Post The First Black Sabbath Album Songs In Order

Which came first? I've heard both from different band members that certain songs came in certain orders. There is a video online of Geezer Butler saying that Wicked World was the first Black Sabbath song written, then there is a video of Tony saying that Black Sabbath was the first song ever written.. What are your thoughts?<br>

Here are my thoughts on what songs were written on the first album in order.

1. Wicked World - I see Wicked World being the first song written because the riff is simplistic and it is also the most bluesy song written, it helps you think of the songs Sabbath covered in the very early days. This was hard to think of, but I do believe Geezer has a good memory of the Sabbath history and Wicked World is definitely early.

2. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath was written while the band was still called Earth, (so was Wicked World, I believe) It was written based on the experiences of Geezer Butler, seeing a "Big Black Shape" at the end of his bed. This also helps me believe that Wicked World came first because of Black Sabbath being completely about Geezer, also he claims the riff of the song was written out of inspiration of him playing the composition, "Mars" on his bass guitar. So It helps me believe that Geezer remembers pretty well what he is talking about.

3. Behind The Wall of Sleep - The only reason I believe this was the third song was that it was featured in the 1969 recording of Black Sabbath at Dumfries, Scotland. The lyrics are the same, and the song sounds completely complete, as to Black Sabbath and Wicked World. That is good evidence that Behind The Wall of Sleep was written third.

4. N.I.B - I believe that N.I.B was the fourth because it is also featured in the Dumfries, Scotland recording in 1969. The only reason I believe that Behind The Wall of sleep is younger then N.I.B is because the Lyrics are different. Behind The Wall's lyrics are the exact same as the finals

??? - The Wizard - I have absolutely no clue where to place The Wizard, rather it was written before or after Sleeping Village or not. The song is proven to have been played live in the late 60s and early 70s. But I am very unsure if it was before Sleeping Village or After. I could see it being before more then after because it has polished lyrics and is a full song, other than a long guitar solo- not to say Sleeping Villiage isn't a damn awesome song.

5. Sleeping Village - Sleeping Village was, in my opinion, the last written Black Sabbath song for their debut album, and it was probably a filler tune. It probably originated from the long guitar solos in the original live performances of Warning.

This is my opinion the Sabbath songs in order if you all believe it could be different let me know, I am very interested in the Black Sabbath - Wicked World debate. Also, there is confusion over the song Devil's Island, I've heard rumors that it is a never released song, mistakingly the name for The Wizard, and also the original name for Sleeping Village- Any Ideas?

The Wizard would have been written quite early on, as an earlier version of it exists as the b-side of the rare/unreleased 'When I Came Down' acetate single.
    Last edited by SweetSymptom; 12-20-2018 at 11:07 PM.

On his Speak of the Devil live album, Ozzy introduces the song Black Sabbath as being "...the very 1st song I ever wrote in my life."

Ted

I've seen both of them brought up; If seen Iommi and Osbourne say that Black Sabbath was the first song written, several times. But I have also seen Geezer Butler and I may have seen Iommi once say that Wicked World was the first song written. It's interesting to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    On his Speak of the Devil live album, Ozzy introduces the song Black Sabbath as being "...the very 1st song I ever wrote in my life."

Ted
    Very true, Ted. However this doesn't necessarily mean that it predates 'Wicked World', as Ozzy's contribution to that one would likely have just been vocal melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    Very true, Ted. However this doesn't necessarily mean that it predates 'Wicked World', as Ozzy's contribution to that one would likely have just been vocal melodies.
    I did consider that SweetSymptom and probably should have mentioned it in my previous comment. Due to the aforementioned blues influences WW does sound like it could have been the 1st song written.

Ted

I used to think it was Black Sabbath, but now I think it was Wicked World, Black Sabbath was written after they decided to change their name to Black Sabbath from Earth, so it seems probable that Wicked World would be their first song written as I'm sure they had material written before they changed the name of the band from Earth to Black Sabbath.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    ...it seems probable that Wicked World would be their first song written as I'm sure they had material written before they changed the name of the band from Earth to Black Sabbath.
    As I once read, you have your entire life to write the songs for your 1st album.

Ted