in many ways. Nevertheless, I have experienced, like you and the DOC, that original LPs (and possibly any vinyl record?) tend to sound warmer and more 'alive' than digital copies of the same recording. So I can easily agree with both of you that something is 'missing' from digital recordings that is 'present' on vinyl. Anyway, Jeff, what do you think of Reel-to-Reel vs. vinyl? Some articles I read would imply that an AAA Reel-to-Real should (other things being equal) sound even much less "chopped off" than an AAA vinyl of the same recording.

Also, do you agree or disagree with the Doc that "Digital cleaning Will NOT always show up on measurements" and that digitally identical audio recordings can sound different? And can you confirm or falsify that the TYW Just curious for your opinion.
    IMO, the degree to which there are inherent "limitations" in terms of vinyl's ability to reproduce music is greatly overstated by some digital enthusiasts. It is perhaps traced to the nonsense the industry used to sell us the superiority of the CD medium. And guess what the result of that medium was?

Many of us bought music we had already purchased; again.

;-)

With respect to your specific points, Linda, I'll just say that no general characterization can be used about vinyl's sonic possibilities or "limitations." Most rock music does not have dynamic range significant enough to require much compression for vinyl mastering, but compression can be used as a "tool" just like anything. This stuff is all a part of the final picture. Kevin Gray's cut of Paranoid for Rhino (2004) was probably as dynamic as I've ever heard the album. The slam was astonishing. It had too much treble for my taste and was not my cup of tea overall, but the point is that I would not doubt if we just use Paranoid as an example, different LP versions could differ by 3-4db in terms of their compression.

Often these things are as much or more about a mastering engineer's sonic goals than vinyl's needs. Vinyl can handle plenty.

Classical music, yes. Having the additional dynamic range can be an advantage. But in my view the notion that most rock music can't be mastered to vinyl without sacrifice is arguably an idea put forth by someone with something to sell in nearly every case. Either that's why you need the CD instead. Or that's why you need the NEW vinyl version instead, because "technology advances." IMO, this is exaggerated gobbledygook.

As for R2R, forget it. It will never be cost effective. Acoustic Sounds has been doing some Classical titles on R2R. Know how much they are? $500 each. And yes that's two zeros after the five. So this is niche market. Vinyl is the most cost effective way for most of us to get pure analogue sound. And I doubt that will change any time soon. Cassettes have made a comeback, but I don't think it will amount to a pimple on vinyl's overall reach if one considers the "used" market on Discogs, eBay, local record shops and so forth ...

In the end, to some extent ... music either moves us or it doesn't. I could listen to Sabbath on a transistor radio and hear the inherent magic. OTOH, I do think for people to act like sound doesn't matter when it comes to music are kidding themselves. As you know, I listen to Sabbath bootlegs of any sound quality; but music IS sound. How could one listening to music NOT care about it? Even bootlegs I don't want futzed with by some amateur who starts using his little software tools without much TLC. And when it comes to albums, I've just realized that (for me) analogue speaks to me. And for me vinyl does the job of conveying that sound more than adequately.
    -WTB

Totally agree vinyl is a much warmer sound that captures the "space" between notes in the studio. Growing up with vinyl, I was never a big fan of the digital CD medium when it eventually took over. CDs may be more convenient, but there's a reason vinyl has made a comeback. And yea, I still remember listening to transistor radios on the beach as a youngster I have a distinct memory of turning up the volume when The Who's Join Together came on the radio one hot Summer day!
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

IMHO, vinyl sound is just a matter of acquired taste. Same as tape cassettes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel.............same as everything else. I'm sure if our grandparents would be alive they would tell how much vinyl sucked versus shellac And their grandparents would say that nothing sounded like a good old wax cylinders, and shellac & vinyls were for wimps.

I'm all up for hi quality sound. No clicks, pops and hiss. I find all those artifacts disgusting and irritating. And this late trend of issuing stuff on vinyl only just pisses me off as you can easily hear how much inferior this stuff to the original digital stuff it's all pressed from. I'm talking not Sabbath releases/reissues, but some new bands releases. Especially having in mind, that there's almost no new equipment left, it's all pressed on machines, that mostly almost 40 years old.

