Thread: Is One Too Old?

Default Is One Too Old?

I have a question for everyone on here, is one too old to wear a denim jacket with patches of their favorite bands, that had an influence on your formative years and making you who you are today?

Some say after a certain age one shouldn’t wear rock t-shirts of their favorite bands, but I see it all the time, I see 60 and 70 year olds wearing Beatles and Stones t-shirts. Is this any different than wearing a denim jacket with patches of your favorite and meaningful bands that you cherish?

I would like your opinions on the matter and when does one become too old for anything that he enjoys and likes doing that doesn’t fit society’s liking or norm?

Please feel free to discuss.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Sure one can wear it ,,,, support what you love ...

Now for me , I wouldn't , but I never had before ...

God Bless my brother , good thread question!

I would say as far as rock T-shirts there is no age limit. I'm 58 and I still wear a denim jacket, no patches though. I believe as long as someone is comfortable with it, let your freak flag fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Thank you for your thoughts on this Doc, much appreciated.

You can compare it to people supporting the teams they love, wearing the team jackets and jerseys, caps and so forth, which I never got into sports, music was always my love and passion.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts on this Doc, much appreciated.

You can compare it to people supporting the teams they love, wearing the team jackets and jerseys, caps and so forth, which I never got into sports, music was always my love and passion.
    Something I forgot to add this morning Doc, the t-shirts I still wear yes, not the denim jacket with the patches, as I feel I’m too old for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    You're never too old for anything, really. If you wanna do it, do it.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this Ala, I agree with you.

Some say after a certain age one shouldn’t wear rock t-shirts of their favorite bands, but I see it all the time, I see 60 and 70 year olds wearing Beatles and Stones t-shirts.
    I’m 45 and I also wear Beatles and Stones shirts. Actually I have a Sabbath shirt on right now as I type this, the one I bought at the Helsinki gig, The End tour, 2016.

I like to give a musical statement sometimes, wearing a certain shirt. Otherwise I don’t look like a rock or heavy metal fan at all - no piercing, no tattoos, no long hair or anything like that. If I pass you on the sidewalk, you never give me another look. The averagest of the average Joes in the world. The band shirts are the clue I give people, that there just might be something rebellious underneath this boring looking dude’s skin.

Hello everyone, by the way. I’m new in this forum, thanks for having me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I’m 45 and I also wear Beatles and Stones shirts. Actually I have a Sabbath shirt on right now as I type this, the one I bought at the Helsinki gig, The End tour, 2016.

I like to give a musical statement sometimes, wearing a certain shirt. Otherwise I don’t look like a rock or heavy metal fan at all - no piercing, no tattoos, no long hair or anything like that. If I pass you on the sidewalk, you never give me another look. The averagest of the average Joes in the world. The band shirts are the clue I give people, that there just might be something rebellious underneath this boring looking dude’s skin.

Hello everyone, by the way. I’m new in this forum, thanks for having me!
    Thank you for your input, you sound like me lol..

What’s your opinion concerning the patches?

Welcome to the forum Ville.

Thanks.

Patches, well... This takes me down the memory lane, all the way back to the eighties. I used to have a denim jacket, had it for years. In the back there was a big AC/DC patch (I loved and still love Bon Scott, my biggest hero ever) and there was also smaller ones - Sabbath, Zeppelin, Motörhead etc. In the front I had dozens of pins or what you call them - these round, 1-2 inches wide of things carrying names and logos of my favourite bands.

Nowadays jackets like that seem to be very rare, and whenever I see one I feel delighted and think of my youth. The torch has passed on! Wonder where my patched jacket is... Could be in my mother’s basement. I should try and look it up sometimes. Not that it would fit me anymore... I could give it to my son though.

So, I don’t think anyone is too old to wear a jacket like that, but I’m definitely too fat to wear mine!
    Last edited by Ville; 10-06-2018 at 10:25 AM.

I still have mine some ofthe patches I made myself in high school in graphic arts class, as far as wearing it now I don’t know.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-06-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo

Wear it, or have someone else wear it.
    People seemed to be content
    Fifty dollars paid the rent
    Freaks were in the circus tent
    Those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Wear it, or have someone else wear it.
    I have two a denim vest and a denim jacket both with patches.

If it's cold, why not?
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LouiST For This Useful Post:

Wheels Of Confusion (11-20-2018)

For the most part these days I try and avoid wearing any clothing that has logos or script etc on them.

No, I don't wear the shirts I did as a teenager anymore.
    I do have and wear some band/pop culture shirts but they need to pass a taste test.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    For the most part these days I try and avoid wearing any clothing that has logos or script etc on them.

No, I don't wear the shirts I did as a teenager anymore.
    I do have and wear some band/pop culture shirts but they need to pass a taste test.

I
    That's good to know Wheels, I only wear Black Sabbath T-shirts when I do wear a band T-shirt.

I am acting it now. I cannot wait for the whole festive season to be over. The kids are getting on with their own things. I have had my sport, Thankfully. I am getting a touch more miserable and old.

