Default Which Judas Priest album should I get next?

Okay, I've been into the Priest for years, and have all the classics like British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller etc. I've been listening to them a lot lately and am looking to fill in some of the gaps in my Priest collection.

I currently do not own and have never heard:
    Rocka Rolla
    Sin After Sin
    Point of Entry
    Ram It Down
    Jugulator
    Demolition

Which album should I get next?

Sin after Sin and Point of Entry , essentially . Then , Rocka Rolla .

I've always resisted buying Rocka Rolla mainly due to the fact that the band themselves pretty much ignore it...

Banned

Well Rocka Rolla has few good songs, but the band sounded very very different back then...more like Coverdale era Deep Purple and Priest I'd say...honestly not having that album in your collection doesn't make much difference...

Sin After Sin and Jugulator are both must haves for sure. Point Of Entry only has 2 or 3 good songs (Heading Out To The Highway, Desert Plains and Solar Angels)...

Ram It Down and Demolition are bit of an aquired taste I suppose...I personally love Demolition too, but I can understand why some fans don't...Ram It Down (originally supposed to be the second album of the double album Twin Turbos) is kind of like the heavier bastard brother of Turbo, but much more consistant and yes heavier. Ram It Down and Blood Red Skies are both suberb, the latter being one of Priests finests actually...

Sin After Sin is definitely the best one of those albums.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 06-23-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Point Of Entry or Sin After Sin
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Banned

Undoubtedly Sin After Sin. Not only is it one of Priest's best albums it's one of the best metal albums period!

And seeing your love for Turbo I'd probably choose Ram It Down after that. It's a bit heavy on the cheese but it serves as a perfect medium between the synth happy Turbo and hard hitting Painkiller... It also serves as a Glenn & K.K masterclass in shredding!
    Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 06-23-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: cheese not cheee :)

Sin After Sin.

I happen to really like Rocka Rolla, so I would go for that one after SAS. I think the reason Priest themselves ignore it is because it wasn't so "metallic" like Sad Wings and forward. I think it is actually a high quality album. It's got a lot of great rocking songs. Just don't expect the metal genre defining of albums like Sad Wings and Stained Class.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll get Sin After Sin and Ram It Down, I think.

Are the Tim Owen albums worthy additions?

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys. I'll get Sin After Sin and Ram It Down, I think.

Do you have Unleashed in the East?

Unleashed in the East is a masterpiece and live albums don't get any better.

Next I would get Point of Entry... I consider Point of Entry British Steel 2.

Glenn and KK don't do much guitar shredding on either album. Some of the Point of Entry songs are more unique than British Steel songs.

Rob Halford's Point of Entry vocals are epic.

Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    Do you have Unleashed in the East?

Unleashed in the East is a masterpiece and live albums don't get any better.

Next I would get Point of Entry... I consider Point of Entry British Steel 2.

Glenn and KK don't do much guitar shredding on either album. Some of the Point of Entry songs are more unique than British Steel songs.

Rob Halford's Point of Entry vocals are epic.
    I generally don't listen to live albums much, although I have heard A LOT about Unleashed In The East. Still, I think I'd rather get all the studio albums first and may get Unleashed and Priest... Live for completist reasons later on down the line.

I will definitely get Point of Entry at some stage though. Really loving Sad Wings of Destiny right now. Bought it years ago when I first discovered Priest, but it was so different to their other stuff and I couldn't get into it. Now I'm like "what on earth were you thinking you crazy fool? Sad Wings is where it's at!".

Banned

I generally don't listen to live albums much, although I have heard A LOT about Unleashed In The East. Still, I think I'd rather get all the studio albums first and may get Unleashed and Priest... Live for completist reasons later on down the line.
    Well the story goes not much of Unleashed In The East is actually live so don't read to much into that!

I have couple of shows from that Japanese tour and Rob certainly sounds much worse on those than on the record so it's pretty clear atleast some of the vocals were redone...and I do remember hearing something about the guitars being touched upon as well...

But in any case a true LIVE album it is not.

Banned

Not unless you're into Mindless Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Well the story goes not much of Unleashed In The East is actually live so don't read to much into that!

I have couple of shows from that Japanese tour and Rob certainly sounds much worse on those than on the record so it's pretty clear atleast some of the vocals were redone...and I do remember hearing something about the guitars being touched upon as well...

But in any case a true LIVE album it is not.
    Hmmm... I seem to remember having a conversation with you on this in the past http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...ed-be-thy-Name

I will definitely get Point of Entry at some stage though. Really loving Sad Wings of Destiny right now. Bought it years ago when I first discovered Priest, but it was so different to their other stuff and I couldn't get into it. Now I'm like "what on earth were you thinking you crazy fool? Sad Wings is where it's at!".
    Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin after Sin are killer albums... I like the Unleashed in the East recordings of the songs that are on both albums better.