IMHO, vinyl sound is just a matter of acquired taste. Same as tape cassettes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel.............same as everything else. I'm sure if our grandparents would be alive they would tell how much vinyl sucked versus shellac And their grandparents would say that nothing sounded like a good old wax cylinders, and shellac & vinyls were for wimps..
    Heh. Surely true.

I'm all up for hi quality sound. No clicks, pops and hiss. I find all those artifacts disgusting and irritating.
    This I've never really understood. I doubt I come across one out of fifty albums where any kind of noise or clicks are a problem. But then I usually buy at least VG+ vinyl and clean it with an Okki Nokki before playback. "Hiss" is a different matter. As Andy Pearce (rightly, IMO) points out, no technology exists to remove it without damaging the sound. I personally don't mind tape hiss at all. As Neil Young has stated, that is where the magic of music is. It's in there WITH the hiss. That's just how analog tape works. Besides, so many albums from about the early to mid 70s were recorded with Dolby A, which reduced hiss to such minor levels I'm surprised anyone would even be worried about it.

And this late trend of issuing stuff on vinyl only just pisses me off as you can easily hear how much inferior this stuff to the original digital stuff it's all pressed from. I'm talking not Sabbath releases/reissues, but some new bands releases.
    Yeah, I don't listen to many "new" artists, but using the same exact digital source used for a CD and putting it instead on vinyl makes no sense to me. Then again, some new releases (13 and TDYK being perfect examples) have been found to be far more dynamic on vinyl than their CD counterparts. This is, of course, down to the mastering decisions. Perhaps in general vinyl is often treated with a different approach?

Especially having in mind, that there's almost no new equipment left, it's all pressed on machines, that mostly almost 40 years old.
    Some of the very best "machines" in the world are forty or more years old. If anything, I find the newer the equipment the more chance of lower quality, not better. This extends to almost anything whether audio equipment or appliances for that matter. Seems like at one time things were built to last. I'd take a copy of Paranoid mastered on Bernie Grundman's vintage, all tube cutting system over Andy Pearce mastering at a digital workstation any day. Just MO.
    -WTB

Just TBH about one thing in terms of the new box. SONICALLY speaking, only ...

Vol. 4 has had so much treble added that it's not be believed. It sounds really wonky to me and is just too far removed from the album I know and worship. It reminds me a bit of that awful color vinyl version issued last year. Maybe it is the same mastering?

Even things like Tony's right hand screeching during fast chord movements in "Wheels Of Confusion" ("Lost on the wheels of confusion ... ") seem like they've been digitally altered.

Any "warmth" of vinyl isn't going to be heard when mastered like this. I know some people feel parts of Vol. 4 were kind of muddy, but this is like killing a fly with a bazooka.
    -WTB

Banned

this is like killing a fly with a bazooka.
    LOL, just trying to picture that. :-D Thanks for your comments. I just compared the Vol4 TYW (hi-res digital version) vs. the 2012 Japan SACD. Huge difference indeed. I can see why some people like this super-bright thing, but these albums just need to sound darker IMHO.

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

like killing a fly with a bazooka.
    Is that actually a saying/proverb or just something you made up yourself? 'Cause in Norwegian we've got the saying "shooting sparrows with canons", but i've never known an English equivalent.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Is that actually a saying/proverb or just something you made up yourself? 'Cause in Norwegian we've got the saying "shooting sparrows with canons", but i've never known an English equivalent.
    The exact same saying as your Norwegian version exists in German too.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    It's the *American* equivalent. A bazooka is a cannon that has eaten a few cheeseburgers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    It's the *American* equivalent. A bazooka is a cannon that has eaten a few cheeseburgers.
    :-D That's really funny to imagine too! :-)

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

The exact same saying as your Norwegian version exists in German too.
    Didn't know that, but i know it's used in Denmark, so it makes sence.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzptm View Post
    A bazooka is a cannon that has eaten a few cheeseburgers.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

LOL, just trying to picture that. :-D Thanks for your comments. I just compared the Vol4 TYW (hi-res digital version) vs. the 2012 Japan SACD. Huge difference indeed. I can see why some people like this super-bright thing, but these albums just need to sound darker IMHO.
    And definitely Vol. 4 sounds better "darker" and it's in large part because the entire album changes so much. If you brighten up "Wheels Of Confusion" (which is a bit muddy) with treble then you would have to make sure to switch gears for "Tomorrow's Dream," which has totally different production.

