Post After Forever (Alternate Lyrics Translated!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_mQcpNuNA

This is a rare recording of the song After Forever, as far as I know only two recordings of the song exist in the early seventies. The other recording is at a small festival and is deep online somewhere, on that version Ozzy is singing the correct lyrics. This version is in January of 1971. Here is my translation of the lyrics after listening, enhancing, and making out what Ozzy is shouting. I plan on doing the same for Into the Void, and even the rare N.I.B recording of 1969.

Here are the lyrics, if you believe I messed up on any parts, feel free to correct me, I ask you listen to the song why looking at the lyrics, it helps:

Do you feel God's true When you think it's true When you know its the truth?
    Well you know it's life baby tell me why
    You gotta be true.
    Well everybody knows that God told her
    Why do you care?
    You think it's true you know it's a book baby what do I care?

Well you know is it true when they say to you that you gotta go there.
    Staying alone and praising God when you don't even care.
    Think it is sad well you're past that for you? And you don't wanna know.
    Do you believe in God because when you are there you say it's a no.

Ooh

Well I know its true baby what can I say when you wait for me every day.
    What can I do when there is nothing to say.
    Baby what can I do when You're on your own.

Oh, praise the god when you have to fall.
    Oh, baby what can I say when you're on your own.
    Everything is about to fall, Baby, what can I say when you're on your own.

Well, you think it's alive when the priest tells you why he wants you to pray.
    You're wishing your life why thinking to yourself oh what do I care?
    You one know that you don't wanna learn when you live in your grave.
    You fell and want to bail and you wanna be saved.

Well you know it's a lie when the priest tells you why you gotta pray.
    Speak to yourself when you gotta believe in what I say.
    Everyone knows you gotta go you don't lay in your grave.
    Instead of going down well I know you're down and playing a game.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackSabbathOddities For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (12-16-2018)

Thanks for sharing this! Never knew they did this live in the 70s before :] First time I clicked the link, I listened to it, now I'm listening to it again and read the lyrics this time :]

edit: Subbed to this thread b.c. I read the OP and look forward to seeing more discoveries from you :]
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

Thanks! Always happy to share my interest for Sabbath!

Thanks for the link, etc. The recording reminds me of the live version of Killing Yourself To Live on the Live at Last/Past Lives releases, which also has alternative lyrics. Both are obviously embryonic versions, as the live renditions were recorded prior to the respective studio albums they appeared on.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSabbathOddities View Post
    Thanks! Always happy to share my interest for Sabbath!
    No prob :]

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSabbathOddities View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_mQcpNuNA

This is a rare recording of the song After Forever, as far as I know only two recordings of the song exist in the early seventies. The other recording is at a small festival and is deep online somewhere, on that version Ozzy is singing the correct lyrics. This version is in January of 1971. Here is my translation of the lyrics after listening, enhancing, and making out what Ozzy is shouting. I plan on doing the same for Into the Void, and even the rare N.I.B recording of 1969.
    Thanks for sharing with us, love stuff like this, this reminds me of the improvising Ozzy did on the Paranoid song we get on the Deluxe Edition of the album in it's early stages.

I agree with Ted.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Thanks for sharing with us, love stuff like this, this reminds me of the improvising Ozzy did on the Paranoid song we get on the Deluxe Edition of the album in it's early stages.

I agree with Ted.
    LOVE the alt. lyrics Paranoid...was just listening to earlier...I personally LOVE the alt. ver of the "main chorus" which goes like "I wanna see you, smiiillinnng innnto mah faaaaccee, oooohh yeeeeaaaaahh"

Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    LOVE the alt. lyrics Paranoid...was just listening to earlier...I personally LOVE the alt. ver of the "main chorus" which goes like "I wanna see you, smiiillinnng innnto mah faaaaccee, oooohh yeeeeaaaaahh"
    Thanks for sharing. Good post. I will say those lyrics are off, the lyrics actually being closer to the original than suggested. The lyrics are still about salvation through Christ, and the one listening to Geezer's appeals is spurning him. For instance, the last line rhymes "grave" with "end of our days" or "end of days."

Digging the lyrics of both versions, honestly. I would have never been able to figure them out on my own though. haha

Quote Originally Posted by 70sOzzyBlackSabbah! View Post
    I love them as well, Ozzy was good at improvising.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureustgo View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Good post. I will say those lyrics are off, the lyrics actually being closer to the original than suggested. The lyrics are still about salvation through Christ, and the one listening to Geezer's appeals is spurning him. For instance, the last line rhymes "grave" with "end of our days" or "end of days."
    This is how I've always interpreted the song.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)