Default The Vinyl Guide Episode 83: Black Sabbath & Jim Simpson Documentary

Radio documentary and interview with Jim Simpson also talking about early Sabbath. Except for a bit at the beginning, the interview starts at about 11 minutes and the Sabbath part of the story starts around 32 minutes

http://www.thevinylguide.com/episode...g-bear-simpson
    Last edited by Rollerjoint; 12-25-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks for posting this Roller, Cheers.
    We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Thanks for posting this great radio interview Roller, I wonder what evening sounds like?

It’d be great if someone dug up that acetate with the three songs mentioned on there, Song For Jim, Evening, Blue Suede Shoes.

I love it when Jim says Black Sabbath Made Zeppelin sound like a kindergarten house band.

I like how Jim praises that first album, he’s so right that first album is very special, album cover, music and all.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-26-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

I like how Jim praises that first album, he’s so right that first album is very special, album cover, music and all.
    Out of his praises it would be great to get a hold on the original "demo" recording of the album too.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Out of his praises it would be great to get a hold on the original "demo" recording of the album too.
    That would be out of this world, anything from Sabbath of old.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

I wonder what evening sounds like?
    Do a search for Jimmy Rushing Evenin' on youtube. He recorded the song multiple times so there are a few different versions.

It’d be great if someone dug up that acetate with the three songs mentioned on there, Song For Jim, Evening, Blue Suede Shoes.
    He mentions there was possibly a fourth song that he couldn't remember the name of too! From his memory, these were the 4 songs recorded at the first recording session.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Rollerjoint; 12-26-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerjoint View Post
    Do a search for Jimmy Rushing Evenin' on youtube. He recorded the song multiple times so there are a few different versions.

He mentions there was possibly a fourth song that he couldn't remember the name of too! From his memory, these were the 4 songs recorded at the first recording session.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!
    Roller this is great stuff you post on here, I will check out Jimmy Rushing.

Would love to know what that fourth song is, another interesting fact I learned from Jim today is The Rebel is not a Norman Haines Song, I always thought it was, it’s always being credited to him.

interesting fact I learned from Jim today is The Rebel is not a Norman Haines Song, I always thought it was, it’s always being credited to him.
    On the back cover of Mott the Hoople's Two Miles From Heaven CD the credits for The Rebel are for Cyril & Dora Ward (Charles Ward). You can hear Mott's 1971 demo of the song on youtube.

Cool Roller, it's listed in it's full name If Your Heart Lay With The Rebel (would you cheer the underdog)

I will look that up on youtube, so it's a song that was recorded by someone already, I never heard of those people credited on the back.

Here is is the video, I never knew this song was done before Sabbath.

Here is the Jimmy Rushing Evenin’

Thanks for posting those OID. But Jim Simpson didn't really answer the question we all wanted an answer to. He mentions Song for Jim but no details on who besides him has a copy and if it will ever see the light of day. I blame the interviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    Thanks for posting those OID. But Jim Simpson didn't really answer the question we all wanted an answer to. He mentions Song for Jim but no details on who besides him has a copy and if it will ever see the light of day. I blame the interviewer.
    I know, that does suck, I enjoyed the interview though and finding out thanks to Roller that another band besides Sabbath recorded The Rebel, I googled the peoples names who The Rebel is credited too, but couldn't find anything.

Was a cool interview and I also did not know about the Mott the Hoople version of The Rebel. Came through again Roller, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSabbath View Post
    Great thread I enjoyed it!
    Old Sabbath history is always great.