I think this version of Vol. 4 sounds like tin. It grates on the ears. I've no idea how anyone could wish to listen to this album in this fashion. And I have to figure Andy Pearce was asked to master it like this, because his 2009 Vol. 4 sounds NOTHING like this.

Vol. 4 has complex production with layers and different textures involved. You just can't open it up this far, or certain parts will tip over into earbleed territory.

Probably the worst of it is how Bill's drums sound. I love the drum production on Vol. 4 but they sound recessed and shrill with this approach.

The original UK LP mastered by George Peckham absolutely slays this. And plenty of other pressings as well. The original US pressing (Warner greenie) has HUGE bass and FAR less top end than this. When they talk about listening to different pressings that is all bullshit if you're going to master like this. No 70s version of Vol. 4 ever sounded a thing like this.
    -WTB

Banned

And definitely Vol. 4 sounds better "darker" and it's in large part because the entire album changes so much. If you brighten up "Wheels Of Confusion" (which is a bit muddy) with treble then you would have to make sure to switch gears for "Tomorrow's Dream," which has totally different production.

I think this version of Vol. 4 sounds like tin. It grates on the ears. I've no idea how anyone could wish to listen to this album in this fashion. And I have to figure Andy Pearce was asked to master it like this, because his 2009 Vol. 4 sounds NOTHING like this.

Vol. 4 has complex production with layers and different textures involved. You just can't open it up this far, or certain parts will tip over into earbleed territory.

Probably the worst of it is how Bill's drums sound. I love the drum production on Vol. 4 but they sound recessed and shrill with this approach.

The original UK LP mastered by George Peckham absolutely slays this. And plenty of other pressings as well. The original US pressing (Warner greenie) has HUGE bass and FAR less top end than this. When they talk about listening to different pressings that is all bullshit if you're going to master like this. No 70s version of Vol. 4 ever sounded a thing like this.
    Another amazing post, Jeff, thank you.

I think my girl might be getting this for me for Christmas, a remark she made.

Banned

I think my girl might be getting this for me for Christmas, a remark she made.
    Nice! Great present!

Nice! Great present!
    Thank you Linda, I'll find out in a couple of days!

Thank you Linda, I'll find out in a couple of days!
    Well it's so expensive, wishing santa brings it is the only chance of getting it.

Please check out this new video from a new band.

https://youtu.be/DcWB8U9HLGs

I didn’t get this wonderful box, but I got something just as nice and a piece I’ve been wanting for a long time, The Black Sabbath Cross Box Set, beautiful addition to my Sabbath collection from my beautiful gal.

I didn’t get this wonderful box, but I got something just as nice and a piece I’ve been wanting for a long time, The Black Sabbath Cross Box Set, beautiful addition to my Sabbath collection from my beautiful gal.
    I wish White Wizard was still on these boards, I know he wanted this as well.

I hope he is well and having a wonderful Christmas.

Congrats, OID!

Sounds like a great Christmas!
    -WTB

Congrats, OID!

Sounds like a great Christmas!
    It is great Jeff, thank you it’s a beautiful set, I’ve wanted this for the longest.

Hope you’ve had a great Christmas as well.

Amazing set!! Enjoy!! , post a pic in "The Listen" ..... Your gal is a good lady (same one I met yes?)

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Amazing set!! Enjoy!! , post a pic in "The Listen" ..... Your gal is a good lady (same one I met yes?)

God Bless
    Thank you Doc, yes the same one you met.

Got my box, through a little negotiating I got the hard to get Signed Shepard Fairey Edition, number 0090-1000.

Got my box, through a little negotiating I got the hard to get Signed Shepard Fairey Edition, number 0090-1000.

Nice! Congrats again!
    -WTB

Nice! Congrats again!
    Thank you Jeff, now all I have to do is get me a turntable, lol!!!

Beautiful coffee table book, for me the priceless quotes are Nick Mason and Frank Zappa, does my heart good to see the Sabb Four get such recognition from these legends.

My my next Sabbath piece is the first 70’s vinyl Box Set I missed out on in time I’ll get it.

This is my most expensive Sabbath purchase to date and well worth it.