I'm nearly 30 and I wear metal shirts and my patch jacket all the time. Fuck the haters.
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

30 is nice and young. When i wear football shirts i get more grief than when i wear my metal tops. Most people brag about what concerts they have been to of whatever band top i have on.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
    I'm nearly 30 and I wear metal shirts and my patch jacket all the time. Fuck the haters.
    Wear them with pride Buffalo Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSabbath View Post
    30 is nice and young. When i wear football shirts i get more grief than when i wear my metal tops. Most people brag about what concerts they have been to of whatever band top i have on.
    Why would you get grief for wearing Football jerseys?
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-28-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Typo

22. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

CraigSabbath (12-28-2018)

When you wear a football top. Arsenal and Rangers for me. Tottenham and Celtic fans for a start are likely to say something bad to me. As i have got older i wear mine a lot less. As a kid they were never off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSabbath View Post
    When you wear a football top. Arsenal and Rangers for me. Tottenham and Celtic fans for a start are likely to say something bad to me. As i have got older i wear mine a lot less. As a kid they were never off my back.
    That sucks CraigSabbath, sports fans are sometimes fanatical in a bad way.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

CraigSabbath (12-29-2018)

It's mostly older people I see wearing denim with patches at gigs these days. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I wear band t-shirts all the time when I'm not at work, mostly Hawkwind. So does Dave Brock and he's 77!

>>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
    SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
    YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
    YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    It's mostly older people I see wearing denim with patches at gigs these days. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I wear band t-shirts all the time when I'm not at work, mostly Hawkwind. So does Dave Brock and he's 77!

Thanks for responding Ady, I wear my band t-shirts all the time, basically just Sabbath and when I do, I always get compliments, from both young and old.

I'm 53 and my hair is snow-white and short, to fit U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary standards (I am second-in-command of my unit).

My closet is filled with band tee shirts.

I don't give a shit who likes it and who doesn't.
    He is not here. He has risen!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DiosSword For This Useful Post:

70sOzzyBlackSabbah! (05-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I'm 53 and my hair is snow-white and short, to fit U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary standards (I am second-in-command of my unit).

My closet is filled with band tee shirts.

That's the spirit!
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

While I don't care who doesn't like it, I do appreciate those that do like it and it makes me happy, especially when it's the young people that know Sabbath and go out of their way to compliment me on my Sabbath T-shirt I'm wearing at that moment, it puts a smile on my face.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 05-26-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Typo

While I don't care who doesn't like it, I do appreciate those that do like and it makes me happy, especially when it's the young people that know Sabbath and go out of their way to compliment me on my Sabbath T-shirt I'm wearing at that moment, it puts a smile on my face.
    Nicely said.

While I don't care who doesn't like it, I do appreciate those that do like and it makes me happy, especially when it's the young people that know Sabbath and go out of their way to compliment me on my Sabbath T-shirt I'm wearing at that moment, it puts a smile on my face.
    That's awesome! Glad you started to feel better about this since making this thread!

I have 3 Sabbath t-shirts myself, it gives me life anytime I get a compliment on one of them! My favorite one is the Sabotage one, so that I can show Ozzy Tony Geezer and Bill to anyone curious about them :]
    Last edited by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah!; 05-25-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Nicely said.
    Thank you DiosSword.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    That's awesome! Glad you started to feel better about this since making this thread!

I have 3 Sabbath t-shirts myself, it gives me life anytime I get a compliment on one of them! My favorite one is the Sabotage one, so that I can show Ozzy Tony Geezer and Bill to anyone curious about them :]
    I always felt good about wearing my Sabbath T-shirts, or any band T-shirt that I love, my question was more of wearing the battle jacket as they call them with the band patches on them.

I have so many Sabbath shirts, I've lost count, just bought two more really cool ones off the Ozzfest site on eBay.

I always felt good about wearing my Sabbath T-shirts, or any band T-shirt that I love, my question was more of wearing the battle jacket as they call them with the band patches on them.

I have so many Sabbath shirts, I've lost count, just bought two more really cool ones off the Ozzfest site on eBay.
    Thanks for clarifying...to answer that...I don't think it should matter too much what you wear, if it makes you happy wear that battle jacket!

One day I might catch up to you in terms of Sabbath tees Right now I have the one from Hot Topic it's reminiscent of Master of Reality but doesn't say Master of Reality on it, one that's the cover of the debut album Black Sabbath, and my favorite one, the Sabotage one!

It's funny too, because today while wearing my Black Sabbath debut album tee, I came across a guy who was wearing a Vol. 4 t-shirt, I complimented him on his tee and he noticed mine and thanked me and complimented me on mine :D

I'm in my 60s' and still wear band T shirts. Don't own a denim jacket but I see no reason NOT to wear one.

I used to have a "battle jacket" but I, um, "outgrew" it.

I think it finally fell apart some years ago through a couple of decades of live gigs, having goodness knows what spilt on it (including being pissed on from the balcony of the 1992 Sabbath/Danzig gig in Chicago!) and launderings to get said nasty substances out of it.

I used to have a "battle jacket" but I, um, "outgrew" it.

I think it finally fell apart some years ago through a couple of decades of live gigs, having goodness knows what spilt on it (including being pissed on from the balcony of the 1992 Sabbath/Danzig gig in Chicago!) and launderings to get said nasty substances out of it.
    I still have both of mine, one split down the seems on the back and I had to sew it back up myself.

The Battle jacket I feel like I outgrew them, got a little too old for them, I'm 48 going on 49, the band T-shirts I still wear them all the time, just bought a few more Sabbath shirts, that I love wearing and displaying my love of Sabbath.