Default I'm not sure why you forgot about how awesome "Methademic" is...

But it's time for you to get reacquainted.

Heavy as hell, Symptom paced, talking about Drugs.

Classic Sabbath

Pretty sweet solo, more akin to 70's soloing by Tony.

Enough change-ups and breaks to keep it interesting.

Back on the playlist, no skipping.

Who's forgotten about it? It's one of the Top 3 songs from 13.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Default I'm not sure why you forgot about how awesome "Methademic" is...

Probably in the minority here but I rather liked 13. Was not sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but it was a good album imho. Methademic is an amazing tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    Probably in the minority here but I rather liked 13. Was not sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but it was a good album imho. Methademic is an amazing tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love 13 plus bonus tracks and all four of them, love The End too.

Methademic is a great song, right up there with Snowblind and Sweet Leaf as far as drug songs go, but it will never touch Hand Of Doom, that’s possibly my all time favorite Sabbath song.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I love 13 plus bonus tracks and all four of them, love The End too.

Methademic is a great song, right up there with Snowblind and Sweet Leaf as far as drug songs go, but it will never touch Hand Of Doom, that’s possibly my all time favorite Sabbath song.
    Me to OiD. Love me some Hand of Doom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maestro For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (02-17-2019)

I can hear why it didn't make the album.
    Undeniably great riff, but that is the norm for a song featuring Tony Iommi.

Best I can say is is that at least it doesn't sound like a derivative version of one of their older, better songs.

Sounds like Iommi solo with a bored, tired and unenthused Ozzy forced over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    I can hear why it didn't make the album.
    Undeniably great riff, but that is the norm for a song featuring Tony Iommi.

Best I can say is is that at least it doesn't sound like a derivative version of one of their older, better songs.

Sounds like Iommi solo with a bored, tired and unenthused Ozzy forced over the top.
    I tend to agree for the most part Wheels. Sounds very much like it could have come from an Iommi solo album. Kick ass none the less.

There's no denying that it kicks ass, as Tony and Geezer locked in together is prone to do.

There's no denying that it kicks ass, as Tony and Geezer locked in together is prone to do.
    Amen brother

I thought Ozzy sounded like shit on most of it, but still a far better song than Loner or Live Forever, Should have been one of the main 8. Either of those other 2 songs would have been more appropriate on either set of extra tracks. 13 needed a drug song.

I actually like how Ozzy sounds on this. He almost seems to be taking on a character. He sounds like a snide gargoyle in a good way, best way I can describe it, until the "you try to stop, but it controls you..." where he has more energy and reach than most of the rest of the 13 album and extras.

IDK, for my money this and GID? are the only two songs where Ozzy is in a pocket, doing his best within the confines of his aged struggles.

Straight up , "13" can hold its own against ANY of the other 26 remaining Sabbath Albums... hands down!

Don't talk to me about rehashed material , if your not sitting on your hands - like say - Led Zep , and your releasing 27 album Gems in a row .... and outside of "8TH STAR" , "DEP" and "IOMMI" - two tracks , one single riff - "Don't You Tell Me" , "Black Oblivion" - You have NEVER rehashed , why not throw one BEAST of an album out there , with some beautiful Easter Eggs to past journeys - KUDOS SABBATH!

"13" is a double album MASTERPIECE , with a very specific 16 track release order , making it so darn special .... being the only double album to surpass both "The White Album" and "Degradation Trip" ..... absolutely love the double "thunder , rain" ending of album proper "Dear Father" and second side "Cry All Night" - making "Take Me Home" and "Isolated Man" like a double album encore ... brilliant.

Ranking this album's material is near impossible .....

16) Live Forever - LOVE! THIS! TRACK! ,,, ridiculously KOOL chorus!

15) Naïveté in Black - love how it resembles "Loser Gets It All" (Forbidden) , and ABSOLUTELY love the ending.

14) Methademic - agree with William , Ozzy owns this track , but in a very unorthodox way ,,, and that FN riff!! - so awesome.

13) Loner - fantastic drumming , the perfect simplicity just makes it ,, and that hanging bass note ... please give me more!

12) Take Me Home - JUST BEAUTIFUL!

11) Cry All Night - that mid section is to live for! ... one of the best moments on the entire release.

10) Isolated Man - That JAM! That JAM! That JAM! Iommi just brilliant.

9) Pariah - Song is a friggin monster , would be the best track on any other bands album ,, in fact this song is highly recommended to anyone who needs to understand the greatness of THIS band.

8) Peace Of Mind - album version and extended version ... "Sins Of The Father" (Dehumanizer) moment ... those DRUMS ,, in many ways my favorite track off of "13".

7) Zeitgeist - I CAN LISTEN TO THIS TRACK ONE HUNDRED TIMES A DAY , and 200 times on Sunday ...... friggin EXCELLENT song , excellent!

6) Age Of Reason - EPIC!

5) Season Of The Dead - a top 20 SABBATH composition! Ozzy outrageous!

4) GID? - Ozzy's best moment since 1978 ..... another Iommi MASTERPIECE .... loved when BSO was anticipating this moment , and that iHeartRadio version just "killed" it - what a moment , what a song!

3) Damaged Soul - a top 15 SABBATH moment .... absolutely BRILLIANT!

2) Dear Father - The most raw Ozzy moment since 1975 , IOMMI is genius , Geezer's creation , and Wilk destroys it!

1) ... my goodness , that "You Won't Change Me" (Technical Ecstasy) , "Deep Inside A Shell" (Fused) , "The Spell" (Fused) moment - gives me chills! .... frankly the top track on this album is one of Black Sabbath's finest moments EVER - top 5 , maybe even top 3 tracks they have EVER written .... and the last 3 mins are some of the most bone chilling moments in BLACK SABBATH'S ENTIRE CAREER - any era.

