Default Madison Square Garden, NYC - December 6, 1976

42 years ago tonight, Sabbath's second appearance at Madison Square Garden in New York City was another 20,000 seat sell out, with Ted Nugent as the opening act. Here are some pictures from the night.

The promoter took the band out after the show for an after party / Ozzy's birthday party at the Time-Life Building. After a few drinks Ozzy tore Bill's shirt off and Bill responded by tearing Ozzy's sweater.

Ozzy acting up at the after party. First shot is with actress Sylvia Miles.

Some ticket stubs, including fan art on the back of one, a review from Billboard magazine and a photo taken in the afternoon before the show or the following morning at the band's hotel, the Waldorf-Astoria with David Tangye, Ozzy, Geezer and Spock Wall.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rollerjoint For This Useful Post:

70sOzzyBlackSabbah! (12-06-2018)

That's an awesome post! Thanks for sharing
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

I was at that show, second time I saw Sabbath at MSG. The first one was my very first concert ever. Here's my Sabbath story if you haven't read it in "The Listen":

I was 10 years old when S/T came out. I had older brothers and was exposed to Sabbath at an early age. After listening to Top 40 AM radio in the car I was intrigued with what these guys were doing, a real WTF moment. This was probably the first mainly "riff based" music I delved into and really dug that the bass and the drums were so out front in the recording. Early on my favorite song was probably Warning. I fell in love with the solo in the middle where the bass kinda carried the melody. I used to push the balance fully to one side and listen to the bass part alone. Man that was cool.

My brothers continued buying albums and my love for this band grew. Master of reality was another WTF moment. Starting with Tony's cough and the doomy sound of this album just blew me away. Probably why this is still my favorite Sabbath album to this day.

After several more albums (and 8-track tapes) it was 1975 and Sabbath was coming to MSG. My brothers were going and they told my mom they'd keep an eye on me. I WAS PSYCHED! So at 15 years old I'm riding the train from Bridgeport CT to NYC to see my first concert. As we made our way toward NYC more and more passengers would get on at every stop and it seemed like everyone was going to see Black Sabbath. After a while the cars were so crowded people were literally laying in the luggage racks. I felt bad for the conductor as he weaved his way through a pot smoke filled car trying to check tickets. Talk about a wild ride.

We arrived at Grand Central Station and it was a short walk to MSG. We got to MSG and outside was a guy literally being dragged in by two buddies because he was so wasted. Another WTF moment. We got to our seats and I was just in awe of the sights and sounds. This many people coming to see Black Sabbath? WOW!

Aerosmith was the opener and I was very familiar with them. So I thought this should be pretty cool. For some reason Joe Perry's guitar was turned WAY down to the point you could hardly hear it. I thought, wow, that sucked. I thought Sabbath has got to sound better than that. Between bands I hit the bathroom. As I walk in here's a guy hunched over swinging from side to side saying "pot, speed, ludes, acid". Selling out in the open like that? Another WTF moment. So I made my way back to my seat.

Then the lights went down again and the crowd erupted. I couldn't believe it, I was going to see my favorite band. And there they were on stage as I hooted and hollered and applauded. Holy shit they're playing Hole in the Sky and it sounded great... and LOUD! I was so mesmerized that I just sat and listened attentively and tapped my foot and nodded my head to each song as the night unfolded. Got a little scary when someone threw an M-80 from the upper deck down in our area, but that wasn't going to ruin my night. The set list was awesome with all albums being represented. One of the best nights of my life up to that point.

When the show was over I was still in awe over what I had just seen. Back then with no internet and no MTV it was rare to see your heroes in a live setting outside of Don Kirshners or Midnight Special. I had seen something totally amazing and I think about it often to this day. The train ride home was uneventful and as I climbed in bed the extreme ringing in my ears reminded me of the incredible night I just had.

^^ That's an incredible story! Reminds me of my live experiences with Three Days Grace in 2011 and Black Sabbath in 2016 :]

Great stuff ROLLER , as usual .... from a good man!

@Turch , got to love "The Listen" reference .... your story did well in that contest!

God Bless Sabbath maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    Great stuff ROLLER , as usual .... from a good man!

@Turch , got to love "The Listen" reference .... your story did well in that contest!

God Bless Sabbath maniacs
    Hey Doc, how have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    I was at that show, second time I saw Sabbath at MSG. The first one was my very first concert ever.
    Thanks turch for posting your recollection here, great story!

As mentioned in the article, Frank Zappa was the MC and I think was actually scheduled to play with the band on at least some songs. For whatever reason, it didn't happen, but he did attend the after party. Here he is with Geezer.

and a color shot of the guys and crew at the hotel