Default The Secret Missing Lost Black Sabbath Song.

In 1968, Toni Iommi's band, "Mythology" had broken up after being caught by police with Cannabis.

I have personally seen a ton of rumors online come up of extreme early Black Sabbath songs, with no lead at all. No proof, no one to back it up. One thing I did hear only brought up once was a rumor of a Jimmy Rushing cover of the song, "Evenin'."
    We can now confirm this is 100% not a rumor. This did happen. And somewhere, there could exist a recording of it.

Evenin' is a Jazz song released by Jimmy Rushing, a black jazz musician. Evenin's lyrics have a very bluesy sound. The lyrics talking about the howling and fear of a man who lost his woman. Something you could very well see sabbath performing in their early Earth days.

As for my proof. Here is a transcript of me personally asking Jim Simpson about it. I will post updates If he replies back to me. I will not say where and how I am in contact with him for his sake, but Jim is an extremely nice man who loves discussing Sabbath and their wild early days. He is currently promoting his book, and I highly recommend you purchase it. This could be a new bust in the gold mine that is Sabbath oddities. The more attention we push towards this, the more information that can be spread.

The Conversation. Very Short so far:

Me::I am a young and very avid collector of Black Sabbath. Early Sabbath, (Earth) I was hoping to ask you if you have ever heard of these following early songs.

-Saddness
    -The Full Version of When I Came Down
    -The Evening Song
    -Devils Island.

These songs are widely spread as no more than rumors and It would be very beneficial if we could try and clear some of the bleak dust surrounding the early Sabbath land. With Sabbath now disbanded, it is great to look back on! Please get back to me, thank you for your time!

Jim Simpson (1 day later):: Hello [BLACKSABBATHODDITIES], thanks for contacting me. I don't know of Saddness, nor Devil's Island - what Sabbath period would that have been? And I wasn't aware that there was a full version of When I Came Down.

However, what you refer to as The Evening Song must be Evenin', the Jimmy rushing feature with an early County Basie Band - a classic. I produced the Black Sabbath version in Birmingham before we landed our record deal - and the band did a really good job of it - Ozzy's vocal was top notch. Did you know that Brewin Books are putting out a book by myself next week, Don't Worry 'Bout The Bear, telling the story of how I met and managed Sabbath? http://www.bigbearmusic.com/product/...bout-the-bear/

Me:: I'll be sure to purchase the book Jim! Would you know if the version of Evenin' with Sabbath will be released, or if it even still exists? The Devils Island and Saddness dates back to 1968. Have you seen the recently leaked "Live in Dumfries Concert"? Its the earliest recording of Black Sabbath, they played songs such as "Let Me Love You Baby" "Blue Coat Man" and "Early Morning Blues" ever heard of those?

-------END OF CONVERSATION SO FAR----

With Jim's participation, this could be a great breakthrough for knowledge of Sabbath's early history. There is a good chance we could be onto something well. If you all have any questions you wish for me to ask please let me know. I will post updates if anything changes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackSabbathOddities For This Useful Post:

maestro (06-15-2019), OzzyIsDio (06-15-2019), ronn (06-21-2019), Ted Sallis (06-16-2019)

Default The Secret Missing Lost Black Sabbath Song.

These are the type of posts that make my day. Super interesting. Do let us know once Jim replies. This is super cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maestro For This Useful Post:

BlackSabbathOddities (06-15-2019)

Thank you BlackSabbathOddities, love stuff like this, early Sabbath (Earth) is my passion, I was wondering if you can do me a favor and ask Jim Simpson about A Song For Jim with Lyrics that he has in his vault and if he'll ever release it?

Like Maestro said, this post made my day.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

BlackSabbathOddities (06-15-2019)

Isn't Devils Island the original name for The Wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
    Isn't Devils Island the original name for The Wizard?
    We don't really know! In the demo recording, Ozzy says, "This isn't the Devils Island, it's The Wizard." So if it was once called Devil's Island, I wonder if the lyrics were different. Or of Devil's Island was just another song.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSabbathOddities View Post
    We don't really know! In the demo recording, Ozzy says, "This isn't the Devils Island, it's The Wizard." So if it was once called Devil's Island, I wonder if the lyrics were different. Or of Devil's Island was just another song.

'Devil's Island' was first considered to be an early version of 'Sleeping Village', so it's possible that's what Ozzy was referring to on the outtakes. This has me curious now if (assuming that's the case) the record company changed the title from 'Devil's Island' to 'Sleeping Village' (owing to having 'Devil' in the title) or if it's something Sabbath did, reflective of a change in the lyrics.

BlackSabbathOddities, thank you for sharing your exchanges with the great Jim Simpson, I'm curious now if 'Sadness' was a similar blues standard. Interesting that Jim confirms that there is (or was) indeed a recording of the band doing 'Evenin''.
    Last edited by SweetSymptom; 06-18-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Thank you BlackSabbathOddities! Yours is exactly the kind of thread that makes me (us) glad to both be a Sabbath fan and a frequent visitor to this website/these Forums. I too am looking forward to updates regarding this.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Thank you BlackSabbathOddities, love stuff like this, early Sabbath (Earth) is my passion, I was wondering if you can do me a favor and ask Jim Simpson about A Song For Jim with Lyrics that he has in his vault and if he'll ever release it?

Like Maestro said, this post made my day.
    Me- Hey friend, I have a buddy in a fourm wanting me to ask if you happen to have "A song for Jim's" lyrics available, or if there are any lyrics at all. Or any light to shed. Also, I looked over and will be buying your book. Looks like a great read! thanks

Jim Simpson - Hi BlackSabOddities, Song For Jim is actually an instrumental, so no lyrics

A Song for Jim never had lyrics. IMO its actually just the melody of Bus Stop by the Hollies.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackSabbathOddities For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (06-22-2019)

Me- Hey friend, I have a buddy in a fourm wanting me to ask if you happen to have "A song for Jim's" lyrics available, or if there are any lyrics at all. Or any light to shed. Also, I looked over and will be buying your book. Looks like a great read! thanks

Jim Simpson - Hi BlackSabOddities, Song For Jim is actually an instrumental, so no lyrics

A Song for Jim never had lyrics. IMO its actually just the melody of Bus Stop by the Hollies.

This track absolutely does exist with a "scratch" vocal .... a lyrical version of "A Song For Jim" may not be the intended end result - but it exist.

Also thank you my good brother for the friend request!

..... and GREAT thread!

Doc

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BACK TO EDEN For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (06-22-2019), ronn (06-21-2019)

Sounds like it.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    This track absolutely does exist with a "scratch" vocal .... a lyrical version of "A Song For Jim" may not be the intended end result - but it exist.
    So if true, does that mean there are (at least) 2 recordings of Song For Jim?

The plot thickens...

Ted

I don't know of Saddness, nor Devil's Island - what Sabbath period would that have been? And I wasn't aware that there was a full version of When I Came Down.

However, what you refer to as The Evening Song must be Evenin', the Jimmy rushing feature with an early County Basie Band - a classic. I produced the Black Sabbath version in Birmingham before we landed our record deal - and the band did a really good job of it -
    ........ "Sadness" title was used ,,,, "Devil's Island" is a bit more than a working title ,,,, 100% a full version of "When I Came Down" exist ,,,, yes to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post

The plot thickens...

Ted
    ..... + live

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BACK TO EDEN For This Useful Post:

ronn (06-21-2019)

How can Jim not know that a full version of WICD is out there, head scratcher

All of the pre "Legit" recordings don't move the needle for me. It all sounds like Blue Suede Shoes to me.

I'll get excited when it's something from after the debut album. I feel like there's probably a bunch of 1/2 songs from Vol 4/SBS era.

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    All of the pre "Legit" recordings don't move the needle for me. It all sounds like Blue Suede Shoes to me.

I'll get excited when it's something from after the debut album. I feel like there's probably a bunch of 1/2 songs from Vol 4/SBS era.
    Although I am into obtaining more from Sabbath's very early and pre-history, I confess that I'm still holding out for previously unreleased material from the Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage eras most of all.

Ted

Although I am into obtaining more from Sabbath's very early and pre-history, I confess that I'm still holding out for previously unreleased material from the Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage eras most of all.

Ted
    Same here Ted and William. Those are the eras I’m interested in the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And great rockers like When i came down. Thatīs why you donīt like Rock n Roll Doctor too.
    Last edited by Kennyz; 06-22-2019 at 01:29 PM.

BlackSabbathOddities thank you so much for asking Jim for me, I thought Jim had the lyrical version of Song For Jim.

Also thank you my good brother for the friend request!

..... and GREAT thread!

Doc
    Doc, I know it exists, because you told me so, thank you for answering my Song For Jim question the other day, we've discussed this before, long ago and proof it exists is you heard the lyrical version of Song For Jim.

The plot thickens...

Ted
    According to Doc and Doc is infallible when it comes to Sabbath, 3 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    Ronn I was thinking the same thing, Doc has heard the full version of When I Came Down and our very own Joe D' aka WICD has the full version of the song, I remember awhile back a few years ago Doc was in negotiations with Joe D, to buy it.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Love everything early Sabbath (Earth) I want more of it.

Ted
    I'm holding out for everything, from debut album to 13 including the Bill Ward sessions of 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    And great rockers as When i came down. Thatīs why you donīt like Rock n Roll Doctor too.
    Love Rock 'n' Roll Doctor, and what I've heard of When I came Down.

I'm holding out for everything, from debut album to 13 including the Bill Ward sessions of 13.
    Awesome. You are a Trouper!

Ted

According to Doc and Doc is infallible when it comes to Sabbath, 3 versions.
    Wow. So would these be the 3 versions:

1. Song For Jim (instrumental)
    2. Song For Jim (with 'scratch' vocals)
    3. Song For Jim (live, with vocals)

Ted

Wow. So would these be the 3 versions:

3. Song For Jim (live, with vocals)

Ted

I think it’s more like this Ted:

3. Song For Jim (live, without vocals)

If I’m wrong Doc can correct me.

Love Rock 'n' Roll Doctor, and what I've heard of When I came Down.
    Yes,two great songs thatīs for sure.

If what you're saying is true, then it is white strange that Jim has little to no recollection of a lyrical version of the song. I have asked him again along with other questions about the song, curious to know what he says. I asked yesterday, hoping for a response soon. Talking about a lyrical version of A Song For Jim sounds excellent. Hey, Doc, if you can somehow come in possession or possibly purchase the lyrical version of the song, I would gladly pitch in to help. This is something I've wanted to see for almost 6 years. Do you have any recollection or memory of the melody, lyrics, or solos? Was there a drum solo? How long was it? You have any information you'd be willing to share?

If what you're saying is true, then it is white strange that Jim has little to no recollection of a lyrical version of the song. I have asked him again along with other questions about the song, curious to know what he says. I asked yesterday, hoping for a response soon. Talking about a lyrical version of A Song For Jim sounds excellent. Hey, Doc, if you can somehow come in possession or possibly purchase the lyrical version of the song, I would gladly pitch in to help. This is something I've wanted to see for almost 6 years. Do you have any recollection or memory of the melody, lyrics, or solos? Was there a drum solo? How long was it? You have any information you'd be willing to share?
    Tell you what , let us know what Jim says to your new questions and will go from there .... What I will say is that it absolutely exist along with a complete version of WICD ,,,, Both the instrumental and "lyrical" versions are NOT for purchase as of this moment , and the price is too high for my world on WICD , but I love your passion and this thread - KUDOS!

100% correct my brother , and the live version is more than once.

God Bless Sabbath maniacs!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BACK TO EDEN For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (06-29-2019)

Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio

100% correct my brother , and the live version is more than once.
    God Bless Sabbath maniacs!
    Thank you very much OID and BTE.

Ted

Biggrin Update 2/28/19

Still no reply from Jim yet. I've asked and accounted for everyone in this thread. I suppose he is busy seeing he was with a couple of bands according to his online media. I will update any speculation or responses. I also want to reassure everyone that I am definitely in contact with the real Jim Simpson, everything is 100% legit. I do not want to leak anything that could be an invasion of his privacy, but if anyone doesn't believe me, I will be more than happy to show any proof I can, as long as it doesn't invade his privacy. Everything I have told you has come from his responses. No added speculation unless noted. I hope we can get more info to uncover more of early Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    Jim was focused more on the bigger ideas at the time , not the little details , and now with so much that has happened obviously since the late 60s , things like "WICD" and "A Song For Jim" become even more distant in his brain and thoughts.

Some of Ward's answers on these early non tracks are just as fascinating of a "head scratcher".

Still no reply from Jim yet. I've asked and accounted for everyone in this thread. I suppose he is busy seeing he was with a couple of bands according to his online media. I will update any speculation or responses. I also want to reassure everyone that I am definitely in contact with the real Jim Simpson, everything is 100% legit. I do not want to leak anything that could be an invasion of his privacy, but if anyone doesn't believe me, I will be more than happy to show any proof I can, as long as it doesn't invade his privacy. Everything I have told you has come from his responses. No added speculation unless noted. I hope we can get more info to uncover more of early Sabbath
    My good brother , your answers 100% prove your talking to the REAL Jim , I know how he would respond and what your putting down is exactly spot on ..... KUDOS to a job well done for BSO!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BACK TO EDEN For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (06-29-2019)

BlackSabbathOddities, no need to prove anything brother, like Doc says we believe you.

Thank you for keeping us supplied with valuable Sabbath info.

Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio

Thank you very much OID and BTE.

Ted
    Ted my good brother, anytime.

Hey BLACKSABBATHODDITIES,
    Do you have a complete list of songs? Any from the Dio era?

I'm not an extreme fanatic of the Dio era. Anything on YouTube is all that I am aware of

I still have not received a message from Jim as of July 22, 2019

I still have not received a message from Jim as of July 22, 2019

Do you have a comprehensive list of all songs from this period? Maybe a 'Verified List' and 'Rumored List'.

And what was the deal with songs like Weevil Woman? That just kind of came out of no where. Makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    Do you have a comprehensive list of all songs from this period? Maybe a 'Verified List' and 'Rumored List'.

And what was the deal with songs like Weevil Woman? That just kind of came out of no where. Makes you wonder.
    I'm still holding out for Song For Jim w/lyrics, perhaps this is the surprise Sharon was talking about when asked about her husband releasing an album after this tour, unreleased Sabbath songs, she bought the rights to.

Weevil Woman was written after the Jim Simpson era, he would have no memory of it. My speculation is that Weevil Woman was just scrapped. It isn't really good. I used to believe it wasn't even real. When the official release came out I was proven wrong. I personally believe Weevil Woman was just scrapped because though it has a lot of potentials, it wasn't complete and needed a lot of work done.

Weevil Woman was written after the Jim Simpson era, he would have no memory of it. My speculation is that Weevil Woman was just scrapped. It isn't really good. I used to believe it wasn't even real. When the official release came out I was proven wrong. I personally believe Weevil Woman was just scrapped because though it has a lot of potentials, it wasn't complete and needed a lot of work done.
    I thought Weevil Woman was done in parody gesture towards them having to record the cover song Evil Woman, which they weren't fond of doing, but were made to do, to satisfy Jim Simpson, I though I read that somewhere.