..... simply put "END OF THE BEGINNING" is as good as Sabbath gets.

What an album!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BACK TO EDEN For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (02-17-2019), The Sabman Cometh (02-18-2019)

Well said Doc, 13, the bonus tracks all four of them and The End all phenomenal, love every single song!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

13 is a soulless bore, there's no heart to it and I wish they never made it.

You guys are off your fucking rockers calling it a masterpiece...there's not one song on it that is "great" let alone a masterpiece.

I get that it's your respective, honour bound duties to lap this shit up but get real, it's one of the weakest albums to bear the name.

You guys are off your fucking rockers calling it a masterpiece...there's not one song on it that is "great" let alone a masterpiece.

I get that it's your respective, honour bound duties to lap this shit up but get real, it's one of the weakest albums to bear the name.
    There is no honor bound duties Wheels, I truly love this album, the bonus tracks, The End everything.

I remember when I first heard it, the smile I got and remember thinking, this is Sabbath!

Everyone has their opinion but 13 is a great album. I thought it sounded good. I myself would rather listen to 13 over Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die, to me it sounds more like their earlier stuff.

Doc, excellent analysis. The Wheels have fallen off again.

13 delivered an early Sabbath sound and vibe despite a 35 year gap between 13 and NSD. God is Dead, End of the Beginning, Age of Reason, Season of the Dead, and Damaged Soul are new additions to the list of classic Sabbath songs. The rest of 13 and the End bonus tracks are solid as well. There was simply no way that the combination of Ozzy + Tony + Geezer would fail to create many more instances of greatness. It had been nearly 30 years since I looked forward to a new release nearly as much as 13. I expected a quality album, but I did not dare wish for an album that could rank favorably with the original 8. From the first listen of God Is dead, I knew that the masters overcame time and the loss of Bill, and produced a sound that took me back to Master of Reality. There were no experimental, keyboard heavy tracks, or lighter shades evident on TE and NSD. The heaviness and doom was back with a vengeance! Oh Lord yeah!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sabman Cometh For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (02-19-2019)

"13" may not be on par with Sabbaths greatest moments and it's not an album I frequently revisit. But in my opinion it is still a good album. I'd place it somewhere in the middle of a ranking of all their albums. I dig it and I'm glad they made it.

The Devil You Know was a pretty disappointing album too, but it at least had 2 songs that truly did/do rival anything that lineup had done before.

Can't honestly say anything on 13 is truly great or holds a candle to that lineups previous work...well ok, psycho man and selling my soul, they are on a par I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabman Cometh View Post
    Doc, excellent analysis. The Wheels have fallen off again.

13 delivered an early Sabbath sound and vibe despite a 35 year gap between 13 and NSD. God is Dead, End of the Beginning, Age of Reason, Season of the Dead, and Damaged Soul are new additions to the list of classic Sabbath songs. The rest of 13 and the End bonus tracks are solid as well. There was simply no way that the combination of Ozzy + Tony + Geezer would fail to create many more instances of greatness. It had been nearly 30 years since I looked forward to a new release nearly as much as 13. I expected a quality album, but I did not dare wish for an album that could rank favorably with the original 8. From the first listen of God Is dead, I knew that the masters overcame time and the loss of Bill, and produced a sound that took me back to Master of Reality. There were no experimental, keyboard heavy tracks, or lighter shades evident on TE and NSD. The heaviness and doom was back with a vengeance! Oh Lord yeah!!
    Sabman, you always say what I'm thinking, I dare not compare it to the Great 8, but I top it in the 10 spot after the Devine 9, making it the Zen ten.

Sabman, you always say what I'm thinking, I dare not compare it to the Great 8, but I top it in the 10 spot after the Devine 9, making it the Zen ten.
    Great way to put it OiD. I feel the same

26. The Following User Says Thank You to maestro For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (02-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    Great way to put it OiD. I feel the same

Thanks brother!

I like the song although the effects on Ozzys vocals drag it down a bit for me. On a related note I loved Tony’s (or was it Geezer?) response to Ozzy being busted for smoking Meth during the “13” sessions. “We didn’t notice anything other than Ozzy was talking a lot”. Ha!

I loved 13 and the EP, What a great ending.

I bought a bootleg-copy of "The End"-EP off eBay and listened to it for the first time yesterday. And I can see why the songs were left off of "13". The songs that ended up on the album, on the standard edition that is, are the best ones, easily. I don't know how much that says about the album or about the end of Sabbath, but that's my two cents anyways.

As for ranking "13" among the other albums, I'd put it somewhere in the lower tier. Like their 14th-15th best album or something like that.

I think it's far from a masterpiece and really only a mega fan would call it such but I came to enjoy it very much the more I listened. Some of it is certainly nostalgia since everything sounds like something else they did but moreso it's just more Sabbath to listen to. There's only so much and there are countless days I wish there were more. At least it is a doomy, Sabbathy album and they didn't try to do today's crappy metalcore whiny bullshit. 13 is actually better than it should have been.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DARKEST LIGHT For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    I bought a bootleg-copy of "The End"-EP off eBay and listened to it for the first time yesterday. And I can see why the songs were left off of "13". The songs that ended up on the album, on the standard edition that is, are the best ones, easily. I don't know how much that says about the album or about the end of Sabbath, but that's my two cents anyways.

As for ranking "13" among the other albums, I'd put it somewhere in the lower tier. Like their 14th-15th best album or something like that.
    Not even Season Of The Dead?

Not even Season Of The Dead?
    No, that EP was a huuuuuge dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    No, that EP was a huuuuuge dissapointment.
    Wow, sorry you feel that way, I love it, the entire EP.