Unleashed in the East is the first (studio) album produced by Tom Allom (who engineered the first 3 Black Sabbath albums) and engineered by Louis Austin who by far is the best engineer JP worked with.
    Last edited by thewizard; 06-26-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Unleashed in the East is the best album that exists with Judas Priest,and its my favorite live album by any band.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Not unless you're into Mindless Metal.

Hmmm... I seem to remember having a conversation with you on this in the past http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...ed-be-thy-Name

Jugulator is a fantastic album and every Priest fan should give it a go....if for no other reason than Tim's insane vocal preformance.

Ah yes....I did not remember that....

I'd say Jugulator.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Wizard View Post
    I'd say Jugulator.
    Priest without Halford seems like GNR without Axl or Queen without Freddy. I'm sure I'll give Jugulator a go at some stage, but whether or not it'll ever seem like a genuine Priest record to me is doubtful.

I know that may seem like a strange thing to say on a Sabbath board of all places - considering the amount of lead singers BS have had - but to me, Sabbath was one of the only bands I can think of where the lead guitarist was more vital to the overall sound of the band than the lead singer. In Priest, Halford is too important to the overarching sound of the band to be replaced imo.
    Last edited by Towelie; 06-25-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Priest without Halford seems like GNR without Axl or Queen without Freddy. I'm sure I'll give Jugulator a go at some stage, but whether or not it'll ever seem like a genuine Priest record to me is doubtful.

I know that may seem like a strange thing to say on a Sabbath board of all places - considering the amount of lead singers BS have had - but to me, Sabbath was one of the only bands I can think of where the lead guitarist was more vital to the overall sound of the band than the lead singer. In Priest, Halford is too important to the overarching sound of the band to be replaced imo.
    I don't like Jugulator or Demolition at all. Judas Priest could have easily found a much better singer. A lot of people like Tim Owens but to me Tim Owens is too one dimensional... too montonous!!! Tim Owens has zero Creativity and Uniqueness compared to Halford. Also I am not sure if Glenn Tipton and KK Downing play any guitar solos in Jugulator and Demoltion songs and if they did I don't remember any of them.

Judas Priest was a totally different band with Tim Owens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    I don't like Jugulator or Demolition at all. Judas Priest could have easily found a much better singer. A lot of people like Tim Owens but to me Tim Owens is too one dimensional... too montonous!!! Tim Owens has zero Creativity and Uniqueness compared to Halford. Also I am not sure if Glenn Tipton and KK Downing play any guitar solos in Jugulator and Demoltion songs and if they did I don't remember any of them.

Judas Priest was a totally different band with Tim Owens.
    I agree, the most disappointing thing about those albums was that they seemed to abandoned their roots and most of their trademark sound in favour of a thrash/groove/Nu metal sound and it just didn't work for me, not to mention the utterly terrible lyrics and muddled production that went with it.

Tim Owens can sing no doubt, but his voice lacks the character & sense of melody for a band like Priest. Also his Halford like high pitched screams sounded misplaced and forced, particularly on the Jugulator album.

I didnt mind the way he sung the classic songs though, thought he did a particularly good job on them, however, when I saw them live on the Demolition tour in a bar/nightclub type venue(which was sad in itself) he really lacked stage presence and failed in working the audience to help bring the room alive.

You're right about the guitar solo's, they're mostly unmemorable and lack that classiic Glenn & K.K. interplay and lead duelling that usually took the songs on a journey...Instead they opted for Slayer freak out type solo's.

Whenever I put either of those albums on these days I'm doing well if I last 3 or 4 songs.
    Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 06-26-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    the most disappointing thing about those albums was that they seemed to abandoned their roots and most of their trademark sound in favour of a thrash/groove/Nu metal sound and it just didn't work for me, not to mention the utterly terrible lyrics and muddled production that went with it.
    Yes,those two albums contains only junk songs.

Well, I've spent the last few days getting to know Point of Entry. At first I was a little underwhelmed, but it's a definite grower.

First half is a lot stronger than the second half, but Desert Plains, Solar Angels and Heading Out To The Highway are all fantastic tracks and definitely essential listening for any Priest fan and are in heavy rotation on my iPod at the moment.

Yes,Solar Angels is my favorite on that album.

Okay, I've been into the Priest for years, and have all the classics like British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller etc. I've been listening to them a lot lately and am looking to fill in some of the gaps in my Priest collection.

I currently do not own and have never heard:
    Rocka Rolla
    Sin After Sin
    Point of Entry
    Ram It Down
    Jugulator
    Demolition

Which album should I get next?
    I'd rank them like this:

Sin After Sin
    Point of Entry
    Jugulator
    Rocka Rolla
    Ram It Down
    Demolition

Id rank them like this:

Sin After Sin
    Point of Entry
    Rocka Rolla
    Ram It Down
    Jugulator
    Demolition

There was only one Judas Priest album and that has to be the 1978 classic Stained Class - great memories of youth!