Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Upgrading Forum Software

Some time ago I posted a thread where I talked about switching forum software completely to something new (Discourse). I'm going to have to do something along these lines soon. I have two choices here:

1) Change to Discourse, which I like, and is free.

2) Upgrade to the current version of vBulletin - but there's a cost with that.

The reason I'm going to have to do something is security. This version of vB isn't sold or maintained anymore, and if anyone remembers the time I got broken into years ago.. I don't want to replicate that. I'm gonna need to upgrade all the things like PHP and whatnot, but I'll need to upgrade this software at the same time.

Upgrading to Discourse would be a MAJOR hassle, not all of which I fully have my head around. The end result would be awesome, but the path to get there would be a nightmare.

If I go to current version of vBulletin, there's a cost for that. The software itself would be $199, and like another 20-30 on top of it to buy a skin that will make it look mostly like what we have here now. If I chose #2, I'd definitely need help paying for it.

I'm throwing this out there to see what people think. If I go with #2 it would mean the forums would carry on with upgraded software pretty close to what we have now, but I'd for sure need to get help paying for it.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Some time ago I posted a thread where I talked about switching forum software completely to something new (Discourse). I'm going to have to do something along these lines soon. I have two choices here:

1) Change to Discourse, which I like, and is free.

2) Upgrade to the current version of vBulletin - but there's a cost with that.

The reason I'm going to have to do something is security. This version of vB isn't sold or maintained anymore, and if anyone remembers the time I got broken into years ago.. I don't want to replicate that. I'm gonna need to upgrade all the things like PHP and whatnot, but I'll need to upgrade this software at the same time.

Upgrading to Discourse would be a MAJOR hassle, not all of which I fully have my head around. The end result would be awesome, but the path to get there would be a nightmare.

If I go to current version of vBulletin, there's a cost for that. The software itself would be $199, and like another 20-30 on top of it to buy a skin that will make it look mostly like what we have here now. If I chose #2, I'd definitely need help paying for it.

I'm throwing this out there to see what people think. If I go with #2 it would mean the forums would carry on with upgraded software pretty close to what we have now, but I'd for sure need to get help paying for it.
    I’ll donate some money Joe if you decide to go that route.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

Joe Siegler (07-26-2018)

Starting to look into vB5 and what it does. Several of the things that I've hacked into the software over the years are now in there by default. I *REALLY* like what it does with Youtube videos. Check this out over at the support board.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ing-we-will-go

It also has "likes" built in. This software we use now has a hacked version of "Thanks".

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Thank you Joe for providing this great site, which without you and Damian this place wouldn’t be possible or exist, it’s the least I can do for my favorite band and site.

Thank you!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Starting to look into vB5 and what it does. Several of the things that I've hacked into the software over the years are now in there by default. I *REALLY* like what it does with Youtube videos. Check this out over at the support board.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ing-we-will-go

It also has "likes" built in. This software we use now has a hacked version of "Thanks".
    Joe just an update, Donation sent today.

Thanks again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

Joe Siegler (07-26-2018)

Thanks for your support, OID!!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Thanks for your support, OID!!
    Thank you Damian, for all your hard work and in keeping the forum in shape!

The amount of feedback is overwhelming.

The amount of feedback is overwhelming.
    I know Joe, you’d think people on here would be jumping to help out, to keep this great forum going and upgraded.

Sad, very sad.

Joe I’ll let Doc know, he probably isn’t aware of this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Joe I’ll let Doc know, he probably isn’t aware of this yet.
    Doc has been notified, I’m sure he’ll let Ronn know as well.

Joe , D .... donation in the mail ..... BSO > than all others ,,,, BOOOOOOOOM!

What would be the biggest change with the new software?

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    What would be the biggest change with the new software?
    Good question Ronn.

Joe when will the new changes begin and will it affect anything?

Can't answer how it would "affect" anything, since I don't know what you're thinking of when you ask that.

It's a newer version of the same software. Some things will be cooler. Most won't change. The biggest change will probably be visual.

Also, I've had a total of two donations for this (would cover about 60% of the cost).
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 08-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Can't answer how it would "affect" anything, since I don't know what you're thinking of when you ask that.

It's a newer version of the same software. Some things will be cooler. Most won't change. The biggest change will probably be visual.

Also, I've had a total of two donations for this (would cover about 60% of the cost).
    Thanks for the update Joe, I was hoping more people would donate.

Attn: forum members please realize how important this forum is and take a little time to donate to help out with the upgrade of this forum, even if it’s only $5.00, if every person were to donate a little it would add up.

Please do so for being able to access information on our favorite band and also to be able to discuss our views on our band with other members on here, with which it would not be possible without this forum.

I ask you please in all humbleness and love of Black Sabbath.

Sincerely yours,
    -OzzyIsDio

Joe or Damian, I think there seems to be a problem currently on the forum, I lost all the new posts that I hadn't read when I logged on this morning, only the latest two were showing and when I clicked on the recent activity button it would only show 4 threads and when I'd click on the more activity button it wouldn't show any.

Also I notice that there have been a lot of spammers logged on recently, currently there are 7 logged on that have been continuously logged on since yesterday.

Well, I finally went ahead and bought the forum software upgrade. My delay had one side benefit. The people that made this software offered it at 50% off for a Black Friday sale, so I jumped on that.

Now I just have to find the time to implement it. ha. :D

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Siegler For This Useful Post:

70sOzzyBlackSabbah! (12-04-2018), OzzyIsDio (12-03-2018)

Well, I finally went ahead and bought the forum software upgrade. My delay had one side benefit. The people that made this software offered it at 50% off for a Black Friday sale, so I jumped on that.

Now I just have to find the time to implement it. ha. :D
    Thank you Joe.

Hey Joe, sorry to do this here but I tried sending PMs to you and not sure if you received them or not, so I'll ask here since you replied here previously...so...is it possible to get my username fixed? It was meant to be 70sOzzyBlackSabbath!, but I was so eager to join this community I didn't even realize there was a typo until it was too late...I'd appreciate it if you can do something about it and if not, that's fine too :]
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    Hey Joe, sorry to do this here but I tried sending PMs to you and not sure if you received them or not, so I'll ask here since you replied here previously...so...is it possible to get my username fixed? It was meant to be 70sOzzyBlackSabbath!, but I was so eager to join this community I didn't even realize there was a typo until it was too late...I'd appreciate it if you can do something about it and if not, that's fine too :]
    70'sOzzyBlackSabbath!, drop Damian a PM he's our Super Moderator, he's on here more often and will get your PM and fix that for you.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

70sOzzyBlackSabbah! (12-15-2018)

I shall attempt that now, OID. Thanks for advice!

Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    I shall attempt that now, OID. Thanks for advice!
    Glad I could help brother, Damian always tries to help you out.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

70sOzzyBlackSabbah! (12-16-2018)

No prob bro

I go to current version of vBulletin, there's a cost for that