Default Mythology - Drug fine for pop group

Two similar but slightly different newspaper articles about the Mythology drug bust from two different editions of The Birmingham Evening Mail. I believe the first is from May 27, 1968 the day the band was in court. They were apparently fined 50 pounds each.

The second is from 41 days later, July 7, 1968. Although it is not as legible you can read that the band were fined 15 pounds each.

Except for the opening paragraph the body of the articles looks to be identical. I wonder if their fine was decreased or whether one of the articles made a mistake.

This bust was the reason Mythology broke up, as the bands gigs dried up immediately. Tony and Bill headed back to Birmingham and eventually hooked up with Ozzy and Geezer a month later.

Brother Roller ..... love these articles you put up ,,,, typo is my guess

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Then again, Polka Tulk Blues Band or whatever they actually called themselves in the beginning, before Earth, did benefit from Iommi's booking contacts and Mythologys fan-base in northern England to get a kickstart, so it actually turned into something very good in the end...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Thanks Doc, most likely a typo or mis-heard by whoever reported it and then later corrected. Very easy to mis-hear 15 as 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Then again, Polka Tulk Blues Band or whatever they actually called themselves in the beginning, before Earth, did benefit from Iommi's booking contacts and Mythologys fan-base in northern England to get a kickstart, so it actually turned into something very good in the end...
    Even Neil Marshall, the bass player in Mythology, is glad they broke up and he didn't stay with them so that Black Sabbath could exist:

http://www.tonyiommifantastic.com/ne...mythology.html

A conversion of those fees shows what they would have been fined in 2017 pounds. I believe they were fined 15 pounds, which when looking at the conversion makes sense.

£15 (1968) = £245.10 (2017)
    £50 (1968) = £816.98 (2017)

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    Even Neil Marshall, the bass player in Mythology, is glad they broke up and he didn't stay with them so that Black Sabbath could exist:

http://www.tonyiommifantastic.com/ne...mythology.html
    Thanx for posting, you eternal fountain of Sabbath rarities. Didn't know Mythology continued later and coexisted with Earth/Sabbath...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Banned

Love this stuff Roller! Another incredible find!

Mistake is easy. Imagine relaying the story over a bad phone connection.

"How much were the lads fined?"
    "50 quid each."
    "15 quid? Not all that bad."
    "I said 50 quid."
    "That's right. 15 quid. That's what I've got here."
    "All right then. Wouldn't want to accidentally confuse 15 with 50."
    "Yes, those numbers sound very much alike. Almost the same. 50, 15. Especially if one's regional accent swallows the final 'n' in 'fifteen'."
    "Indeed. Well, that's the story. Cheers!"
    "Cheers!"

Kind of like this classic bit:

Smokin the reefers!

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Thanx for posting, you eternal fountain of Sabbath rarities. Didn't know Mythology continued later and coexisted with Earth/Sabbath...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Love this stuff Roller! Another incredible find!
    Glad you guys liked it. I believe I first heard about this article in 1982 when I got the Chris Welch book. Great to finally see it.

cool stuff ,now i understand why it was Tony who coughed to start of Sweet Leaf he had all rights to do so !! lol
    ps.have you ever played that cough backwards ,you hear tony cough one time clearly .
    nice find roller ,wtf you find article ?

What's crazy about this is that I believe it ended up playing a role in the band not being able to tour Japan until many years later. Japan had a strict policy that nobody could be allowed entry who had any criminal record.

Of course, maybe it was solely Ozzy's criminal record which was the issue?
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB