Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Super Moderator TJSwoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    196

    Default Twenty years ago (Dec 5, 1997)

    The Reunion live album was recorded at the Birmingham NEC. Twenty years before that, Ozzy and Bill were still in Sabbath the first time around. Is this a great coma we're in, or what?! I wrote this on Facebook during my lunch earlier:

    Tonight (maybe less than an hour, GMT) marks the 20th anniversary of the second of two reunion shows by Black Sabbath's original lineup in Birmingham, England. I remember reading reviews posted to Joe's mailing list the first night, 12-4, and they were all positive. The same people then went to the second show, and exploded with "HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME!!"

    Both nights were taped, but the show that started twenty years ago, right around this time, was so good that it was used exclusively (AFAIK) for a live album. I had a bootleg of the show, and when the official release came out I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was basically an official bootleg; I could detect almost nothing in the way of studio cheating. The only change I could hear, in fact, was taking out Ozzy's vocal track when he talked over Tony Iommi's "Orchid" instrumental. Definitely a good change to make.

  2. #2
    mikesline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Tony Iommi told me about the up coming shows in birmingham that they were planning on recording and make an album of it ,he told me this about two weeks before the shows backstage after the devore,cal -blockbuster pavilion gig,then he walked away holding his guitar in the dark,dusty parking lot to his car -all by himself.

  3. #3
    zzzptm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Wow, 20 years since...

    Wow...

  4. #4
    OzzyIsDio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath
    Posts
    10,189

    Default

    Time flies, I attended the 97 reunion show in Jersey, I think I still have the shirts.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
    The Reunion live album was recorded at the Birmingham NEC. Twenty years before that, Ozzy and Bill were still in Sabbath the first time around.
    On December 5, 1977 Ozzy wasn't actually in Sabbath anymore, they had replaced him with Dave Walker! It was only later that he asked to come back and they accepted. But I understand your point, I just thought it was funny that Ozzy wasn't in the group 20 years earlier on that date.

  6. #6

    Default

    I love that album and I kick myself in the ass for not going to see the reunion live. Why not? Because they were playing huge outdoor festivals and I didn't want to deal with that. So to this day, I never saw the original four together. I did go to the 13 tour though.
    "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

  7. #7

    Default

    However I think the two studio tracks were totally useless.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    On December 5, 1977 Ozzy wasn't actually in Sabbath anymore, they had replaced him with Dave Walker!
    I was going to mention that myself. I've never seen the original Sabbath lineup live, only Ozzy solo (3 times) and BS twice in the 80's (with Ian Gillan and Ray Gillen). I do have the Reunion album though.

    Ted

  9. #9
    OzzyIsDio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath
    Posts
    10,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    However I think the two studio tracks were totally useless.
    I love those studio tracks, especially Selling My Soul.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    However I think the two studio tracks were totally useless.
    I thought "Psycho Man" was musically really good.

    Lyrically it was another matter. I assume Ozzy penned those lyrics. Anybody know for sure?

    "Selling My Soul" was decent, but if Bill couldn't do what they wanted they should have dropped it. Sabbath albums shouldn't have drum machine; period.
    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
    -WTB

  11. #11
    axeman_12656's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pikeville, KY
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    However I think the two studio tracks were totally useless.
    I completely disagree. Psycho Man has some of the meanest riffs in it. Completely brutal. And Selling my Soul is so simple but beautiful. Again another mean riff. And the solo reminds me of Snowblind.

    Honestly i think a lot of folks shit on these songs simply because Geezer was not a part of writing them and Ozzy did the lyrics.
    Last edited by axeman_12656; 12-07-2017 at 08:20 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    I completely disagree. Psycho Man has some of the meanest riffs in it. Completely brutal. And Selling my Soul is so simple but beautiful. Again another mean riff. And the solo reminds me of Snowblind.

    Honestly i think a lot of folks shit on these songs simply because Geezer was not a part of writing them and Ozzy did the lyrics.
    2 absolutely fantastic tracks ......

  13. #13
    OzzyIsDio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath
    Posts
    10,189

    Default

    I got to see the original Sabs.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

  14. #14
    Drago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    I completely disagree. Psycho Man has some of the meanest riffs in it. Completely brutal. And Selling my Soul is so simple but beautiful. Again another mean riff. And the solo reminds me of Snowblind.

    Honestly i think a lot of folks shit on these songs simply because Geezer was not a part of writing them and Ozzy did the lyrics.
    Perfectly said Axeman!!! I couldn't agree more. The songs are credited to just Tony and Ozzy and no one gave them a fair chance.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •