Default Did Bill play many live show from Aug 80 to Reunion?

I always wondered what Bill did from when he left Sabbath in August 1980 to the reunion years, I know he recorded Born again, The mezmerist, and his 2 solo albums. I have read where he worked with guitar player walter trout for a while and worked with a band called Englands glory.

Quote Originally Posted by sellingmysoul View Post
    I always wondered what Bill did from when he left Sabbath in August 1980 to the reunion years, I know he recorded Born again, The mezmerist, and his 2 solo albums. I have read where he worked with guitar player walter trout for a while and worked with a band called Englands glory.
    I always wondered how he got by, those were long spans in-between.

I know he gets royalties from Sabbath, but is that enough to live off?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Almost every song Sabbath released in the 70's (w/Ozzy) and 1980 (H&H) was credited to all 4 band Members; Sabbath certainly remained musically active enough after Bill left the 1st time to ensure he received enough in the way of royalties to at least get by. Plus all of the money he would have earned from touring, etc. with the band.

Ted

I always wondered how he got by, those were long spans in-between.

That is a good question, because it sounded like he was living on the street for a while and it is not like his solo albums made him very much money. I just wonder what he did in that long of a span.

That is a good question, because it sounded like he was living on the street for a while and it is not like his solo albums made him very much money. I just wonder what he did in that long of a span.
    I wonder too, does Bill have a biography book?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

I wonder too, does Bill have a biography book?
    Not that I know of, it would be cool to read a tell all book from him as the man is very smart.

I don't think Blue Thunder (Bill, Walter Trout, Tim Bogert, Danny Abrahams) gigged frequently, since it seems like it was just something they did for fun. Bill was apparently in a band called Max Havoc (based out of LA) in around 1982-3. He doesn't appear on their sole album, and I don't know if they played many shows while he was in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    I don't think Blue Thunder (Bill, Walter Trout, Tim Bogert, Danny Abrahams) gigged frequently, since it seems like it was just something they did for fun. Bill was apparently in a band called Max Havoc (based out of LA) in around 1982-3. He doesn't appear on their sole album, and I don't know if they played many shows while he was in the band.
    I forgot about Max Havoc. Never understood why he never at least recorded more with other artists in that span.

I forgot about Max Havoc. Never understood why he never at least recorded more with other artists in that span.
    He might have, for all we know. It just mightn't have been released. I'm guessing Bill's well-documented issues from that period played a part in him not recording more.

He jammed with Ozzy's solo band once (at an audition or a rehearsal), but from memory that was closer to the end of the 1980s/early 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    Almost every song Sabbath released in the 70's (w/Ozzy) and 1980 (H&H) was credited to all 4 band Members; Sabbath certainly remained musically active enough after Bill left the 1st time to ensure he received enough in the way of royalties to at least get by. Plus all of the money he would have earned from touring, etc. with the band.

Ted
    Yes that I know, everything done in the 70's was credited to all four band members, that makes sense he would've been able to get by on royalties and the money he earned from touring, but he was homeless at one point and living on the streets as mentioned above.

I'm sure he gets by now pretty well, but I think we were talking about the period past the Born Again album, I think don't quote me on that.

Ya it just seems weird one of the most prolific drummers from the 1970's did not play many gigs for like 20 years. I would love to hear an interview with Bill talking about that time period.

Ya it just seems weird one of the most prolific drummers from the 1970's did not play many gigs for like 20 years. I would love to hear an interview with Bill talking about that time period.
    You'd think he would've gotten plenty of offers from established bands to play drums with them, and maybe he did and just couldn't get past the Ozzy/Sabbath thing at the time, or whatever mental issues he was going through at the time, the mind is a powerful thing, I know, I've gone through some myself, but never to the point where I became homeless thank God.

You'd think he would've gotten plenty of offers from established bands to play drums with them, and maybe he did and just couldn't get past the Ozzy/Sabbath thing at the time, or whatever mental issues he was going through at the time, the mind is a powerful thing, I know, I've gone through some myself, but never to the point where I became homeless thank God.
    Ya it did always seem Bill was dedicated to Ozzy when it came to Sabbath, but unfortunately that backfired . OID I hope you had a good Easter buddy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sellingmysoul For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (04-22-2019)

Ya it did always seem Bill was dedicated to Ozzy when it came to Sabbath, but unfortunately that backfired . OID I hope you had a good Easter buddy.
    Unfortunately it did backfire on him, Sellingmysoul, I had a great Easter, hope yours was great as well my friend.

Unfortunately it did backfire on him, Sellingmysoul, I had a great Easter, hope yours was great as well my friend.
    Thank you.

He was so strung out on various substances during that period that he was just trying to survive.

He was indeed homeless on Seal Beach in California; he said at one point that a telephone booth was his "office."

I don't think his first successful attempt at getting clean was until just before Born Again; as is widely known his experience with that caused him to go back to drink unfortunately.

He finally got fully sober, as I understand it, probably in 1984.

That would have been the time of the David Donato era, and he said he "walked away from that sober."

Kerrang! (Mick Wall) said that on Live Aid he was "out of practice."

As for what he did after that, up until the initial original-lineup reunion, other than Ward One: Along The Way and When The Bough Breaks, I don't know. Probably just trying to stay sober. As yours truly knows, that's a lot of hard work.

I am curious as to was he in the USA legally during the early '80s? He would still have been a British citizen.

I am also curious as to if he ever became a US citizen. I don't think he's lived permanently in Britain since 1980.

A book from him would be an eye-opening read, because, as has been said, he is quite intelligent.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Great post DiosSword, hopefully someone on here can answer your questions, I'd like to know the answers as well.

I'd love a book from Bill Ward, a full a biography about his life before Sabbath, during Sabbath and everything else leading up till present day.

I am assuming Bill had to live off of music Royalties payments for those years. A Book from him would be very interesting to hear him talk about that period in his life.

I am assuming Bill had to live off of music Royalties payments for those years. A Book from him would be very interesting to hear him talk about that period in his life.
    I assumed the same thing in a previous post I made near the top of this thread. but it has been stated in at least 1 other comment here that Bill was homeless for a period. I don't have any details on why he didn't have a home for awhile.

Ted

I assumed the same thing in a previous post I made near the top of this thread. but it has been stated in at least 1 other comment here that Bill was homeless for a period. I don't have any details on why he didn't have a home for awhile.

Ted
    You would have thought someone would have taken him in and given him a place to sleep, I'm sure he knew a lot of people.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 06-03-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo

You would have thought someone would have taken him in and given him a place to sleep, I'm sure he new a lot of people.
    Quite true. Joe Perry of Aerosmith slept on a couch outside of his Manager's office for a spell when he was basically homeless in the early nid-80's (due to his divorce).

Ted

Quite true. Joe Perry of Aerosmith slept on a couch outside of his Manager's office for a spell when he was basically homeless in the early nid-80's (due to his divorce).

Ted
    Divorce can do that to a person.

I just don’t understand Ted, someone should’ve lent the guy a hand.

Someone should have lent him a hand, but maybe he was so strung out that no-one wanted anything to do with him.

I'm surprised he didn't get deported from the USA in the early- mid-80s.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    Someone should have lent him a hand, but maybe he was so strung out that no-one wanted anything to do with him.

I'm surprised he didn't get deported from the USA in the early- mid-80s.
    That's very possible, having someone in your home that is strung out can't be pleasant and can be dangerous.

Are the Sabs citizens now? I know Ozzy is.

That's very possible, having someone in your home that is strung out can't be pleasant and can be dangerous.

I would assume so by now.

Really? Ozzy took out US citizenship? I know his son Jack did. I had thought Ozzy divided his time between the US and the UK.

A LOT of foreign rock stars live here for a LONG time and never take out citizenship. Pat Travers has lived in Florida since the '80s and I'm pretty sure he's still a Canadian citizen. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have lived here since the late '70s but are still British citizens. Ritchie Blackmore too.

Neil Peart of Rush became a US citizen, in no small part because his wife Carrie is from California.

It would seem natural for Bill Ward to have been, I don't think he's actually lived in the UK since the '80s.

Tony Iommi still lives in the UK. Geezer I'm not sure about. I know Geezer at one time lived in St Louis.

A friend of mine who saw Glenn Hughes live a few months ago told me that Glenn said something about "America being my homeland now" but whether or not he's taken out citizenship I don't know.

If you've ever had someone strung out being in your home - I did as a teenager with my alcoholic stepbrother - you know it can be a very trying experience.

But Bill's clean now, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    Really? Ozzy took out US citizenship? I know his son Jack did. I had thought Ozzy divided his time between the US and the UK.

A LOT of foreign rock stars live here for a LONG time and never take out citizenship. Pat Travers has lived in Florida since the '80s and I'm pretty sure he's still a Canadian citizen. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have lived here since the late '70s but are still British citizens. Ritchie Blackmore too.

Neil Peart of Rush became a US citizen, in no small part because his wife Carrie is from California.

It would seem natural for Bill Ward to have been, I don't think he's actually lived in the UK since the '80s.

Tony Iommi still lives in the UK. Geezer I'm not sure about. I know Geezer at one time lived in St Louis.

A friend of mine who saw Glenn Hughes live a few months ago told me that Glenn said something about "America being my homeland now" but whether or not he's taken out citizenship I don't know.

If you've ever had someone strung out being in your home - I did as a teenager with my alcoholic stepbrother - you know it can be a very trying experience.

But Bill's clean now, thank God.
    Yes I read or saw something, that Ozzy or Sharon said, can't remember now, that they became American citizens to escape the English taxes.

That the tax system in England practically takes all the profits musicians and other artists make.

It must be rough having an addict of any sort living in your home.

I still have high hopes that Bill will release new Day of Errors music and Beyond Aston, but DOE would be more likely to be released, I remember Bill stating in an interview about 10 years ago that one of the songs for Beyond Aston had Ozzie singing on it...

I still have high hopes that Bill will release new Day of Errors music and Beyond Aston, but DOE would be more likely to be released, I remember Bill stating in an interview about 10 years ago that one of the songs for Beyond Aston had Ozzie singing on it...
    I'm hoping for the same, both Day Of Errors and the long awaited Beyond Aston, that would be nice, I have all of Bill's work except for the single Straws he released a limited number of, it's going for a pretty steep price, the last time I checked.

The Ozzy song should be super cool if it exists.